PDA

View Full Version : opinions on this brush?

bunnylake
September 23rd, 2012, 09:03 PM
Healthy Hair Eco-Friendly Bamboo Ionic Massage Large Oval Brush

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod4320091

Do you think this will damage hair? It sounds really nice as long as it's used on detangled hair, but I have no experience with any kind of brush other than BBB.

Miss Catrina
September 23rd, 2012, 09:27 PM
Oh! I've been wanting one. :) I think it would be just fine. No capped bristle tips to worry about, and wood distributes sebum, too.

Madora
September 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
Do not think it is hair friendly because it has knobs on the end. Zoom in on the picture and you will see what I mean.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 24th, 2012, 01:18 AM
Yes, I see, much better not to have the knobs on the bristles. They can catch and pull the hair.

Miss Catrina
September 24th, 2012, 01:25 AM
I thought the knobs were part of how each bristle was shaped, though, not a separate piece attached to the bristle... really hard to tell in the picture. If they're just filed and sanded that way, it should be fine.

Roscata
September 24th, 2012, 02:42 AM
The brush looks ok, but I wouldn't use it to detangle. I sometimes (read three times in the past 2 years) use a brush like that to massage my scalp, but I use it after I detangle my hair with a wide tooth comb. Also, as a your hair twin bunnylake and fellow wavy I would like to warn you that using a brush may give you big hair, like frizzy hair. I think that if you really want to try it you ought to do so and if you hear your hairs breaking while using it, or feel individual hairs being pulled or something similar then just return it.

Good luck! :)

ETA: If you want a safer option maybe you could consider the Tangle Teaser.

lapushka
September 24th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't get it either, because of the ball ends. Your hair can catch on those, and it can make the hair harder rather than easier to detangle.

Tota
September 24th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I had one like this and I really didn't like it. It pulled my hair, was too hard on my scalp and was was very hard to clean. I tossed it and bought a TT. Best decision ever.

eros
September 24th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Don't all brushes have ball ends? Except boar bristle brushes, but those look so harsh to brush your hair with.

beautifulending
September 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I had that brush for about 2-3 months, every time I brushed it would pull at my hair and hurt. I tossed it in the trash and got myself a tangle teezer.:)

akilina
September 24th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I am on the side that actually likes brushes with balls. (yeah I know that sounds very,very bad. :D)
I had a paddle brush for probably 7 years. I still have it..I just got a TT though a few months back and like it a lot too. I think that ball brushes are pretty acceptable if the hair is detangled before hand from ends to roots.

Over those years, I never had breakage or damage from my brush. I did have it for other reasons though. I still use it from time to time and I am happy with it still.
You could get it, and if its not good you could re-sell it on the swap board possibly, or give it to a friend or family member.

I actually saw the same kind of brush at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and really wanted to get one.

Thinthondiel
September 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Don't all brushes have ball ends? Except boar bristle brushes, but those look so harsh to brush your hair with.

Bodyshop has (or used to have, at least) bamboo brushes without ball ends. I have one, and I quite like it. :)

Madora
September 24th, 2012, 04:29 PM

Boar bristle brushes have been used for centuries. There are not harsh on your hair. It is a question of how you use the brush, and the brush itself (not all bbbs are created equal). BBBs are not meant for very curly hair.

hermosamendoza
September 24th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Well if you have an Ulta store nearby you can buy the brush, try it out and return it for a full refund if you don't like it. Just make sure you keep the tags and receipt if you want a money refund and not store credit

Thinthondiel
September 24th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Boar bristle brushes have been used for centuries. There are not harsh on your hair. It is a question of how you use the brush, and the brush itself (not all bbbs are created equal). BBBs are not meant for very curly hair.

I agree that they're not harsh on your hair. In fact, even though many LHC-ers recommend not using them for detangling, I find that it feels like they detangle my hair much more gently than any other brush or comb, including Tangle Teezers. BBBs are the only brushes that won't snag or pull on my hair if there are knots. The only reason I don't use them anymore is that I can't be bothered to clean them all the time.

LadyLongLocks
September 24th, 2012, 07:15 PM
That looks similar to the brushes I used 10 years ago. I was told that the balls at the end ripped the hair. I quit and went to wide tooth combs and later only boar bristle brushes.
I don't think I would recommend this brush at all, although it looks interesting.

lunalocks
September 26th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I use a BASS bamboo toothed brush and love it, but there are no knobs on the ends. No pulling and it feels wonderful on my scalp. I only brush after combing with a wide tooth comb.

Vrindi
September 26th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I have one just like this. I love it. The "knobs" are part of each "bristle," not a separate plastic bit stuck on the end, so they don't rip out hair. They're more for massaging the scalp. Just be gentle when brushing, like you should be anyway. I use it after I've detangled with my bamboo comb.

PeacenQuietGal
September 26th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I have this brush, and I find that my hair catches not on the ball tips, but rather at the base of the bristles between the bristle and the rubber cushion. I don't like this brush for that reason, however I kept it because I thought it was beautiful. Yet I consider it "my brush of last resort", and only use it when I can't find a TT.