PDA

View Full Version : Any wavies with bangs??

manderly
August 10th, 2008, 06:20 PM
All these fringe/bang threads have got me feeling the urge to have bangs. I've had them once in my adult life and they were kind of ridiculous, so I'm trying to keep that in my brain at all times.

But I was wondering if there are any wavies out there with nice looking bangs or if nice bangs are just for straighties?

ReadingRenee
August 10th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Im a wavy with bangs and on occasion they can look ridiculous especially if don't train them to lay right directly out of the shower. I think for me its too much work to have short eyebrow skimming bangs but I can totally do longer sideswept bangs with waves.

eta to add:

I have a picture of my bangs in my blog. They are laying straight and flat after wetting them down and drying them in place.

EvilPigeon
August 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I have bangs. They don't look too rediculous, in my opinion at least :p

I also have some photos in my album. I think I look silly without them, actually.

thankyousir74
August 10th, 2008, 07:04 PM
I used to have bangs, I and I don't know what really qualifies as bangs but I like it best when they were around my chin or jawline. now I'm aiming for all one length, I've never had that before and can't wait :)

DotDotDot
August 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I don't have an answer to your question, but I know of plenty of curlies who look good with bangs! They are definitely NOT just for straighties. :)

toodramatik
August 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
You can get bangs that look much better on wavy hair, and I like them because they're very pretty and very feminine. I actually don't like the look of straight bangs.

I have bangs, and since I cut them myself [bad idea], they're pretty crap looking. But I actually get good hair days where they look awesome :D

but I think, don't get them too short. Cheekbone length maybe?

manderly
August 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Well when my stylist cut them they were about eyebrow length and the immediately stuck straight up! HA!

So I guess what I really wanted to know is how do you tame your bangs when your hair is naturally wavy? Mine tends to get curly when it's really short.

I didn't really want to have to flat iron or do crazy things to make them presentable.

ETA: I think my widow's peak causes some interference as well.

Nat242
August 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have bangs, and if I want to wear them out (i.e. not pinned back), I need to straighten them with a blow dryer/ flat iron, or pin them flat to dry.

I don't worry too much about possible heat damage - I keep it on the lowest possible setting and they get trimmed, unlike the rest of my hair. Heat-dependent bangs are really only an issue when you want to grow them out, because there will be some damage.

I had bangs that were straight across my eyebrows at one point - I loved the look but my cowlick, widow's peak and waves made them a PITA. I've grown them out to about chin length, which is more manageable, and I can pin them back more easily when I don't want to heat style.

HTH!

ReadingRenee
August 10th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I lay a wide headband directly across my forehead with my wet bangs underneath. I let them dry that way with a little bit of gel for hold. :)

You could also use a bandanna folded like a headband too.

crispycritters
August 10th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I know I've been thinking about having bangs for something different. But I remember them being in the way and I'd freak out if it wasn't perfect. I looked really good with them but of course i flat iron them when their eyebrow length any thing longer I'd have them curly. I dont miss messing with them I'd rather have all one length of hair. No layers or bangs is what im trying for. Never had just one length. I just gotta quit looking at people with bangs and thinking how cute it looks though. Its a problem that I can't figure out either.

Darkhorse1
August 10th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Raises hand

I'm currently growing out my very dated bangs and trying to just keep a fringe. My only problem is that they don't lay like straight hair. They twist/kink and I also have a cowlick. However, I feel I need bangs/fringe, and I like the results, though growing out the majority of them has nearly driven me batty :)

If I could figure out how to take photos that work, I'd upload them. I'll try tomorrow when I have daylight....well....seeing as it's been raining forever, maybe rain light? ;)

Darkhorse1
August 10th, 2008, 10:16 PM
ps--the photos I've uploaded here aren't very accurate as the majority of these photos I'd been riding just before and they'd been squished in my helmet. :D

Darkhorse1
August 10th, 2008, 10:22 PM
NOTE--if trimming wavy hair/ bangs yourself, remember to give your hair from wet to dry 'rise' time. Meaning, what looks ideal soaking wet might rise up an inch when dry due to wave/body. If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, get it done professionally, watch them and then copy to maintain the look.

