PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else dislike 'doing' their hair?

Sylvestrix
September 26th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I had a bit of a minor epiphany today.

It turns out, I'm not particularly bad at putting my hair up. After months of thinking I just couldn't braid, I've sussed out that it's actually that I just don't like wearing my hair up.

More specifically, I don't like the way I look with my hair up. I lovewearing my hair loose. I like the way it looks, and I love the way it feels. The problem with this is that I feel like a bit of a long haired failure if I don't put my hair up, as if I'm not taking good enough care of it.

My ultimate question here is, do any of our super long hairs wear their hair loose often? Am I doomed to have shorter hair if I don't put it up on a regular basis? I should probably point out that when I'm in the house, which is around five days a week, my hair is always up. But when I go outside and want to look nice, I can't seem to get into the groove of an updo.

I would really, really like to grow my hair to at least tailbone. But if that means absolutely having to put my hair back, I'm going to have to reassess my goals.

So weigh in, fellow hairy ones! Will my hair survive flowing loose a few days a week? Do you wear your hair down often? If so, what do you do to make sure it stays in tippytop condition?

Salmonberry
September 26th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I'm with you. I only put it up if I'm absolutely required to, and when I do I feel funky and awkward. I'm just not comfortable with it. The longest I ever had my hair was a little past BSL and I always wore it down. It wasn't super damaged either.

I can't speak for super long hair though. It might be different.

jacqueline101
September 26th, 2012, 04:27 PM
There are days I hate doing mine. When that happens I just wear a head band and place the loose length over my shoulder.

fairhairedthing
September 26th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I'm in this boat, as I'm not an up do person either. It's not really "me". I feel more feminine, and more like myself with my hair down, and it was the same when I had fairly long hair. I always treat my hair with extra care to make up for wearing it down a lot.

lunalocks
September 26th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I am not a super long hair, but I can say that wearing my hair up most of the time for the past year certainly has improved quality and thickness.

Madora
September 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Wearing it up certainly helps the growing process! I'm sure I never would have reached 48 inches if I wore it down!

There's no reason that you can't have healthy hair if you wear it loose BUT you're going to have to be very pro active at keeping those tangles at bay and keeping the ends trimmed.

To me, it is a lot easier wearing it up. You don't have to mess with it all that much and not having to deal with tangles is a major plus in my book.

Wearing hair down means you're going to need to be careful not to get it caught in things too...plus the hair getting rubbed on fabrics and keeping the hair looking tidy and not messy. Loose long hair can be beautiful...but you have to work harder to keep it healthy.

fairhairedthing
September 26th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Loose long hair can be beautiful...but you have to work harder to keep it healthy.

Yes, absolutely, 100% true. The amount of time I spent on my long hair when I always wore it loose was definitely a lot. To me, it is/was/will always be worth it.

But I don't ever recommend wearing it loose on windy days, I learned that the really hard way.

kallarina
September 26th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I just reached tailbone. I still wear my hair down often. Wearing it up is easy because I have less tangles and whatnot, but I haven't noticed any awful damage. I like wearing it down. I don't have any problem wearing it down at tailbone. Classic is my goal, which might be a different story.

Sylvestrix
September 26th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm with you. I only put it up if I'm absolutely required to, and when I do I feel funky and awkward. I'm just not comfortable with it. The longest I ever had my hair was a little past BSL and I always wore it down. It wasn't super damaged either.

I can't speak for super long hair though. It might be different.

This is exactly it- funky and awkward. It's like I don't know what to do with my head o.o I'm just resting on BSL right now, so I'll have to see how it goes from here!

There are days I hate doing mine. When that happens I just wear a head band and place the loose length over my shoulder.

I do like headbands! And keeping it back from my face makes me less inclined to fiddle with/chew on it, which are not my best habits!

I'm in this boat, as I'm not an up do person either. It's not really "me". I feel more feminine, and more like myself with my hair down, and it was the same when I had fairly long hair. I always treat my hair with extra care to make up for wearing it down a lot.

