PDA

View Full Version : Why Do Clip in Extensions Hurt My Scalp and hair SO much?

RavenBaby
September 22nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
I have a full head extension set, everytime i attempt to wear them the pressure of the clips pulling my hair is so intensely painful. I have a sensitive scalp with regular dandruff (and dandruff at the moment) and my hair is super thin and very fine. I tried backcombing.. didn't work, it feels like the clips are tugging very hard on my hair like as if i got a comb snagged into my hair and tried pulling it myself. why do other people wear extensions with 0 pain or feeling and i feel like i have 100 pounds pulling on my hair and it hurts me a lot. will I ever be able to wear clip in's? :( is it cause of my scalp problems? if i use no cond. or treatments on my scalp will it stop being so sensitive? :(

Sarahlabyrinth
September 22nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
If they are causing you pain or discomfort, don't wear them.
They can cause a lot of damage to your hair and scalp, and can cause hair loss and bald patches.

If you must wear them, just do it for minimal amounts of time, (an evening out, for example).

Google hair damage from extensions to find out more.

RavenBaby
September 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
If they are causing you pain or discomfort, don't wear them.
They can cause a lot of damage to your hair and scalp, and can cause hair loss and bald patches.

If you must wear them, just do it for minimal amounts of time, (an evening out, for example).

Google hair damage from extensions to find out more.

How come some people wear them daily without problems? :( I'd love to look past extensions as I hate the way they feel but my layered hair that barely touches my collar bone is annoying me so much, I can't wait for it to grow anymore :/ it grows SO slow. (3 inches since early February) I even tried attaching each clip to a large chunk of hair but stll it pulls and is painful to scalp and hair.

PraiseCheeses
September 22nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
How long have you been using extensions? If it's been a long time, they are probably making your natural hair thinner. You may see some thickening if you give up the extensions for a while. :flower: (Then, if you decide to put them back in, there will be more hair for them to grab onto and they won't hurt as much. But by then, you may not want to. :))

What is your current haircare routine? Many members have had a lot of success thickening their natural hair by changing their routine (eliminating sulfates, going water-only), treatments (castor oil, and yes, Monistat!), scalp massage, henna/indigo/cassia, gentle handling, and taking nutritional supplements.

RavenBaby
September 22nd, 2012, 05:00 PM
How long have you been using extensions? If it's been a long time, they are probably making your natural hair thinner. You may see some thickening if you give up the extensions for a while. :flower: (Then, if you decide to put them back in, there will be more hair for them to grab onto and they won't hurt as much. But by then, you may not want to. :))

What is your current haircare routine? Many members have had a lot of success thickening their natural hair by changing their routine (eliminating sulfates, going water-only), treatments (castor oil, and yes, Monistat!), scalp massage, henna/indigo/cassia, gentle handling, and taking nutritional supplements.

I literally wore them under 5 times in my lifetime, so that can't be the problem ): wish it was haha. at the moment I can't eliminate sulfates completely cause of the build up I get but I'm started using them only rarely and I'm currently cutting out cones. I tried supplements and gentle handling is my middle name lol I'd like to think it's because of my scalp problems (I have slight red blotches at some areas) I think its from using conditioners/treatments on my scalp which I've cut out completely since 2 weeks ago.

PraiseCheeses
September 22nd, 2012, 05:30 PM
I literally wore them under 5 times in my lifetime, so that can't be the problem ): wish it was haha. at the moment I can't eliminate sulfates completely cause of the build up I get but I'm started using them only rarely and I'm currently cutting out cones. I tried supplements and gentle handling is my middle name lol I'd like to think it's because of my scalp problems (I have slight red blotches at some areas) I think its from using conditioners/treatments on my scalp which I've cut out completely since 2 weeks ago.

Well, so much for the easy answers. :p

Maybe try using a baking soda solution to deal with the buildup? That worked extremely well for me for a couple years. It can be harsh, but it can be cleansing or clarifying at the right dilutions.

