PDA

View Full Version : Does High Blood pressure med. effect hair?

Fairlight63
September 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I just got back from the doc. & my blood pressure was pretty high so he prescribed the high blood pressure med. of Metoprolol Tartrate 25Mg tab. 2x a day.

I was wondering if any one has taken it here & did it effect your hair badly? My hair is already really thin & fine & I hope that I don't lose any more than I do already.:( If it did effect your hair badly is there anything (vit. or something) that I could take that would help to me not shed more hair?

Thank you!!!

dragonfly90
September 24th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I have heard that medications to lower blood pressure actually help hair grow faster. My grandma takes the same med and her hair seems to have grown a lot.

Miss Catrina
September 24th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I don't know. My dad is on Lisinopril and he doesn't seem to have any problems. His hair has always been coarse and thick and it doesn't seem to ever get thinner. It just gets wavier as he ages.

I wouldn't worry about it.

berr
September 24th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Hubby is on it. He's bald. He was bald before taking it.

MinderMutsig
September 25th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Well DH takes it and the pharmacist warned him that he might experience cold hands and feet because his system needs to adjust to the meds but that this would return to normal after a week or two.

Cold hands and feet tells me that circulation initially diminishes which I guess could have an impact on your hair follicles and growth; i.e. you might shed more or experience a stall during the first few weeks. However if that normalizes for hands and feet then I assume the same goes for hair.

If you are really worried I recommend talking to your pharmacist.

KwaveT
September 25th, 2012, 08:17 AM
That is a beta blocker. So yes it will increase shedding/hair loss depending on how it affects you. This is why my mother's hair is thinning on top because of the beta blocker she is on. For a list look at this thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73300