PDA

View Full Version : Weird hair problem

eros
September 25th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Sorry, I didn't know where else i could post this, so i hope its ok to make a new thread!

I have a weird hair thing and it's so discouraging. it made me cut from waist to chin about a year ago. and now,no matter how good i take care of my hair it looks like that. :( i feel like shaving myself bald/ cutting it all off!!!

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad32/adrianalima/hair001.jpg
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad32/adrianalima/lalalalaal.png
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad32/adrianalima/lalala.png
It's not like that near my scalp. Is it damage? but what kind of damage?! frizz? I don't chemically dye my hair, don't use any kind of heat on it, i do cold rinses/satin pillowcase/ diluted shampoo/ bla bla everything!

hellucy
September 25th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I don't think it looks like damage.... saying that I can't see really close up.... to me it looks like the ends sort of all flick out at different lengths/layers - my ends often do this I have layers made by thinning scissors.
Do you use any oils? Oil may help the ends to lay flat and smooth.

Celtic Morla
September 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Would you say you have very fine hair? Lighweight? It looks ot me like your ends are just popping out because they can! And since they are layered it is more obvious! I would try a little oil just try to get the ends. I think our thought of hair laying smooth as silk is because of too many commercials promoting it! I don;t care if I have flysways...its perectly normal!

If you cna try to get rid of th elayers it might make it easier to deal with. I hav eone side of my hair that tends to naturally curl under the other side fo my haed it flips!

eros
September 25th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I usually oil about 1 to 2 hours before washing my hair.
It's been about 3-4 years since I got layers,though. Don't get how it could happen now.
My ends are really healthy. and about 2 inches above my ends,too. but then near the middle that weird hair sticking out problem starts, then all the way to my scalp theres a couple of hairs sticking out as well, but not as bad as in the middle. I don't put my hair up everyday,either.

edit: Heck, i don't even know what my hairtype is anymore. I have a few coarse,normal, and fine hairs. I think it's just m. but I might be wrong.
my hair is a bit heavy. so i doubt its lightweight. also i had my layers cut yeaars ago! it can't still be there now,can it?

IzzyFlyy
September 25th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I think your hair just flips that way... its real pretty though! Maybe try oiling the ends a tiny bit after washing? That's what I would try :)

heyshortyhey
September 25th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Did you have a ton all over, or blunt layers? That's what you usually notice on people that had blunt layers but they start growing out. Doesn't look like damage to me. I would try oiling like others day. And it probably isn't that noticable unless you're in direct light.

eros
September 25th, 2012, 09:32 AM
haha I wish I had gotten blunt layers, would have looked nicer! I had it cut all over. Ugh. this was aaages ago though, and I've had so many cuts/trims since then. can't believe it's STILL not in one length! neeeeeeeeeeeever getting layers EVER again! So, am I supposed to wait for it to grow till they reach the end and trimming it off gradually?

Tota
September 25th, 2012, 09:32 AM
My hair looks like this if I comb, brush or even touch it too much while it's airdrying. It happened also when I blowdried it. My hair is wavy and fine.

jel
September 25th, 2012, 09:42 AM
To me, it looks like you're a wavy! Try to scrunch a moisturising leave-in and/or some coconut oil into your wet length and see if you don't end up with wurls.

I used to believe I had stick-straight hair, but now that it's long, I know better ;)

excentricat
September 25th, 2012, 09:46 AM
The hairs may just be different lengths because they grow at different rates and they're all on different schedules. Try not to let it worry you too much. Most of us have hairs of all lengths on our heads. I agree with some of the others though, you may have wavier hair than you think.

akilina
September 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9164&pictureid=119491

There is a link to one of my photos... I have the same exact thing (had). I think it is just from the very heavy textured layering. I don't have it anymore on parts of my hair that are not layered (like where my undercut is growing out)
I have F/M hair too.

Edit: Adding that my hair was probably the healthiest it has ever been in the last 4 years there.

Anje
September 25th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Mine has a tendency to do stuff like that. It can be damage, but I know that in my case, most of it is simply that there's a little more wave to the hairs when they start growing than there is once the follicle gets its act in gear, so baby ends tend to flip out more.