Hopefully you're right about the scalp problems being the result of conditioners and treatments. If it hasn't gotten better in a couple more weeks, get thee to a doctor if possible! Perhaps members who have experienced your scalp issues will have some better advice. :)

Oh, and welcome to LHC! :D

RavenBaby
September 24th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks :) i hope somebody else has ideas to why i have this problem ):

itdontmatter48
September 24th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I can put my hair in a pony tail, and because of the length and heaviness, it can hurt. Hate to say it, but, even though I have long hair, I still need to be gentle to it, and they are not. I believe there is an new post about it you might be interested in. Good luck dear.

akilina
September 24th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Like everyone else says..stop wearing them.
If your goal is to have long healthy hair some day, using clip in extensions will NOT help you. Especially with all this pain you speak of.
Something that is pulling your hair and hurting/irritating your scalp is not healthy. :(
Everyone is indeed different...and something that works for some will not work for others. Find what works best for you. I have wanted to use extensions a lot in the past but they are simply too irritating.

RavenBaby
September 24th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I agree but most days I'm like ughh life is too short to wait for my hair to grow :( I'm like the most impatient person I know and my hair is only at my collar bone and that's my longest layer D: and the worst part is my existing hair isn't exactly quality hair, it's bleached several times and the back is always frizzy as hell. I'm against all hair extensions accept the flip in ones that don't touch the scalp, the clip in ones and maybe even the double sided tape "damaged free" extensions. I feel like I might go crazy one day and get the doubled sided tape ones.

ravenreed
September 24th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I think it is the extra weight pulling on your scalp. The longer my hair gets (and the heavier), the more scalp pain I have. I have had to dramatically cut back on the weight of my hair toys to compensate. Sometimes I can't even put it up because it hurts so much. I don't think it is something that I will get used to, I think that I just have a sensitive scalp. *shrug*

Are you certain you have dandruff? When I gave up SLS-shampoos, went conditioner only and started consistently rinsing with vinegar every time, all my flakies went away.

terylenerose
September 24th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'd also say don't wear the clip ins if they hurt, and just don't wear them anyway; please try to find another solution. Maybe put your hair up or do something else to get your mind off it? I haven't been doing scalp massages very long, but so far they've reduced my dandruff and ick from annoying to tolerable. You might want to try that too. :)

spidermom
September 24th, 2012, 02:45 PM
People have different pain tolerance. Some people can wear tight buns all day, for example, but I can't.

Cultivate patience. 3 inches in 7 months isn't that bad a growth rate. Some people get less than that in a whole year.

spidermom
September 24th, 2012, 02:47 PM
People have different pain tolerance. Some people can wear tight buns all day, for example, but I can't.

Cultivate patience. 3 inches in 7 months isn't that bad a growth rate, especially with bleach-damaged hair. Some people get less growth than that in an entire year.

MrsGuther
September 24th, 2012, 02:50 PM
If the clip in hair extensions are causing you pain I think you should avoid them altogether!! Clip ins can cause hair loss. Be careful!

akilina
September 24th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I agree but most days I'm like ughh life is too short to wait for my hair to grow :( I'm like the most impatient person I know and my hair is only at my collar bone and that's my longest layer D: and the worst part is my existing hair isn't exactly quality hair, it's bleached several times and the back is always frizzy as hell. I'm against all hair extensions accept the flip in ones that don't touch the scalp, the clip in ones and maybe even the double sided tape "damaged free" extensions. I feel like I might go crazy one day and get the doubled sided tape ones.
Well if you truly feel that way then you might as well do whatever you want with it and enjoy it, even if that involves damage.
I am impatient too. Its easy to just wear it up and ignore it though. It is hard at first but once you get used to it it comes easily.
In my experiences, you do have to clip yours in very close to the scalp. If you are clipping them in way off the scalp, that could cause even more tension/hair fall.
And also..The words "tape" and "hair" do not mix. No way. Please don't ever tape hair to your head. That sounds even worse than clip ins, even if this tape is designed for your hair.
Anything heavy duty enough to STICK to your hair, and stay in your hair, is obviously going to rip it out just as well. :(
I would give your hair a break and just hang out here and try to read and gather information just by reading threads :]

Anabell
September 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM
I think it is the extra weight pulling on your scalp. The longer my hair gets (and the heavier), the more scalp pain I have. I have had to dramatically cut back on the weight of my hair toys to compensate. Sometimes I can't even put it up because it hurts so much. I don't think it is something that I will get used to, I think that I just have a sensitive scalp. *shrug*

Are you certain you have dandruff? When I gave up SLS-shampoos, went conditioner only and started consistently rinsing with vinegar every time, all my flakies went away.

welcome to the club....
I have sensitive scalp too. I see all the time girls with long hair with tight, high updoes. And it does not hurts for them. I never can hold my hair up more that a half hour without pain. Even if it is a wide bun, and the weight divided....

how do you put your hair, as you tender scalp like me, with classic length?

hermosamendoza
September 24th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I can't wear clip ins either. They give me a horrible headache. I eventually gave it away

Mya
September 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I agree but most days I'm like ughh life is too short to wait for my hair to grow :( I'm like the most impatient person I know
Okay, but imagine yourself in a few years. You turn back: what can you do now that will make your future self happy and glad you did?

