PDA

View Full Version : Kid/Innocent Bystander Hairsticks?

TeaEarlGreyHot
September 25th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Numerous times in the past month I have poked my children with my hair sticks while dressing them, hugging them, bending down to pick something up and they get to close and I stand up....

I've seen those curved sticks on Etsy, would those be better? Do they work as well as straight sticks? I'm afraid it won't grip as well since one stick doesn't do it for me. I usually wear my Grahtoe Studio3 pronged fork.

Doesn't seem to matter if I put it in vertically or horizontally. I'm afraid I might blind one of my children, lol.

long&blonde
September 25th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I've wondered the same thing.
And fretted the same thing about curved hairsticks.
I have a Ravenscroft moon:that is astonishing in its beauty;but definitely has a learning curve to get it to hold a bun.
No way can I toss it in a bun and count on it to be rock solid:as I can my regular hairsticks.
I do know its way safer to cut down on stick length though; I have thin 5 inch sticks:which would be safer than the thick 7 inch Baerries stick I always reach for. You know how crazy this sounds,and we are legitimately discussing hair sticks? Lol.

LadyLongLocks
September 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I have had that fear for years and hardly wear hair sticks when I am around my kids. I poked my husband a few times. I generally go with big claw clips. They hold like a rock and I don't have to worry about poking anyone!

battles
September 25th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Maybe you could try bending a double pointed knitting needle into a fork? I'm not sure if you could find one that would end up a suitable length, but I think it wouldn't poke out as much.

elea
September 25th, 2012, 08:41 PM
good luck trying to bend a knitting needle... they are made in such a way that they will either snap or retaliate *;OP

i had some wooden sticks shortenned. can't wear sticks if i tumble or watch out for someone, i am damn well wearing them shopping! *8O)
i find shorter sticks hard to find actually, a couple of nails are of great help at the mo and will do till i get curved pins.
i tried my friends and... they hold as well as sticks. just the time to get used to the angle.

all the best finding something that's safe. damn, your kids don't wear glasses but... i bet they are greatful for it *;O)

Wahinee
September 25th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I just lost this one and I miss it a lot its really kid friendly
http://www.crystalmood.com/handmade-wood-hair-sticks-dolphin.html

Miss Catrina
September 25th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Sounds like it's time to start a small business selling rounded-tip hairsticks with a little cushion on the wide end. ;) (There could be one that had a tiny little tomato pincushion on the end! So cute!)

Aliped
September 25th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I have deliberately not used hairsticks on days I know I am likely to pick up a baby. I think my GTS 3 prong Lilliputian is safe though, because I usually hug and turn my head to the left, which puts the non-pointy end towards the person being hugged :)

piffyanne
September 26th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I've wondered the same thing.
And fretted the same thing about curved hairsticks.
I have a Ravenscroft moon:that is astonishing in its beauty;but definitely has a learning curve to get it to hold a bun.
No way can I toss it in a bun and count on it to be rock solid:as I can my regular hairsticks.
I do know its way safer to cut down on stick length though; I have thin 5 inch sticks:which would be safer than the thick 7 inch Baerries stick I always reach for. You know how crazy this sounds,and we are legitimately discussing hair sticks? Lol.
That. Last. Part. :rollin: [quality post]

Sounds like it's time to start a small business selling rounded-tip hairsticks with a little cushion on the wide end. ;) (There could be one that had a tiny little tomato pincushion on the end! So cute!)
I'd buy one. Maybe I should make one, though! :hmm:

ETA:
I'll be watching this thread, the back of my head is a dangerous place, my poor DBF is always getting stabbed in the chest. Good thing he's taller, or it would be his eyes.

A Midsummer Night's Dream, LHC version:
HERMIA:
"And are you grown so high in his esteem
Because I am so piffy and so low?
How low am I, thou painted maypole? Speak.
How low am I? I am not yet so low
That my hairsticks can't reach unto thine eyes!"
>attack-hug, utilizing full hairtoy-as-weapon potential<

melusine963
September 26th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I worry about poking people, too. I have a pair of hairsticks that were a present from a friend, but they're a bit too long for me. I can wear them with a wrapped bun, but for my nautilus I prefer to use a pencil that I used/sharpened down to just the right length. One day I'll get a proper hairstick that's the same length, ie. holds well, but doesn't stick out too far.

