PDA

View Full Version : Blow drying/straightening once a month...

RubyTuesday
September 23rd, 2012, 04:53 PM
Quick question:

If you blow dried and/or straightened your hair once (twice max) a month, what kind of damage would you be doing to it and is it something that you could minimise with treatments/leave in conditioners.

Having not used any heat on my hair for the last 3 and a half months I am a little apprehensive about using heat, however infrequently. Does minimal heat cause lasting damage that cannot be rectified or is damage from heat styling something that can be monitored and held at bay?

I have a few occasions coming up over the next four months that I need to look decent/foxy for and cannot see how this is going to happen without a hair dryer or some straighteners.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2012, 05:05 PM
If you blow dried and/or straightened your hair once (twice max) a month, what kind of damage would you be doing to it and is it something that you could minimise with treatments/leave in conditioners.

Having not used any heat on my hair for the last 3 and a half months I am a little apprehensive about using heat, however infrequently. Does minimal heat cause lasting damage that cannot be rectified or is damage from heat styling something that can be monitored and held at bay?

I think a blow dryer on a low setting will not cause many problems. I have past hip length hair and it's been blow dried every week. No damage whatsoever. No white dots, not even split ends (maybe 3 so far in all the time it's been growing). The thing you need to be careful with is the straighteners. They can go up to a very high heat setting and can cause you to get white dots fairly easily, even after one use, but certainly with repetitive use.

rtree721
September 23rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Well there are sprays and creams that are meant to protect hair from heat styling but you will still get some damage. Since you will only be doing it once a month, I would say you may not see any damage for awhile. I am also considering using heat styling for some upcoming weddings... I am just wondering if it is worth it.

cwarren
September 23rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
I don't think blow drying will be a problem as long as you blow dry on cool or (like lapushka said) on low heat. Straightening is another issue. I use to flat iron my hair twice a month and got heat damage. Flat ironing your hair once every blue moon at 300 degrees Fahrenheit or lower should be ok, but I wouldn't do it once a month...

RubyTuesday
September 24th, 2012, 03:32 AM
No I think I will have to give the straighteners a miss and try and do a good blow dry.

Maybe the straighteners will have to be buried for good. :(

Any recommendations for heat protectants?

lapushka
September 24th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Any recommendations for heat protectants?

No heat protectant goes into my hair for simple blow drying, so I wouldn't know. I have heard the Tresemme one is supposed to be really good.