PDA

View Full Version : My hair's grown 2" in one month!?

anna1850
August 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I measured my hair after straightening with wrapping about a month ago and it was 33", just at waist, today I measured it and I keep getting 35"!

Here's a picture (my hair's not looking as good as I'd like and there's some shadows that make it look like I've got fairytale ends but it definitely does look longer than waist to me)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1583&pictureid=18667

So I'm just a bit puzzled as to why it seems to have grown so fast. I stopped taking my vitamins regularly when I was at university but I've started taking them again so I don't know if it's that. Or it could be that my hair is just straighter than normal so it seems longer than it was a month ago.

I'd normally say I mis-measured but it definitely wasn't longer than waist last month and definitely is now. Now I think I'm less than an inch away from the very top of my hip bones and TB starts halfway between the big vertical flowers on my skirt so it doesn't seem that far. I don't think I'm leaning my head back more than normal. I just can't explain it, but I'm very happy :)

xrosiex
August 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Thats great growth! And your hair is really pretty. Congradulations:cheese:

sweetlidlred
August 10th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I am so happy for you, a good month for me is 1/2".

anna1850
August 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Thats great growth! And your hair is really pretty. Congradulations:cheese:
Thank you :) I wish I had your colour though!

I am so happy for you, a good month for me is 1/2".

I always only get 1/2", that's why I'm so surprised. Although that's when I measure it curly, so I assume that it must grow faster than 1/2" really as the curl eats up some of the length, but 2" is crazy!

RavennaNight
August 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Congratulations! That's amazing growth :happydance::happydance::happydance:

spidermom
August 10th, 2008, 03:49 PM
A growth spurt; how fabulous! I thought I did good getting 1 inch in the past 3 weeks, but you got me beat. Congratulations!

Fee
August 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
that's great and it is possible I had such a growth spurt last summer, congrats and your hair is wonderful

cuddledumplin
August 10th, 2008, 03:54 PM
That's great growth. You have beautiful hair.

Saranne772
August 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Wow thats fantastic! Congrats! :)

Honey39
August 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Maybe it's because it's the summer? My hair grows a LOT faster at this time of year (and a LOT slower in the winter, lol!).

But your hair is very pretty, I like the way that it ripples down your back and looks so healthy!

Angellen
August 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Oh, wow. Congrats on fabulous growth! That picture looks great, too. Your hair looks so soft and lovely. :)

manderly
August 10th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Wow, your hair is looking lovely!

Can you explain how to wrap your hair? I've seen the youtube video with the african american woman and tried it myself, but my caucasion hair was really slippery and kept sliding up my head making a cone instead of staying put. How'd you do it?

anna1850
August 10th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Everyone here is so nice. Thanks for all the lovely comments. I wasn't fishing for compliments, I promise :o

Wow, your hair is looking lovely!

Can you explain how to wrap your hair? I've seen the youtube video with the african american woman and tried it myself, but my caucasion hair was really slippery and kept sliding up my head making a cone instead of staying put. How'd you do it?

I read something that was posted on the old board which suggested doing it in 4 sections (I've been looking for the link but I can't find it!!) although I've started doing it in just 2 sections now.

My hair isn't too wavy near the top so what I do is seperate it into 2 halves (like I'm going to put it into pigtails) and cross them over at the back. I spritz them with my mister (a mix of water, aloe vera gel and EOs for smell. I then take each half and wrap it across the top of the head (like a crown braid) and pin it using loads of pins. I think I saw the video you saw where she just seems to wrap it all in one direction, I tried that and it didn't work.

I was thinking someone should post an article on it. I'm still perfecting the technique but I might do it if no one else does.

I'm just about to do it again now. I'll see if I can get some pics.

Shanarana
August 10th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Wow, that sure is amazing....congrats, you must be so thrilled. Your hair looks very pretty. :)

anna1850
August 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I just realised if I got 2" per month every month I'd be at classic by next Summer. Oh well, I can dream.

Here are some quick photos of how to straighten your hair. Sorry, they are a bit rubbish quality. A lot of them I needed one hand in the photo so I had to hold the camera with the other one and they're a bit blurry. If I write a proper article I'll get nicer ones but these should OK for the moment.

My only tips are
1. don't do it on thoroughly wet hair, just damp or it won't dry completely.
2. you'll need loads of bobby pins. I need about 30-40 to do my whole head. Don't do what I did originally and use about 8 klik-klaks, have the hairdo fall apart in the middle of the night and think that the method doesn't work.
3. make sure you don't wrap too tight or it could be painful to sleep on.