Life is too short for giving up goals just because they are long term. :)

MelH
September 24th, 2012, 05:11 PM
From everything I've read recently, thanks to LHC, I have to agree with not using them. An overall wig would do less damage and may help get you past the "i hate my hair"stage. A good friend of mine has alopecia and wears wigs daily. No one would know as she gets high quality human hair ones.
But, welcome, nonetheless, and best of luck in your journey!

battles
September 24th, 2012, 06:17 PM
I think you need to find something to focus on besides how fast your hair is or isn't growing. :flower:

You could try pampering your hair and practicing braiding and any updos you can at this length, so you'll be prepared when your hair is longer?

I do think if the extensions are causing you pain, they are probably causing damage which will only set you back from achieving your goal in the long run. Sometimes the wait is really worth it!

ETA: If you haven't checked out the shoulder to APL thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33961&page=576), there are other members who are at a similar length.

torrilin
September 24th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Ok, you're typing yourself as 2a/F/i, and then saying your hair is super frizzy, and you don't care about thinning hair?

This doesn't match up. A i thickness is a less than 2" thick ponytail, which is pretty small. Think penny sized, or one where you'd have to loop a standard hair elastic 5 or 6 times. This is noticeably, obviously thinner than most people's hair.

Also, 2a is usually not super frizzy. A lot of 2a types didn't even realize their hair wasn't straight til they hit LHC. Combined with your mention of dandruff upthread and I'm really wondering if you're not a closet curly. It's common for curly hair to be paired with quite dry skin, and if you've got dry skin flaking from a too harsh cleanser... a lot of times you'll think it's dandruff.

This sounds to me like you've been mistreating your hair, and that might well explain the "slow" growth.

lapushka
September 24th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Also, 2a is usually not super frizzy. A lot of 2a types didn't even realize their hair wasn't straight til they hit LHC.

I wouldn't say "a lot" and then make such a general assumption. 2a hair can be mighty frizzy, at least from my experience.

Dovetail
September 24th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Oh, I hope you can find something that pleases you, and your scalp. I agree with trying a wig! Then you could hide your hair and still feel like you have long hair. Unfortunately, if you are growing your hair out the hair on your head NOW will be the hair at your hips a few years from now. There is tons of great ways to cleanse your hair, I've gotten a new sulphate free shampoo which cleans really well with tea tree, and vinegar helps with buildup. Cones cause build up, but there are several water-soluble ones which do no cause build up. In fact luxePiggy uses cones and has no build up from them. Hair is a lot of trail and error, but I do know that putting undue stress on your roots isn't going to help any.

Eta: you should TOTALLY look at the curly-surly thread. It would do you a lot of good I think. All kinds of fun things like clumping and plopping!

UltraBella
September 24th, 2012, 08:47 PM
If you hair is fine and thin, any type of extensions can cause damage that lasts forever. Your putting extra pressure and weight on your scalp and roots. I have very thick, coarse hair - extensions would be much less stress on my hair, everyone is different.
You've got to work with what you've got, because extensions are just going to make all your hair problems worse. I say stay far away from them.

melusine963
September 25th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Check out this recent LHC thread on the damage that can be caused by hair extensions: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100463

MinderMutsig
September 25th, 2012, 03:26 AM
What everybody else said. ^^

I just want to say again what Spidermom said: three inches in seven months is not a terribly slow growth rate. It may be slightly below average (which is about 1/2 inch a month) but it's not exceptionally slow in any way. There are people on here who don't even get three inches a year.

Second: did you get your hair trimmed at all during those seven months? 'Cause that will mess up your stats.

And third: I guess you have a choice to make. Go for instant gratification and risk the damage, possible baldness and having to start all over again with possibly permanent damage to your scalp or cultivate some patience, take good care of your hair and actually grow healthy, long hair. You can't have both. Maybe others can but with your hairtype and your problems, you can't. If you go with option one there is nothing any of us can say or do to help you. There are no magic tricks.