PDA

View Full Version : going ginger...help/opinions (lots of pics..)

kitcatsmeow
September 22nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Ok so I haven't done anything with my hair in 6 months color wise and I haven't cut it in over a year. Lately I've been SOOO itching for something new and since I'm not cutting, it's color. I tried growing out my natural color but I dislike it and I don't want to bleach again. I started adding some low lights to blend and just recently put some coppery blonde highlights in my regrowth and I LOVE the copper.

Enter....the red hair. I am a natural strawberry blonde but it darkened by the time I was in elementary school.

I want to keep it light and on the coppery side as opposed to deep/dark.

I like these shades the best...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8037/8013115803_cab50dabb0.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8172/8013115921_9b7e2cabd1.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8171/8013118954_728949948d.jpg

And this is my hair now...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8178/8013114670_28b3c26269.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8298/8013118320_3bf675336c.jpg

I am thinking I could just do all over highlights to blend my regrowth and lighten it up a bit without having to bleach my whole head. I realize I may have to go back and do highlights again.

Do you think my hair is light enough to get these shades?

The other option would be to foil in the color and hope I get it to stick while adding more highlights then toning them with a coppery blonde. I def would have to do that again at least a few more times before I got my desired result though and these salon trips are getting pricey!!!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 22nd, 2012, 05:35 PM
I don't really know much about how you would get these colours but just want to say that I love your hair just the way it is now. No need to colour it at all, just my two cents worth:)

ratgirldjh
September 22nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
The girl in the last picture has hair that looks to be henna or at least is the color of my hair when I henna at least until it oxidizes.

You might be able to get this with henna and cassia mix. I would wait for someone to chime in though because I just use straight henna and don't know the ratio and if it would work on your hair color.

Amber_Maiden
September 22nd, 2012, 06:14 PM
The girl in the last picture has hair that looks to be henna or at least is the color of my hair when I henna at least until it oxidizes.

You might be able to get this with henna and cassia mix. I would wait for someone to chime in though because I just use straight henna and don't know the ratio and if it would work on your hair color.

I agree with this. I think a good mix of henna and cassia would work to create this colour.

Roscata
September 22nd, 2012, 06:53 PM
If you're trying to grow out your natural hair color I think you should just add some Manic Panic to your conditioner and thus slowly add red tones to it, red tones that will wash out when you're bored with them.

pes3108
September 22nd, 2012, 07:00 PM
I used to have color similar to the girl in the last picture when I dyed my hair with box dyes. It wasn't the best for the health of my hair, but I always got great results color wise and my hair is naturally a lot darker than yours.

aspartame gram
September 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Oh, the ginger would be so much fun! I think I can see that you have some warmer tones in your hair naturally. Plus, you don't have too many pink undertones, so it'd be perfect. It might work to just add the copper color itself without bleaching. I know it's worked well with box color and brunettes. If you're going to a salon, bring pictures and ask the stylist what she/he thinks. Unfortunately, I'm not a stylist and cannot assist you much with that sort of thing.

Springlets
September 22nd, 2012, 08:38 PM
I recall you saying that your hair is naturally a level 5-6 and that you have level 8 highlights and level 5 lowlights in your hair right now. The color of red you want is between a 9 (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+HCo6_31//{pdp_tab:pdp_overview//objectid+HCo6_31//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank})and 8, (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+HCo6_28//{pdp_tab:pdp_overview//objectid+HCo6_28//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank}) so it would be somewhat achievable now since your hair is for the most part at that level. But, if you didn't want to use bleach anymore, it would not be achievable on your natural hair color. It would look more like this: level 6 (http://www.lorealparisusa.com/_us/_en/default.aspx#/?page=top{userdata//d+d//|diagnostic|main:pdp//objectid+HCo6_16//{pdp_tab:pdp_overview//objectid+HCo6_16//}|media:_blank|nav|overlay:_blank})

Oubli
September 23rd, 2012, 02:44 AM
Try a henna gloss or at least some Cassia.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/

sunshine-locks
September 23rd, 2012, 03:05 AM
I have really ginger hair and I used henna, if you want a more ginger colour you could try henna + cassia, like some others have suggested? Henna is rad.

zombi
September 23rd, 2012, 03:15 AM
My hair colour is similar to the last photo you posted of colours you like. I use 50/50 henna/cassia on roots-only. However, your natural hair in the pictures appears darker than mine. I am naturally strawberry blonde. To me it looks like you may need to lighten with bleach to get the shades you like.