I'm still experimenting with this a bit. I'm not doing it very neatly at the moment and I don't know if making it more neatly pinned would make it straighter or if the fact that my hair is curly is always going to make completely straight hair a problem. Or maybe I should use a setting lotion of some kind. I don't know, but I intend to find out :)

Step 1. Part hair
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff184/anna2239/1PartHair.jpg

Step 2. Cross one section of hair over other
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff184/anna2239/2CrossSections.jpg

Step 3. Dampen hair and wrap the section which is on top of the other section where they were crossed, around head, near to the forehead
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff184/anna2239/3WrapWetRoundHeada.jpg

Step 4. Pin with lots of pins.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff184/anna2239/4PinSection1.jpg

Step 5. Wrap other section in opposite direction and lay it behind the pinned section. If it's on top your hair might not dry.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff184/anna2239/5WrapOtherSection.jpg

Step 6. Pin this section. Sleep for 8 hours. The end :)
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff184/anna2239/6PinFinished.jpg

DotDotDot
August 10th, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'm assuming your hands are on your waist, and if they are, then your hair is quite a bit longer than waist! Congrats!

Cantabile
August 10th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Congratulations on the growth! But do you think it could be due to the lengthening effect of the wrapping? Curly/wavy hair tends to get longer when you stretch out the curls/waves. :shrug: Just a thought :p

DecafJane
August 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Congratulations! I just went and took a multivitamin. :p

anna1850
August 10th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Congratulations on the growth! But do you think it could be due to the lengthening effect of the wrapping? Curly/wavy hair tends to get longer when you stretch out the curls/waves. :shrug: Just a thought :p

Well, I'm comparing it wrapped straight this month at 35" to wrapped straight last month at 33" so I think it's a fair comparison.

Curly, it's stilly above waist, I need to measure it again but I wouldn't say it's longer than 32" curly. But comparing it straightened this month and last month it seems to have grown a lot.

Although, I do think it's a possibility that I've just got better at straightening it. Or maybe it is the famed summer growth spurt, or maybe my blood pressure's gone down after finishing university, or maybe the vitamins... I don't know. But it's really long now! :)

beyondcute
August 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM
I seem to have more growth in the summer as well but certainly not 2 inches a month! Congrats!

Cantabile
August 10th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Well, I'm comparing it wrapped straight this month at 35" to wrapped straight last month at 33" so I think it's a fair comparison.

Curly, it's stilly above waist, I need to measure it again but I wouldn't say it's longer than 32" curly. But comparing it straightened this month and last month it seems to have grown a lot.

Although, I do think it's a possibility that I've just got better at straightening it. Or maybe it is the famed summer growth spurt, or maybe my blood pressure's gone down after finishing university, or maybe the vitamins... I don't know. But it's really long now! :)

Thanks for the clarification, I read your post, but somehow managed to skim over that :doh: Who knows though, growth is still growth! :cheese: :flower:

plainjanegirl
August 11th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I am gonna try that straightening method...hey even if it doesn't work at least my hair would be protected while sleeping right. 2 inches of growth in a month is great! What type of vitamin are you taking? Keep us posted on what you get next month.

sahiba
August 11th, 2008, 12:41 AM
That is some growth.:thumbsup: . Congrats.

manderly
August 12th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your wrapping!!

I think I have a harder time because my hair is shorter than your but I'll definitely give it a try!!

It makes more sense than the original youtube version. :D

podo
August 12th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Oh wow! That's quite impressive!

I need to start taking monthly pictures so I can track growth! I can't wait to be as long as yours!

pariate
August 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Congratulations on your fabulous growth! What a lovely surprise for you :D

That's a very pretty skirt too :hmm: *thinks* Where can I find one?!

LadyLongLocks
August 13th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Amazing! I need to take my vitamins and hope it will help. Congratulations on your 2" growth and hope it continues!

ruby_tuesday
August 13th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Beautiful hair!! Congrats! :)

jojo
August 14th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Definitely well past waist, your hair is beautiful, please pass some of your magic hair growth powers my way!

anna1850
August 15th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the comments again guys :) I'm sending out good growing growing vibes to you all.

Thanks for sharing your wrapping!!

I think I have a harder time because my hair is shorter than your but I'll definitely give it a try!!

It makes more sense than the original youtube version. :D

Yeah, I think it might be easier with longer hair, although with super long hair it could become more difficult as you'd need to make sure the hair isn't wrapped around on top of itself or it won't dry. It can be a bit annoying at times, particularly as the hair that was crossed underneath is easy to pin but the hair that goes over has nothing to anchor it so it's hard to get it to wrap properly. I'm thinking of trying straightening with rollers sometime too (if I can find some massive magnetic ones) as a comparison but this is quite good in that you can sleep on it.

That's a very pretty skirt too :hmm: *thinks* Where can I find one?!

The skirt's from Hobbs. They do lovely linen skirts, I rarely wear anything else. I got that one 2nd hand on ebay for about £7. I highly reccomend them :)