PDA

View Full Version : Ok, So I Tired The CO Method

Number 3
September 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I have frizzy wavy hair. I love my waves but the frizzes ruin them.
Tried all hair products from serums to oils, but it wouldn't give me a satisfied result. I want each hair strand to group with others to form several wave groups (hope you understand what I mean haha)

Recently here I've been told about the CO method but I didn't like the method with no shampoo.
So after failing at all the recipes or tricks I know I thought why not. So I did it, hair sure is soft but the frizzes are still there!!!
Continued a couple more days but nothing has changed.

Help.

PossibleMermaid
September 26th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I'm having a similar experience. I've been CO for about a month now, and at first my frizzies went away but now they're BACK! I'm thinking of using a cone free anti breakage shampoo maybe once every two weeks or something.

DinaAG
September 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM
if you want a long term solution i did chi transformation and its super great

missannie
September 26th, 2012, 10:35 PM
What conditioner are you using? I use suave coconut it makes my hair so wonderful. It is cone free I believe. I can't believe the change in my hair. Everyone's hair is so different so I would keep trying to find what works for you. I have been using it for about a month and my shed is slowing down too.

novemberfoxtrot
September 26th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I've been CO since Dec. or Jan. It takes a while to figure out what's going to work for you. For example, lots of people rave about Suave coconut (see above! : ) ) but my hair no likey. It also doesn't like the VO5 i tried. But it does like Suave green apple. So play around with your technique and your conditioners.

I also tried Curly Girl and I think I'm going to do this altered method: after I shower I gently squeeze the water out of my hair. No towel touches it and it's still quite drippy. Using a wide toothed comb I comb through it. Then I turn my head upside down and using a t-shirt I do one or two big scrunches to absorb some more water and get some clumps going. I learned that for me I cant' do too many scrunches or I get frizz. then stand back up (no wild flipping!) and gently move curls back to their proper places.

Some curlies also use pure aloe vera as a gel to help their curls clump. My hair wasn't too into it.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer! I hope this sparks some ideas and you come up with a combo that works for you!

bunnylake
September 26th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I tried CO for a few weeks and it didn't help my frizz either. I was hoping henna would help, and it made my hair beautiful and strong but I still have frizz. Took out most of the wave though!
I just went back to shampoo and cones and I must say I prefer this method. I'm actually looking into John Frieda Frizz Ease serum, since I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Oh, frizz....
I'll be watching this thread!

novemberfoxtrot
September 26th, 2012, 11:19 PM
I tried CO for a few weeks and it didn't help my frizz either. I was hoping henna would help, and it made my hair beautiful and strong but I still have frizz. Took out most of the wave though!
I just went back to shampoo and cones and I must say I prefer this method. I'm actually looking into John Frieda Frizz Ease serum, since I've heard a lot of good things about it.
Oh, frizz....

I'll be interested to hear how you like Frizz Ease. I tried that every few years and every time my hair hated it. I bought some right before I joined LHC and assumed it didn't work because I was doing it wrong. Nope, my hair just doesn't fit the John Frieda mold. : )

Wahinee
September 26th, 2012, 11:34 PM
If your hair frizzes, it will frizz regardless of how you wash it. It's your styling method/products that can get the frizz under control.

I airdry my hair in 1 or 2 braids, then unbraid it and wear a bun once its dry. This gives me big loose well defined waves. I use a leave in conditioner and oil.

Ambystoma
September 26th, 2012, 11:51 PM
I tried Frizz Ease a long time ago and hated it, my hair felt sticky and dirty with it in even though it loves 'cones usually. My favourite 'cone serum was always Kerastase Oleo Relax ($$$ though). I'm using MO now instead and really liking it.

anitacs9101
September 27th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I have frizzy wavy hair. I love my waves but the frizzes ruin them.
Tried all hair products from serums to oils, but it wouldn't give me a satisfied result. I want each hair strand to group with others to form several wave groups (hope you understand what I mean haha)

Recently here I've been told about the CO method but I didn't like the method with no shampoo.
So after failing at all the recipes or tricks I know I thought why not. So I did it, hair sure is soft but the frizzes are still there!!!
Continued a couple more days but nothing has changed.

