PDA

View Full Version : Stylist Appreciation Thread

Iolanthe13
September 24th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I've noticed that there's a certain amount of stylist bashing on this forum, as well as some success stories. I thought it would be nice to make a thread for people's good salon experiences. This could also serve as a resource for finding LHC-friendly stylists :) So if you've had a good experience, post your location and the name of the salon/stylist!

(Unfortunately I'm a poor student and cut my own hair, so I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations myself.)

Hollyfire3
September 24th, 2012, 03:33 PM
This is a great idea! I hop this thread becomes huge! there are so many great stylists on here that need to be appreciated!:) I have nothing to add, sorry, but much love to LHC stylits!

hermosamendoza
September 24th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I always thought about becoming a stylist for a long hair care salong but doing hair isn't my passion so it wouldn't be worth my $60k to get a liscense! But I appreciate the LHC stylists! i wish we had more

indiana
September 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I had a great stylist here in Northern Indiana. She researched product for me before my appointment. For the trim, she took off exactly the amount I asked for. PM me if you are ever in this part of the US! :)

akilina
September 24th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I always thought about becoming a stylist for a long hair care salong but doing hair isn't my passion so it wouldn't be worth my $60k to get a liscense! But I appreciate the LHC stylists! i wish we had more
Wow-wee!!! 60k?? What kind of school is this?
Damn. Mine cost $21,000. Getting the license+testing costs...$125 in NV.
California $110. Retest $75.

I love long hair <3 I wish there were more people in my area on this Forum. I know there is probably NO ONE who lives in my town on this site either. I have found a few that live an hour away..and 2 hours away, but that is just too far.
I so wish I could be one of the LHC's stylists. Everyone would be so happy :) I wish I could work in a salon that really specializes on long hair, Like the GM salon. I do not believe there is anything like that here though. Closest is in the bay area..and I will NEVER, ever...live in the bay area.

On the other hand..I have never had a bad experience in a salon. I set myself up to never have one though..I always wanted a new cut, so I anticipated it no matter how much was cut off. I also have never tried to really grow my hair out. I am also blessed that every stylist I have ever gone to was AMAZING! I am so sad..my guy here moved away to NY. All the way across the whole damn country.

akilina
September 24th, 2012, 04:03 PM
This is a great idea! I hop this thread becomes huge! there are so many great stylists on here that need to be appreciated!:) I have nothing to add, sorry, but much love to LHC stylits!
I also think this is a cool idea :) I hope it gets lots of love and attention too.
Every time I see a happy stylist or successful haircut thread it never ever gets as much love as the bashing ones do though :(
Sad fact may be that many have never had a good time in a salon.

Caldonia Sun
September 24th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I have a great stylist. She never trims more than I ask and is very supportive of me having long hair. I often go in and say I don't know what I want and she gently tells me to do nothing more than a trim so I won't be sorry.

jacqueline101
September 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM
My stylist did a good job two out of three. Maybe it was a misunderstanding. I'm going back next spring.

PetuniaBlossom
September 24th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I had a wonderful stylist when I lived in Texas. She was supportive of my wish to grow out long hair, told me the truth about bangs (fringe) thus saving me from a bad mistake for my particular face. She never tried to sell me product. She was awesome.
If you ever find yourself in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, PM me and I'll give you her location.
Oh, Christina, I miss you!

spidermom
September 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM
My stylist is pretty good. She's my DD's best friend so I really have no choice. Nah......... that's not true. But I do like to support my daughter, and going to the stylist is something we do together. No complaints.

battles
September 24th, 2012, 06:33 PM
My stylist is awesome. She is totally supportive of me growing my hair, and actually took off less than I was expecting last time. She talked me out of using dye and told me that my blonette hair is really pretty.

I brought in my tangle teezer and a hairfork to show her and she used my tangle teezer to detangle my hair. :)

Loviatar
September 25th, 2012, 06:24 AM
My stylist, David, is brilliant. He lets me use my own combs and comb myself out when wet. He lets me have my bleach done with coconut oil all over my hair, I mean almost dripping with oil. He is super supportive of my 'wacky hair habits' and colour changes too, and always asks whether I want sulphates or cones or what at the backwash. He doesn't charge me for a full 'cut n blowdry' because I never have the blowdry part. He also understands about BAQ henna and non-BAQ henna, and has got me to tell his staff about henna and what it does to the hair. He's also very friendly and funny :)

Iolanthe13
September 25th, 2012, 08:14 AM
My stylist, David, is brilliant. He lets me use my own combs and comb myself out when wet. He lets me have my bleach done with coconut oil all over my hair, I mean almost dripping with oil. He is super supportive of my 'wacky hair habits' and colour changes too, and always asks whether I want sulphates or cones or what at the backwash. He doesn't charge me for a full 'cut n blowdry' because I never have the blowdry part. He also understands about BAQ henna and non-BAQ henna, and has got me to tell his staff about henna and what it does to the hair. He's also very friendly and funny :)

Gosh, I don't suppose you're anywhere near Cambridge/London are you? That sounds worth a try...

