PDA

View Full Version : BSL-ish to Shoulder!

sarahbrownie
September 22nd, 2012, 09:55 PM
I never thought I would do this, but I guess I just don't want long hair right now. I've been APL to BSL since I joined this board. I wore it up every day and just wasn't happy with it. I was waiting for it to get long, but it just never got there. It got harder to do my favorite styles and it really was starting to be too much hair. Idk, maybe I finally snapped this summer and wanted my hair off my back.

I recently marathon the Good Wife and really love her hair, albeit a wig. It's easy, professional style and I thought it would look good on me. It wasn't too short just in case I wanted to grow it out, yet it was a big change from normal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Irina21/The-Good-Wife-Episode-Teaser_zps81b12415.jpg

Now, cutting it would be difficult. My current school is taking their sweet time sending out my financial aid check and darn, commuting is expensive! Thus, I couldn't afford to go to the salon. Even if I had the money, I probably still couldn't trust anyone cutting it. So I did it myself, that way if I screwed it up I couldn't be mad at anyone but myself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Irina21/IMG_0599_zps2b31cfe1.jpg

BTW, wearing a nude-color tank-top, I'm not actually nude. :/

When I cut off the first 2-3 inches I was really panicking. However, the way I cut it certified I had to go through with it or look weird. I cut it dry so I knew how it would look done. It was a mixture of the "creaclip" method without the actual clip and Feye's method. The creaclip cut (without the actual clip) made nice layers. However, the differences between the lengths of the top and bottom half layers creates a bit of that "scene" or mullet hair. So I cut upside down inch by inch and stopped where I wanted the top half layers to hit and then cut the bottom half like Feye's method.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Irina21/IMG_0603_zps24da989c.jpg

I don't know if I'll grow it out. I really like it as it is and gives me more flexibility for vintage styles, which y'all know I adore. Right now I'm kinda turned off from long hair, I don't know if it's a style for me right now.

And, I'm heat styling everyday and loving it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/Irina21/tumblr_m79bbsdgbr1rys4czo1_500_zps6b2e1cb9.gif

:p

PixxieStix
September 22nd, 2012, 10:01 PM
There is nothing wrong with not being in a place in your life where you want long hair, and your new 'do looks lovely on you. I think you did a pretty darn good job for doing it yourself!

I just had my first trim in over a year on my birthday yesterday, so while I dropped out of the "No trims in 2012 " Challenge, I *had* gone over a year with no trims, and wanted my hair to look nicer to celebrate a big birthday for me. If I didn't have a stylist I 100% trust because she's a good friend of mine and loves my hair almost as much as me, I'd have done it myself too. :D

sarahbrownie
September 23rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
There is nothing wrong with not being in a place in your life where you want long hair, and your new 'do looks lovely on you. I think you did a pretty darn good job for doing it yourself!

I just had my first trim in over a year on my birthday yesterday, so while I dropped out of the "No trims in 2012 " Challenge, I *had* gone over a year with no trims, and wanted my hair to look nicer to celebrate a big birthday for me. If I didn't have a stylist I 100% trust because she's a good friend of mine and loves my hair almost as much as me, I'd have done it myself too. :D

Thank you! I just feel like I was betraying 3 years of work cutting my hair. I don't feel like it's too short through, 6 inches are only one year of growth. :D

Nellon
September 23rd, 2012, 08:47 AM
It looks lovely on you! Well done cutting it yourself! I'm impressed! And the main thing is, it's your hair, you should enjoy it. Right choice I say :)

MinderMutsig
September 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
It looks really good! I've always loved how my ends felt after a really big trim. So thick and blunt and luscious. I hope you enjoy your new do!

xoxophelia
September 23rd, 2012, 09:36 AM
Honestly, I think it was a good choice. The cut and style looks nice on you.

It can be difficult to maintain long hair and style it in a heat free way especially if you are a wavy. Finding the right balance to get definition without frizz or so much product it looks stringy is difficult as a wavy. Can't say I blame for you wanting to go shorter and use heat. Maybe I would also if I wasn't so lazy :P

Ticky
September 23rd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Looks good on you! In the end, why have hair that you are unhappy with. Enjoy it!

(And that cat... :D)

cwarren
September 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Congratulations!

Always do what works for you. If you're happy AND they style suits you (which it does), it doesn't matter :)

lapushka
September 23rd, 2012, 12:22 PM
That's a great cut. Amazing you did it yourself. Thumbs up! :thumbsup:

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
Your hair looks lovely and someday you will be ready to grow it out. That time in your life has to be when you're ready.

Sunny_side_up
September 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Looks lovely, enjoy your hair! Must feel nice and easy to manage.