PDA

View Full Version : Aubrey Glycogen Protein conditioner weirdness

winship2
September 21st, 2012, 09:10 PM
I started using the Aubrey GPB conditioner earlier this week, along with my usual Nature's Gate Herbal shampoo, and four days later my hair is feeling... weird. A little coated on the ends, a little tangly, and I feel like I need to clarify. Is this the protein in the conditioner? I have 1b hair, usually pretty easy care but it's been almost 4 months since my last trim and I want to keep going till the middle of October, so I thought I'd move to a richer conditioner. I guess my hair doesn't feel quite natural and clean. So many people here love AO, but anyone recognize these symptoms?

I'm going out of town for four days tomorrow and don't have any clarifying shampoo here. I thought maybe I'd do a diluted ACV rinse twice in the shower tomorrow to see if I can clean off some of the build-up feeling. Any thoughts?

Hollyfire3
September 21st, 2012, 09:25 PM
ACV will really only help with hard water, it is not a clarifyier. If you need to, take some diluted shampoo (highly diluted) and use it only on your scalp then deep condition, your hair should feel cleaner and be moisturized too.

winship2
September 21st, 2012, 09:34 PM
ACV will really only help with hard water, it is not a clarifyier. If you need to, take some diluted shampoo (highly diluted) and use it only on your scalp then deep condition, your hair should feel cleaner and be moisturized too.

Really? A deep condition will help? Like, the diluted wash then condition with Nature's Gate, get out of the shower, make a pot of coffee, catch up on the news, and get back in the shower and rinse? Or do I have to use a certain kind of conditioner (and if so what do you recommend)?

I just put on several drops of argan oil before braiding for the night. Would that act as a conditioner? My hair routine is usually so minimal, there's a lot of basic stuff I don't know :confused:

Hollyfire3
September 21st, 2012, 10:26 PM
Really? A deep condition will help? Like, the diluted wash then condition with Nature's Gate, get out of the shower, make a pot of coffee, catch up on the news, and get back in the shower and rinse? Or do I have to use a certain kind of conditioner (and if so what do you recommend)?

I just put on several drops of argan oil before braiding for the night. Would that act as a conditioner? My hair routine is usually so minimal, there's a lot of basic stuff I don't know :confused:

A deep conditioning will help a lot of things. Is your hair feeling hard and brittle or just gunky? The diluted clarifying deep conditioning will help either way. If your hair is both brittle and gunky, be sure to read the conditioner ingredients and avoid anything with protien in the first 4-5 ingredients. The brittleness means you most likely need some moisture, your hair may not like the protein in the AO. Anyways...for the deep conditioner, use what you already know your hair likes (not the AO) and use maybe 3 tablespoons of this and a half tablespoon oil (of your choice), microwave it for 10 seconds to warm it up and apply after rinsing out the diluted shampoo. Then yes, go on with your day, get back in the shower and rinse. Your can then air dry with a bit of aragan oil if you'd like. In answer to your question, oil doesn't really "condition" it locks in the moisture your hair already has, but you have to put some moisture in there first, then seal it with the oil. This routine should fix most problems you are having. The diluted shampoo will get out the gunk without stripping your hair, then the deep conditioner puts in moisture that your hair needs. Its a simple fix and be sure to use a conditioner you know works, you will be fine. :)

edit: I just read you have no clarifying shampoos, alright, instead, take a shampoo you know leaves your hair feeling cleaner then usual and dilute that (a penny size of shampoo and the rest water in a small bottle) to use instead, sorry for not reading all of it

owlathena
September 21st, 2012, 11:03 PM
Whenever I try to use AO conditioners they make my hair feel coated and yucky and more tangled. I can use them diluted in a spray bottle as a detangler, but not as a regular rinse-out conditioner.

ETA: I don't think its the protein per se, since I've tried a couple AO conditioners that didn't have protein and they still made my hair weird. And protein overload doesn't make my hair feel coated, it just makes it feel brittle.

winship2
September 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks guys. I won't be able to report back since I will be out of wireless range for four days (the horror!), but I appreciate the advice and bet I can maybe borrow my housemate's more aggressive shampoo, condition with Nature's Gate, and do fine. Thanks!