MonaMayfair
September 23rd, 2012, 04:58 AM
I think your hair's slightly too dark for any of them, though maybe the second one would be more achievable.

Molly Quinn, in the first picture (as you probably know, that's her real color) has very light hair. I've never seen anyone else with that color, it looks amazing with her white skin and blue eyes. Your hair is definitely too dark for that at the moment.

The last pic also looks lighter than yours.

But either way, a mix of henna/cassia is the way to go. More cassia than henna initially, then add more henna if it isn't red enough for you (bearing in mind that henna can darken very quickly even on blonde hair)

kitcatsmeow
September 23rd, 2012, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Not doing henna or cassia because I have no experience and I'd be much too afraid the outcome wouldn't be what I wanted. With chemical dyes it's not simple, but much easier, to fix.

Molly's hair is a tad bit too light but I like the hue. I am leaning more toward a coppery red than a deep or dark red.

MonaMayfair
September 23rd, 2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Not doing henna or cassia because I have no experience and I'd be much too afraid the outcome wouldn't be what I wanted. With chemical dyes it's not simple, but much easier, to fix.

Molly's hair is a tad bit too light but I like the hue. I am leaning more toward a coppery red than a deep or dark red.

Sorry, that's my bad, when I saw the other posts mentioning henna, I was thinking that's what you were after (even though I DID read your first post, lol)

I think you're sensible not to go for henna, I'm growing mine out at the moment, and as you say, it's hard to predict the outcome (and easy to go too dark unintentionally)
I don't know so much about chemical color, because the most I've ever used is the semi permanents without peroxide (I'm doing this at the moment to help hide the henna) but I know a permanent can lighten your hair several shades. TBH I'd go for one of these myself, except my scalp is so sensitive and gets so itchy anyway, I don't want to risk it. But I totally think you can have great looking hair that's also dyed chemically

lara grace
September 23rd, 2012, 07:08 AM
Definitely go for a veggie dye, Directions, Manic Panic etc in an orange shade. Over your current shade, it will come out most similarly to the third picture. I would dilute it a bit with conditioner and perhaps mix orange dye with yellow to achieve that yellowy tone. I've used henna in the past and it just dulled down the orange that veggie dyes give.

fairview
September 23rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
My vote would be to go with dimensional block highlights using the first 2 color samples in your first post. They are quicker, eaier to maintain and need less maintenance than traditional highlights. Typically you are able to get up to three months out of them before needing a redo (which is why salons do not like them) and when they are redone, your color will not continue to migrate to the high/low lighted level. Typically block highlighting incorporates 3 different levels or tonal qualities, one of the three usually is your natural canvas but it doesn't have to be.

Their are 2 secrets to successful block coloring. First is the size of the 'cat eye' section on the top of the head for one length cuts and for layers 2 small vertical sections at the front of the face. The cat eye section creates a veil of color and determines how subtle or dramatic it will be. The larger the section the thicker the veil the more subtle it will be.

On layers those 2 small vertical sections, one on either side of the face, are blended with the color of the sections behind them. This gives a more natural look and seemless transition into the entire color.

kitcatsmeow
September 23rd, 2012, 07:30 AM
Definitely go for a veggie dye, Directions, Manic Panic etc in an orange shade. Over your current shade, it will come out most similarly to the third picture. I would dilute it a bit with conditioner and perhaps mix orange dye with yellow to achieve that yellowy tone. I've used henna in the past and it just dulled down the orange that veggie dyes give.