Elenna
August 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Ok wavy hair with bangs here! There is no way around the hair texture, so I do blow dry the bangs. The rest of hair air dries naturally. Some people look better in bangs (like moi).

Liluri
August 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I haven't had bangs for a while but the only way I found I could have a fringe I was happy with was with the help of a straightener.

Samikha
August 11th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I have bangs, but then my hair is not very wavy, and it tends to be almost straight at shorter lengths. I don't blowdry or straighten my bangs - they're thick, so with a bit of coaxing (combing when wet so they'll lie down) they behave. I definitely don't think bangs are a bad idea for wavies!

Shanarana
August 11th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I have some pictures in my private album of bangs on me, some of the pictures are not so great, but you get the idea. :) Your listed as a friend so you can see them. ;)

manderly
August 11th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Wow, thanks for all the photos everyone! You all look gorgeous!

Now tell me (man I am needy!), looking at my avatar.........bangs? Yes or no?

I even asked my BFs input and he told me to ask my "hair club" :)

Tap Dancer
August 11th, 2008, 03:59 AM
All these fringe/bang threads have got me feeling the urge to have bangs. I've had them once in my adult life and they were kind of ridiculous, so I'm trying to keep that in my brain at all times.

If you have pictures of your hair like that, maybe you should keep them by the computer. Maybe seeing how "ridiculous" they looked will help you control the urge to cut. ;)

tiny_teesha
August 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM
My bangs dry straight, but if i put them behind my ears (which i do) they get the ear kink and it looks bad, i just wash it when i was my face as they get oily quick. I like 'em :)

Gabrielle
August 11th, 2008, 04:32 AM
My bangs/fringe are not elective---my hair just breaks off around my face. I tame them with rose water or orange water daily and with a concoction of hair oils after I shampoo (usually 1x week). Straight bangs are not an option but if they were possible I would probably want them. I wear my hair up and bangs soften the hairstyle.

lapushka
August 11th, 2008, 05:23 AM
When left alone bangs totally frizz up and the separate parts go off in all sorts of directions. I hate it that you need to actually style (straighten) bangs as a wavy. That's why I try to avoid them, short ones at least. Something longer, and sideswept, might work.

Brianna
August 11th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I'm wavy, and I have bangs at eyebrow-length. I hardly need to do anything with it at all - I just have to comb it out after I've washed my hair and it dries fairly straight on its own. No issues at all. :)

RoseRedDead
August 11th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I cut myself some fringe on July 5th at about 1:30 AM. "Bad idea?" you think. "Not entirely," says I.

I cut them in two different layers: the first layer I cut at my cheekbone; the second at my chin. I did this while my hair was in need of a wash, so the hair around my face was pretty straight. I think I would do a bit more blending if i were to cut them again/maintain them.

As for styling, I do not style them. After I wash my hair, I do take a fine-toothed comb and comb MY FRINGE ONLY. Sometimes I will use a bit of aloe gel to get them straight-ish while wet. I let them dry naturally. They will sometimes wave a bit and sometimes they will stay pretty straight. If I wash my hair and do not comb them, they will be these two sections of hair on the side of my head that wave very very nicely but look ridiculous.

I do not use a flatiron on mine - I tried it but decided that with the after-shower combing I wouldn't need it.

Hope this helps.

noelgirl
August 11th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I go back and forth on bangs. I'm growing mine out right now because they're too much to deal with in the humidity and I kind of miss being able to just pull all my hair back - but you know that as soon as they've grown out some I'm going to want them again! I am way too fickle.

Curlsgirl
August 11th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Wow, thanks for all the photos everyone! You all look gorgeous!

