PDA

View Full Version : Honey recommendations anyone?

moop
September 23rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
Howdy all.

This discussion board is a great resource, thank you for allowing me to join.

I was researching manuka honey and found this in the FAQ on honeynz.com:

What is the difference between ‘UMF’ & ‘Active’ Manuka Honey?

Not all Manuka honey has UMF (Non peroxide) activity and we differentiate this by using the names UMF Manuka and Active Manuka Honey.

UMF Manuka Honey guarantees a Non Peroxide activity . This in turn is measured against a standard Phenol (antiseptic/anti bacterial) solution to gauge the relative strength of the Non Peroxide activity against Phenol. So, UMF 20+ guarantees antibacterial Non Peroxide Activity (UMF) level of 20+.

For example, Honey New Zealand's Active 20+ honey guarantees honey's total antibacterial activity level of 20+. This Total Activity is mostly from the Hydrogen Peroxide activity of honey (as opposed to the Non Peroxide Activity of UMF Honey).

Both Total (Active) and Non Peroxide (UMF) activities are tested by certified independent lab in New Zealand.

UMF is more stable over time, does not break down with heat, light or body enzymes and may even grow in strength over time.

In light of this information, is Active honey what I should order for honey lightening since it is "active" or is the UMF non peroxide better for the task? I'm unclear what "non peroxide activity" means - does it have peroxide in higher content that can is activated when the honey is used?

Does anyone have experience using manuka honey? If so, which brand and type, active or UMF? What level (10+, 15+, etc.)? What was your outcome? How many treatments did it take? Did you use ingredients other than honey and distilled water?

Has anyone used the Wedderspoon raw beechwood honey?

I plan to use only honey and dist. water so if anyone has advice it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

btw, my hair is: 1c/2a F i
naturally medium brown with about 20% white and is mostly colored a light reddish brown/dark blonde that's growing out (damaged from conventional dye last used about 6 months ago). It's short - just below shoulders but not for lack of trying. It's fine, thinning (I'm 50) and looks scraggly when too long. It's also unevenly wavy and frizzy at top. ugh.

The objective is to lighten the brown a few shades then use a henna/cassia mix to color it for a light brown/dark blonde that's either a little coppery or a darker strawberry blonde....depending on what tone is left after honey lightening.

Sorry if tmi. Thanks again! :pumpkin:

one other thing- what does the abbreviation DT mean? Couldn't find it in the abbv. list.

rock007junkie
September 23rd, 2012, 10:01 PM
DT means Deep treatment. Something you'd leave in your hair for an extended amount of time.

moop
September 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Hi rock007junkie,

Thanks for the info, now it makes sense.

moop
September 24th, 2012, 07:44 AM
In the first post I forgot to mention trying TJ's clover blossom honey without any result. It was only one treatment but...nothing. Did the baking soda pre-wash to clarify hair.

Does anyone know if jarrah honey can be purchased through U.S. retailers? The shipping is so expensive from Australia and the U.K.

Thank you.

Anje
September 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM
UMF is non-peroxide-based antimicrobial activity. This is relevant if you're applying the honey to wounds, but I don't think it'll make any difference with lightening hair. It's the peroxide itself contained in the honey that works for that.

If I were you, I'd get whatever cheap un-pasteurized or raw honey I could find. Honey lightening seems to take quite a few treatments at best, so you'll be going through a bit. There's no sense in getting the really good stuff for a dozen hair treatments. I can't imagine your hair can taste the difference.

jillosity
September 24th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Manuka honey is what is considered a "medicinal" honey, meaning people use it for health reasons, it's usually quite expensive. It's not really suitable for hair lightening, not just due to the expense. It will take a lot of treatments to see any real lightening, I did 3 in an attempt to lighten henndigo and saw really no effect. I did however have a massive shed each time, which personally would have negated the benefit of any lightening if it had happened. I'm not sure how many applications you'd need for medium brown hair, but possibly quite a few.

Raw honey will have a certain amount of beeswax in it, and I'm not sure how it might aid/hinder the lightening effect. The honey thread is a monster, but I know somewhere in it there's a list of honeys people used.

Good luck!

Iolanthe13
September 24th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I see a difference between manuka honey and the cheap stuff when I wash my face with honey (less acne with the expensive stuff), but unless you have some sort of scalp infection I don't see any reason to use manuka honey on hair.