PDA

View Full Version : This. Is. Weird.

Amber_Maiden
September 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I thought this was really weird.

It's a tip from this link (http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/35-lifechanging-ways-to-use-everyday-objects).

"9. Use diluted fabric softener as a leave-in hair conditioner."

Ok… I'm thinking this tip is really not a good one, and probably pretty toxic… I don't think it works.

Thoughts?

Sharysa
September 29th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Yeeeeeeah, that's either taken WAY out of context or it's completely misguided and dangerous.

I mean, some natural herbal fabric softeners have also doubled as hair treatments throughout history, but most modern people's idea of fabric softener is a jug of Downy.

Aliped
September 29th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I've read that before too..... bizarre!

Tota
September 29th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Sick! I don't even use it on my clothes anymore.

Kaelee
September 29th, 2012, 12:28 PM
On the other hand, the reverse IS true: hair conditioner makes a darn good fabric softener for wool. (My mom actually did this. I said it as a joke: "it's hair right? wash it with conditioner!!!" my mom thought this was a GREAT idea (I really was joking) so she tried it. Turns out it really WAS a great idea!)

piffyanne
September 29th, 2012, 01:02 PM
On the other hand, the reverse IS true: hair conditioner makes a darn good fabric softener for wool. (My mom actually did this. I said it as a joke: "it's hair right? wash it with conditioner!!!" my mom thought this was a GREAT idea (I really was joking) so she tried it. Turns out it really WAS a great idea!)
I love this idea!

What with reenacting, I'm SURE I'll need to wash wool sometime! :rolleyes:

I think the idea of using fabric softener was already discussed on this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100945).

Is there a way the mods could combine the threads, or is this a different enough topic?

Tota
September 29th, 2012, 01:24 PM

What a great idea! I really need to try this. I stopped using fabric softeners because I got rashes from it (even from the ones that are labelled as "sensitive" and have a photo of a baby on it). I love you for posting this :flower:

supbanana
September 29th, 2012, 05:11 PM
At first I thought it was a crazy idea because of the harsh chemicals... and then I realized most shampoos/conditioners are made up of harsh chemicals. I still wouldn't do it though.

Kelikea
September 29th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I've diluted it in a spray bottle to help with static. I wouldn't use it as a leave-in conditioner, though.

melusine963
September 30th, 2012, 07:02 AM

:bigeyes: Next time I have to wash something made of wool I'm totally trying this.

AineMuirne
September 30th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Vinegar makes a great fabric softener and we use that in our hair! But yeah... no way I'd put Downy on my hair.

Piyo
September 30th, 2012, 07:12 AM
I certainly wouldn't try this. >_< I haven't looked in the ingredients list of fabric softener in awhile, but I imagine it's far from natural... seems like something that would leave too much residue.