PDA

View Full Version : Is it all yours?

Iaine
September 22nd, 2012, 08:00 AM
I seem to get this question all the time. The last time I had my hair straightened at the salon, one of the stylists actually asked me if the hair flowing down my back was mine (as in not extensions). :rolleyes: Does anyone else get this reaction?

OilPaint
September 22nd, 2012, 08:02 AM
I get this question alot when I wear my hair down.
I'm always tempted to say, "Nope! I stole it!"

*Rose Red*
September 22nd, 2012, 08:34 AM
Or I say: yes, I grew by myself. :)

Iaine
September 22nd, 2012, 08:44 AM

Haha! That's a good one. I wonder how someone would react if I actually said that.

Madora
September 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Yes, when I wore it down..or even when I braided it in my multi braided braid, people asked if it was all mine..or real. One dear lady thought I was wearing a wig.

Amber_Maiden
September 22nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
Yep. People can't believe I have thick hair like I have.

Long_hair_bear
September 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM

I can see you getting that question, oilpaint! I wish I got it.

cwarren
September 22nd, 2012, 10:02 AM
My hair isn't even that long and I get that question when I wear it straight. I just say yes. I understand why it is so hard to believe; a lot of people turn to extensions instead of caring for their real hair.

theemeraldskull
September 22nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
I have had that question a few times. :-) A few people have asked me if I color my hair as well, which I never have.

We are a culture built on instant gratification... it is strange to many people that someone would *be able* to care for their hair and go through the looooong growing process. There are many people who are somewhat jealous of my "patience" because they feel they wouldn't be able to withstand it. :P

lapushka
September 22nd, 2012, 05:45 PM
I've had that question asked of me, luckily only once as it bugs me to no end (no, I don't consider it a compliment, especially not when said with a snide tone).

Vanille_
September 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
My hair is waist level and I've never gotten asked :(

fairhairedthing
September 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
I used to get that a lot when my hair was longer. Everyone who's anyone seems to either wear or be tempted to wear extensions (awful for hair, omg!!) and you just can't tell who's hair is legit or not anymore. :(

CurlyCap
September 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM
Yup. Naturally long hair is really rare in some parts of the country.

Also, it might be a hair type thing. Pretty much when I passed shoulder curly, people started commenting on my hair again. I know when it was waist to hip, people asked if it was real all the time.

Just respond that it's all your hair and let it be. And if they try to touch it, drop kick them. :D

Seeshami
September 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
I haven't gotten "is it yours?" or "where do you get your extensions?" in a long time. Right now people are more inclined to the "How long is your hair?" and "Do you do your hair yourself?"

Natalia
September 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
No but i hardly ever wear my hair down. If someone did say that to me id be temped to say something sarcastic "no my pet beaver loaned it to me :)" lol

Ambystoma
September 22nd, 2012, 09:53 PM
I think those comments are awkward compliments in a way, I mean if you wear extensions and they start to look damaged you can just throw them away and buy a new, nice looking set plus a lot of celebrities use them to add thickness, as well as length so to my mind they're saying "Wow your hair looks so thick and healthy!". Maybe people are too shy to just say the compliment because they've said it to someone with extensions before and got laughed at for being gullible?

bunnylake
September 22nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
Someone asked me that last Winter when my hair was just above waist length. She just came up behind me, grabbed onto my hair and said "is this yours?" It took me a moment to realize what she meant, and I said yes it is my hair. She said "lucky b*tch" and just walked away. LOL um, okay??

Tisiloves
September 22nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
Yes, more if I have it up and they've seen it down actually, I suppose straight hair looks thinner down so it makes a bigger impression in a bun.

Mesmerise
September 22nd, 2012, 11:31 PM
Never been asked, myself ;). But I DO find it weird that a stylist who is STRAIGHTENING YOUR HAIR would need to ask. Duh... isn't it obvious there are no extensions??

