PDA

View Full Version : How does the end of your braid compare with the start?

gossamer
September 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM
The end of my braid is 1/2 to 1/3 the thickness of the start of my braid. I don't have fairytale ends because I have a blunt trim twice a year, but I do have tapering!

http://x88.xanga.com/57ce045736c35283496049/m226090760.jpg

How are your ends?

MinderMutsig
September 26th, 2012, 08:27 AM
I think that's pretty normal, especially at those lengths.

auburntressed
September 26th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I don't have a picture, but the tip of my braid is a sliver of the start. My ends don't look fairytale when they are brushed out. It looks like a slight U shape. But I suppose if I wore my hair down regularly, my ends would bunch up and look like fairytale ends through the course of the day.

My pony is 5". If I tried to measure the circumference of my braid tail just below the band, it would be around a half inch, possibly less - provided I braided almost all the way down.

nobeltonya
September 26th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Yep. *raises hand* Of course, I suppose it's normal to have tapering.. I also don't have fairy tail ends [I'm OCD about trimming every 3-4 weeks :D], but I guess some hairs grow faster than others? Your hair is awesome, btw. Few years til I'm there.. :) :disco:

gossamer
September 26th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I think that's pretty normal, especially at those lengths.

I imagine so. I think the ends are slightly thicker than they were last year thanks to a bit of thickness moving down. I'm not worried, I'm just curious! :)

gossamer
September 26th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I don't have a picture, but the tip of my braid is a sliver of the start. My ends don't look fairytale when they are brushed out. It looks like a slight U shape. But I suppose if I wore my hair down regularly, my ends would bunch up and look like fairytale ends through the course of the day.

My pony is 5". If I tried to measure the circumference of my braid tail just below the band, it would be around a half inch, possibly less - provided I braided almost all the way down.

"Braid tail" sounds so much better than "end of braid". I was blanking on what the correct term is.

You have amazingly thick hair!

sharonluvscats
September 26th, 2012, 08:52 AM
My braid tapers a lot thanks to my stupid stupid layers. It goes from nice thick braid to barely visible.

gossamer
September 26th, 2012, 09:00 AM
My braid tapers a lot thanks to my stupid stupid layers. It goes from nice thick braid to barely visible.

Layers grow out :p or until they do, they make your hair look voluminous when unbraided. Both are positives!

lunalocks
September 26th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Sounds about right for me as well. Since I have been taking much better care of my hair (in big part thanks to suggestions here), thickness is moving down my hair. I have more new hairs than ever catching up with my length.

IzzyFlyy
September 26th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Something I just realised last week... when I just gather my hair at the nape of my neck and braid it, it does the weird skinny tail thing. But if I gather my hair into a kinda high ponytail and braid it its a bit shorter (Duhh) but the braid is more uniform, and this is braiding semi tight not loose... I'm sure its because of layers like y'all said and to get past it I just braid loose
It looks pretty but I have to redo it like twice a day. :P

ouseljay
September 26th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Ditto, except my pony is 4 inches. Braid tapers down to near nothing. When I wear a braid for decorative purposes (rather than just to get the dratted hair out of the way) I leave a tassel that's about a third of the total length, otherwise it looks too puny and sad.

I haven't done a proper trim in ages, I usually just S&D, which probably explains it. On the plus side, this much taper makes buns really easy!

theemeraldskull
September 26th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Here is my braid. I had gotten a slight amount of layering a few months ago, starting from about where the ends of my hair meet my jaw on up to the tip (peeking out above my hand), so there is quite a drastic difference between my ends and the start. But I am hoping to grow it more and with regular blunt trims to get the ends a little thicker. :-)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/theemeraldskull/braidends.jpg

WaitingSoLong
September 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM
I do not have layers and my braid end is about 1/3, unless you are talking the last 6 " and then it is maybe 1/5th. I would guess at 1/2", it is really too small to measure. I have never measured my braid circumference. I would guess it is a tad thicker than my ponytail.

I do have taper but I have noticed that my "terminal ends" on the sides are a it longer now than they were a few years ago. Instead of MBL/waist, they are more like hip. SO I know my thickness is improving.

I intend to take some updated progress pics next month when it will be 2 years since y highlights and a year since my last trim. I will try to include a braid pic, if you want. I just wrote it down so I will remember.

gthlvrmx
September 26th, 2012, 11:35 PM
my braid is so thin and the ends are thinner....skinnier than a pencil i think, its too small for my liking but i have to put up with it. i just had another big shed and i have layers so it makes it look really skinny. maybe like the last 6 inches is around pencil size? i havent really checked but when i braid it its really skinny and startles me, losing hair sucks and im not used to having such thin hair im a thick haired person! >.<

i would post a picture but i feel too bad about it so i wont. but it happens naturally either way.

Natalia
September 27th, 2012, 12:38 AM
I'll have to do a check with the measuring tape but i just did my pony circumfrance today and its gone up to a hair short (yes pun intended) of 2 1/2 inches but i know my tail is significantly smaller since i have a severe taper and a few inches of fairytales. I'll try to remeber to do it tomorow.

melusine963
September 27th, 2012, 02:07 AM
The end of my braid is pathetically thin. Less than it used to be, since I give it a thorough trim every year, but once I hit my goal of TB I'll maintain it there until the ends thicken up.

