PDA

View Full Version : best sleeping habits

mamaherrera
September 28th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I have wavy/curly hair, I don't do the pineapple because my hair doesn't like to be up in that direction. I've been braiding, but I've read that people sleeping in braids can also cause breakage. I just wonder what are the best methods of sleeping with your hair?? If I do a bun, I have to wrap twice to make it stay, adn then I feel the scrunchy being too tight and I dont want tight when I sleep. If I wear it down (I have a silk pillowcase) my kids pull on my hair. Any tips, ideas?? I want to minimize breakage!!

kaydana
September 28th, 2012, 10:40 AM
I find spin pins are good for night buns. They secure it well without the bun needing to be tight.

Just like daytime styles though, the best way to minimise breakage is to vary the style so the same hairs aren't being put under the same pressure repeatedly.

Madora
September 28th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I have wavy/curly hair, I don't do the pineapple because my hair doesn't like to be up in that direction. I've been braiding, but I've read that people sleeping in braids can also cause breakage. I just wonder what are the best methods of sleeping with your hair?? If I do a bun, I have to wrap twice to make it stay, adn then I feel the scrunchy being too tight and I dont want tight when I sleep. If I wear it down (I have a silk pillowcase) my kids pull on my hair. Any tips, ideas?? I want to minimize breakage!!

I slept in double braids for more than 30 years with no damage. The trick is to braid loosely and to vary the places where you place the elastics. Also, do not braid all the way to the ends. Leave at least 2 inches unbraided. When you remove the elastics, be sure to unwind them bit by bit. Don't just pull them off.

Personally, I wear a loosely braided bun on top of my head which reduces tangles 99.99%.

You might want to try using a silk cap to confine your hair at night.

mamaherrera
September 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for replying. I have a silk cap, but it has elastic (covered with silk ) all around and I was worried that would cause me breakage/hair loss on the edges, which is why I was wary of those. What do you all think?? Plus I didnt like the red elastic mark on my forehead in the morning. With braids, I can definitely do those, and I do them loose. But how much can you vary the placement of the elastics, there's not much room for variation. Plus I have layers, and I was worried I was causing breakage of those ends as they get wrapped into the braid. With the braided bun, don't you have to use two elastics to do that, one to make the pony and one to secure the braid and then perhaps even another one to wrap it/secure it? My thing is that with my ringlets, when I do braids, I have to separate those ringlets, and I feel I get tangles/breakage that way as well. that's why I was hoping I would get a few more replies to get some different ideas one how to change it up daily so I'm not using the same hairstyle to go to bed.
Easiest for me is to throw that silk cap on over my head, just let my hair loose, but like I said, the elastic has me nervous. I've tried the silk scarves, and I never get them tied tightly enough, they've always on the floor in the morning.

kaydana
September 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Have you considered making a couple of parandi? You make them longer than your hair so when you tie them off you're only putting the elastic on the yarn, so no damage from elastics! There's a thread about them here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91490

melusine963
September 28th, 2012, 01:21 PM
But how much can you vary the placement of the elastics, there's not much room for variation. Plus I have layers, and I was worried I was causing breakage of those ends as they get wrapped into the braid.

I wear my hair in a braid every night, and I've done so for a few years without damage. It's the only way for me to minimize tangles overnight. I don't actually need an elastic for this. Since it was about waist length, my hair has been long enough for the braid not to unravel very much overnight if I leave it untied. For updos or braids during the day that do require an elastic, I try to place it as near to the end of the hair as possible. That way, any damage that might occur (not that I've noticed much) will be trimmed off during my annual shearing.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 28th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I use a satin sleeping cap, love it because it gives my hair a chance to be "down" as opposed to being up during the day. It is beautifully comfortable, and I never have any trouble with the elastic at all. It really prevents the tangles too.

Madora
September 28th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for replying. I have a silk cap, but it has elastic (covered with silk ) all around and I was worried that would cause me breakage/hair loss on the edges, which is why I was wary of those. What do you all think?? Plus I didnt like the red elastic mark on my forehead in the morning. With braids, I can definitely do those, and I do them loose. But how much can you vary the placement of the elastics, there's not much room for variation. Plus I have layers, and I was worried I was causing breakage of those ends as they get wrapped into the braid. With the braided bun, don't you have to use two elastics to do that, one to make the pony and one to secure the braid and then perhaps even another one to wrap it/secure it? My thing is that with my ringlets, when I do braids, I have to separate those ringlets, and I feel I get tangles/breakage that way as well. that's why I was hoping I would get a few more replies to get some different ideas one how to change it up daily so I'm not using the same hairstyle to go to bed.
Easiest for me is to throw that silk cap on over my head, just let my hair loose, but like I said, the elastic has me nervous. I've tried the silk scarves, and I never get them tied tightly enough, they've always on the floor in the morning.

Do whatever is most comfortable for you. Perhaps there might be a sleep cap that doesn't have elastic? Or putting your hair into a sleeping tube?