I feel so much more comfortable with my hair down. I can't put my finger on why, it's just a general awkwardness like Salmonberry said. It's good to know that others feel the same, I'm trying to compensate by babying the heck out of it, I'm just worried I won't be able to do enough!

I am not a super long hair, but I can say that wearing my hair up most of the time for the past year certainly has improved quality and thickness.

I do wear my hair up in the house, which is anything from four to six days a week right now, so I suppose I am helping things along a little. I do know it's much better for my locks to keep it up, I just can't seem to get into the groove!

Wearing it up certainly helps the growing process! I'm sure I never would have reached 48 inches if I wore it down!

There's no reason that you can't have healthy hair if you wear it loose BUT you're going to have to be very pro active at keeping those tangles at bay and keeping the ends trimmed.

To me, it is a lot easier wearing it up. You don't have to mess with it all that much and not having to deal with tangles is a major plus in my book.

Wearing hair down means you're going to need to be careful not to get it caught in things too...plus the hair getting rubbed on fabrics and keeping the hair looking tidy and not messy. Loose long hair can be beautiful...but you have to work harder to keep it healthy.

I think I've been fairly lucky in that my hair is quite resilient to tangles. When I've been outdoors for the day, when I fingercomb through it, I tend not to find any knots or tangles. The rubbing and catching on things is my main concern, I don't know if I'm destroying my chances of growing longer by wearing it completely loose when I'm outside. =/

Yes, absolutely, 100% true. The amount of time I spent on my long hair when I always wore it loose was definitely a lot. To me, it is/was/will always be worth it.

But I don't ever recommend wearing it loose on windy days, I learned that the really hard way.

Shudder. Definitely stick to this advice- when my hair is in my face I tend to chew on it, so having it blown directly into my mouth is just a horrific mess of badness (best awfully worded sentence yet). I'm definitely willing to spend longer/put more effort into caring for my hair if it means I can wear it loose a few days a week.
I don't enjoy my hair when it's up, so I guess at the end of the day I'm better off having shorter hair (if I must) that I can enjoy, than long hair that I'm not comfortable with because I have to go out with it up :)

I just reached tailbone. I still wear my hair down often. Wearing it up is easy because I have less tangles and whatnot, but I haven't noticed any awful damage. I like wearing it down. I don't have any problem wearing it down at tailbone. Classic is my goal, which might be a different story.

So glad to hear your at tailbone whilst wearing it down regularly, I'm scrounging around for hope to cling to at the moment, so prepare to be clung to =D

Thanks to you all- it's nice to hear that people have had success keeping lovely long locks whilst still being able to wear it down. :cheese:

brave
September 26th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I've known a couple people on this board with classic or near-classic length who wear it down near-constantly. I think it's personal preference. I'm only APL but yeah, I prefer it down and don't anticipate that changing.

kallarina
September 26th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Haha, cling all you like! ;)
Just know that the longer it gets, the more it will tangle. Just because you don't get many tangles at this length doesn't mean it will always be that way.
But honestly, if wearing your hair down is what makes you happy, do it. I haven't even had a stall, and haven't trimmed since January. It's definitely possible, just make sure you're careful when detangling in the evenings and everything. I always spritz with water and a conditioner mixed in, then add a few drops of mineral oil over that before detangling every night.

Vrindi
September 26th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Mine is at waist, and I wear it down most of the time. I put it up when I'm climbing or working out, but usually, it's down. I do have to work harder to keep it healthy, but keeping the ends oiled has certainly helped. Wear your hair the way you like it. Keeping it up can help some keep it nicer, but it's not a rule that you have to keep it up if it's long. Learn to be aware of where it is (not stuck in car doors or windows, not trapped under a purse strap) and it will be fine.