Tisiloves
September 26th, 2012, 02:18 AM
I hear good things about the Larks Squiggly. (http://www.etsy.com/shop/LarksHairSticks?section_id=10113207)

auburntressed
September 26th, 2012, 02:21 AM
I find it so weird to hear people talk about poking their loved ones with hairsticks! I guess it never comes up for me, because there is no one who I hug or come into close physical contact with on a daily basis. :p

I don't recall ever being poked by my mom's hairsticks when I was kid, either, though... hmm.

Anyhow, I'm visiting my nieces and nephews in a couple of months; and they are very huggy little children. So I guess I will find out if I have the same problem when it comes up!

Ocelan
September 26th, 2012, 03:08 AM
I've poked my DBF numerous times and he doesn't really appreciate it...
There seems to be less poking when using forks though and I try to position them diagonally a little downwards so I wouldn't be so pokey. I would like my very own moon though as I suspect there might be even less poking with one of those. Though when I need to be non-pokey I'll just wear a braid. :P

Natalia
September 26th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Maybe you could try bending a double pointed knitting needle into a fork? I'm not sure if you could find one that would end up a suitable length, but I think it wouldn't poke out as much.

This for sure! Made two by bending around the neck of a water bottle about 4 years ago and have worn them nearly everyday since. I picked up another pack today different sizes 20 needles for $7 ($12.99 before coupon) it will be a long time before i run out. I get the cheap aluminum kind size 4 or less the 4's get very hard to bend evenly.

TeaEarlGreyHot
September 26th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Great ideas, all! I'm glad to not be alone (our poor loved ones...), I thought about posting this for awhile trying to decide if it was just me being weird :cheese: I mean, that's true but I had to assess the situation first, lol. Can anyone attest to any of these hair fork/stick lovelies?

This one is pretty small, it would probably only work in a half up for me. I might have to reassess my hair thickness because I have the most ridiculous time with updos and using shorter sticks

http://www.etsy.com/listing/108694434/small-curved-wood-hair-fork-bun-screw-2?ref=sr_gallery_9&ga_search_query=curved+hair+stick&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all

I've been eyeing these for months and months, my hair has ridiculous slip and I'm afraid it would just uncoil with these.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/109949707/hair-fork-now-in-titanium-the-moirai-the?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=titanium+hair+pins&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all

And this one, I'd put it in with the ends pointing to the ground:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/110033693/crescent-hair-stick-mediterranean-olive?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=curved+hair+stick&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all

eshta
September 26th, 2012, 06:55 AM
I second Larks Squiggly, it's awesome once you figure out how it holds best. And although not a stick, Ficcares are on top of my safe to use around my newborn list.

1nuitblanche
September 26th, 2012, 06:58 AM
If you find a good solution, I'll be happy! I tried using a shorter stick, and still had kid problems. So, since DS was born, I've been a braid girl.

Nae
September 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM
The squiggy works well (once you can figure it out.)

I also think the ficcare might be a good option.

The shorter the hair stick the more hug friendly I find it.

TeaEarlGreyHot
September 26th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I second Larks Squiggly, it's awesome once you figure out how it holds best. And although not a stick, Ficcares are on top of my safe to use around my newborn list.

The squiggy works well (once you can figure it out.)

I also think the ficcare might be a good option.

The shorter the hair stick the more hug friendly I find it.

I have 2 Medium Maximas, love them but I can't get them to work in a bun yet. Right now I can only do a pencil bun wrapping around one finger and then I jam my 3 prong fork in the little loop and it will hold for hours. I have nearly BSL with layers so it uncoils unless it is just right. I also might need a large for some styles but those dang Ficcares are IMPOSSIBLE to actually find in stock! I got 2 of whatever I could in medium about a year ago. They don't match with anything I wear so I just use them for around the house and throw them in a purse for emergencies. Anyone know where to find good Ficcares in stock?!

I'll strongly consider a squiggy when there is a different wood in stock. I'm picky about colors of wood against my hair :rolleyes:

Today I'm wearing my regular pencil bun but I'm experimenting with the fork vertical. Still potential for a poke (I think this one is a 6" :eyebrows:) but not as much as a horizontal placement (again: :eyebrows:).

Tisiloves
September 26th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I'll strongly consider a squiggy when there is a different wood in stock. I'm picky about colors of wood against my hair :rolleyes:

She has some PYO blanks (http://www.etsy.com/shop/LarksHairSticks?section_id=10113010).

MinderMutsig
September 26th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I've only ever had this problem with sticks that were still a bit too long for my bun so my suggestion would be to get shorter ones.

