PDA

View Full Version : Help me not cut my hair!!!

PoliticalPilot
September 23rd, 2012, 01:47 PM
I need some encouragement or something... I don't know what exactly.
My hair is a bit past waist-length. This is the third time I've grown it this long, and I've been wanting to see it grow to it's terminal length.
However, I just had a baby in July...and now I hate my hair. I see pictures of me with shorter hair and think "oh, I look so much nicer with it that length (shoulder-length)". It has gotten coarse and tangly, it's getting ready to do it's post-partum shed thing (uuughhhh) and I just have had it. But I know that if I cut it, I will probably really regret it.
Help, please??? What do I need to be doing to make it soft again and make it so I don't hate having it long? :(

dulce
September 23rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Condition well,and keep it up and out of the way with some cute hair toys eg[Lilla rose]flexi 8 clips,hair forks or hair sticks to start with.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe a deep conditioning treatment and a small trim.

bunnylake
September 23rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
Just trim, not a big chop. Do deep conditioning treatments, coconut oil or whatever oils you prefer, try some different buns or braids.

MrsGuther
September 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
I need some encouragement or something... I don't know what exactly.
My hair is a bit past waist-length. This is the third time I've grown it this long, and I've been wanting to see it grow to it's terminal length.
However, I just had a baby in July...and now I hate my hair. I see pictures of me with shorter hair and think "oh, I look so much nicer with it that length (shoulder-length)". It has gotten coarse and tangly, it's getting ready to do it's post-partum shed thing (uuughhhh) and I just have had it. But I know that if I cut it, I will probably really regret it.
Help, please??? What do I need to be doing to make it soft again and make it so I don't hate having it long? :(
Put the scissors down! Lol. All jokes aside, go buy a deep conditioner, wear your hair up more and forget about it for a while. The urge to cut it will go away after a while of benign neglect.

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
I'd wait until your done shedding deep condition and trim it real well. Mean time wear it up and try new things. I did that when I hated my hair it helped. I'd do the two week rule make sure you really want to chop it off.

Fairlight63
September 23rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
As others have said - deep condition it - put it up - maybe braid it & bun it & forget about it.
Remember if you cut it it will take years to grow back out - & you may never have the patience to do it again.

eros
September 23rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Maybe a trim,nothing drastic, to see if you like it.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 23rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
Keep it moisturised, put it up and forget about it until you have some spare time , baby must take all your time at the moment. Your hair will keep on growing while you aren't watching it.

You have other things to concentrate on...

Mindy
September 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
Ditto the suggestions to do a DT then put it up and forget about it for a while. Go ahead and trim just a bit off the ends if they need it. But pamper it with some moisture, maybe learn a pretty new braid or updo to make you feel better about the way it looks.

Having just gone through a post-partum shed, I can tell you that you will want to retain enough length to put it up quickly and easily. Otherwise your shed hairs will end up everywhere, including wrapped around tiny fingers and toes, or even swallowed by your little one.

Mountaingrrl
September 23rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
To this I would add, set your next mini-goal for length. Terminal could be a long way off, but maybe you're curious about how hip-length hair would look on you, or tailbone-length?

PoliticalPilot
October 23rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
Ahhh, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to come back to respond!!!:o Thank you for all your encouragement and thoughtful replies!
"The Great Shed" has begun it seems, and is so incredibly depressing. But I am determined to not cut. I just keep it brushed out and braided or up. I got a couple new forks (JeterForks!! :D) and am trying to just ignore it.
Hopefully I will make it through this with my hair in one piece--so to speak. :eyebrows::p

elea
October 23rd, 2012, 07:40 AM
keep it up: as easy as short for daily tasks (time 100 of the new little person).
put pictures away for a bit.
remember why you let it grow again.

sweet almond oil (and there are so many good advices on this forum for the best hair)

elea
October 23rd, 2012, 07:43 AM
for what it's worth (and fun):
drastic hair changes when just having had a baby; many friends thought or done that... the wonders ??? (there must be something in the nappies *;OP)

dulce
October 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
Remember it takes minutes to cut it off and YEARS to grow back and regret.Don't rush into anything.

pinchbeck
October 23rd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Well, I got fed up with the way I looked with waist length hair and cut off 8" of it this past March. I looked so much better and had some regret but not as much as I expected. My thing was I was willing to cut off 1.5 years of growth - no more! So, if you decide to do a trim or a cut, think about how many 'months' you're willing to take off (be it one month or more).

As my hair gets longer it gets more tangly and is hard to enjoy down and it also looks thinner. With my hair at bsl to mid back length it tends to look like I have a lot more than I do which of course is a cool illusion.

Blond On Blond
October 23rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Buy a wig. Seriously. Wear it for a few days to see how your new hairstyle feels to you.

And BTW having a wig on hand (a a few wigs, like I do) is great! My hubby always seems to pop out with a proposal of eating out when my own hair is a greasy mess. Wigs are lifesavers! :D