Lots of moisture and oiling helps. Also, it's not as obvious a day or two after washing than it is on freshly washed hair, so washing less frequently can be useful.

Be kind to your hair and make peace with it. Don't start heat styling to make the ends of the shorter growth stop doing this, or you'll end up with more as damage causes it to break off.

sharonluvscats
September 25th, 2012, 10:15 AM
This has been an interesting thread. I have layers and my hairs does this too. It's mostly on the underside though. I hate it!

eros
September 25th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I see..so it will grow out eventually,then? But then again if I cut it, i'll just be rid of it. but my ends and my hair above the ends are so healthy, it's just the middle..and it'll be so frustrating having to cut to chin again.
anyway, thanks everyone!

Petrichos
September 25th, 2012, 10:38 AM
My hair kind of does this. It did it really bad in highschool when I used a straightener, even though the ends weren't split. It's not so bad nowadays since I go with my natural texture. It might be what excentricat said about the hairs just growing at different lengths/schedules, at least that is the conclusion I came to a while back about mine. Also, less shampoo and more natural oils have helped.

DinaAG
September 25th, 2012, 12:23 PM
how do you style your hair? i see it as a styling problem causing that?

eros
September 25th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Hm? what do you mean by styling? I just comb my hair when its dry, maybe use a serum/oil and thats it. I could try and flat iron that area, but I think it'll only damage it more :(

lapushka
September 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Looks a bit static-y and fuzzy, nothing to worry about, IMO. Happens to everyone.

hufflepug
September 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't flat iron it, that would probably just make it dry out and behave even worse. My hair also looks that way if I touch it too much while it's still wet. Have you ever braiding or bunning your hair while it's damp and letting it dry that way? My hair is wavier than yours, but when I do that it makes my hair really smooth, and straighter than it would be otherwise., and I don't get those little fuzzies.

eros
September 25th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Ah thank you hufflepug! I'll try that. Though if I braid/bun my hair when it's wet, it takes aaaaages to dry! ahh and I think my hair might still be too short to braid. I'll still try it though!

jacqueline101
September 25th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I'd oil your hair and smooth it down with a bbb I don't mean brush it like skim over the flipped part. Smooth it down mine did that and that's what mine did. I have layers too.

Vrindi
September 25th, 2012, 04:22 PM
If the ends aren't split, I wouldn't worry. Mine does this. A lot of it is growing back after a major shed, so now I have little ends all over the place. When I keep it lightly oiled, it isn't noticable. Just be diligent with the S&D and they'll grow out. I like the suggestions that you might have wavier hair than you thought, and try to wear it wavy to see what happens. It looks shiny! Don't get discouraged.

hermosamendoza
September 25th, 2012, 04:34 PM
We have very similar hair! Wherever I have layer the hair sticks out all funky like that too.
I don't think it looks very damaged but you may have to try different oils when your hair is50 to 75% dry to tame them down .

jojo
September 25th, 2012, 08:30 PM
My hair does this too, it's not damage it's newer hair which is at shorter lengths that are just sticking out. Nobody's hair is completely one length due to hairs which shed and then new hairs growing in there place. I have fine hair so they look obvious on my hair too as there's no weight in those short hairs. Don't worry it's totally natural and nothing to worry about.

eros
September 25th, 2012, 11:44 PM
ook, thanks everyone. :) it does make sense, i also had a huge shed a while ago.
i'm scared of using a BBB,though. the bristles seem so harsh.

nakima
September 26th, 2012, 12:27 PM
my hair does this to, I dont have layers in my hair but I did have a very bad fall out from stress a few years ago so I chalked it up as new hair? hope i'm right :) it bothers me to so I put a little oil on my hair after its dry to help calm them down a bit. hope this helps.

Audhumla
September 27th, 2012, 02:29 AM
This looks like a hairdresser has given you a bunch of layers while your hair was straighter and then when your hair has gone back to its natural not pin-straight texture it's done that.
I used to get this and ever since I forbid hairdressers from thinning or layering my hair it's gone away on the new hair that's grown through.

Mesmerise
September 28th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Looks like mine... random bits that don't want to sit nice and flat and blend in... ;). Try a bit of mineral oil on your hair when it's damp (a teeeny bit rubbed into your hands first). I find it helps a bit.