PDA

View Full Version : My Hair Smells Bad

Vanille_
September 22nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
So, I'm around a foot shorter than DH. When we hug, his head is right on top of mine if he leans down to hug me. Last night, he leaned his head on top of mine when he hugged me, pulled away, and said in the most surprised voice, "You hair smells good!"

I asked him if it normally smells bad, and he said yeah. I had no clue. I guess because I stretch washes to about twice a week - my scalp doesn't smell too good. Add in that I live in the South and sweat.

Any tricks to making it not smell bad? I tried dry shampoo - but mine smells like lemon and DH didn't like it. Do they all smell like lemon?

petali
September 22nd, 2012, 03:15 PM
My hair used to smell kind of bad, but I just got a shampoo that has a longer lasting smell, no more smell :)

bunnylake
September 22nd, 2012, 03:18 PM
Maybe try some light oils or essential oils for your scalp.
Or maybe wash a little more often?

DinaAG
September 22nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
oils with nice smells depends on your taste, coconut, peppermint, lavender seems nice

Vanille_
September 22nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
Maybe try some light oils or essential oils for your scalp.
Or maybe wash a little more often?

oils with nice smells depends on your taste, coconut, peppermint, lavender seems nice

Won't oils make my scalp oily?

*Rose Red*
September 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
I use from time to time some body powder on my hair - smells good! Or you can give a little bit if your perfume on your hair!

Vanille_
September 22nd, 2012, 03:24 PM
The reason why I was washing twice a week was because I use Manic Panic and it fades. I'm not totally concerned about it fading, but when it's wet - the color bleeds onto fabrics. So I have to let my hair dry before bed but I also have to be careful to not let it ruin my shirts.

I'm almost wondering if it's time to let Manic Panic go since I have to work around it so much.

spidermom
September 22nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
I know you can't avoid sweating in that climate. As long as you are reasonably clean and don't go around reeking like a slaughterhouse, I think a bit of unpleasant smell is reasonable. Your DH's head probably doesn't smell like roses every day, either.

HairFaerie
September 22nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
You can use a mister bottle filled with distilled water and several drops of essentlal oils (depending on the size of the bottle - 10 to 20 drops). The "oil" is kind of a misnomer, they aren't really oily, especially when diluted with water.
Some can be more oily than others because they are sometimes mixed with jojoba oil to make them more affordable, namely rose, jasmine and frankincense (and few others). But if you get the 100% pure essential oils, they won't make your scalp or hair oily.

stew
September 22nd, 2012, 04:09 PM
As long as you are reasonably clean and don't go around reeking like a slaughterhouse

this imagery made me a little sick hahaha :lol:

but i agree on the essential oils. i use lavender or cedarwood, but jasmine oil might be nice, as well as rose or orange. i was spraying rosewater on my hair for a while because i loved the smell so much, but it doesn't last very long.

Kaelee
September 22nd, 2012, 04:12 PM
The reason why I was washing twice a week was because I use Manic Panic and it fades. I'm not totally concerned about it fading, but when it's wet - the color bleeds onto fabrics. So I have to let my hair dry before bed but I also have to be careful to not let it ruin my shirts.

I'm almost wondering if it's time to let Manic Panic go since I have to work around it so much.

Can you get the effect you want from Manic Panic from something else? (Although henna bleeds for several days too, so you'll run into the same problem there at least for the first week.)

I think it's a credit to you DH that he hasn't told you before that your hair stinks (I think. Though honestly if I reeked I would want someone to tell me! :blueeek:) :D

Since he doesn't like the smell of lemon, maybe you can ask him what smells he DOES like? You might try making your own dry shampoo with a scent that he and you both like. Try cornstarch and a couple drops of an essential oil.

Vanille_
September 22nd, 2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks everyone! DH is pretty sensitive to smells - but it's not like his nose in my hair all the time. So, I'll try some different scents with the oil and mister and making my own dry shampoo. My deodorant is scented baby powder and DH doesn't really like that smell - but hey, it's not just about him right? I'll see what he thinks of the baby powder (and I won't tell him it's baby powder).

spookyghost
September 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM
Rose water spritzed on your hair might help. When I spritzed my hair with rose water I was presently surprised at how long the smelled lasted. But it was on my length and not my scalp. Im not sure if the rose water scent would be strong enough for the scalp smell-if you know what I mean. Sebum smell?

Madora
September 22nd, 2012, 04:56 PM
So, I'm around a foot shorter than DH. When we hug, his head is right on top of mine if he leans down to hug me. Last night, he leaned his head on top of mine when he hugged me, pulled away, and said in the most surprised voice, "You hair smells good!"

I asked him if it normally smells bad, and he said yeah. I had no clue. I guess because I stretch washes to about twice a week - my scalp doesn't smell too good. Add in that I live in the South and sweat.

