PDA

View Full Version : Curly Hair Tangles Less?

ChatoyantLocks
August 10th, 2008, 07:29 PM
My hair has been behaving differently since I started trying some of the techniques on LHC. It is a lot wavier and has more body and has been tangling less. What I hadn't realized is that the decrease in tangling might be due to the waves! (I thought it was just because my hair was less dry.) I was doing some searches online about wavy and curly hair and stumbled across this article: http://www.livescience.com/health/070913_curly_hair.html in which they did a study to find out whether people with straight or curly hair had more tangles, and it turned out that the people with straight hair did!

Anyway, I was wondering if this matches the experience of other people here? If you have had wavier or curlier hair at some point and straighter at another, which tangled less?

akurah
August 10th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Straight haired people fuss with their hair more. Curly people tend to leave theirs alone after styling to prevent disturbing the curl pattern, so it makes sense to me that it tangles less.

Bucatini
August 10th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Good question.

I have straight hair on the underside of my hair, it's probably not more than 1b/1c though everything else is approx 2c/3a depending on weather and routine. That straight part tangles like CRAZY though the rest is normally trouble-free. I've always wondered if it was the location or the texture but I'm pretty sure it's the texture.

I also agree with what akurah said.

ChatoyantLocks
August 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Good question.

I have straight hair on the underside of my hair, it's probably not more than 1b/1c though everything else is approx 2c/3a depending on weather and routine. That straight part tangles like CRAZY though the rest is normally trouble-free. I've always wondered if it was the location or the texture but I'm pretty sure it's the texture.

Oh, yes! that's also a good way to compare - people who have different types of hair at the same time!

Nat242
August 10th, 2008, 08:16 PM
It could be the change in texture, but also the things that you've changed in your routine since joining LHC may have made your hair more manageable, e.g. more moisture = less tangles, soft hair = less tangles, wearing it up more = less tangles, etc.

Whatever it is, I'm happy for you!

30isthenewblack
August 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I've never had straight hair but I have been puzzled by all the stories of people have tangled hair as my curly hair hardly ever gets tangles. We have been discussing in the Curly & Wurly thread that our hair gets tiny little knots & even that is rare is for me. What is odd that some of us find it hard to S&D as we cannot see any split ends within our curls not that I'm complaining.

flapjack
August 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I would think hair thickness and texture (is your hair fine and cobweb-like or coarse and rough, etc.) would relate to this a lot more, honestly.

darkwaves
August 11th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I think it relates to factors other than curliness, too.

And, for the record, my thick, fine, curly hair tangles instantly and constantly!!! I get the tiny knots and the great big snarls -- in minutes!

Samikha
August 11th, 2008, 03:06 AM
My hair used to tangle a lot more when I was younger and brushed it all the time - it seemed straighter, too. But I almost never have any tangles worth mentioning, so I'm not sure my hair is relevant to the discussion :)

curly girl fla
August 11th, 2008, 05:42 AM
My curly hair tangles if I look at it the wrong way! But since I've been taking better care of it, and it's in good condition, the detangling process is much less painful...

Curlsgirl
August 11th, 2008, 05:51 AM
There was a thread on this on the old board and really it seemed to depend on the person. I think routine has a lot to do with it for sure and especially how much you wear it up. Mine didn't tangle much at all until it got past BSL and then started to tangle more. Now if I leave it down it does some but I don't detangle much between CWCs. My hair is not any straighter in fact it's curlier underneath and it tangles more there than anywhere. Oh and I do get those pesky little tiny knots sometimes that seem to be popular with curlies :rolleyes:

detritus
August 11th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I think it probably depends more on the thickness of individual strands than curliness. Since fine curly hair is less common than fine straight hair, that study incorrectly concluded that straight hair tangles more (IMO). My BF has very coarse hair and mine is very fine. Sometimes we put shed hairs up on the shower wall. I've noticed that I can swirl mine around and get the hairs to bend at much more sharp angle than his. For example, I can get mine to curve in a circle with a diameter of about 1/2 cm. But his hair won't bend more sharply than 1.5 cm or so. So because fine hair is more bendable, I think it just has more opportunity to bend back on itself to knot and tangle.

Tangles
August 11th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I don't think so, I think CO makes hair tangle less.

Solange
August 11th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I don't know if it makes a difference whether the curls are natural or not, but I curled my hair a few years ago (never again) and got the worst tangles ever! I think the hair's texture (fine or coarse) and the condition of the hair scales (smooth or roughed up) probably makes the biggest difference. Maybe your hair is just healthier now.