PDA

View Full Version : is a bent end a split end?

hermosamendoza
September 28th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Couldn't find this in the search so I'm going to post.

I know a split end is when the hair looks like an upside-down "Y" but my hair has a few that look like an "L". Is that a break or the start of a break?

Madora
September 28th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Not unless the hair is split in some way...or has a rough spot on it (you can feel a change in texture if you run your fingers down the strand. The damaged place will feel slightly different. For me, that is an indication that the hair is on the verge of splitting. It usually occurs about an inch or more from the end).

Mindy
September 28th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I think a bend does qualify as a split end. This link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=189) shows pictures of the different types of splits. I never knew there were so many different types until I saw this!

Falcore
September 28th, 2012, 08:00 AM
What Madora said. I usually feel for change of texture, if there is I snip it. If not I just try to avert my attention from the sight of them.

Sometimes updos can cause the bendy ends (without the rough spots). Usually when you wash your hair they'll go back to the natural couture of your hair.

PinkyCat
September 28th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Sometimes if I'm not careful and haphazardly stuff my ends into a bun I'll get these - unfortunately for me, they usually turn into a white dot & break off at the bend.

Fantak
September 28th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Thanks for asking! I always wonder this when I S&D

hermosamendoza
September 28th, 2012, 09:00 AM
MINDY - I get right angle's towards the APL ends and offshoots on my bangs.

now that i look at the list I remember seeing various of these throughout my life.

hermosamendoza
September 28th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Sometimes if I'm not careful and haphazardly stuff my ends into a bun I'll get these - unfortunately for me, they usually turn into a white dot & break off at the bend.

Oooh that happens to me too when I wear my hear up too often.

melusine963
September 28th, 2012, 09:13 AM
When I find these I cut them off. They're not a split yet, but they're usually about to turn into one, at least on my hair.

lunalocks
September 28th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I have tested mine, and they snap. So now, I snip.

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I think they're splits. I s&d mine. I did a small s&d monday.

gonzobird
September 28th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I always cut those suckers off. They definitely seem to happen after I wear my hair up.

ravenreed
September 28th, 2012, 11:25 AM
I often get bends where a tangle was and they are usually permanent. However, if I have a lot of them suddenly, I suspect that I sat on my hair or something and they may be temporary. So what I do is wet my ends and gently try to straighten them. Anything that stays bent gets snipped.

Loveisaverb
September 28th, 2012, 12:27 PM
My ends of my hairs sometimes get bent when I wear my hair up for example like a tight bun.
My hair usually goes back to normal if I wet it.
But if I feel a change in texture for each hair, I cut it off.

hermosamendoza
September 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I'm going to wet it next time and see what happens. If it stays at an L I'm cutting it

Roscata
September 28th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I got those all the time when I braided my (wet) hair and tied it off with a hair tie. As soon as I switched to scrunchies they stopped showing up. To me they were just distressed/locked into that position, they never broke off or turned into actual reverse Y splits.

seaj
September 28th, 2012, 10:36 PM
If they bend at a 90 degree angle I just cut them off. After three years with no trims, I find that they just break eventually with minimal effort anyway. I'd rather have a cleanly snipped end than one that is broken off. Most bent tips are no longer than half an inch so it's not such a big deal to me. They seem to be damage from undoing very tight tangles, and they cause even more tangles when they are left in.

Miss Catrina
September 29th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I would cut them off. If the hair is truly bent to a right angle, it's bound to break at the end soon.