Shepherdess
September 23rd, 2012, 12:15 AM
I remember someone asking me that once when I went shopping and had left my hair out in a braid. A lady asked if it was all mine, but then said again right after, "it is so thick and long, it can't be extensions"! I didn't know what extensions were at the time, so I had only smiled and said I didn't know what that was. :p

spookyghost
September 23rd, 2012, 05:57 AM
I would love if someone asked me that question!:D I havent gotten any hair compliments since I had spiral perms on almost waist length hair-about 20 years ago. Now Im depressed. I havent had anyone say anything nice about my hair in 20 years!:(

Oh I just realized that maybe you didnt take Is it all yours as a compliment. Im sorry. I know everyones different but I would have taken it as a compliment.

Tota
September 23rd, 2012, 06:26 AM
I usually wear a topknot and it's tiny so I guess people assume my hair is shorter when I wear my hair up. I wore my hair down the other day and my bf's cousin said "Why are you wearing extensions, it's not a special occasion!" Hahaha. I just put my hair in a topknot right there in front of her and that seemed to calm her down. What a weirdo.

Savvyhorsez
September 23rd, 2012, 06:50 AM
I personally have never gotten asked, I see both sides of it being a compliment, and not being one depending on the tone of voice, but I do joke that I need to look into getting extensions.:D

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2012, 07:02 AM
Its been a while since I've heard that one. Is it all yours? I used to say yes and it took lots of effort.

melusine963
September 23rd, 2012, 07:20 AM
The mind boggles at a stylist who can't tell the difference between real hair and extensions. Surely the lack of clips would be a bit of a giveaway? Sadly, my hair is far too thin and frizzy for anyone to think I'd paid money for it. :(

Iaine
September 23rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
Never been asked, myself ;). But I DO find it weird that a stylist who is STRAIGHTENING YOUR HAIR would need to ask. Duh... isn't it obvious there are no extensions??

It was actually a different stylist. My stylist was so proud, she was showing me off, and that's when he asked. I wasn't sure whether I should be offended.

Iaine
September 23rd, 2012, 08:01 AM
I would love if someone asked me that question!:D I havent gotten any hair compliments since I had spiral perms on almost waist length hair-about 20 years ago. Now Im depressed. I havent had anyone say anything nice about my hair in 20 years!:(

Oh I just realized that maybe you didnt take Is it all yours as a compliment. Im sorry. I know everyones different but I would have taken it as a compliment.

I didn't really know how to feel, but I brushed it off because everyone else was busy complimenting me on how long and pretty my hair was. I guess it's a little shocking when a curly haired client comes in with shrunken SL hair and leaves with BSL hair (and that was after the trim).

sharonluvscats
September 23rd, 2012, 08:25 AM
Someone asked me that last Winter when my hair was just above waist length. She just came up behind me, grabbed onto my hair and said "is this yours?" It took me a moment to realize what she meant, and I said yes it is my hair. She said "lucky b*tch" and just walked away. LOL um, okay??

O_O wow. You gotta love New Yorkers! lol

Dovetail
September 23rd, 2012, 09:16 AM
I haven't gotten any comments or questions yet. I'm sort of excited for if I ever do, is that odd? I don't even know what I'd say, but even if it was something rude they said to me inside I'd be excited because it means people would be noticing how long my hair is *-* I'm not growing it out to impress people, but it doesn't hurt to stroke a girls ego once in a while.

I think if I got asked ALL THE TIME I'd get annoyed too though, so I can totally understand the other P.O.V

spirals
September 23rd, 2012, 09:50 AM
I never get asked that, but I do get asked, "Is that [my curly texture] natural?" Either way, it's a compliment.
melusine963, I think frizz can be pretty in an angelic way. And that bun in your avtar is envy-producing.