My braided bun on top of my head requires no ponytail holder or elastic at the end. I simply bend at the waist, bring all my hair in front of me, detangle it gently, divide it in 3 section and loosely braid it 3/4ths of the way down, the coil it in a bun on top of my head, pinning with crimped hair pins. The next morning I simply undo the braid, then detangle my hair, which takes all of 30 seconds, then make my usual crown braid.

If elastics are worrying you, perhaps you could braid your hair with shoelaces? Or ribbon, though that is a lot more slippery and might be harder to work with than a shoe lace.

Cheele
September 28th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Well I don't know if I'd be of much help because I don't have a solid sleeping habit of my own but I'll tell you something I've experienced...

I never put my hair any which way or style for bed until a few months ago. My hair has been about BSL my whole life and in good condition. I never blew it dry and hardly hardly ever straightened it. But since delving into this long hair care world I thought I'd give sleeping in braids a go for protection. Now I have ALL kinds of breakage just below my crown on the back of my head. My ends are still as peachy as they are. I reckon that its from my head moving on the pillow and the hair having no where to escape because its braided right there so it has to just sit and take the pulling and friction. I don't braid tightly. But yeah. Just my two cents. I'm looking into getting a silk or satin cap or making one.

Rufflebutt
September 28th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I like to braid my hair, and then tuck that braid in a sleep cap.

gthlvrmx
September 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM
hmm i actually do what madora does with braiding on top of the head, but i dont use an elastic on the ends, i just coil it up into a bun and use spin pins and voila ready to go. maybe you could look into spin pins. easier than sleeping with a hair stick :D oh and a satin pillowcase might help if youre not interested in the satin/silk sleeping caps and stuff.

MeowScat
September 29th, 2012, 03:49 AM
I absolutely LOVE my satin sleepcap!

I cinnabunned it on top of my head for about 15 years and would wake up with tangles. I tried braiding a few times (sad looking braid, I'm no good at it) and it was so knotted up that I have given up on sleeping with them in.

I had the same problem with the sleepcap's elastic making my forehead indented and red. I stretched the elastic with my hands and I rolled the elastic back a few times to cover it with a few layers of satin. Eventually, the elastic does stretch out.

Sometimes I would wear it further back to give my forehead a break.

Another way to stretch the elastic is to ball up a big sweatshirt or towel and stretch the elastic over it and leave it that way for the day (or maybe longer depending on how strong the elastic is).

It's really saved my hair from a ton of breakage since I just fold it in at the nape.

Lesiaoc
October 1st, 2012, 02:43 PM
I'm thinking buying a large silk scarf to tie my hair up with. I think it would be easy to figure out how it's going to be the most comfortable.

lapushka
October 1st, 2012, 06:06 PM
I never put my hair any which way or style for bed until a few months ago. My hair has been about BSL my whole life and in good condition. I never blew it dry and hardly hardly ever straightened it. But since delving into this long hair care world I thought I'd give sleeping in braids a go for protection. Now I have ALL kinds of breakage just below my crown on the back of my head. My ends are still as peachy as they are. I reckon that its from my head moving on the pillow and the hair having no where to escape because its braided right there so it has to just sit and take the pulling and friction. I don't braid tightly. But yeah. Just my two cents. I'm looking into getting a silk or satin cap or making one.

That's one of the reasons my hair doesn't get tied up or braided in any way for the night, for fear of breakage. Think of it, most people toss and turn during the night, and if your hair is in any way restricted, especially when in tight hairdos, you might cause breakage to it.

Eirelin
October 1st, 2012, 10:42 PM
I mix it up a lot. Sometimes just a braid or braided bun, sometimes large pin curls (but I am usually too impatient to do these), sometimes a fully-rolled sock bun (I never do the other kind of sock bun because I hate the look after using a ponytail holder), sometimes buns.

I also often do a version of headband curls with a relatively tight headband, such as tonight. With a tight (but still stretchy) headband, it ends up being rather far back on my head, more where you would position a bun, as well as creating a relatively small circle. It is very comfortable for sleeping, as it is basically flat against your head, and I occasionally use bobby pins to keep it in place but only when absolutely necessary; this depends on how new the headband is, as they do stretch out after a while. (I took a photo tonight but have not posted it yet.)

It is quick and easy to do and does give nice damage-free curls. You just have to be careful removing it the next day.

I have one small cushion with a scarf tied around it to sleep on, and I also have a handful of crocheted snoods that I use once in a while, too. I am not sure what they are made of, but they are fairly slippy, so I guess they are okay.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/DSC01986.jpg http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn245/Eirelin/Hair/DSC01988.jpg

Lesiaoc
October 1st, 2012, 10:50 PM
I picked up a satin cap (a cheap one to try out) from Wal-Mart today for less than 2 bucks. The elastic band seems like it would not leave a forehead imprint easily, maybe if it stays put all night. I don't like the feeling of satin pillows on my face so I never buy them (maybe I'll try them again in the future.) This should help solve that issue since it keeps your hair from moving and slides over the pillow so it doesn't come off your head.

I'm not sure if this is exactly like the satin caps which were mentioned earlier in the thread but it seems like it will work great!