Help.
I highly recommend the curly girl method! There is a section in the new edition of the book for wavy hair and it works great. It uses hair gel which is how it helps hair clump together, forming wave groups like you said. Here is my results. I put too much gel in my hair though so it looks kinda stringy :o
Normal hair, brushed out (ETA: and drenched in coconut oil, this is pre-wash):
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/sep20th2012_zps46e7d83a.jpg
After CG:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/photo3.jpg

fridgee
September 28th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Are you using any leave in? You can use a small amount of your animal conditioner as a leave in, which might help. As others have mentioned gel is great for keeping the clumps together as they dry. If the gel goes hard you can 'scrunch the crunch' once your hair is dry to remove the hardness but keep the defined waves. Check out some more info on the curly girl method, it sounds like it might help you.

I used to religiously used fizz ease and loved it, but for me it's only good if I'm going to straighten my hair, it actually makes my air dried curls way more frizzy, I think they need weighing down a bit to all go the same way rather than each hair for itself!

ETA: anitacs9101 what a difference! Both are gorgeous tho! :flower:

CJCHair-stylist
September 28th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Leave-in conditioner should help with the frizz. Also take individual strands (about the size of a pencil or larger) once you`ve washed your hair and twirl them 90 degrees from your scalp and let them fall. Then you end up with lovely locks of curls. Works beautifully with the leave-in. :-)

afu
September 28th, 2012, 05:07 AM
For me a leave in is a must. However I use mine slightly differently to others. Most people apply their leave in conditioner/normal conditioner used as a leave in to wet or damp hair and let it dry that way. But because my hair is fine and thin that seems to make my hair too heavy and pull the curls out. What I do is I CO wash, leave to dry/almost dry (the frizz is here at this point) and then scrunch in some conditioner with dampened hands. Works everytime for me - gets rid of frizz and forms curls perfectly. Also works as a second/third day curl refresher

cathair
September 28th, 2012, 06:20 AM
I was using John Fredia Frizz Ease serum for a while when I was still using cones. I found that it made my hair feel lovely for the first use, but didn't help waves, because you can't put it in without touching your hair too much. After the first use, it would make my hair too sticky, so I would alternate between serum and leave in conditioner. I would serum the first wash, then leave in conditioner for the next two, then back to serum. But I don't think it's worth it's money and the bottles always leak if you leave them in the bathroom, I think they have designed them this way.

I don't know if this helps much, but this is what I do. If I want my hair to be really wavy, when I get out of the shower, I wrap it in a towel when I get out of the shower for about a minute, and press down on it to absorb the water but don't rub. Then I let all the hair out and don't touch it again at all until it has air dried. If I want smaller waves, I separate the stands with my fingers. The more is is separated the smaller the waves seem to be. If I separate the hair too much then I will get massive frizz.

Iolanthe13
September 28th, 2012, 07:40 AM
I haven't used Frizz Ease, but Tresemme Shine Spray always worked pretty well to define my 2c spirals. It didn't do much towards the top of my hair (since the waves were stretched out and weighed down by the cones), but I would get lots of compliments on the ends.

redsonjared
September 28th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I highly recommend the curly girl method! There is a section in the new edition of the book for wavy hair and it works great. It uses hair gel which is how it helps hair clump together, forming wave groups like you said. Here is my results. I put too much gel in my hair though so it looks kinda stringy :o
Normal hair, brushed out:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt212/OMGPwnies101/sep20th2012_zps46e7d83a.jpg
After CG:

:thud: Your hair looks fabulous!! I am hoping as my hair gets longer I can try curly girl again to get my waves out so I don't look like I've got a birds nest on my head!

spookyghost
September 28th, 2012, 03:46 PM
After CG:

No way! I love love love your waves!:D I might have to read up on the cg method. I only glanced at it once and its CO right? My loved the way my waves looked, and they werent even half as gogous as yours, but the frizz just made me stop. Plus my hair looked limp and greasy along with the frizz.

anitacs9101
September 28th, 2012, 05:54 PM

:thud: Your hair looks fabulous!! I am hoping as my hair gets longer I can try curly girl again to get my waves out so I don't look like I've got a birds nest on my head!
xD thanks!