Any tricks to making it not smell bad? I tried dry shampoo - but mine smells like lemon and DH didn't like it. Do they all smell like lemon?

You need to wash it more frequently...or perhaps alternate with a scalp wash and then shampoo later in the week.

Dry shampoo is not a good idea. Takes too much to get it out.

You might try diluting both your shampoo and your conditioner also.

ratgirldjh
September 22nd, 2012, 04:56 PM
How about using cocoa powder as a dry shampoo?

Vanille_
September 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
You need to wash it more frequently...or perhaps alternate with a scalp wash and then shampoo later in the week.
Dry shampoo is not a good idea. Takes too much to get it out.
You might try diluting both your shampoo and your conditioner also.

Agghhh. I was hoping to not have to wash it more often :( I'm so lazy. But it's probably true.

Amber_Maiden
September 22nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
How about getting some solid perfume, rubbing it on your hands, and then running it through your hair?

GrowingGlory
September 22nd, 2012, 05:05 PM
I vote for cocoa powder, antibacterial EO & water in a mister bottle, and maybe letting your ends drink a little Cocoveda.

HairFaerie
September 22nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Rosemary and basil essential oils are very beneficial to your hair/scalp. Tea tree oil is an antibacterial/antiseptic. (Diluted in a mister bottle with water. Don't apply EO's full strength.) I like smelly stuff and don't mind strong fragrances. Everyone is different though...I guess you'd have to just try them and see how it goes for you. Good luck!

Vanille_
September 22nd, 2012, 05:14 PM
Can you get the effect you want from Manic Panic from something else? (Although henna bleeds for several days too, so you'll run into the same problem there at least for the first week.)

I'm not sure - I've considered Pravana - I believe they might have a color I might like. I think that would be less likely to bleed .. though I need to do more research.

leslissocool
September 22nd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Actually try Kimberly's spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-277.html) you can add oils that you like to make it smell good.

Also try detangle spray, the kid's one. It's like 2 bucks at Walmart and you can choose from sour green apple (I LOVE that one) or watermelon.

I don't think dry shampoo makes my hair smell decent at all. I wash my hair once a week, and it doesn't smell. If I braid it it actually smells like the spray when I undo it.

Kaelee
September 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Agghhh. I was hoping to not have to wash it more often :( I'm so lazy. But it's probably true.

I'm not sure what your washing routine is (maybe it takes longer for you to wash your hair than it takes me) but I wash it daily (I am exposed to things at work that I do NOT want to take to bed with me. So daily washing it is.) Maybe if more frequent washing is a hassle you might try simplifying your routine to make it easier on you?

I'm not sure what your starting color is but it looks like you have some red dye over medium or dark brown hair? (Judging by your sig pic). If so you should be able to get that color with henna (if you like commitment lol. It's a pain in the neck but you only have to do it once a month or so to keep up with roots. And it won't fade much if at all.) or you should be able to easily get it with some shade of Pravana. :D

Vanille_
September 22nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure what your washing routine is (maybe it takes longer for you to wash your hair than it takes me) but I wash it daily (I am exposed to things at work that I do NOT want to take to bed with me. So daily washing it is.) Maybe if more frequent washing is a hassle you might try simplifying your routine to make it easier on you?

I'm not sure what your starting color is but it looks like you have some red dye over medium or dark brown hair? (Judging by your sig pic). If so you should be able to get that color with henna (if you like commitment lol. It's a pain in the neck but you only have to do it once a month or so to keep up with roots. And it won't fade much if at all.) or you should be able to easily get it with some shade of Pravana. :D

It's not the actual washing that annoys me; it's the drying. Like I said, I have to be careful what I wear because the MP will bleed. It also takes a long time to dry depending on if I have it up or down. I don't like the feeling of wet hair down, but if I put it up it takes a long time to dry. It really has to be down to dry fully. Plus, there is the fear of extra mechanical damage and breakage from extra combing and washing.

I have dark brown hair with MP Vampire Red. I love unnatural reds so henna probably isn't for me, right? Which is why I thought I might try the Vivid line from Pravana.

leslissocool
September 22nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure - I've considered Pravana - I believe they might have a color I might like. I think that would be less likely to bleed .. though I need to do more research.

Unless you have scalp issues, I don't think washing daily is very good for hair (personal opinion here). Body odor in general can be attributed to health issues. I'm sure you do smell checks, if it's a DH issue because his nose is sensitive I'd try to disguise it instead first, then if all fails wash it often (CWC style).

Vanille_
September 22nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
Unless you have scalp issues, I don't think washing daily is very good for hair (personal opinion here). Body odor in general can be attributed to health issues. I'm sure you do smell checks, if it's a DH issue because his nose is sensitive I'd try to disguise it instead first, then if all fails wash it often (CWC style).