PetuniaBlossom
September 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM
I'm also at waist and I like wearing it down. I'm not very adept at updos, either. However, all that being said, when I found the Nautilus bun on this forum, it was like an epiphany! I can actually do it! It looks neat, it can be worn with casual or dressy clothes, it's protective, and above all, I can do it!
So most days it's my default hair style. Though I always take it down at least two or three times during the day, give my scalp a gentle massage, and then back into the Nautilus it goes. When I do it during the break in my Tai Chi classes, it often is an opportunity to answer questions and refer people to the LHC. So it's a win-win.

gthlvrmx
September 26th, 2012, 07:46 PM
i dont know if im the only one, but who else out there finds that regular bunning causes tangles in their hair? like seriously, a cinnamon bun causes tangles for me especially if its up on top of my head so ive resorted to braiding it THEN bunning as it reduces tangles by like 80-90% or so on me.
i personally dont like wearing my hair down anymore because i think of the damage that could occur and it feels weird right now. if i would wear it down, id prefer to wear it down randomly or on a fancy occasion if it were like mid thigh length and beyond. just ramdomly becuase i know its a hassle sometimes to move around long hair like that and keep it from catching on to things. it feels nice to have hair swinging behind my back but the tangles man. and the rubbing against clothes, not for me. up it goes.

shutterpillar
September 26th, 2012, 07:54 PM
*raises my hand* me me me! I like the idea of putting my hair up in all these elegant styles, but then I go to do it and I either:
a.) try it and get completely frustrated
or
b.) decide I am far too lazy and impatient.

So it normally just hangs around, being it's usual wild self.

theemeraldskull
September 26th, 2012, 08:05 PM
I don't necessarily MIND putting my hair up, but I don't know many styles and am having to get used to putting it up for a few hours a day at least (trying to get myself used to it), since I usually leave it long and loose. I love my hair down! (it is almost BCL) I am hoping that keeping it up more will help it to grow neater. *fingerscrossed*

And I don't know why, but I rarely have to deal with many tangles in my hair. I will wash it before bed and not so much as touch it with a comb or brush until the next morning after I've slept on it, and won't have any trouble with brushing it through. Sometimes I will just put my hair up in the morning without even brushing or combing it. :-P

owlathena
September 26th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I prefer wearing my hair up these days, but mostly wear it loose or in a ponytail due to laziness. But its mostly just down.

jeanniet
September 26th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I think for the most part, your hair will be in better shape if you wear it up, at least at about waist and longer. At BSL and above, the ends aren't as old and will tolerate quite a bit more. That said, it doesn't mean you can't wear it down. Just be conscious and careful.

I wear my hair down at home, for the most part, as long as I'm not doing something where it gets in the way. But outside, it's up. It's too windy here, and when I'm out and about I don't want to be worrying about what my hair is going to get caught on!

catamonica
September 26th, 2012, 10:02 PM
I wear a low braided bun five days a week. I try to wear it down on weekends. It's still hot here, so I wear it in a braid with no hair tie. You have to let your hair down once in a while. It's good for the hair, without pins all the time. The hair needs to rest.

Syaoransbear
September 26th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I also hate doing my hair, mostly because I hate buns. I usually put it up with a claw clip.

justgreen
September 26th, 2012, 10:43 PM
I wear my hair down most of the time. Up-do every now and then. It's up with a large Ficcarre today, it was a warm one. I think my night time muscle relaxer makes me have hot flashes. I wish I had a comfortable way to wear it up in bed. I used to do an upside down braid, tip your head over and start your braid in the center of your head. I might have to try that again, my hair is much longer now. Isn't it amazing what we forget?

melusine963
September 27th, 2012, 02:19 AM
I enjoy wearing my hair up (mainly so I can forget it exists), but I don't enjoy the process of putting it up. If I try anything other than my usual go-to styles, it can be a lot of hassle to get it to look right and not come tumbling down as soon as I walk anywhere.

Ayjay
September 28th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Mine is around tailbone length I usually just put mine in some sort of braid down the middle of my back. I can't get bobby pins to work for the life of me and the only bun I really like is a low nautilus held with a crochet hook so I can easily release my hair when I start to get a headache. (Usually not from the hairdo more from allergies stress or eyes stain.) French braids only work once in awhile and to get the top to behave I HAVE to put the top half back with a barrette.

EtherealDoll
September 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I prefer wearing my hair down or in a half-up. I only wear it up at home, so that it doesn't get caught in things.