PDA

View Full Version : Good updos for knotted hair?

Natalia
September 28th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Ok its not the worst thing in the world better than ripping through damp tangles but i constantly am bunning up my tangled hair. I have this addiction to the cinnabun since it hides it so well but i need a change. So what are some good updo's that you can toss your tangled hair into?

My tangles start at the nape and are their worst at the top of my shoulders if that helps.

Wahinee
September 28th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I do a tight nautilus bun. I used to detangle my hair once a week, now I do it 3 times a week because i'm shedding a lot but I plan on going back down to once a week eventually.

MeowScat
September 29th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Hmmm, I'm thinking a French twist or a Gibson tuck.

Both of them would roll your tangles up and the tangles could give you extra volume in the roll.

My go-to is the cinnabun, as well. My latest love is the lazy wrap held with one six and a half inch hair stick.

melusine963
September 29th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I second Wahinee' nautilus bun suggestion.

melusine963
September 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM
No pun intended, but you could always try Torrin Paige's knot bun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE. I don't have french combs, but my spin pins do a good job of keeping it in place.

Wild Strawberry
September 29th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Do you think bunning uncombed hair is very damaging? I do this pretty much lately (no time) and it helps a bit with my slippery hair, but maybe I should stop?

Madora
September 29th, 2012, 04:00 PM
If you do not address the tangles while they are still wet, they are 10 times as horrible to deal with when dry, and you'll have damage from breakage like no tomorrow!

Use a drop or 2 of mineral oil (on your hands) then apply to damp hair. Use a wide tooth comb to gently detangle - IN SMALL SECTIONS - then put it up.

If you don't get those snarls out when the hair is damp, they dry hard and tight and detangling will be a nightmare when dry.

ratgirldjh
September 29th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I can't detangle my hair at all when wet or even damp. By the time it dries completely however all the tangles just fall out by themselves.

I stick my hair up wet onto a loose lazy wrap or tight cinnabun on my head and take it down when it dries a little bit and then put it back up. Finally when it is almost completely dry I let it down. At night before bed I will comb with a wide toothed wooden comb and then finally brush with my BBB.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 29th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Ok its not the worst thing in the world better than ripping through damp tangles but i constantly am bunning up my tangled hair. I have this addiction to the cinnabun since it hides it so well but i need a change. So what are some good updo's that you can toss your tangled hair into?

My tangles start at the nape and are their worst at the top of my shoulders if that helps.

Natalia, have you tried using a Tangle Teezer on your knots?

Natalia
September 29th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I do a tight nautilus bun. I used to detangle my hair once a week, now I do it 3 times a week because i'm shedding a lot but I plan on going back down to once a week eventually.

The nautilus is actually the second one i tried but where my knots are falls on the big loop and it looks like i let a pigeon take up residance lol. thanks though.

If you do not address the tangles while they are still wet, they are 10 times as horrible to deal with when dry, and you'll have damage from breakage like no tomorrow!

Use a drop or 2 of mineral oil (on your hands) then apply to damp hair. Use a wide tooth comb to gently detangle - IN SMALL SECTIONS - then put it up.

If you don't get those snarls out when the hair is damp, they dry hard and tight and detangling will be a nightmare when dry.

My one big peeve about being wo my hair just wont detangle when wet, even under running water in the shower. It just snapps off in chunks if i try :(. I even tried with some leave ins and oil but no go on wet hair for me. A little leave in helps once it dries but darn if the one i like has been changed and i dont like the new one.

I can't detangle my hair at all when wet or even damp. By the time it dries completely however all the tangles just fall out by themselves.

I stick my hair up wet onto a loose lazy wrap or tight cinnabun on my head and take it down when it dries a little bit and then put it back up. Finally when it is almost completely dry I let it down. At night before bed I will comb with a wide toothed wooden comb and then finally brush with my BBB.

Yup im like you wet hair is a no go but dry as long as i start at the bottom and go slow the tines of the comb wiggle them right out. I shower at night and always wake with a damp spot right where i tangle so fustrating! But it does explain why it gets tangled there.

Natalia, have you tried using a Tangle Teezer on your knots?

I just got a knock off tangle tamer i think its called a little while ago. Tried it once but my hair was too damp have yet to get to trying it once its dried. Its on my list :)