PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the moving part

Tap Dancer
August 11th, 2008, 03:56 AM
For the first 15 years of my life, I wore my hair parted in the center. That's my natural part. But over the last 15 years, I've worn it parted to the left side. I think a side part is more flattering on me. Anyway, over the last few days, I've parted my hair on the side as usual. But when I look at my hair in the mirror, only a few hours later, it's moved to the center. :lol: I don't know why/how it's moving and it doesn't look bad but I still like the side part best, so I move it back. Does anyone else's hair do things like this? :rolleyes:

sipnsun
August 11th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Do you run your hands through your hair? If so, this could be moving your hair back to where it wants to fall naturally. Maybe you could try some aloe gel (if you haven't already) to set your hair before going out.

Igor
August 11th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Ah, yes when it comes to parting I seriously drew the short straw in the genetic lottery. I can’t hold a decent part without any kind of leave in-conditioner or restraining it in any way :rolleyes:
I suggest you go with that until your follicles have adapted some to the new parting. They might never do so, but forcing it for a while might make then “twist” enough to hold the part better in the future

FrannyG
August 11th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I have a similar situation. I can part my hair and even let it dry completely on one side, but it takes nothing at all to have it ending up parted in the middle.

I like Igor's advice of trying to force a part, perhaps with a clip or something of that nature. Some people can train their follicles to move a different way. I am not one of those people, however.

Good luck. :flowers:

paper
August 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I also parted my hair in the middle for years! It never quite looked right, so one day, I parted my hair where it was giving me trouble. I guess thats my "natural" part.

Sorry to change the subject. But, my hair/head hurts if I change the part when it's dry. Why is that? Anyone else like that?

berr
August 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Do you have a cowlick at your natural part? I can part my hair anywhere. It eventually reparts where the cowlick is located.

Igor
August 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Sorry to change the subject. But, my hair/head hurts if I change the part when it's dry. Why is that? Anyone else like that?

It’s probably because the hair and skin is less soft and flexible when dry. The follicle is “angled” in the skin and points the hair out in a genetically determined direction (As in parts or cow licks) so you’re forcing it against the position it dried in and pulling the tissue around the follicle

Tap Dancer
August 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Do you have a cowlick at your natural part? I can part my hair anywhere. It eventually reparts where the cowlick is located.

I'm not entirely sure what a cowlick is...but I have an idea. If it helps, my hair lays flat all over. I've never had any "stuck up or out" areas.

Islandgrrl
August 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
My natural part is slightly to the right of center. No matter where I deliberately part my hair, if I'm wearing it down (which won't happen for another couple of months because of the hair up for a year challenge) it ALWAYS reverts to its natural place. I have really cowlicky hair, so I've completely given up.

paper
August 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
It’s probably because the hair and skin is less soft and flexible when dry. The follicle is “angled” in the skin and points the hair out in a genetically determined direction (As in parts or cow licks) so you’re forcing it against the position it dried in and pulling the tissue around the follicle

That makes sense, thanks for answering. :) When I was a kid and had long hair, I can remember playing with my hair at school and changing the part and getting a wicked headache later in the day.

Anje
August 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I've had something like that for years. I try to part my hair on the left, and it often reparts itself in the middle by the end of the day, even if I have the hair restrained (like in a braid). And I don't really have a history of a long-standing center part. It's just what my hair likes to do.

Tap Dancer
August 11th, 2008, 05:23 PM
It's just weird that this is happening after 15 years. I'm usually very aware of when I'm playing with my hair but who knows? Maybe I'm not as aware as I think. And now that I've said something, my hair has been behaving all day. :lol: