PDA

View Full Version : Aloe Vera JUICE. How do you use it?

AineMuirne
September 26th, 2012, 06:16 AM
My mother bought some aloe vera juice because she wanted to drink a bit every day, but it made her sick. So she gave it to me for my hair. I'm not quite sure why she BOUGHT juice since she has like 500 aloe vera plants in the backyard (totally taking one when I go there next).

I'm using the juice for the first time now... I oiled my hair last night with coconut oil and I just put the aloe juice on top and wrapped it all up in plastic wrap. It's getting a little itchy (the juice has citric acid in it as a preservative), so I'm only leaving it in for like fifteen minutes. We'll see what happens.

Does anyone use aloe vera juice? What do you use it for? I know the gel is quite popular here, but I can't find much about juice. Is it just less potent than the gel?

bekstamonkey
September 26th, 2012, 06:23 AM
My mother bought some aloe vera juice because she wanted to drink a bit every day, but it made her sick. So she gave it to me for my hair. I'm not quite sure why she BOUGHT juice since she has like 500 aloe vera plants in the backyard (totally taking one when I go there next).

I'm using the juice for the first time now... I oiled my hair last night with coconut oil and I just put the aloe juice on top and wrapped it all up in plastic wrap. It's getting a little itchy (the juice has citric acid in it as a preservative), so I'm only leaving it in for like fifteen minutes. We'll see what happens.

Does anyone use aloe vera juice? What do you use it for? I know the gel is quite popular here, but I can't find much about juice. Is it just less potent than the gel?

I use the gel for rare instances where my scalp is a little dry, and I use the juice as part of my liquid content for making shampoo bars, never used it directly on my hair...but interested to know how it works for you!

AineMuirne
September 26th, 2012, 07:51 AM
My hair is drying still, but it seems very nice. I don't know how much of it can be attributed directly to the aloe juice, since I had coconut oil on my hair and I also used my homemade shampoo for the first time in a few weeks.

I do think I'm going to start adding the juice to the homemade shampoo. A lot of people add it to their homemade shampoo, apparently. And, since it's supposed to be good for keeping hair on the head I'll start adding it to my boyfriend's castor oil/coconut oil scalp concoction because he is losing his hair. :(

In2wishin
September 26th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Actually, the juice is MORE potent than the gel because it is the purest form of aloe you can buy (the gel directly from the plant is the only thing more pure). What many don't know is that the gel directly from the plant will lose it's thick texture within hours and become juice. The gel that you buy has thickeners added in addition to preservatives, whereas the juice only has less than 1% citric acid added as a preservative.

I don't use it myself because it is too much for my hair but I know several people who dilute their conditioner with AV juice to add its properties. They don't want the extra polymers, carbomers, etc used to thicken the gel on their hair.

AineMuirne
September 26th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Actually, the juice is MORE potent than the gel because it is the purest form of aloe you can buy (the gel directly from the plant is the only thing more pure). What many don't know is that the gel directly from the plant will lose it's thick texture within hours and become juice. The gel that you buy has thickeners added in addition to preservatives, whereas the juice only has less than 1% citric acid added as a preservative.

I don't use it myself because it is too much for my hair but I know several people who dilute their conditioner with AV juice to add its properties. They don't want the extra polymers, carbomers, etc used to thicken the gel on their hair.

Thank you for that! I would never BUY the gel because I know it always has that extra junk in it and my hair is very easily weighed down, but I didn't realize that made it so much less potent. I do think I'm going to make my own gel, though, from the plant, once I get one from my mother.

I wasn't so sure about my hair when it was in the stage where it looks dry, but isn't completely dry. It didn't seem soft at all and looked frizzy-ish. But now that it IS completely dry, it looks and feels amazing. It isn't tangling at all and there are no frizzies.

I'm definitely going to start adding it to my shampoo recipe and maybe to conditioner, too.

In2wishin
September 26th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Thank you for that! I would never BUY the gel because I know it always has that extra junk in it and my hair is very easily weighed down, but I didn't realize that made it so much less potent. I do think I'm going to make my own gel, though, from the plant, once I get one from my mother.

I wasn't so sure about my hair when it was in the stage where it looks dry, but isn't completely dry. It didn't seem soft at all and looked frizzy-ish. But now that it IS completely dry, it looks and feels amazing. It isn't tangling at all and there are no frizzies.

I'm definitely going to start adding it to my shampoo recipe and maybe to conditioner, too.

I wouldn't say it is "so much less potent", it is just a matter of percentages. Generally, the juice is 99.5% pure aloe where the gels can be more like 95-98% aloe depending on what else gets addded.

cwarren
September 26th, 2012, 07:49 PM
AV juice is great for detangling my hair. Nothing works better.

Seeshami
September 26th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I drink it.

eta:
It is Aloe Juice that is made and sold for consumption not random aloe juice that is not for consumption

MORE
September 28th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I made a rinse to DBF a couple of days ago including:

1 part aloe vera juice
1 part ACV
9-10 parts cold water

He had an itchy and flaky scalp that he has been haunted by for some time and wanted help with. It worked!!! He did it as a rinse after washing with his soap bar and did not rinse out.

We were very pleased with the result! It looked so beautiful.:crush: I already tried aloe vera gel and EVOO on his scalp, and just ACV by itself, but that didn't cut it.

Oh, about a month ago I did experiment with a very luxurious rinse including AVJ only, but I was disappointed because it made my hair feel dry and straw-like.

But in the scalp rinse I made, it worked miracles!:pegasus:

AineMuirne
September 28th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Thank you so much for these responses!

My boyfriend is prone to a dry scalp, mostly because he showers twice a day most days due to working in a hospital. I currently have a honey bear in the shower with ACV rinse in it, and I think I'll add some juice to that, as well!

MORE
September 28th, 2012, 06:00 AM
You're very welcome!

I hope it can help your boyfriend too!:)