RavenBaby
September 23rd, 2012, 10:09 AM
The mind boggles at a stylist who can't tell the difference between real hair and extensions. Surely the lack of clips would be a bit of a giveaway? Sadly, my hair is far too thin and frizzy for anyone to think I'd paid money for it. :(

Well the glue-in ones and others look and feel extremely real, I mean look at britney spears lol

PerkyCurlz
September 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
People ask me this when I wear my hair down, probably because my hair is so think and curly. People also ask if my curls are natural. I tell them it's a "God perm". :misskim:

Rufflebutt
September 23rd, 2012, 01:08 PM
All of the time. "Are you wearing extensions?" "Is that a wig?" "Are you sure that's all real?"

No, I'm not sure. An elf came and glued in some hair extensions while I was sleeping last night. :rolleyes:

I've had people actually feel my scalp for tracks before. And it's only at hip!

maborosi
September 23rd, 2012, 01:46 PM
I can't believe how snippy some people get over this question. Unless they're accusatory, then I can see the defensiveness. But man.

I usually get questions about the texture. It usually goes something like:

"Did you blow dry it straight?"
"No."
"Whaaa- it grows like that?"
"Yeah~"
"That is really cool~!"
"Thanks! But I think your hair is really pretty too!"

I take all those as a compliment. I've gotten the extensions question once.

~maborosi~

Iaine
September 23rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
All of the time. "Are you wearing extensions?" "Is that a wig?" "Are you sure that's all real?"

No, I'm not sure. An elf came and glued in some hair extensions while I was sleeping last night. :rolleyes:

That's insane! I wouldn't want someone's hands in my hair, at least not without my permission.

terylenerose
September 23rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
I haven't ever been asked if my hair was all mine, but I have gotten the "are your curls natural?" question a lot. It's always a compliment of some form or other, so I don't mind.

I love that explanation. :)

That seems kind of rude. Was this after they'd already asked you, or did they just come up to you and start feeling you up out of the blue? Either way, I don't like the sound of it, at least assuming you hadn't already given them permission or weren't okay with it.

Kristin
September 23rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Yep. I've actually had students stare at my scalp, looking for tracks (like for a weave).

bunnylake
September 23rd, 2012, 09:25 PM
I don't think it's rude to ask if our hair is real, necessarily, but the staring/touching is just rude. SO RUDE. This reminds me of an incident that occurred when I was a teenager. I was really punky/goth and shaved the sides of my head and dyed the rest of my hair red and black. I went to the bus stop to get my little sister one afternoon, and one of the other childrens moms started touching my head... feeling my shaved sides and all... while staring with a horrified look on her face. I was like... SERIOUSLY? Even if something looks bizarre or unusual to a person, that doesn't give them the right to isolate you or make you feel like you're some kind of animal on display at the zoo. Geez.
Ok, end of thread hijack! :cheese:

piffyanne
September 24th, 2012, 12:44 AM
People ask me this when I wear my hair down, probably because my hair is so think and curly. People also ask if my curls are natural. I tell them it's a "God perm". :misskim:
:crush: I'll have to use that if I figure out how to get my curls to work again!

The length is stopping all but the incoming babyhairs from expressing their real texture. I look pretty weird right now.:demon:

leslissocool
September 24th, 2012, 12:51 AM
All the time :cheese: some even actually posed it on my facebook after they saw me in person. It seems like the longer it gets, the nicer it looks the more people believe it's extensions. My hair was very damaged for so long though so I see why people who haven't seen im in a long time would ask. It's a lot more odd when I get asked by strangers.

Mesmerise
September 24th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Well the glue-in ones and others look and feel extremely real, I mean look at britney spears lol

I figure that while the hair may look real, up close you're gonna see the roots and stuff, and that would be a dead give away. Until they glue individual strands on individual strands and make it look exactly like regular hair, I'd figure a stylist would be able to see pretty quickly whether the hair is real or not ;).

piffyanne
September 24th, 2012, 02:12 AM
All the time :cheese: some even actually posed it on my facebook after they saw me in person. It seems like the longer it gets, the nicer it looks the more people believe it's extensions. My hair was very damaged for so long though so I see why people who haven't seen im in a long time would ask. It's a lot more odd when I get asked by strangers.
I seem to get the "is it all yours?" question more when it's up. I guess the braids going around and around and around and around starts getting into "yeah, right." territory.

