PDA

View Full Version : Tightly Curly Peeps: How do you cut your own hair?

CurlyCap
September 22nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
People with tightly curly hair and those who are hairdressers for the tightly curly,

I need your help!

I think a 1/2-1" trim is in my near future. Thing is, in my quest for length right now, I don't want to go to salon. Even my favorite lady (who admits she's only good at layered, curly looks) takes 2-3" off every time. Not what I'm looking for right now.

This year I've been doing micro-trims by following a curl down to the very ends and trimming off the last 1/8-1/4 inch. It's been fine and not enough to mess up my hemine. However, I don't think I could do a larger trim this way and get away with it. And while microtrims have been magical, they really aren't the same as a nice clean trim on my hair.

So....I can't apply versions of Feye's method to my hair. It doesn't brush out or flatten in a way that allows me to cut a straight line. I've considered cutting it wet, but I don't have a clue what to do when it's wet. Make it into big clumps? Twist it? Soak it with conditioner while I cut so it hangs heavy? What if it starts to dry when wet?

I'm also going to have to do this to myself and I don't have anyone else to ask to hold the scissors.

So, people of LHC, send me your tips, tricks, and hunches. I need to make a battle plan.

ETA: So that you guys know what I'm working with:
Wet with leave-in in it:
http://i.imgur.com/vsolk.jpg?1

Combed out (see why Feye's won't work?):
http://i.imgur.com/VeiNE.jpg?1

Normal, dry, hair:
http://i.imgur.com/aYcSh.jpg?1

Let's talk!

JaneinMarch
September 22nd, 2012, 07:39 PM
Sectioning and plaiting might help. Sistawithreal hair on youtube just did this - her hair was straight, but I don't see why it wouldn't work with curly hair.

MandyBeth
September 22nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Come visit me? Kasey has been really good about cutting only what needs cut. Heck, minion had to beg him to cut the 6" off, he cut an inch then asked again if she wanted more off. He finally cut the 6" off, she goes "Finally!!! That's perfect! Mom, do boys EVER listen?"

Otherwise, no idea.

CurlyCap
September 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the link! I was sorta sad when she didn't show how she did the back. It's the most importantly part for getting straight!

Here's the video for anyone else following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Tf8f6C2rI

I looked back at pictures of my hair in braids, and I don't see how one could get precision all the way around. Six braids (as in the video), sure. 20-30 braids? Hmmm.

CurlyCap
September 22nd, 2012, 08:04 PM
Come visit me? Kasey has been really good about cutting only what needs cut. Heck, minion had to beg him to cut the 6" off, he cut an inch then asked again if she wanted more off. He finally cut the 6" off, she goes "Finally!!! That's perfect! Mom, do boys EVER listen?"

Otherwise, no idea.

Dude. You have no idea.

I dream about LHC meets where everyone just brings their hair scissors and we can get a decent haircut in a fear free zone. And their hair braided. Cause, why not?

Plus....don't you have a horse? Like, a real horse that won't kick me in the face. I would totally go to see a horse.

SugarPlumDreams
September 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
Well, usually with poor results! :D

I have a question for you: Are you looking to trim/cut the layers you have or simply cut an inch off the bottom, like to even your hemline and get rid of layers?

If you want to trim the layers you have, what I've done in the past is gather all of my wet hair into a ponytail high, high on my head, as close to the hairline on my forehead as much as possible. I smooth the tail out with a comb or brush, then I just trim with hair scissors. It doesn't take a lot off the bottom and creates gentle layers by trimming the ends of all your hairs.

I've also blow dried/flat ironed my hair and trimmed as I saw fit. If you're trying to avoid heat, I can totally understand that, but I might make an exception when it comes to my hair, if I were truly set on doing it myself.

But honestly, I'd go to a salon. Be really vocal about what is you want. I usually go in with a scrap of ribbon, or a ruler, and give an exact visual of how much I want removed.

My current stylist and I don't even have a language in common, and she is the best I've ever been to, because I am diligent with photos or other visual cues ;)

Unicorn
September 22nd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Combed out (see why Feye's won't work?):
http://i.imgur.com/VeiNE.jpg?1

:D This with the caption made me laugh.

Feye's method can actually work with curly hair. Prior to locs I used a similar method. If you cut your hair whike it's soaking wet.