I would dye my hair myself but I'm too nervous. I used to bleach my own regrowth but I think because at the moment I have SO many different colors in my hair, I really need a professional .

Sorry, that's my bad, when I saw the other posts mentioning henna, I was thinking that's what you were after (even though I DID read your first post, lol)

I think you're sensible not to go for henna, I'm growing mine out at the moment, and as you say, it's hard to predict the outcome (and easy to go too dark unintentionally)
I don't know so much about chemical color, because the most I've ever used is the semi permanents without peroxide (I'm doing this at the moment to help hide the henna) but I know a permanent can lighten your hair several shades. TBH I'd go for one of these myself, except my scalp is so sensitive and gets so itchy anyway, I don't want to risk it. But I totally think you can have great looking hair that's also dyed chemically

No prob lol. I wish I could do henna for the benefits but I'm way to finicky with color.
After reading replies and researching a bit more I think I will have to highlight all over then color to get the desired effect. And I'l probably have to go back again to get highlights this way as it grows out I can hopefully just highlight/red light to blend.
My hairdresser has been using a very low volume developer and I go in fully coated in coconut oil so I have noticed NO damage. In fact my hair feels pretty incredible!

My vote would be to go with dimensional block highlights using the first 2 color samples in your first post. They are quicker, eaier to maintain and need less maintenance than traditional highlights. Typically you are able to get up to three months out of them before needing a redo (which is why salons do not like them) and when they are redone, your color will not continue to migrate to the high/low lighted level. Typically block highlighting incorporates 3 different levels or tonal qualities, one of the three usually is your natural canvas but it doesn't have to be.

This is what I have been doing but the effect is not dramatic enough for me for me. The level my hair is now I don't think the shades would show up which is why I need to highlight I think. Had I done this FIRST before messing around with lowlights I would have been all set but noooo. I just had no idea what I really wanted to do with my hair when I first set out to change it I just new I wanted a change...

Their are 2 secrets to successful block coloring. First is the size of the 'cat eye' section on the top of the head for one length cuts and for layers 2 small vertical sections at the front of the face. The cat eye section creates a veil of color and determines how subtle or dramatic it will be. The larger the section the thicker the veil the more subtle it will be.

On layers those 2 small vertical sections, one on either side of the face, are blended with the color of the sections behind them. This gives a more natural look and seemless transition into the entire color.

afu
September 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
My little sister has hair naturally the same as the last picture, but she colours it darker with box dye. I'm inclined to suggest trying some henna/cassia glosses - but then you would be restricted in future if you didn't get the colour you wanted. Could you get a consultation at the salon just to get some opinions, consultations are often free

fairview
September 23rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
Since I am still on the forum......

First, I would suggest a color correction to your entire canvas. This could be as simple as going in with equal parts of lightener and shampoo and processing for no more than 10 or 15 minutes or it may be as involved as treating individual sections. If you intend on moving down more than 2 levels you will need to repigment the lifted highlights. Lifting them has removed the melanin and without that in place, there is nothing for the new color to grab a hold of.

If you are referring to you current pics as dimensional block highlighting, IMO I would strongly disagree. You appear to be in layers or at least in the process of growing the layers out and from what I can see you have chunky vertical highlights.

When I do dimensional blocks on layers, I will only have a total of 6 equal vertical sections (not counting the two mini verticals at the front), 3 on each side of the head. If my guest wants a subtle effect I will use tonals at the same level from adjacent dominant colors on the color wheel or the same tone except at no more than 1 perhaps 2 levels up or down from the canvas level.

If my guest wants to make a bolder color statement I can go across the wheel and use a complemetary color or I will skip one or two dominant colors up or down on the wheel.

There is a difference between vertical highlights on layers and dimensional block highlights on layers. Your stylist may think they are dimensional blocks but they aren't. If you were in Dallas, I could make you happy with a great look. You have great hair and a great cut.