PDA

View Full Version : Can a hairstyle radically change hair type? (Pics)

biogirl87
September 26th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Hello,

I've lived most of my life thinking that my hair was just wavy but recently have gotten more "your hair is curly". Had my hair typed on LHC and the consensus seemed to be 2c. However, that day I had my hair in a cinnabun for the entire evening and I'm not sure if that contributed to the curls in my hair, which has me more confused than ever. So I'm asking all you wonderful ladies for a little help. This was my hair yesterday when it was down all day:
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t435/biogirl87/IMG_6639_zps55e3fbeb.jpg
Today I decided to wear the cinnabun for the whole day (it was secured with a claw clip, if this matters) and this is what my hair looked like when I took it down:
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t435/biogirl87/IMG_6643_zps927581ec.jpg
I can see a few curls in my hair after taking down the bun, which leaves me wondering if the cinnabun could've contributed to the curliness so much. What are your opinions? Thank you.

MidnightMoon
September 26th, 2012, 09:04 PM
It might seem wavier due to the length and thickness of hair, but that's definitely not curly, at least to me
the idea of curly hair I have is hair that creates spirals from the top through the whole length, hair that is frizzy, dryer, and you can see lots of like ''hair pieces'' spiraled...
it's like your hair divides into smal sections which become spirals

Wahinee
September 26th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Buns give you waves.. I have curly hair and the curls are stretched out after I take out a bun. I put my hair in 2 buns on top of my head overnight to create nice big waves.

Freckled.Thing
September 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM
That is definitely a normal result of having your hair in a bun all day. It doesn't affect your hair type. It's just what happens after your hair is coiled around it's self for several hours.

jeanniet
September 26th, 2012, 09:17 PM
The bun very likely contributed to the wave/curl in your hair. If you want to type your hair, do a clarifying wash without conditioner (if you can handle your hair without it), and let dry without touching it--no combing, finger combing, nothing. That will give you the most accurate results. If you try to type your hair after it's been in an updo, it may not be very true to type at all. For instance, my hair is 2c/3a, but if it's been in an updo all day it looks quite a bit straighter. It doesn't matter how straight it looks, though; what matters is how straight (or not) it actually is.

biogirl87
September 26th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Thank you for the clarification everyone.
jeanniet, my hair doesn't seem to look all that different if it's been washed without conditioner as in the pic below.
http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t435/biogirl87/bs-acv-2_zpsafe67dda.jpg

spirals
September 26th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I think you've been typed correctly as a wavy. That picture is what my 3a looks like after an updo has pulled the curl out. A bunch of little cinnabuns overnight should give you spirals if you want them.