By cutting a section at a time, starting with the lowest sections, (clipping the remaining hair up) using a comb to pull it straight down. Then, holding the section of hair taut (the way hairdressers do) trim the ends in the Feye lines. Then take another section, comb it straight down, using part of the already cut hair as a guide, trim the next section.

Just keep doing this until you've worked through all the hair, re-wetting if required.

Unicorn

SugarPlumDreams
September 23rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
What about this? I just discovered the CreaClip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDN2xT17II).

rock007junkie
September 23rd, 2012, 06:27 PM
Lorraine Massey has advocates for a method that calls for trimming each individual curl (Devacuts). It can be a long process and depending how curly your hair is it might look funny if you ever decide to straighten your hair but most curlies love this method.

CurlyCap
September 23rd, 2012, 07:04 PM
Lorraine Massey has advocates for a method that calls for trimming each individual curl (Devacuts). It can be a long process and depending how curly your hair is it might look funny if you ever decide to straighten your hair but most curlies love this method.

This is how I do my microtrims. And since my hair curls differently everyday, I think it would be a nightmare if I did larger cuts.

gthlvrmx
September 23rd, 2012, 09:15 PM
Hm i wanted to try trimming individual curls, but my hair is like all at different lengths from shedding and from not trimming over a year! so at the end of the curl, i have hairs all in differnet lengths, sometimes ending with just 4 hairs at the end and it wont make sense to just trim those 4 hairs that arent even split. s&d has been helping so far actually. i think an overall trim might happen next year and if not then, maybe halfway through the year after that.
im a little confused though with this right here

By cutting a section at a time, starting with the lowest sections, (clipping the remaining hair up) using a comb to pull it straight down. Then, holding the section of hair taut (the way hairdressers do) trim the ends in the Feye lines. Then take another section, comb it straight down, using part of the already cut hair as a guide, trim the next section.

Just keep doing this until you've worked through all the hair, re-wetting if required.
the lowest section as in the LONGEST section? we're talking layered hair yes?
and how would you hold it 'taut'? i dont even know what that word means..XD between your fingers?
i dont know if we're trying to get a blunt look or we're just cutting the layers so we get an overall trim you know? since it says in there "using part of the already cut hair as a guide, trim the next section.". im bit confused, id rather be sure before i make a mistake when i cut!
i know my hairdresser was so confused when i told her just to trim the ends....she just cut the longest part and left everything else the same and i was like what?? i meant the ends of all my hair! how do i cut it when its layered? im not trying to get a blunt look because the shortest layer is way too short, i just want the ends of each layer cut. would you just comb out each layer and cut a little bit off at each section?

CurlyCap
September 23rd, 2012, 09:26 PM
i know my hairdresser was so confused when i told her just to trim the ends....she just cut the longest part and left everything else the same and i was like what?? i meant the ends of all my hair! how do i cut it when its layered? im not trying to get a blunt look because the shortest layer is way too short, i just want the ends of each layer cut. would you just comb out each layer and cut a little bit off at each section?

To do this, my dresser used to pull all my hair away from my head at a 90 degree angle and then cut the last inch. The final look was layered, but she managed to get the last inch off everything, no matter how short. Actually, she would do this for most of the my hair, then put it in a bun at the top of my hair, and then do the bottom section (the longest) as a normal trim.

But that was a long time ago and I actually had her go back and cut in even more layers for shaping so I don't know how that approach would have looked like on it's own.

Also for the hair being all different lengths: I have a similar problem. When my hair is all brushed out, most of it is a similar length (ie, no trailing lengths or layers), but when each curl forms it grabs whatever and so the end of a curl may only have a few hairs. I don't know how that happens, but my point is that cutting the ends of curls will in no way get at the problem unless I cut a lot...like 3-4 inches.

Sigh. This question will get so much easier when I'm no longer trying to gain length. Then I can be ZIP! on a few inches and not feel like I was put back a whole year.

CurlyCap
September 23rd, 2012, 09:29 PM
What about this? I just discovered the CreaClip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDN2xT17II).

I was thinking about this on wet hair. Frankly, the way the video showed it on dry hair was sort of appalling (to me). They hair was curled in the clip, which meant it was all different lengths at the cutting site.

