PDA

View Full Version : Did a scalp massage and had TONS of shedding

Bookloverlori
September 25th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Is this normal???

I've never done a scalp massage before, or at least, I've never done a scalp massage that lasted more than a few seconds. I probably did about 5 minutes or so, not too rough or too much pressure.

I haven't had that much shedding in YEARS! Did I do something wrong? I'm hoping it's because I didn't wash my hair this morning and maybe because I had my hair up this afternoon, the normal shedding didn't occur. It all came at once during the massage.

I'm a little freaked about it.

sisi33
September 25th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Nope! This is completely normal (at least for me!). I just think that it loosened all of the hairs that were going to fall out anyways. If I don't do a massage for a couple of weeks, then start up again, I ALWAYS get lots of shed hair! Then, the next day, when I do it again, I only get 5 or so (and my hair's been up all day, too). Don't worry, you did good! :D

hairhair
September 25th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Did you turn your head upside down? I have fine-medium hair and I find that this always causes shedding (turning my head upside down with hair loose), apparently due to the tangles or something. As sisi33 says, it could also be natural loosening of hair. I'd try a couple more times, and if it keeps shedding, stop.

On a related note, does anyone know a type of scalp massage that doesn't require turning the head upside down or significantly disturbing the hair?

eros
September 25th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I never turn my head upside down. why would you do that? is it better?
but yeah, bookloverlori, the last time i did a scalp massage i had a huuuuge shed! it freaked me out aswell! i'm gonna try it a few more times and if it still sheds, i'll stop i guess.

kitcatsmeow
September 26th, 2012, 05:44 AM
hmmm depends. I do a scalp massage usually nightly and shed some. DEf more than if I had just brushed but not a TON. I usually shed a TON after scritching. Maybe be a bit gentler.

Theobroma
September 26th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Did you put oil on your scalp for the massage? That might be a contributing factor (I shed handfuls when I put oil on my scalp even without massaging).

Henrietta
September 26th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I always shed when I do a scalp massage before washing. Only then. I guess it's because we move the weak hairs, the old ones that were still sitting in the scalp and hanging on a bit. Massaging is quite intensive, you touch all the places on your scalp so anything that is weak comes off suddenly. I wouldn't bother, it's perfectly normal :)

gonzobird
September 26th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I'm with you on this. I.don't do scalp massages enough to see if it all evens out in the end because i have a slight panic attack every time i see all the hair come out.

I also used to use oil, and when i don't its not nearly as bad. My scalp sheds when i put conditioner on it too.. So i don't think its for me. Less hair coming out out is better to me.

All and all, I think they are the ones were supposed to come out anyways, but it still freaks me out.... I.just do normal non oil scalp massage in the morning when I'm fluffing my hair.:)

Madora
September 26th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I never turn my head upside down. why would you do that? is it better?
but yeah, bookloverlori, the last time i did a scalp massage i had a huuuuge shed! it freaked me out aswell! i'm gonna try it a few more times and if it still sheds, i'll stop i guess.

Yes, you get more out of your massage if you do it with your head bent because of the increased circulation to your follicles. Healthy follicles equal healthy hair.

Regarding huge sheds...this should not happen when you massage. To be sure, you lose a few hairs...but not a lot.

If you do not comb or brush daily, then the shed might be attributable to the shed hairs that might still be trapped among the other hairs..and thus, when you massage, they fall out.

Before you massage (and after!) you should detangle your hair gently, and always use your fingerpads (not nails) to massage your hair (in small circular motions, working slowly as you grasp the scalp).

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
When I do my monthly treatments mine sheds a lot but I think it's normal it doesn't look any different.