MinderMutsig
September 25th, 2012, 09:07 AM
I don't go to stylists anymore but I used to have one that was worth my weight in gold. (What can I say; she was very petite and I'm... not. :o)

She still used some old school cutting methods like the strand twist thing to trim damaged ends throughout the entire length. You didn't go to her for the latest fashionable new funky cuts but for good quality haircare. She cuts people's hair in her own home in the kitchen. My grandma was a client of hers and that's how my mom got to know her.

I have very fond memories of sitting at this ladies kitchen table waiting my turn while she was putting a poodle perm on some old lady or chatting with her while she was cutting my hair. That kitchen table is also the place where I first learned that if you perm afro hair it turns straight. The hairstylist didn't want to do it at first but this black lady assured her it would be fine. She had loads of fun watching both mine and the hairstylists reaction to her hair once the perm was washed out. It was like magic! (We're talking 20-25 years ago in The Netherlands. Black salons were nowhere to be found.)

I'm not sure if she's still in business, I'll have to ask my mom. I've been thinking about getting a professional trim once I reach waist and it would be marvelous if she could do it because I trust her completely.

I haven't been able to find a hairstylist I was completely happy with since moving here. Mostly because I was probably expecting too much as my hair was just at an awkward length and no amount of skill on the hairstylists side would have made that better but still... Ever since I learned how to I have trimmed my own hair so I haven't needed one in a long time. Besides, hairstylists who still do the twisty thing are hard to come by. They don't know how to, it takes so much time that they wont do it, or it's just too expensive.

afu
September 25th, 2012, 09:12 AM
If anyone is the the North West of the UK and wants a recommendation I went to a new salon today and was very happy with it, they didn't question my coconut oiled hair or me wanting to leave with soggy hair and they also used a tangle teezer to brush my hair out after washing - i had brought mine along to use but it seems TT are standard practice there.

EndlessSunshine
September 25th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I have had great success at the local Wal Mart here. Just trims enough off and just conditions my hair. Very nice ladies for fun convo too. Before this I had a lady who had cut my hair since I was five, she also fixed my hair after I had donated it and the stylist had hacked it all off without giving me any style.

akilina
September 25th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I have had great success at the local Wal Mart here. Just trims enough off and just conditions my hair. Very nice ladies for fun convo too. Before this I had a lady who had cut my hair since I was five, she also fixed my hair after I had donated it and the stylist had hacked it all off without giving me any style.
I wanted to add here that chain salons like this are not always bad. Like Great clips (worked there), Super cuts, smart styles, fantastic sams...You get the idea.

YES, you will run into some very funky people sometimes and have a bad experience(happens everywhere) but the thing about the chain salons (I can only really speak for GC) is that they put you thru special training.
They also absolutely drill a great consultation into your head and do monthly quality checks. It was really annoying but I will always take that consultation technique with me. It is very very fail proof, and usually the cut only goes wrong when you do not have a good understanding with eachother or a great consultation.

Randomly, I will also add that I will never work for the corporate world ever ever ever again. Luckily I dont have to with this profession.
I will never work for a corporate chain salon ever again either.

That is awesome that you were brave enough to go to one...and surprise surprise, You came out really happy :cheese:

itdontmatter48
September 25th, 2012, 11:06 AM
back in the 80's I had really long hair, but my babies were getting it tangled in their fingers, so I went for a cut. He cut it all off, and I loved it. Maintained that until about 5 years ago. That's how much I liked it. But, than I started to grow it out, and did go for a style while it was growing, and, my mistake, I went to someone else. Had a terrible experience to say the least. Been growing ever since, but not because of that. My BF wanted the long hair, now I do too. All in all, my experiences with hair dressers has been a positive one!

Ashlbee
September 26th, 2012, 12:39 AM
I went in for a trim and to get platinum highlights on my virgin, blonde hair thinking it would brighten it up (this was pre LHC). I wanted the highlights to match my clip in extensions that I wore every so often for special occasions (I know, I know, so many bad ideas at once.) I mentioned I wanted to grow out my hair. The stylist had hair down to almost her knees and told me my virgin hair was beautiful, the highlights would wash me out, and to dye the clip in extensions to match my natural hair instead to prevent damage and maintenance.

I ended up just getting the trim which was a lot less expensive. She gave up a good chunk of money to look out for me. Now, I am so thankful because I love my virgin hair and if not for her, would be growing out bleach damage. So thank you wonderful stylist!!

melusine963
September 26th, 2012, 01:28 AM
I had a lovely stylist where I used to live. He was very encouraging of me growing my hair, and never trimmed off more than I asked. Then I moved and it became too far a hike to keep seeing him. :(

noelgirl
September 26th, 2012, 06:39 AM
I just found a treasure - just went to see him a second time, and waited until now to sing his praises because I wanted to know that the first time wasn't a fluke :p Both times he actually cut less than I asked, and he knows a lot about hair health, not just trends. He did blow it dry, but he asked first and I let him because I so rarely do so myself. And they give you free wine :D

Shield31
September 26th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I can give a "thumbs up" to Marla Johnston at Rockin' Stylists in Phillipsburg, New Jersey. I had stopped in my local Sally's looking for better ponytail holders and asked the woman (who had beautiful long hair herself) where she went for trims and other services. She gave me Marla's card and I followed up with a visit. Marla took a look at my hair and actually trimmed off less than I was expecting. I came away feeling very comfortable with her and have been back for more trims to even up my ends. My hair has never looked and felt better to me. :)