No way! I love love love your waves!:D I might have to read up on the cg method. I only glanced at it once and its CO right? My loved the way my waves looked, and they werent even half as gogous as yours, but the frizz just made me stop. Plus my hair looked limp and greasy along with the frizz.

You can do CO or sulfate free shampoo. If you want to co wash you have to rinse REALLYYY well or else your hair will get super greasy! Happened to me for the longest time before I figured out I was doing it wrong lol. I actually stopped cg because my hair would look awful if I washed only once or twice a week like usual. You can't brush your hair so I got major bedhead+frizz, even after just one night. :( I imagine the bedhead factor is not so bad on curly heads :p

Silverbrumby
September 28th, 2012, 07:08 PM
My hair seems to reject all attempts to tame frizz. Look at the signature picture below for the puffy frizz in the last 6 inches.

1. CO washing - big shedding problem and still frizz
2. argan oil - frizz
3. Garnier anti frizz shampoo, cond. leave in - frizz
4. Curly girl method - frizz and/or with product it in disgusting limp sort of curls
5. Shea butter - some improvement

Currently what is working for me is "Pomsmooth" conditioner from Juice Organics and Juice Organics "Brightening Shampoo"

After washing I put in a small amount of shea butter then Marrakesh argan Oil. I love that oil even though it has cones. Let it dry out a little in the air then wide tooth cone and wet bun it with hair sticks to dry. I let the bun out just before it's completely dry and finger arrange.

So much work but my hair seems to like it and it's the only thing that's worked so far. I need to get a new photo.

Number 3
September 28th, 2012, 10:24 PM
if you want a long term solution i did chi transformation and its super great

Will read about it, thanks.

What conditioner are you using? I use suave coconut it makes my hair so wonderful. It is cone free I believe. I can't believe the change in my hair. Everyone's hair is so different so I would keep trying to find what works for you. I have been using it for about a month and my shed is slowing down too.

What's cone?

I've been CO since Dec. or Jan. It takes a while to figure out what's going to work for you. For example, lots of people rave about Suave coconut (see above! : ) ) but my hair no likey. It also doesn't like the VO5 i tried. But it does like Suave green apple. So play around with your technique and your conditioners.

I also tried Curly Girl and I think I'm going to do this altered method: after I shower I gently squeeze the water out of my hair. No towel touches it and it's still quite drippy. Using a wide toothed comb I comb through it. Then I turn my head upside down and using a t-shirt I do one or two big scrunches to absorb some more water and get some clumps going. I learned that for me I cant' do too many scrunches or I get frizz. then stand back up (no wild flipping!) and gently move curls back to their proper places.

Some curlies also use pure aloe vera as a gel to help their curls clump. My hair wasn't too into it.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer! I hope this sparks some ideas and you come up with a combo that works for you!

It did, thanks.

Oh, frizz....

Henna does remove frizzes if used weekly for the rest of your life. But I don't like the color on my hair, I have warm pale dark brown and with henna I get orange/red shades.

I'll make another thread discussing our frizzy wavy hair and how to style it.

If your hair frizzes, it will frizz regardless of how you wash it. It's your styling method/products that can get the frizz under control.

I airdry my hair in 1 or 2 braids, then unbraid it and wear a bun once its dry. This gives me big loose well defined waves. I use a leave in conditioner and oil.