But on wet hair, it shouldn't be so bad. I was wondering if I could take a small crea clip, split my hair into two parts, and bring it over my shoulders like Feye suggests for a U-shaped hemline.

Bah! Maybe I'll just be lazy and let it grow all willy nilly until 3 inches past goal and then chop straight across like a hedge. :D

Unicorn
September 24th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Hm i wanted to try trimming individual curls, but my hair is like all at different lengths from shedding and from not trimming over a year! so at the end of the curl, i have hairs all in differnet lengths, sometimes ending with just 4 hairs at the end and it wont make sense to just trim those 4 hairs that arent even split. s&d has been helping so far actually. i think an overall trim might happen next year and if not then, maybe halfway through the year after that.
im a little confused though with this right here

the lowest section as in the LONGEST section? we're talking layered hair yes?
and how would you hold it 'taut'? i dont even know what that word means..XD between your fingers?
i dont know if we're trying to get a blunt look or we're just cutting the layers so we get an overall trim you know? since it says in there "using part of the already cut hair as a guide, trim the next section.". im bit confused, id rather be sure before i make a mistake when i cut!
Taut = Stretched or pulled tight; not slack

My description was for one length rather than layers. Layers are more complex. CurlyCap's description is much the same as I used to use for layers.

For layers, there are several methods possible for self trimming, but it depends on the look you're going for.

Here's one method that seems popular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GAilMmCqQ

Unicorn

SugarPlumDreams
September 24th, 2012, 02:46 PM
This is how I do my microtrims. And since my hair curls differently everyday, I think it would be a nightmare if I did larger cuts.

I've tried the Deva style of cutting on my own hair, and it was horrible. I don't recommend it.

I was thinking about this on wet hair. Frankly, the way the video showed it on dry hair was sort of appalling (to me). They hair was curled in the clip, which meat it was all different lengths at the cutting site.

But on wet hair, it shouldn't be so bad. I was wondering if I could take a small crea clip, split my hair into two parts, and bring it over my shoulders like Feye suggests for a U-shaped hemline.

Bah! Maybe I'll just be lazy and let it grow all willy nilly until 3 inches past goal and then chop straight across like a hedge. :D

Oh, I know, the video was awful! I was cringing the whole time I watched it! lol

But, I think you're right that it could work well on wet hair. It seems like it would help with weighing down the sections enough so you'd be able to maintain an even hemline.

I'm not trimming until May 2013, but I'm thinking it might be worth the investment over time. I definitely prefer self-regulated trims.

gthlvrmx
September 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM
To do this, my dresser used to pull all my hair away from my head at a 90 degree angle and then cut the last inch. The final look was layered, but she managed to get the last inch off everything, no matter how short. Actually, she would do this for most of the my hair, then put it in a bun at the top of my hair, and then do the bottom section (the longest) as a normal trim.

But that was a long time ago and I actually had her go back and cut in even more layers for shaping so I don't know how that approach would have looked like on it's own.

Also for the hair being all different lengths: I have a similar problem. When my hair is all brushed out, most of it is a similar length (ie, no trailing lengths or layers), but when each curl forms it grabs whatever and so the end of a curl may only have a few hairs. I don't know how that happens, but my point is that cutting the ends of curls will in no way get at the problem unless I cut a lot...like 3-4 inches.

Sigh. This question will get so much easier when I'm no longer trying to gain length. Then I can be ZIP! on a few inches and not feel like I was put back a whole year.
hmm yeah :| im not into the whole layered look its too complicated for me and makes my hair look thinner than it already is. thanks. its weird cutting each individual curl, maybe that method is intended for ppl who trim every few months to keep the same look

Taut = Stretched or pulled tight; not slack

My description was for one length rather than layers. Layers are more complex. CurlyCap's description is much the same as I used to use for layers.

For layers, there are several methods possible for self trimming, but it depends on the look you're going for.

