PDA

View Full Version : Can one blow dry cause that much damage? What do I do?

frogette
September 25th, 2012, 11:45 PM
So, ten days ago I had a major trim that I was quite happy about. The stylist handled my hair very gently and did what I was asking without trying to convince me that I needed something else. I tried to book at the same salon for an updo or a blow dry a week after because I had a major occasion, and my usual messy bun wouldn't do. But they were not available early in the morning so I booked in another salon for a blow dry (no time for an updo).

It was an unpleasant experience; the stylist kept complaining about my fine hair that wouldn't curl, wasn't very gentle with my hair and it took almost an hour. I didn't like the result very much but it was better than nothing. When I combed my hair the same night it felt very tangly and sticky but I thought it was just residues of products.

The following day I just rinsed my hair and applied conditioner, but after drying, my hair still felt the same: super tangly and unmanageable. So tonight I washed it, and when it dried I could say that it looked very limp and rough, and it's still as tangly. I'm not sure what I can do; obviously, if it's damaged it's damaged and there is nothing to but chop it and start over; just I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm just confused, I would never have thought one blow dry could have such drastic consequences. And I'm super sad. I liked my hair quite much after the last trim.

akilina
September 25th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I think you should do a clarifying wash, and a really nice DT with a good balance of protein and moisture.
Don't assume the worst yet :flower:

joflakes
September 25th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I think you should do a clarifying wash, and a really nice DT with a good balance of protein and moisture.
Don't assume the worst yet :flower:

I'm with akilina. I hope it ends well for you!

bunnylake
September 25th, 2012, 11:58 PM
What the others said!
Whenever something messes up my hair, it always takes about a week to recover. I'm sure your hair will be fine!

EtherealDoll
September 26th, 2012, 01:17 AM
Usually after some "holiday hairstyle" that requires curling/flat ironing, it takes me 1-2 deep moisture treatments to make it soft and silky again.

I don't think one simple blow drying could cause you much damage but you mentioned curling, which actually could make your hair tangly especially if some hair-styling products were used.

UltraBella
September 26th, 2012, 01:27 AM
Sounds like build up, not damage. I agree with those who suggested clarifying.

melusine963
September 26th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Yep, what everyone else has recommended. I'm sure your hair will recover. Good luck!

battles
September 26th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I know my stylist likes to use heavy duty cones on my hair, and I normally have to clarify soon after. I didn't see if you mentioned that she washed your hair, but I agree that clarifying may help.