Johanna
September 28th, 2012, 02:32 AM
My braid is pretty universal in thickness down to almost bsl, then it hits my regrowth and tapers to about 1/4 the thickness right at the end. I'm happy that it looks like I'll have a nice thick braid all the way down when all my hair is all natural.

gossamer
September 28th, 2012, 02:35 AM
The end of my braid is pathetically thin. Less than it used to be, since I give it a thorough trim every year, but once I hit my goal of TB I'll maintain it there until the ends thicken up.

That's what I have to remind myself when I get a bit down about the difference. The thickness is working its way down, and with each trim it's a little bit thicker!

Natalia
September 28th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Well tried to measure it and that was an exercise in futility, so tiny could get an accurate read on the tape :(. O well the cost of being fine/thin glad i got to upgrate my thicknes stat so someday that will change

ingvild
September 28th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I do have taper, and a lot for only being at MBL (I think) :( But I think it has improved. I STILL have some ancient layers left, and I guess not trimming for 1 year+ didn't help anything. :p Have been back to trimming for a year now, but I still need to trim about 10 cm to be content with my taper...

but right now I'm focusing on trying to get to waist first. I'll post some pics later, perhaps. :)

Helen W
September 28th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Mine goes from a thin plait to an even thinner one! Hey ho thats life!

melusine963
September 28th, 2012, 03:50 AM
That's what I have to remind myself when I get a bit down about the difference. The thickness is working its way down, and with each trim it's a little bit thicker!

Exactly! My hair is pretty uniform in thickness until it hits waist length, then it thins dramatically all the way down to the ends. I know this is because I'm still growing out pre-LHC hair, and I'm resigned to another two or three years before it's all trimmed away. Sometimes I look at photos to see if my braid thickness is working its way down yet. I think it is, slowly but surely.
Good luck with your hair journey!

Anabell
September 28th, 2012, 04:16 AM
I actually measured this! My circumference in the nape is like 5 inches (14 cm) and my ends circumference is 2 inches (5 cm) !! this is a long way to go until the thickness will travel down to the ends....

Alvrodul
September 28th, 2012, 04:31 AM
Here is the beginning and the end of my braid. Quite a difference!
http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m529/Alvrodul/Length%20and%20color%20pics/Beginningandendofbraid.jpg

QMacrocarpa
September 28th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I've got lots of taper, but I try not to think of it as a bad thing. If I had no taper at all, then when my long hairs shed I wouldn't have any up-and-comers to take their places. Having strands of hair with overlapping terms of office is synonymous with taper.

maborosi
September 28th, 2012, 07:20 AM
No tapering here, buuut, I suppose that's just 'cause my hair's not past SL yet. lol

~maborosi~

woolyleprechaun
September 28th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Due to layers, the end of my braid is about the thickness of a 5 pence piece, while it started off as a £2 coin at least :(

WaitingSoLong
September 28th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Due to layers, the end of my braid is about the thickness of a 5 pence piece, while it started off as a £2 coin at least :(

LOLOL! I have never seen British coins! I love your description, though!

petali
September 28th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Mine is pretty consistent until about APL, then it's only 1/2 of my thickness, maybe less. But I can see that the thickness is moving down a bit!

itdontmatter48
September 28th, 2012, 08:29 AM
I would think that's fairly normal for all of us, unless we had a haircut, that would even it up for most of us. You are normal!

melusine963
September 28th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Having strands of hair with overlapping terms of office is synonymous with taper.
This is the best comparison I've heard so far! :hifive:

bunzfan
September 28th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Thats why i started micro trimming because the braid tail was so thin.

In jan

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/5750/011uxa.jpg

Now

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/3136/dscf0006b.jpg

jacqueline101
September 28th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I'm going to try this again last time I did my v hem line didn't like being braided my hair looked like a porcupine.

Neorah
September 28th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Don't want to take a new photo right now because my hair is wet, but my braid is pretty much the same thickness all the way down, which you can kinda see in this photo:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk129/joliefolle/braid.jpg

I did just trim my hair back into a V-shaped hemline, though, so it's possible that there will be a bit more taper now...

bunzfan
September 28th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Don't want to take a new photo right now because my hair is wet, but my braid is pretty much the same thickness all the way down, which you can kinda see in this photo:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk129/joliefolle/braid.jpg

I did just trim my hair back into a V-shaped hemline, though, so it's possible that there will be a bit more taper now...

I'm so jealous of you knowing that, mine is due to past damage from colors and straighteners though.

Loveisaverb
September 28th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I do have a little taper, but the ends of my braids are maybe 1/3 thinner compared to the base of my braid. Come on layers grow~

xoxophelia
September 28th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I think the top of my braid looks similar to yours but then it tapers to a bit thinner fairly rapidly and then the ends have a bit more bulk than your current ends (although my hair is only somewhere around 37").. so I have more taper than you at this length would be my guess :)

melusine963
September 28th, 2012, 01:36 PM

I'm extremely envious right now. I'll have to file this away as a new hair goal...

spirals
September 28th, 2012, 01:51 PM
I think my tail is 1/3 the width of the top of my braid. That's because I gave myself a tapered cut when it was at APL. One of my future goals is to get rid of the thinned length, but I still want a V-hem.

LoveSnap
September 28th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I'm growing my hair back naturally and I have not had it shaped so I have a tapered braid. One day when I am happy with the length of my hair I will get it shaped.

Strelitzia
September 28th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Some of these braids are so thud-worthy!!

I would love love love to have a braid as thick and long as yours Neorah!! Totally gorgeous :D

I would say my braid is a lot like bunzfan's, although my tail is ridiculously thin as I had a massive shed in April and I'm slowly microtrimming to try and keep length whilst waiting (or hoping!) for the thickness to grow down.