Unicorn
mmm i dont know about doing that, is it the same as just cutting the ends of each layer? i want, in the end, a blunt look, but thats not until i reach knee or so and so before i get there i dont want to lose much length by cutting my hair to the shortest length and have it blunt, but i dont want to make anymore layers. im guess you'd just grab each layered piece and trim from there? i dont know >.< if i get a trim before i hit my first goal, id rather just have a dusting on the ends but i dont know how to get all the ends and i think the way my stylist cut my hair is different than just taking hair and placing it on top of the head, i think it will give and even more layered look by doing that :( ah oh well ill worry about this later then, thanks for the help! its s&d for now i guess

Unicorn
September 24th, 2012, 03:50 PM
hmm yeah :| im not into the whole layered look its too complicated for me and makes my hair look thinner than it already is. thanks. its weird cutting each individual curl, maybe that method is intended for ppl who trim every few months to keep the same look

mmm i dont know about doing that, is it the same as just cutting the ends of each layer? i want, in the end, a blunt look, but thats not until i reach knee or so and so before i get there i dont want to lose much length by cutting my hair to the shortest length and have it blunt, but i dont want to make anymore layers. im guess you'd just grab each layered piece and trim from there? i dont know >.< if i get a trim before i hit my first goal, id rather just have a dusting on the ends but i dont know how to get all the ends and i think the way my stylist cut my hair is different than just taking hair and placing it on top of the head, i think it will give and even more layered look by doing that :( ah oh well ill worry about this later then, thanks for the help! its s&d for now i guess
Different methods of cutting are going to produce different effects, the one I linked will only work for those who want a particular type of (self cut) layering. But yes, if its a case of removing the tips of uneven lengths, without having layering then S & D seems to be the method to go to.

Unicorn

CurlyCap
September 24th, 2012, 07:26 PM

By pulling the hair away at an angle, it allows the stylist to cut the ends of all the hair, even if it's layered, without resorting to "step ladder" layers.

Thing is, if your hair is already layered, there is no way to get a trim of the ends without doing a cut that maintains the layers. OR opting to go for the same length as your shortest layer. The original layers don't have to have been put in by a stylist. Just growing out from bald will result in lots of natural layers.

CurlyCap
September 24th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Unicorn

LOL. This is pretty much how I big chopped my hair two years ago. It works!

Unicorn
September 24th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I've not tried it myself, but I've seen the results of others doing it and I've liked the results. Are your top layers too long for that now?

Unicorn

CurlyCap
September 24th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I've not tried it myself, but I've seen the results of others doing it and I've liked the results. Are your top layers too long for that now?

Unicorn

Yep. The result is a VERY layered look. And I'm finding that while I don't want a blunt cut (triangle head), I do need the tiiiiiiiiniest angle at the bottom of my hair to have it fall nicely. I've been told you can change the angle of the ponytail to change the length of the topmost layer (ie, further back equals longer top layer).

Thing is, I tried this by putting the pony tail at the top of my head and pulling the elastic to the very end of the pony...and then ran out of arm! :D My hair is officially long enough that when I pull it to make it the right angle with my head, I can't manage to reach the ends to cut it with the other hand. And I was scared to let the pony collapse and try to cut anyway.

And hence my search for other hair cutting methods began. :p

salamander
September 24th, 2012, 11:44 PM
I'm only 3a, but I have a fair amount of luck with cutting it very wet, enough that the curls are clumping together with no flyaways. If water isn't enough you might try oiling it heavily and see if that makes them cohere enough to wrangle.

leslissocool
September 25th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I have a ponytail cut! :cheese: Really, I made a pony tail on the top of my forehead and cut. That's how I get my hair to look the way I do.

My trick? Section your hair in top half and bottom half, 2 rubber bands in each section. your top hair will be severely angled (depending on how deep the layers are that you want, but I do it right when it meets my forehead), pull the second rubber band to where you want to cut, and chop.

The bottom part (which is usually thinner than the top chunk) I tend to either angle VERY little, or none. I don't know if you can do a straight cut without a straightener therefore have to angle, but if you can I'd keep it pretty even cut.

I have a severe case of triangle head, the pony tail cut creates a v shape layer pattern, your layers will be more visible closer to your face. This (http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee449/leslissocool/DSC02576.jpg)is what my hair looks like with braid waves (you can tell better there).

If you do cut, PLEASE post pics! I LOVE your hair :crush: it's so gorgeous.