I like your ideas. I've considered trying a kids detangling spray - not because I get tangles, but kids stuff usually smells nice.

Kaelee
September 22nd, 2012, 05:32 PM
I have dark brown hair with MP Vampire Red. I love unnatural reds so henna probably isn't for me, right? Which is why I thought I might try the Vivid line from Pravana.

Actually your haircolor looks similar to mine...it's been described by others as anywhere from "auburn" to purple depending on the light. I can't say for sure. But I use pure BAQ henna and have for years- after a few applications (it will be orange at first! Be prepared but don't panic. It darkens in a few days) you'll get there with no problem. (check out my sig pic.)

DinaAG
September 22nd, 2012, 09:29 PM
peppermint doesnt make it oily that much dear actually it re-arranges the sebum in your scalp, plus you can always put splash form your perfume over your head

McFearless
September 22nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
You should make a mix of water and essential oils that you can spray directly onto your scalp between washes. Your hair dye won't run this way and you won't have to compromise the health of your hair either.

Bedhead
September 22nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
Hmm... have you considered what you're ingesting? I've noticed my hair doesn't smell great when I eat certain foods - usually processed foods. I try to stick to a higher alkaline diet with lots of fruits and veggies.

Wildcat Diva
September 22nd, 2012, 10:54 PM
I never notice a smell, but now I am paranoid a bit!

irisheyes
September 22nd, 2012, 11:37 PM
I use Tresemme Freshstart Refreshing Mist. It is an odor neutralizing spray and has a lovely fragrance that lasts. Check it out. If you don't like it, return it to the store. It only costs less than$5.

Wildcat Diva
September 23rd, 2012, 03:07 AM
I have used a roobios tea spray on my scalp to help stretch washes. It seems to cut the greasies for me a bit. I don't mind the scent of it either.

kidari
September 23rd, 2012, 04:27 AM
If I'm stretching washes, I spray rose water on my scalp. It helps with the itching and sort of acts like a toner with the added bonus that the rose scent lingers in my hair. I go through rose water so fast that I'm glad I learned to make my own mister for my scalp just using purified water and about 10 drops of essential oils (I use rosemary) but you can use a mix or any that you like. Also, I make my own dry shampoo. I got an empty salt and pepper shaker and filled it up with a mixture of arrowroot (I found mine in the baking aisle at Whole Foods with the flours and starches), unsweetened cocoa powder, and a couple drops of lavender essential oil. It smells like lavender-chocolate, doesn't leave a white residue on my black hair, and soaks up all the grease fast.

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2012, 07:30 AM
I'd try an oil with a lingering scent or perfume.

SilverDoe
September 23rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
Distilled water & a few drops of Sweet orange essential oil in a mister - pure fresh heaven. :inlove: Mmmm.
My partner really loves it when I add some vanilla oil to the mix.

PetuniaBlossom
September 23rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
I'm guessing that it isn't your hair that has an unpleasant odor, it might be your sebum. I had the same issue as you, and when I started doing daily scalp massages, moving that sebum along down the hair shaft, it seemed to almost instantly eliminate what I call the "stale sebum" odor.
Worth a try?

Ligeia_13
September 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Since when is twice a week stretching it really far? :confused: Apart from the first 3-4 months after joining here, when I tried every washing method under the sun, I have always washed my hair twice a week. I though that was the average.

Anyways, I might suggest scalp massages too.

heidi w.
September 23rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Just don't oil the scalp related area of hair; only oil the length. Sebum does it for your scalp related hair. Let it work for you. That's what I do.

OR

Wash every couple of days. No stretching of hair washing. That creates more problems that simply aren't worth it.

Good luck
heidi w.

PolarCathy
September 23rd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Since when is twice a week stretching it really far? :confused: Apart from the first 3-4 months after joining here, when I tried every washing method under the sun, I have always washed my hair twice a week. I though that was the average.

Anyways, I might suggest scalp massages too.

Twice a week is not stretching it at all in my eyes so I'm confused too. I come from a family where once a week was the norm. I never washed more often than that. When I was a teenager, my mom cautioned me about starting the vicious cycle of daily washing and I didn't take too many of her advices but I sure took this one simply because I've always hated to wash.

About the smell of the sebum, mine depends very much on my diet and liquid intake.

Vanille_
September 23rd, 2012, 10:27 AM
Stretching is relative. Before LHC, I washed every day.

Thank you for so many wonderful ideas to try!

Wildcat Diva
September 23rd, 2012, 10:31 AM
In the US, washing daily or every day or two is the norm in mainstream culture from what I can tell living here. At least in the hot south. I don't know anyone who openly talks about going past two days, if the subject happens to come up. I am sure that if people talked about it there would be some real differences in actuality though.

I am trying to get to twice a week but I get greasy on the third day. I have been dealing with it and have made it to day three or four often. I bet it will get better as I go.