Mostly, though, I get "did you do that yourself?" And I mean ALL the TIME. As if a college-age girl has the time or money to get her hair professionally done before classes every day.:rolleyes:

I always wonder at what length people stop getting the "is it all yours?" question--I mean, there has to be a length where it just CAN'T be extensions, due to sheer cost or difficulty to find a supplier. Even if you find a supplier for the extreme lengths, though, maybe buying hair off a woman from India, (or elsewhere, maybe China, I'm not making a stereotypical reference, it's just where I tend to hear about women with long hair being more common:)) who's been growing it her whole LIFE, and then we're talking hundreds or thousands for hair that would be waaay too heavy for your scalp hair to suddenly support without guaranteed hairloss.

So, again, not likely you're wearing it.

Has anyone STOPPED getting asked if it's extensions, and at what length did you notice the questions stopping?

AutumnLocks
September 24th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I have never gotten that question about my hair. I did get it when I wore acrylic nails though. My answer about the nails when asked if they were mine was..."Darn right they're mine! I paid good money for them!" lol

Maverick494
September 24th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Has anyone STOPPED getting asked if it's extensions, and at what length did you notice the questions stopping?

I think TB and beyond is basically the territory people start realizing it can't be extensions because of the reasons you mentioned. Worn loose that is.

I have never gotten that question about my hair. I did get it when I wore acrylic nails though. My answer about the nails when asked if they were mine was..."Darn right they're mine! I paid good money for them!" lol

LOL good answer hahaha

As for me, I get it too, but I see it as a compliment. I have naturally what so many people think you can only achieve through artificial means. I was talking to this employee at a beauty supply store and she also asked me if it was all mine. I said yes, she said she was never able to grow her hair past shoulder.

I explained to her that I didn't get it for free (started out as a severely damaged bleach blonde APL) and how I went about growing it to it's current length (a little past WL). I got a free Chanel lipstick normally reserved for people who spend more than $50 (I spent $15) as a thank you :cool: :cheese:

leslissocool
September 24th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I seem to get the "is it all yours?" question more when it's up. I guess the braids going around and around and around and around starts getting into "yeah, right." territory.

Mostly, though, I get "did you do that yourself?" And I mean ALL the TIME. As if a college-age girl has the time or money to get her hair professionally done before classes every day.:rolleyes:

I always wonder at what length people stop getting the "is it all yours?" question--I mean, there has to be a length where it just CAN'T be extensions, due to sheer cost or difficulty to find a supplier. Even if you find a supplier for the extreme lengths, though, maybe buying hair off a woman from India, (or elsewhere, maybe China, I'm not making a stereotypical reference, it's just where I tend to hear about women with long hair being more common:)) who's been growing it her whole LIFE, and then we're talking hundreds or thousands for hair that would be waaay too heavy for your scalp hair to suddenly support without guaranteed hairloss.

So, again, not likely you're wearing it.

This is a very good point actually. Maybe knee?

RileyJane
September 24th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Its funny because about a year ago my hair was barely to my collarbone, and one day I got clip in extensions ( came to the middle of my ribs) and wore them. Not ONE person thought they were fake, even people I see everyday! they just thought i was having a good hair day. it just made me wonder haha....

CTH3989
September 24th, 2012, 07:41 PM
I seem to get this question all the time. The last time I had my hair straightened at the salon, one of the stylists actually asked me if the hair flowing down my back was mine (as in not extensions). :rolleyes: Does anyone else get this reaction?

I got that reaction for the first time (in a long time), today. It caught me off guard and I almost didn't know what to say.