Now tell me (man I am needy!), looking at my avatar.........bangs? Yes or no?

I even asked my BFs input and he told me to ask my "hair club" :)I think you look really pretty without the bangs and if they didn't "work" before for you you might not want to do it. I love my bangs and even though I am a little curlier than you, my hair at the top is straighter and more wavy than curly. I just blow dry my bangs and they stay that way with the exception of a few touchups with the curling iron between washes. It doesn't hurt since I keep them trimmed. I like the softness they add to my face. Sometimes I start growing them out and enjoy them for a while but always cut them back to eyebrow length.

Eireann
August 11th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I'm a wavy with bangs. I blow dry my bangs (on medium heat) and let the rest air dry. Also, I think it's helpful to have them cut "choppy" or "piecey" and not strait across. I love my bangs, but if they air dry, they can look a little funny.

jivete
August 11th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I have bangs, widows peak and a cowlick. I have to blow dry mine to make them look right. Sometimes I flat iron, but mostly, the blow dryer is just fine. They look okay if I let them dry naturally, as long as they're not too short. With the widow's peak, they just give me extra volume at the crown.

QueenBea
August 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I am SO glad I read this thread :) I'm a wavy, and the bangs thing is an ongoing struggle. I've grown them out and cut them a million times. I have a cowlick that makes all my hair go straight into my face--so I can get this great sideswept look in the morning by blowdrying and straightening them, and within 15 minutes--they're all right in my eyes looking goofy.

If I air dry them, they curl into a weird s-shape--at the moment, at nose length, that means they are sticking out horizontally above my left ear. Not a good look. But they aren't looking too frizzy or crazy, just too short for naturally drying right now, I think. I'm hoping that when they get an inch or two longer, they won't stick out so much.

Before I joined LHC last year, I never air dried my hair except a few times when it was all one length and past my shoulders in high school/college. And I didn't do that often, because my mother (who has the same texture as I do and has not come to terms with it, lol) would complain about how messy I looked and how I needed to comb/brush my hair (I look back at those pictures and my hair was BEAUTIFUL, sigh.)

So I'm thinking, I may be okay when my bangs get to about mouth- or chin-length.

For the OP, seems like most of us wavies have bang issues. But you know what? It's just hair. It grows back. It's not fun to grow back bangs, but enjoy your life and keep busy and happy--and before you know it, they'll have grown back; nothing to obsess about. Hair grows.

Good luck on your decision--
Bea

NurseMama
August 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
So I guess what I really wanted to know is how do you tame your bangs when your hair is naturally wavy? Mine tends to get curly when it's really short.

I didn't really want to have to flat iron or do crazy things to make them presentable.

ETA: I think my widow's peak causes some interference as well.

I have a severe widow's peak as well which is part of the reason that I love my bangs. Without bangs when my hair is pulled back my face just looks too severe with the widow's peak.

My bangs when pulled straight at just past the tip of my nose. I have had them as long as chin before. All I do to style them is after my shower and my hair has towel dried, I seperate out the bangs with a hairstick and blowfry those dry with a brush to help them straighten. I hold the rest of my hair back with a clip so that it doesn't get touched by the hot air. It takes less than a minute. I have to admit that I like the little wave that is still there even with the blowfrying- I think that it would look weird to have the rest of my hair be super wavey and the bangs be stick straight!

ReadingRenee
August 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM
yes thats what I love about bangs. They grow and they can be clipped back or put in headband so easily. Its pretty low risk, at least for me. :)

amiaow
August 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
I'm a wavy and I have bangs- mine are just below eyebrow length.

They have a cowlick so I blast them with the hairdryer after washing which makes them sit nice & flat, then air dry the rest of my hair.

I love having them- they are soft & girly. They are cut into a triangle shape at the top and are fairly thick and tapered down at the edges to look kind of Japanesey.

Of course some days, I pin them back! Which is easy to do at this length also.