PDA

View Full Version : Over Moisturizing

ssjhotau2
September 28th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I've been heavily oiling my hair the night before I shower pretty much since I joined LHC. In the past I just oiled my length with Coconut Oil, but when I discovered Castor Oil I started oiling my scalp too.

Recently I used my last bit of Castor Oil and I turned to EVOO instead which I LOVE on my scalp. I noticed that the first 4-6 inches of hair has improved in health since I started drenching it in EVOO twice a week.
The hair closest to my head NEVER gets over moisturized. However, the last two washed I used EVOO on my length instead of Coconut Oil in the hopes of seeing the same kind of improvement as my scalp hair. Sadly the first wash left my length feeling stringy so I had to get back in the shower and shampoo my length with a clarifying shampoo, which left my hair feeling a bit crunchy. I used Coconut Oil on the length for a few days and then oiled it a little with EVOO before wash day.
This last time I used the CWC method which I haven't done since I went back to cones. I used my Goats Milk conditioner on the length to try to work out most of the oil before shampooing, then I used less than half the conditioner I normally use.
My scalp hair feels amazing as usual- but my length feels odd. It has a thick/heavy, almost sticky texture that I don't like. A texture that I associate with too much moisture.

But why would my younger/healthier hair LOVE all the extra moisture- but the damaged/older length react so negatively to it? I am confused.

EtherealDoll
September 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM
You could try protein treatment on the damaged length, or a different oil or conditioner.

fairhairedthing
September 28th, 2012, 12:02 PM
First of all oil doesn't "moisturize" hair, it helps keep moisture locked into the hair, so I'm not going to say first off that your hair is over moisturized at all.

Older, damaged hair, is almost always very porous therefor things like oil, conditioner (usually with silicones), even hair dye molecules, get stuck in the little holes, so what I'm thinking is you are simply "over oiling" your hair. Ease up on it a bit over time and see what happens.

Your oiling method is indeed quite aggressive. Some hair types love it, some have to be worked with gingerly.

neko_kawaii
September 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I associate stickyness with olive oil. Perhaps you didn't get it all washed out?

Madora
September 28th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Less is more!

Use just one kind of oil at a time, and don't over do it! Not only does it coat your hair, it can attract every particle that is floating in the air to your hair.

You can dry out your hair by using too much stuff on it.

Also, some products do not mesh well with others, resulting in cranky, troublesome hair.