PDA

View Full Version : Does wearing your hair up help it grow?

minnieblond
September 28th, 2012, 12:36 PM
I was just wondering because a lot of people on this forum wear their hair up often. I hope so, because I love the way my hair looks up! I always thought wearing it down would make it grow a little faster, granted that you didn't use any heat on it.

Tristania
September 28th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Wearing hair in protective styles is more about, well, protection. In other words, it's not so much about "helping it grow", it's more about preventing damage that would make you have to chop it off.

Avital88
September 28th, 2012, 12:48 PM
other than tangles i dont really see a difference in it but when i put it up i twist it tight so might be more damaging than wearing it loose

longforthis
September 28th, 2012, 01:05 PM
It grows faster in the sense that you notice the difference in length sooner than you would if you had it down everyday! :D

I haven't seen any Science behind your hair growing faster if it is up, BUT if you put it up and forget about it, then next time it is down or once you really look at the length, there is a difference.

If anyone does have any science behind it, please share! That'd be cool! LOL

Madora
September 28th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I was just wondering because a lot of people on this forum wear their hair up often. I hope so, because I love the way my hair looks up! I always thought wearing it down would make it grow a little faster, granted that you didn't use any heat on it.

Yes, it does help because wearing your hair up protects the fragile ends. The longer the hair, the more fragile and susceptible to damage it becomes.

Wearing hair down increases the risk for damage...from tangles (and having to deal with those regularly during the day), getting hair caught on fabrics, hair rubbing on chairs, getting stuck in weird places).

You can help your hair grow faster by eating properly, drinking plenty of water, exercising in moderation, and staying away from hot curlers/hot irons/straighteners/bleach/harsh products.

Learn protective updos and braiding. Stay away from ponytails as these are not hair friendly for several reasons.

Try daily scalp massage in the bent position to help increase circulation among the follices (be sure to detangle before and after).

Always, always, always, detangle with a wide tooth comb! Do not use a brush of any kind.

Long hair takes a lot of tlc and patience but the results are more than worth it!

hermosamendoza
September 28th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I don't think it helped my hair grow per say but it did help me forget about it and stop messing with it. I worked in a restaurant for years and had my hair up and covered. I always forgot how dark it is naturally and it always made me be in awe when I saw it down.

melusine963
September 28th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Wearing updos hadn't increased my growth rate, but it's definitely decreased the rate at which my ends disintegrate. The less I have to trim my ends because of damage, the quicker my hair appears to grow.

Fantak
September 28th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I agree with what everyone is saying. Also it prevents breakage in the length and for me that means it actually looks longer instead of getting thin and see through at the ends.

catamonica
September 29th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I started wearing my hair up in November 2012. After a two year growth stall at waist, by March
2012, it grew to hip. Wearing it up keeps it protected. When you do wear it down, you will notice the difference. It helps to wear it up, and forget about it.

EtherealDoll
September 29th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Wearing it up can help protecting the length from damage and split ends.

But if you wear the same updo on the same place all the time or if it's pulled too tight, it can cause even more damage than wearing your hair down. And traction alopecia is scarier than several split ends or tangles because trimming won't be able to help in that case.

jasper
September 29th, 2012, 05:17 AM
It doesn't help it grow, but it might help with maintaining the length. Others have said it protects hair from daily damage. For me, it protects my hair from me. If I wore it down all the time, the length would get on my nerves and I would cut it.

When I started wearing it up daily, I forgot about the length and after a year was surprised by the length.

jacqueline101
September 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
It doesn't help it grow it protects it so you don't have to trim off as much.

dwell_in_safety
September 29th, 2012, 12:21 PM
It doesn't make it grow any faster, but it protects the ends and keeps them looking good/better, which leads to less having to be trimmed off to maintain hair in good condition as it grows. It has the same practical effects as faster growth, I think.

terylenerose
September 29th, 2012, 02:58 PM
What everyone else said. It protects hair from damage, so you don't have to trim off Velcro ends as often. At least, that's been my experience -- now that I wear my hair up, it isn't full of splits, and we're talking really (formerly, not now) abused hair here.

S&S
June 30th, 2019, 04:22 PM
It grows faster in the sense that you notice the difference in length sooner than you would if you had it down everyday! :D

I haven't seen any Science behind your hair growing faster if it is up, BUT if you put it up and forget about it, then next time it is down or once you really look at the length, there is a difference.

If anyone does have any science behind it, please share! That'd be cool! LOL

Agreed! It is so hard though... I love love my hair down and styled - I feel like a bum when my hair isn't done, especially at work!

Ligeia Noire
June 30th, 2019, 05:55 PM
Yes. Definitely. Less damage, therefore, less trims.

Dark40
July 1st, 2019, 11:18 AM
No, I don't think wearing your hair up all of the time helps it to grow but it does protect it from damage so that you have to trim it as much.

Poi.Lily
July 1st, 2019, 12:47 PM
As everyone has said; it's more about protecting it from damage, therefore leading to healthier hair. Allowing it to grow longer.
There is the flip side though, where you actually cause harm; and that's if you always do it up really tight, in the same place, all the time. That'll cause damage in the long run, since you're always placing strain in the same spot.
You can also cause thinning if you're always pulling it tight at your hair line.
Loose styles are better. And changing them up so you don't put constant strain in one place.

Protecting your hair and eating healthy, in my experience and research, is what helps your hair grow.
So it's a combination of things.

Aunt Rapunzel
July 1st, 2019, 08:36 PM
My hair didn't take well to being up every single day. Even with using hair sticks, and a simple bun, the ends became thinner by FAR. So now I mix things up. I wear it down some, wear it up some, and have been seeing much better results. Personally I don't think that there's a one-answer-fits-all type of answer for anything hair-related.