MandyBeth
September 25th, 2012, 03:18 AM
CC, erm A horse? Try 13. 14 if you include my minions pony. Some are typical TB hotheads, but we have 4 of the horse equivalent of a Laz-e-boy. Plus no head kickers usually. I would keep the spaz trio away, everyone else is always civil.

But we also got rattlesnakes. Only civil ones now. They don't come near the house or barn.

I don't cut any curls these days. Someone doesn't like Mom's cut straight across method. Kasey does the Deva curl method more or less. If it's just from non clumping ends he does the cut most straight across, then neatens the ends. Last time - going for cutting most of the unmanageable damage off and actually cutting what was matted the worse all off - when he's used to the request of "Don't take too much please." The request to cut to mid back was the each curl cut an inch at a time. But now we only have another 4 of unmanageable inches left and 20 or so that are color stripped so I suspect protein shot. Her hair didn't bleach with us over summer this year, so I don't think her hair when healthy lightens in the sun. Then another 10 of just off hair. But of well, 17" are good and healthy and I think 5" from before are good.

I'd not cut curly hair wet. My wavy hair may be cut to shoulder, but shrinks up above easy.

SwordWomanRiona
September 25th, 2012, 04:04 AM
I can offer no help, but wow, your hair is sooo beautiful :)!

gthlvrmx
September 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Different methods of cutting are going to produce different effects, the one I linked will only work for those who want a particular type of (self cut) layering. But yes, if its a case of removing the tips of uneven lengths, without having layering then S & D seems to be the method to go to.

Unicorn
mm alrite thanks for all that! ill continue to do so :p

By pulling the hair away at an angle, it allows the stylist to cut the ends of all the hair, even if it's layered, without resorting to "step ladder" layers.

Thing is, if your hair is already layered, there is no way to get a trim of the ends without doing a cut that maintains the layers. OR opting to go for the same length as your shortest layer. The original layers don't have to have been put in by a stylist. Just growing out from bald will result in lots of natural layers.
OHHH i see what you're saying gotcha! :)
yeah layers are funky :\ dont like them at all. i know the blunt look is an unatural thing but my lawd i like it better than any other shape, it just seems easier to trim you know? chop right across and you're done :)
thanks for all that!! :D

CurlyCap
October 1st, 2012, 07:59 PM
Sigh. I've come to report epic failure.

I've tried trimming both wet and dry and I just couldn't do it.

When it was wet, all the different length strands would slither away from each other to curl until I was left holding only 5 strands. If I grabbed high enough to prevent things from slipping away, I was already 4-5 inches up the clump.

When dry, it was just too much volume. I first combed out my hair, and then tried to divide into two clumps like with Feye's method. But it was too much volume, so I had to go into smaller sections. The problem with smaller sections was that it was too difficult to line up the sections and make sure that I was getting a straight cut.

I think my hair is just too short to cut myself right now. For now, I'm going to go back to dusting individual curls and then I'll go in for a trim in maybe March.

One good piece of news though. I could apply Feye's method to the front 1/5 of my hair and I was able to shape my face framing curls the way I like them. Also, I think the process blended some left-over pixie microlayers. Small things, peeps. Small things. :D

CurlyCap
October 3rd, 2012, 09:34 PM
Tried again, this time while soaking wet, but trying to cut each individual clump. Thought it might go faster than cutting all the dry curls/clumps.

My biggest problem is that my hair is NOT one length. But really, whose hair is ALL one length?!

CurlyCap
October 4th, 2012, 09:34 PM
SUCCESS!

Much kudos to Lacefrost, who gave me the idea in the Kinky 4s thread. :D :blossom:

What helped was to divide my hair up not by length, or by how I wanted to cut, but by curl pattern. For me, this meant each section was maybe 3x3" of scalp. Then each section was brushed, ponytailed, and the elastic was slid down to the bottom of the pony (like a mini-Feye's blunt cut).

Voila!

My guess is since all the curls in the pony have the same behavioral issues, they were less likely to spring away from each other, even with all the hair dry and brushed out. Also, having the hair brushed out helped me control how much I cut off. No length hiding in a tight or wonky spiral.

I cut 1/2" off of each pony and when I took it down, the trim was pretty dang even. When it dried after co-washing, I couldn't even tell it had been trimmed and everything looked even. :D

Just wanted to write down the breakthrough in case another peep goes searching for this topic at a later point!