PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair grow unevenly?

Greenfire
September 21st, 2012, 07:45 PM
My hairdresser in the past has accused me of cutting my own hair because it would be so uneven when I'd see him, one side would be a lot longer than the other, and all of it would be really uneven. I would go every 2 months.

It wasn't until he started seeing my mother that he realised it was a family trait! Her hair grows really slowly, maybe an inch in 4 months, 6 months, something like that. But on one side of her head at the back, it grows normal speed. She'll go in for a trim every 6 months or longer and her hair at the back on one side will be inches longer than the other.

I'm not as noticeable, and my hair grows a lot faster, but I have to wonder if the parts that aren't growing as fast as the others can be made to catch up? I started measuring my growth this last month, and it appears that I grew 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch depending on where you put the measuring tape on my head. (I'm growing out roots, so I'm measuring to the line, not the length of the entire hair, so it's not breakage that makes it uneven, it's growth)

Here's a pic from a couple of days ago: http://i34.servimg.com/u/f34/13/64/99/00/dscn1110.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=76&u=13649900)

You will see that I have a reddish line along my regrowth line. That is because I tried to use a toner to match the lightened part of my hair to the roots previously when I started growing them in, I knew the colour wouldn't last, but didn't know that it would lighten the roots to that reddish colour after it washed out. So this time around I'm staying away from the hairdresser and just letting it grow.

But do you see where the demarcation line is, and how some of the reddish lighten hairs are closer to the scalp and some are further away? It's almost a half inch difference to measure one hair to the next!

Any ideas on how to speed up the other ones? Or am I just to suck it up and let it be?

(I also want to hear if any of you guys have this too?)

Madora
September 21st, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hard to believe that a hairdresser doesn't know that uneven growth is very common.

I have it myself...one side grows faster than the other. No big deal.

Hair grows as fast (or not) as nature intends. You can help it along (a little) with a good diet and good care. Scalp massage might help also...but that's about it.

stew
September 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM
the very center of my hair at the back grows WORLDS faster than the sides. i've been continually trimming the back so that the sides can catch up but they never seem to! it's also a completely different texture and colour than the rest. i've just kind of accepted that i'll always have a thicker, darker, coarser, bushy fox tail growing at the back.

KwaveT
September 21st, 2012, 08:22 PM
My hairs not only have different speeds but hairs curl differently so hair's length can affected by how much curl it has.