PDA

View Full Version : Can't seem to have it all...

HintOfMint
September 24th, 2012, 12:41 AM
My hair is a big mound of fluff when it is freshly washed and takes a few days to calm down. However, by the time my ends stop being fluffy and calm down into smooth ends, my roots are disgustingly greasy.

Normally, I would think about a dry shampoo, but I would really like to have hair that my SO can bury his nose in without snorting sebum and dead skin cells. That scented stuff and cocoa powder makes it look fine but it's not exactly touchable and up close, I'm sure the smell of sebum with perfume is non too savory.

I would really like to have freshly washed or at least day-old hair that has nice ends and smells nice.

I habitually damp bun with a leave-in or oil, but it's really hit or miss.

Anybody have the same problem? Anyone have a solution?

Sarahlabyrinth
September 24th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Haha, join the club... Scalp washes can help though. You get the scalp nice and clean again and ends still behaving. Have you tried it?

DinaAG
September 24th, 2012, 06:56 AM
clean the scalp while putting a conditioner on your length so that shampoo wont affect it

Ambystoma
September 24th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Ha ha - I knew you were a fellow wavy as soon as I read the first sentence :beerchug:

I put mineral oil onto the ends and then gradually work upwards on dry hair. Back when I used (expensive) 'cone serums and now with MO I find that on damp hair it either is too little and does nothing but 1/4 of a drop more and bam! greasy unwashed look but on dry hair it works great. I still like a 'coney condish though for taming the wild puff :D

edit: sock curls work well for me too, it comes out sleeker yet still bouncy. I spritz the sections with a little scented water/herb tea and roll them like rag curls. It helps press the frizz down a bit too.

Madora
September 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM
My hair is a big mound of fluff when it is freshly washed and takes a few days to calm down. However, by the time my ends stop being fluffy and calm down into smooth ends, my roots are disgustingly greasy.

Normally, I would think about a dry shampoo, but I would really like to have hair that my SO can bury his nose in without snorting sebum and dead skin cells. That scented stuff and cocoa powder makes it look fine but it's not exactly touchable and up close, I'm sure the smell of sebum with perfume is non too savory.

I would really like to have freshly washed or at least day-old hair that has nice ends and smells nice.

I habitually damp bun with a leave-in or oil, but it's really hit or miss.

Anybody have the same problem? Anyone have a solution?

Perhaps what you are using is too heavy. Have you tried diluting your shampoo and conditioner? Are you sure you are rinsing out enough?

As for the fluffy hair problem, you might try a drop or two of mineral oil on damp hair. However, don't just apply it directly to your hair. Apply the drops to your palms, then run your palms through your hair several times.

More about MO here:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

spidermom
September 24th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I find that not touching my hair at all while it dries calms the fluffy stuff, also bunning for awhile - but I have to wait until it's pretty much dry or it won't get dry.

Oh, and gel rubbed between palms, then down the surface while my hair is damp, finger-combed through the ends.

Theobroma
September 24th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I had the exact same problem with shampoo, because even with applying conditioner afterwards it would dry out my hair enough to be unmanageable for at least the first two post-wash days.

With hair soap (I don't use an actual shampoo bar) the problem pretty much goes away. A vinegar rinse after lathering and EVOO as leave-in conditioner, and my hair is smoother and softer from day one without being weighed down.

Mindy
September 24th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I had the same problem for the longest time. Washing only the scalp with conditioner on the ends has helped me a lot. Also damp bunning and brushing with a BBB to distribute natural oils down to my ends both help tame frizzies for me.

Tia2010
September 24th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I know the feeling :)

I use some light oils on the ends ( and smooth just a little over the rest) and do a caterpillar pony tail (<-- I think that's that name of it) down the length of my band until my hair is dry. That really keeps my frizz poof down. Of course, it does give a set wave, but I would rather have that than my frizzy poof. :)

spidermom
September 24th, 2012, 09:59 AM
For sure! I do the caterpillar ponytail for at least half an hour or so after blow-drying, and my hair comes out really smooth and shiny. Otherwise blow-drying (on cool) leaves my hair kind of frizzy.

dulce
September 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM
For me,I found switching from a detergent style shampoo to Deva curl no poo cleanser and their leave in conditioner[blot excess off]really helped tame the post shampoo pouf common with wavy or curly hair!I like Spidermom's caterpillar pony too,sometimes I do a lazywrap bun[no elastic,using a beak clip] instead of the caterpillar pony for maybe 20 minutes after it's dry.

Avital88
September 24th, 2012, 11:02 AM
this stopped for me when i went sls free, i dont know if you already do that but that changed a lot for my hair i dont even need anymore oil in my hair, and its even bleached..

lapushka
September 24th, 2012, 11:18 AM
My hair does that too, but it isn't as fluffy ever since my frizz gets tamed with a leave-in, then a gel, and then a serum on the very ends (or a few drops of baby/mineral oil). I think maybe using an oil before shampooing, or even using an oil with your shampoo or conditioner might make it so moist that it gets smoother. You'd have to experiment, because there's a point at which it gets greasy instead of moisturized.