Hmm. I do braids but I don't get the defined look.

I tried Frizz Ease a long time ago and hated it, my hair felt sticky and dirty with it in even though it loves 'cones usually. My favourite 'cone serum was always Kerastase Oleo Relax ($$$ though). I'm using MO now instead and really liking it.
Mousse and hair gel make my hair stick, dry and dirty lol.

After CG:

I've heard about it. but I believe from your before image you have natural frizzless straight hair, right?

Are you using any leave in? You can use a small amount of your animal conditioner as a leave in, which might help. As others have mentioned gel is great for keeping the clumps together as they dry. If the gel goes hard you can 'scrunch the crunch' once your hair is dry to remove the hardness but keep the defined waves. Check out some more info on the curly girl method, it sounds like it might help you.

I used to religiously used fizz ease and loved it, but for me it's only good if I'm going to straighten my hair, it actually makes my air dried curls way more frizzy, I think they need weighing down a bit to all go the same way rather than each hair for itself!

Oils and creams suite my hair better than mousse and gel. But still haven't found my treasure yet.

Leave-in conditioner should help with the frizz. Also take individual strands (about the size of a pencil or larger) once you`ve washed your hair and twirl them 90 degrees from your scalp and let them fall. Then you end up with lovely locks of curls. Works beautifully with the leave-in. :-)

Will try it today and see how it goes. Thanks.

For me a leave in is a must. However I use mine slightly differently to others. Most people apply their leave in conditioner/normal conditioner used as a leave in to wet or damp hair and let it dry that way. But because my hair is fine and thin that seems to make my hair too heavy and pull the curls out. What I do is I CO wash, leave to dry/almost dry (the frizz is here at this point) and then scrunch in some conditioner with dampened hands. Works everytime for me - gets rid of frizz and forms curls perfectly. Also works as a second/third day curl refresher
Took note, Thanks.

I was using John Fredia Frizz Ease serum for a while when I was still using cones. I found that it made my hair feel lovely for the first use, but didn't help waves, because you can't put it in without touching your hair too much. After the first use, it would make my hair too sticky, so I would alternate between serum and leave in conditioner. I would serum the first wash, then leave in conditioner for the next two, then back to serum. But I don't think it's worth it's money and the bottles always leak if you leave them in the bathroom, I think they have designed them this way.

I don't know if this helps much, but this is what I do. If I want my hair to be really wavy, when I get out of the shower, I wrap it in a towel when I get out of the shower for about a minute, and press down on it to absorb the water but don't rub. Then I let all the hair out and don't touch it again at all until it has air dried. If I want smaller waves, I separate the stands with my fingers. The more is is separated the smaller the waves seem to be. If I separate the hair too much then I will get massive frizz.

Similar to what I usually do. All the roads lead to frizz land!

I haven't used Frizz Ease, but Tresemme Shine Spray always worked pretty well to define my 2c spirals. It didn't do much towards the top of my hair (since the waves were stretched out and weighed down by the cones), but I would get lots of compliments on the ends.

Merci.

My hair seems to reject all attempts to tame frizz. Look at the signature picture below for the puffy frizz in the last 6 inches.

1. CO washing - big shedding problem and still frizz
2. argan oil - frizz
3. Garnier anti frizz shampoo, cond. leave in - frizz
4. Curly girl method - frizz and/or with product it in disgusting limp sort of curls
5. Shea butter - some improvement

Currently what is working for me is "Pomsmooth" conditioner from Juice Organics and Juice Organics "Brightening Shampoo"

After washing I put in a small amount of shea butter then Marrakesh argan Oil. I love that oil even though it has cones. Let it dry out a little in the air then wide tooth cone and wet bun it with hair sticks to dry. I let the bun out just before it's completely dry and finger arrange.

So much work but my hair seems to like it and it's the only thing that's worked so far. I need to get a new photo.
Lol, you made me laugh.

Will try shea butter, thanks.