PDA

View Full Version : Do you think my broken off hair can grow back on its own?

minnieblond
September 28th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I made a big mistake. I was using heat on my hair nearly every day. I straightened it to death. I did this because I have very wavy hair and I had just gotten my hair cut from waist to BSL and wasn't happy with it, so I tried to make it look longer. Yeah, didn't work out. My hair broke off and now my shortest layer is in between shoulder and APL. My longest layer is BSL, but it's way thinner than my shortest length. I mean, WAYYYY thinner. I want to wait until my shortest layer gets to BSL before I cut it, but will it grow back? I don't use much heat on it anymore, I just blow dry it once a week on low.

minnieblond
September 28th, 2012, 06:01 AM
By the way, the broken hair doesn't look too damaged. It's still very soft and doesn't have split ends.

AineMuirne
September 28th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Yes, it will grow! But your hair might tangle more from the damage, which will cause more breakage/shedding. Be very careful when brushing/detangling to minimize furthering the damage. You might want to trim frequently (maintain the current length) until the layers even up.

melusine963
September 28th, 2012, 09:21 AM
What AineMuirne said. Also, maybe try lightly oiling your hair to make it easier to detangle. This has been a huge help in keeping split ends at bay for me.

lunalocks
September 28th, 2012, 09:58 AM
You might be surprised how routine trims of 1/4 inch will seem to thicken up your hair, while letting it grow. This worked for me. Also a drop of mineral oil on the ends when still damp. You may have to use less than a drop.

akilina
September 28th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Your hair does not grow from the ends...so yes it will continue to grow-from the root.

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2012, 10:21 AM
It will grow it just won't be as healthy. If you think healthy hair is more important I'd trim the damage and maintain. If it doesn't matter a routine trim then pamper it would be good. I'd pamper it by deep conditioning oiling and careful treatment. I'd get rid of all heat.

jeanniet
September 28th, 2012, 10:38 AM
It will grow, but if you have heat damage on your entire head you'll have to grow out all the damage to see really healthy hair. The best you can do is to baby it and treat the new hair as well as you can while it grows out, and do regular trims to remove the damage. You can't fix the damage that's already there, but you can make it look better with more moisture, oiling, etc.