PDA

View Full Version : Extremely tangled ends after trim?

CaitlinMarie93
September 22nd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Hello, all! I have this problem that is seriously driving me bonkers. I got a 3/4 inch trim a few days ago and ever since my ends have been extremely tangled. I have never experienced this before. I can comb the top beautifully but as soon as it reaches the bottom 2 inches of my hair, it is one tangled mess. What is going on? I just had a trim so I sure hope I don't need to cut any more hair off. My only theory is that I may be using too much coconut oil in my ends. I just bought my first tub of it and I am still trying to figure out the best way to use it. Could coconut oil be the cause of these awful tangles? :confused: Any advice is appreciated because the daily battle between my lovely tangles and comb is sure getting old :)

spidermom
September 22nd, 2012, 02:40 PM
It could be product-related. Try a clarifying wash (with clarifying shampoo or baking water solution) followed by deep conditioning.

Madora
September 22nd, 2012, 05:07 PM
Hello, all! I have this problem that is seriously driving me bonkers. I got a 3/4 inch trim a few days ago and ever since my ends have been extremely tangled. I have never experienced this before. I can comb the top beautifully but as soon as it reaches the bottom 2 inches of my hair, it is one tangled mess. What is going on? I just had a trim so I sure hope I don't need to cut any more hair off. My only theory is that I may be using too much coconut oil in my ends. I just bought my first tub of it and I am still trying to figure out the best way to use it. Could coconut oil be the cause of these awful tangles? :confused: Any advice is appreciated because the daily battle between my lovely tangles and comb is sure getting old :)

Yes, it sounds like the coconut oil could be the culprit. This type of oil is heavier and some members have complained of "crunchy ends" when it is used too much. It should be used sparingly..pea sized ball or less.

If I were you, I'd switch to mineral oil which is very lightweight and is a great detangler. It also helps moisturize your hair and helps tames frizzies.

Use it very sparingly..just a drop or two on your palms and fingers, then run your palms down through your hair several times until the sheen has almost vanished.

Johnson and Johnson's baby oil works for me (contains only MO plus a fragrance. Additives make it less effective).

Also, how you use your comb to detangle can make a huge difference. This might be of interest:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=230

Also, consider that everything that you put on your hair leaves a trace behind. I'd limit oiling as oil tends to attract anything that's bourne on the wind to your hair.

lapushka
September 22nd, 2012, 06:02 PM
Seconding spidermom's recommendation for a clarifying wash, and agreeing with Madora that oil should be used sparingly.

CaitlinMarie93
September 22nd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Thank you! I will definitely try clarifying on my next wash day and will use a drop of mineral oil. And thank you, Madora for the wonderful article on detangling! It will sure come in handy. You guys are the best :D

Madora
September 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM
Thank you! I will definitely try clarifying on my next wash day and will use a drop of mineral oil. And thank you, Madora for the wonderful article on detangling! It will sure come in handy. You guys are the best :D

Glad I could help, CaitlinMarie93!

Miss Catrina
September 24th, 2012, 10:43 PM
It could also be that the scissors weren't properly sharp and left your ends frazzled.