TeaEarlGreyHot
September 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Well I ordered this blank https://www.etsy.com/transaction/95956510 after going back and forth between them all and Lark's FaceBook page looking at all the pictures! I convo'd her to ask about what size she'd suggest. I searched squiggly here on LHC and found some threads with pictures and they looked like a great solution and it is my birthday so I took the plunge :cheese:

piffyanne
September 26th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Well I ordered this blank https://www.etsy.com/transaction/95956510 after going back and forth between them all and Lark's FaceBook page looking at all the pictures! I convo'd her to ask about what size she'd suggest. I searched squiggly here on LHC and found some threads with pictures and they looked like a great solution and it is my birthday so I took the plunge :cheese:
Many happy returns of the day, may you love your hairstick to pieces!:D

Seeshami
September 26th, 2012, 09:39 AM
That's one reason why my soon to be retired 5 inch hair sticks are my favorite. The naughty mess uses every available inch and only tiny nubbins stick out. I poke more people with my mega flexi8 then I do my 5inches from pacific mercantile.

MandyBeth
September 26th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Quattro has the twisted sticks in his basics usually. I've got the shortest ones and they even hold my minion's ultra long (knee length stretched, mid back full curl) hair fine except usually the ends. Plus there is no stabbing since the stick is all hidden.

Otherwise, hair taping would work.

Quattro also has curved basic forks, those don't stick out from your head, so should limit poking chances.

kevala
September 26th, 2012, 12:51 PM
My poor husband swears I'll poke one of his eyes out someday with the wooden 6" sticks I like to wear. I really like the look of those sticks and don't want to stop wearing them, but I don't want to kill him! Sometimes I insert them from the bottom of my bun with the tips pointed at an upwards 45 degree angle; when the pointy part is near the top of my head, poking happens a lot less.

I have some patterned plastic sticks with a fat square tip that's just ever-so-slightly pointy, and those are much gentler...I've got no idea where they came from, though, as they were a present.

I've dreamed of buying a fork, but I'm too broke...

Natalia
September 26th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I've been eyeing these for months and months, my hair has ridiculous slip and I'm afraid it would just uncoil with these.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/109949707/hair-fork-now-in-titanium-the-moirai-the?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=titanium+hair+pins&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all

_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all (http://www.etsy.com/listing/110033693/crescent-hair-stick-mediterranean-olive?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=curved+hair+stick&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=ZZ&ga_min=0&ga_max=0&ga_search_type=all)

Just a note you can make something very similar for buckets cheaper. Here - http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj20/Perfect_Ana_Girl/Uploaded/Hair&#37;20Toys/upinedited.jpg

Just aluminum double pointed knitting needles bent around various objects. The thickest on the left is a 4, middle is a 1, and right is 000. I bought a set of 20 yesterday at micheals different sizes for under $10

ETA: These are my go to toy very secure :)

TeaEarlGreyHot
September 26th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Just a note you can make something very similar for buckets cheaper. Here - http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj20/Perfect_Ana_Girl/Uploaded/Hair%20Toys/upinedited.jpg

Just aluminum double pointed knitting needles bent around various objects. The thickest on the left is a 4, middle is a 1, and right is 000. I bought a set of 20 yesterday at micheals different sizes for under $10

ETA: These are my go to toy very secure :)

You are right, Natalia, I should try this! As soon as I get back from vacation I have to go get yarn for christmas presents anyway, I'll pick up more cheap double pointed needles. How hard are they to bend?! I have circular 5s around somewhere, I could weave one in, wrap the clear part and put the second one in. Haha, that would be a sight! How long are the double pointed needles that you buy?

Natalia
September 26th, 2012, 11:47 PM
You are right, Natalia, I should try this! As soon as I get back from vacation I have to go get yarn for christmas presents anyway, I'll pick up more cheap double pointed needles. How hard are they to bend?! I have circular 5s around somewhere, I could weave one in, wrap the clear part and put the second one in. Haha, that would be a sight! How long are the double pointed needles that you buy?

Welcome and that way if they dont work it wasnt a big loss. The size 4 was the toughest to bend but its very sturdy i think a 3 would be easier to bend and perfectly adaquate. I could do the 4 by hand and im not that strong. Id start with a smaller object like a lip balm tube and go up from there because if you use something big and try to make it smaller they get kinda pointy looking and dont hide in hair as well.

Cute idea with the circulars you can make a pretzel! Oh and all the double points ive found are the same length about 9 inches i think i will go measure the ones i havent bent yet later. You could make a super pin if you got the uber long double points for seater if you are so inclined :).