Loviatar
September 25th, 2012, 06:21 AM
I get a kind of opposite to this. I have a shaggy chin length bob, and I sometimes wear a clip-in ponytail which I made. Whenever I wear it, people tell me how great my hair looks - and I mean friends, not strangers. I wore it to a wedding this month and the number of people I thanked for the compliment, but I then explained it was fake, was astounding. The number of people who were surprised by this 'revelation' was even more so. Everyone was shocked to hear it was fake hair. I don't consider my friends stupid, but how can they think a nearly BSL-ponytail is my real hair when they see me day to day with a shaggy bob?!

BelleBot
September 25th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I get asked a lot if I have extensions if my hair is down. They're very popular here in Liverpool so I guess it's understandable. However I'm quick to point out that you don't get thigh length extensions, or at least I've never seen them.

MegaMystery
September 25th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I someday hope to be at the length at which people start to ask me that (now barely APL) :)
But for now, it's only the: 'do you do that all by yourself??' (when I wear a crownbraid or an otherwise braided style)

Bagginslover
September 25th, 2012, 07:44 AM
I used to get that too when I wore nail extensions (which I did myself too), and I'd answer the same-yes, they are mine! Unless they specifically asked if I grew them, I could answer to mislead-'are they real?' Why yes they are real ;)

I've not had the hair extensions comments yet, but I can't wait til I do, I'll be all 'oh crap, thats not mine!! Where did that come from!?!!' hehe!!

hermosamendoza
September 25th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Years ago I got asked that but I was wearing a clip-in. I was going to say lie and say yes but my sister snorted and said "no it's a clip in" like stupid girl wearing fake hair.....but the same girl who snorted and laughed at me went to beauty school and ends up wearing hair extensions for a while.

But I didn't wear the clip ins for long. They gave me horrible headaches. Can't wait to get my beautiful natural hair long long long :)

melusine963
September 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM
But for now, it's only the: 'do you do that all by yourself??' (when I wear a crownbraid or an otherwise braided style)

Same here. I had a hairdresser ask me if I did my hair myself. All I was wearing was an English braid (albeit Torrin's 'fake' one that looked similar to a French braid)! I would have taken it as a compliment if she hadn't shown such thinkly-veiled disapproval for how long my hair really was when I unbraided it.

ArienEllariel
September 25th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I someday hope to be at the length at which people start to ask me that (now barely APL) :)

I get that when I do modified heidi braids... and I'm like, yeah.... they're just braids that I've pinned up. People get really awestruck sometimes by the simplest things. lol

elea
September 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM
change hair salon?
a hair dresser that does not know real from extensions...
???

piffyanne
September 25th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I get a kind of opposite to this. I have a shaggy chin length bob, and I sometimes wear a clip-in ponytail which I made. Whenever I wear it, people tell me how great my hair looks - and I mean friends, not strangers. I wore it to a wedding this month and the number of people I thanked for the compliment, but I then explained it was fake, was astounding. The number of people who were surprised by this 'revelation' was even more so. Everyone was shocked to hear it was fake hair. I don't consider my friends stupid, but how can they think a nearly BSL-ponytail is my real hair when they see me day to day with a shaggy bob?!

You mean you DON'T wear a wig on a daily basis and bring out your long hair only on rare special occasions?!?!??:rolleyes:

truepeacenik
September 25th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Puffy, I actually did that for a couple years when I covered my hair. I had one wig that was brushing shoulders. I sold it after a year and a half and went to scarves.
As I stopped covering, I got lots of comments.

AineMuirne
September 26th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I don't think I've ever been asked if I have extensions. But I have been asked MANY times if I straighten my hair/if it's naturally straight. That's not as obvious, although the health of my hair is a pretty good indicator that I don't straighten. I'd take it as a compliment if someone asked if I have extensions, but with how fine my hair is, it's probably apparent that it couldn't possibly be extensions because the clips would be obvious.