PDA

View Full Version : Complicated 'do doers

proo
September 28th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Do you knit?
I can braid my hair into complicated 'do's by looking at pictures or reading descriptions.
It's easy for me, don't know why, just something I get.
And I knit, so I was wondering if there's a correlation

browneyedsusan
September 28th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I can knit. My pet theory is that all of that creative stuff is worked out in the same part of your brains. If a person understands how to knit or sculpt or play piano, then being creative with the hair just goes with it? (I can't play sports worth a hoot. My gross motor skills are terrible, but I'm a zen master of a sewing needle!)

That said, it does take me some practice to actually do it, but I can grasp the idea of updos decently. (I'm not nearly as good as most members here, but I do okay for what I've got to work with, and DD doesn't let me put up her BSL hair very often.)

wooliswonderful
September 28th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I knit and spin and most of my knowledge has come from reading fiber/knitting books.
I've never been good with purely written hairstyle instructions.
I do better with videos or a live person showing me what to do.

Madora
September 28th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Never knitted but crocheted a lot when I was younger.

Being able to create updos depends on several things..how you section the hair, the thickness/length.

The hardest thing is training your arm/shoulder/neck muscles. This comes from plenty of practice.

In time, your fingers will become accustomed to selecting just the right amount of hair to section, as well as directing it to the place where it should go.

But it really helps to learn the basics on something/someone else before you begin to tackle anything on your own head.

Bottom line: practice, practice, practice and be patient! Very patient!

itdontmatter48
September 28th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Makes sense to me, I can't do either very well. lol

lapushka
September 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I learned to knit and crochet as a child from my grandma, but the more complicated updos still phase me. Give me simple and neat anytime!

melusine963
September 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I've never been able to follow knitting instructions. I suppose it makes sense that I'm useless at following written updo instructions, too! Give me a good Youtube video anyday. :)

DreadfulWoman
September 28th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Interesting theory. I can usually master the more complex 'dos, and I also knit, sew, crochet, and so on. I think they definitely go hand in hand, so to speak. I'm no good at following instructions for any of it though.

oktobergoud
September 28th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I can knit. My pet theory is that all of that creative stuff is worked out in the same part of your brains. If a person understands how to knit or sculpt or play piano, then being creative with the hair just goes with it? (I can't play sports worth a hoot. My gross motor skills are terrible, but I'm a zen master of a sewing needle!)

Hehe I don't know if that's true, but if it is, I must be a really great braider in the future with my art school diploma :cheese:

I also knit (but only simple stitches)..

I can braid my hair a bit even if it's only shoulder length, and I can braid friends' hair! So.. I guess there's some sort of link? :P

Celtic Morla
September 28th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I have a very high visual spatial ability(98%) an dI think it helps alot, I can visualize the ways and where fors. I learned to knit a few years ago my Mum was never able to teach me, a friend finally did but as she says I knit so tight my yarn sqeaks!

AineMuirne
September 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I crochet very well and can do the most complicated things with ease... I've never had trouble crocheting anything perfectly. BUT I SUCK AT HAIR. I need to learn to knit. You have to hold more things when you knit, maybe that's what it is. :P

neko_kawaii
September 28th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I don't knit or crochet but I do sew, so maybe that helps with the following of directions, but like others have said, it probably helps simply being good with spacial stuff. I think what helps with keeping braiding sections separate is being a master friendship bracelet maker!

BlazingHeart
September 28th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I knit and crochet, learned as an adult, and do both with higher-than-average proficiency (lace, cables, all the fancy stuff, and I make up and modify patterns).

I haven't gotten into the fancier 'dos because my joints won't put up with me having my hands up there that long, not to mention super-thick hair does not lend itself to the fancier unsectioned 'dos.

I also spin, and I used to sew and embroider, but don't anymore because it's hard on my thumbs.

~Blaze

dwell_in_safety
September 28th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I don't knit, but I can do fairly complicated updos just by looking at a picture. I successfully completed a waterfall braid, crown braid, rope braid, and even a French braid swirled around my girlfriend's head beginning at the top of her scalp (several members have posted successful attempts on others), etc. just by seeing pictures of them and trying them. I can do any kind of braid on my own head (except maybe the swirly French braid) easily. Crown braid on myself took two attempts to be presentable, first time I tried. I don't know what it is.

elea
September 28th, 2012, 08:58 PM
interesting
i have been knitting since i was 6
i am a dressmaker, design stage costumes and do performer's hair
... it's all bits of strings *;O)