PDA

View Full Version : Feelng discouraged

LovemyOnyx
September 21st, 2012, 09:14 PM
Hi all. I've been feeling a little discouraged for the last week or so. I know that it takes time for your hair to grow and I'm trying to be patient, but I guess when you see it every day it never seems to be getting longer. I've been sticking to everything I started back at the beginning of July...not washing it every day, braiding it at night, letting it air dry, and putting coconut oil on it twice a week or so. It does feel and look a LOT better, but I feel like it's not growing very fast. My nails grow like crazy, so I don't get why my hair never seems to get any longer. Am I just being impatient? Surely I'm not the only one who has felt like this...thanks for letting me complain..:)

Chimom79
September 21st, 2012, 09:35 PM
You certainly are not the only one who feels this way at times. It will take a while for your hair to get healthier and for you to notice growth. Hair goes through months where it will grow nicely, and then it will have months that it kinda stalls. You may be in a stall right now. More likely you just dont really notice the growth that is happening. Sounds like you are doing well by your hair so you are on the right path. Patience is hard though, I know.

LovemyOnyx
September 21st, 2012, 09:45 PM
I can finally tuck my bangs behind my ear, which I couldn't do last month, so I guess that's something..:)

katfemme89
September 21st, 2012, 10:00 PM
Do you take any hair, skin, & nail vitamins? I have found that those helped a bit. Also, wear your hair in an updo quite often. I find that this helps... two weeks of updos and then when I finally wear it down it's like WOW, it grew!

Silverbrumby
September 21st, 2012, 10:28 PM
Patience but in the mean time try to find fun ways to put it up and/or out of the way. Combs, clips, flowers, toys, head bands or whatever else takes your fancy.

cheryl888
September 22nd, 2012, 03:09 AM
I have the same problem, i want it to grow so bad but it seems to be taking forever, doesn't help that i measure it every few days (i'm very impatient)

Allychan
September 22nd, 2012, 03:29 AM
Have you taken the much needed photo of the back of your hair/head in a striped shirt? Really is the only way to see actual growth. I don't look at the back of my head (with a mirror) until it is photo day on the same day each month. It really is the most exciting day of my month!!

Avital88
September 22nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
i think everyone that is growing their hair has this feeling, i had the same a few years ago, but i let it go and dont stress about it anymore, eventually it will grow anyway.
Be good for it and you will be paid back in luscious locks.
Patience ,no damaging things and a healthy lifestyle are the keys, and if it wasnt that hard to get nice hair it wouldnt be as special to have it :)

MeowScat
September 22nd, 2012, 05:57 AM
I agree with everyone that posted!

I've been through this so many times. Stop looking at it, put it up, take pics, etc!

If you look at your length every single day for months or years, you won't notice a difference. But if you look at it for the first time in months...wow!

For example, my aunt visits once a year. The moment I walk through the door she says, "wow, your hair is SO much longer than it was last year!"

I never believe her until she shows me pics she took of me last year. I don't notice my progress because I see my hair in the mirror everyday.

If you wear it up in a braid or bun, you can't look at the length constantly. I've gone through this so many times over the years.

It's hard not to look at your growth, but it can make you feel like it's not happening if you check it often. I have found, through years of trial and error, that if you wear updos and don't constantly look at it, then *BAM!* I gained length.

jacqueline101
September 22nd, 2012, 06:56 AM
Everyone has been in your shoes. We all get discouraged when our growth isn't where we think it should be. Patients is something you will need lots of and up dos help. Pictures of the back of the head while wearing a striped shirt. Pictures are more accurate then measuring with a tape.

gillybeanxo3921
September 22nd, 2012, 07:13 AM
I've found it's easier to find little things to look forward to. Mini milestones http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41971 there's a thread about it, too. Like if you're growing out bangs, a mini milestone would be when they're down to your chin. I look for those a lot, they make it easier to notice growth.

When I get anxious, I look up new updo's to practice, new hair toys on etsy, new shampoos & condishs to try, and just braid my hair a lot.

You'll see growth I promise!

Madora
September 22nd, 2012, 07:58 AM
Having patience while growing longer is hard, but it is half the battle.

Wearing your hair up, as others have mentioned, is a good way to help matters along (i.e. out of sight, out of mind).

In the meantime, if you don't already, you might want to try daily scalp massage (be sure to detangle before and after). Keep being kind to your hair and you'll see the results in the mirror.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a day!

Iaine
September 22nd, 2012, 08:04 AM
I get this feeling all the time, especially seeing all the gorgeous heads of hair here. I can't wait until my hair gets shockingly long, but waiting for my bangs to grow out will just have to do for now.

catamonica
September 22nd, 2012, 09:20 AM
I had a two year stall at waist. In November 2011, I started wearing my hair up. It's now at hip. Hope this helps. And welcome to TLHC!

spidermom
September 22nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Yes, you're being impatient.
When I felt that way, I would put my hair up without looking at it every day. I only allowed myself to check the length once a month. Then I could see progress. Try that!

And keep yourself busy with other things.

skyblue
September 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
Yes, you're being impatient.
When I felt that way, I would put my hair up without looking at it every day. I only allowed myself to check the length once a month. Then I could see progress. Try that!

And keep yourself busy with other things.

Yep I was gonna say the same thing!! I check mine once a month only and always around the same time of the month, pick a date, then stick to it, it always surprises me every month lol and by doing that I now know that I do grow at least a half an inch regularly ;)

LovemyOnyx
September 23rd, 2012, 02:33 PM
Thank you guys so much..:) I've been wearing it up quite a bit and yesterday a friend who hasn't seen me in a few months said it was quite a bit longer, so that made me happy. I'll definitely start doing the striped shirt picture once a month! Thanks again..you all are great! :D

shutterpillar
September 23rd, 2012, 03:43 PM
The best thing I could ever do for myself was to stop worrying about it. When I first joined here - like the first three months or so - it was a bit frustrating seeing SO MUCH gorgeous long hair in one place and looking at my measly little APL hair everyday. My goal seemed SO far off, and I swore it was just never growing.

Now I am a bit past BSL and it seemed like it just jumped out at me one day. I stopped paying attention and stressing so much over my hair, then BAM! BSL all of a sudden. I suppose having a busy life helped a little bit, but I chalk most of it up to benign neglect and focusing on other hobbies.

After reading your most recent post you sound as though you feel a bit better, but I just wanted to sympathize and say i've been there. You WILL reach your goals in time. :) Just stop thinking so hard about it. :hollie: