PDA

View Full Version : Zooey Deschanel & Pantene Beautiful Lengths Hair Donation Ad

MsBubbles
September 21st, 2012, 07:40 AM
I searched to see if anybody had already belabored this point or not, and couldn't find a thread. Sorry if there already is one.

I saw a Pantene Beautiful Lengths ad last night, featuring the universally-loved Zooey Deschanel. I was zoned out, to be honest, but wondered what on earth she meant by "it shows I care". I saw it again later and realized the whole ad was about Pantene jumping on the 'hair donation for cancer' bandwagon, since it's now fashionable and all. The message I got (right or wrong) from the ad, was: it's only ok to grow your hair if you're gonna chop it off to donate for cancer.

I'm trying to come up with a scathing yet thought-provoking tweet that'll get the message out that it's not shameful if you want to just grow your hair for yourself.

Any suggestions? I mean it's really not the in thing to pick on America's Sweetheart. :lol:

She's very popular and I'm afraid it's going to start a whole new wave of "you don't donate therefore you don't care" accusations.

ETA: I'm now wondering what I saw. I don't think I saw the same thing as some of you are talking about, although I already admitted to having been zoned out. I checked Twitter right after I saw that ad and read a bunch of kids (teens) saying "Zooey's growing her hair to donate for wigs, so I will too!". So I guess it's not just me who got that impression? Perhaps we saw a different ad? In any case, if I was totally wrong about it, it would've been nice if some of you had been gentle about it, pointing out the error of my batty old lady ways instead of ranting and raving to me. :-( How 'bout some KNIT?

Madora
September 21st, 2012, 07:50 AM
I searched to see if anybody had already belabored this point or not, and couldn't find a thread. Sorry if there already is one.

I saw a Pantene Beautiful Lengths ad last night, featuring the universally-loved Zooey Deschanel. I was zoned out, to be honest, but wondered what on earth she meant by "it shows I care". I saw it again later and realized the whole ad was about Pantene jumping on the 'hair donation for cancer' bandwagon, since it's now fashionable and all. The message I got (right or wrong) from the ad, was: it's only ok to grow your hair if you're gonna chop it off to donate for cancer.

I'm trying to come up with a scathing yet thought-provoking tweet that'll get the message out that it's not shameful if you want to just grow your hair for yourself.

Any suggestions? I mean it's really not the in thing to pick on America's Sweetheart. :lol:

She's very popular and I'm afraid it's going to start a whole new wave of "you don't donate therefore you don't care" accusations.

Just because she says something in a commercial doesn't necessarily mean everyone is going to believe her! Pantene paid her (I assume) to be their spokesperson. I would tend to be more impressed if she had said "I care" w/o being hired by Pantene.

For the record, I think the Pantene donation program is worthy of attention...far more so than the Locks of Love bunch!

MsBubbles
September 21st, 2012, 07:53 AM
[COLOR=darkred]Just because she says something in a commercial doesn't necessarily mean everyone is going to believe her!

Haha. Oh if only that were true. My daughter + all her friends plus all my son's female friends practically worship the ground she walks on. They listen to Zooey. The woman has a lot of influence.

Sure, the Beautiful Lengths program is presented well. But that's not my point. My point is, not cutting my hair does not equal "I don't care about people with cancer". With Deschanel showing up in these ads, it's going to get more difficult to fend off accusations.

One message in the ad was that it's ok to grow long hair but only if you're going to donate it.

neko_kawaii
September 21st, 2012, 08:01 AM
Funny, I just saw that ad and thought, "That's not going to go over well on the old LHC."

I suppose my hair isn't long enough or I just don't hang out around the right kind of people. I've never heard, "You should donate your hair." (And I've donated it twice.)

It is none of their business whether you donate your hair or keep it on your head until it falls out of its own accord. But if you have the time to talk to the offender, why not explain what you know about hair donation? You might turn a rude moment into a teachable one.

However, not all people are emotionally attached to their hair. If I hadn't got it into my head to discover what my terminal length is (and I were susceptible to the claims of advertisers) I would be a candidate for this product. The darned stuff grows and I can't be bothered on many levels to maintain that adorable pixie so three years later it is a donatable length again and I have an itch to cut it short. Why not use a product that will prevent the inevitable splits and make more of the length donatable? Heck, if it works you get to enjoy it while it is on your head without the splits.

If you are a life long long hair, the commercial simply isn't directed at you. Ignore it.

bunnylake
September 21st, 2012, 08:08 AM
I wonder if Zooey is going to cut all her hair off and donate it! Hmm!

Yozhik
September 21st, 2012, 08:17 AM
Hmm...I definitely see how someone as influential as Zooey could sway more public opinion toward the charitable nature of hair donations. :hmm:

Maybe you could say something like: "I show I care by donating my money and not my hair." I don't know -- that doesn't quite get the message across that while Pantene Beautiful Lengths is a good cause, you just don't choose to participate. :shrug:

If you see an upswing in people asking you about hair donation, maybe you could say the above line, and otherwise let Zooey influence who she will?

MsBubbles
September 21st, 2012, 08:19 AM

I read a quote somewhere earlier this year that she couldn't do that, because she needed it for her job. :hmm:

neko_kawaii So you were right about the Old LHC. Nobody has ever suggested I donate my hair, either. What made me go hmm in this case is an extremely popular spokesperson, plus the messages in the ad about long hair only being ok if used to donate.

JamieLeigh
September 21st, 2012, 08:19 AM
If you are a life long long hair, the commercial simply isn't directed at you. Ignore it.

This. Unless you're willing to stir up the hornet's nest (I'm assuming it would happen, simply because you fear that tweeting about it would stir it up, and you know your friends better than we do), just ignore it. There are a few people who are grateful for information on donation "charities", but the overwhelming majority don't seem to want advice. If they want to be sheep, let them be sheep. Enjoy doing what YOU LIKE with YOUR HAIR.

And if they see this ad and come to you with it, THEN you can make it a teachable moment.

MsBubbles
September 21st, 2012, 08:22 AM
I like that, Yozhik, thanks! I try to keep my tweets positive (in spite of what I said earlier about scathing, LOL), and if I'm angry I'll sleep on it first.

Nae
September 21st, 2012, 08:25 AM
As far as I remember Pantene is a much better option for hair donation than Locks of Love. It seems weird to have a commercial about it BUT if people are going to donate (and you know they are) I think it is better that they are at least aware that there are other donation places besides Locks of Love out there.

I understand that it is frustrating to have people push longhairs to donate. Just be strong. They can't force you to donate! Really, it would be best to just donate a few bucks to the American Cancer Association (or like organizations) and be able to use that as a trump card if they ask.

"No thanks, I will keep my hair. It is easier for cancer societies to use money anyway and I donate yearly, how about you?"

ETA: You don't have to say that you donate only $5 or whatever.

One more edit: Apparently, Pantene actually distributes wigs for free as opposed to LoL, which charges people on a sliding scale of eligibility so that is at least one thing in their favor.

hermosamendoza
September 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM
I agree pantene's program is more respectable. They actually came out with special "long hair shampoos/conditioner/products" about 4 years ago or so. They weren't pushing anyone to cut their hair but the bottle had a thing on it that said (paraphrasing, it's been a while) part of the procedes from the sale this product will be donated to the long locks program to help women and children with cancer recieve wigs.

They changed the formula soon after making it and changed the packaging so I quit using it because it wasn't as good. Now that I think of it, when they made all the changes it didn't have the donation sticker on it anymore. But it used to be the purple and white bottle.

Who was the country singer that recently shaved her head for her beast friend that has breast cancer? I don't know I just heard about it lst week on the radio.

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2012, 09:18 AM
I am having much ambivalence about this.

With all the push/movement towards human rights as far as one's own body goes, how can they take the stance that "if you don't, you are bad." ?

Blood donation is a similar thing, it is among "renewable donatable things". A kidney does not fall into that category. Stem cells and blood products, as well as hair do. So does money.The money doesn't do much if no one ever donates hair. (Perhaps one day cloning technology will allow hair to be grown for such purposes.) Are we made to feel guilty if we don't? MADE to feel guilty? Can someone actually MAKE you feel guilty? Just thinking out loud here.

While a wig for a bald cancer patient can greatly help in coping for that person, it is not like they will die without a wig. So where is the guilt, exactly?

BUT if you are going to cut anyway, it is a shame to throw it away.

On the flip side, compassion is a good thing. As long as the organization does not profit from the donations, I don't see much wrong with them pressing people to donate to a good cause. What is the worst that can happen? Someone goes to cut their hair to donate when they would otherwise not cut? People purposely growing just to donate? I would never discourage my child from that if she saw that woman's ad and was moved (by her influence) to do that. I would, however, advise my daughter that she doesn't have to if she doesn't want to.

Being made to feel guilty for NOT donating? Still working this one out. I know that one response option I have seen suggested here on TLHC for unwanted Locks of Love comments and suggestions is to mention blood donation or kidney donation or to ask what THEY are donating for the cause. This would be in response to personal accusations, not a commercial. "So they can see you care" vs. "so they can see you don't care" doesn't seem like a huge step.

Every donation site I have visited wants un-dyed/bleached hair. I think that is rather uncommon these days. I am pretty sure the Pantene organization is one which stated that. I will have to check that out.

chrissy-b
September 21st, 2012, 09:57 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking! Considering part of her image is her hairdo, I seriously doubt it.

Maybe you could say something like: "I'll cut mine if she cuts hers!" She never will. So you won't have to either. It's kind of like, "Do as I say, not as I do."

akilina
September 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM
I see this as a LOT of people love her. This might inspire many to grow their hair and chop it off, donate it, and of course buying this pantene product WILL make their hair grow!:rolleyes: Some people are VERY easily swayed by the media and celebrities. Especially tweens and teens.

Blehhh.

While its great that some people donate their hair, I personally would never do it..and I do not feel selfish in saying that. It shocks me when some people act like long hair is not okay and that you should only grow it to donate it. I also hate that some people think you are doing some evil act if you do not donate your hair.

I wish I knew more about the Pantene donation set up. Maybe their cause is much better than LoL.

I know that I think locks of love is a crock of bat guano.

At my old place of work, we used to offer the locks of love thing, and some people would donate. I never had the heart to tell the people that locks of love will probably NOT accept their hair for one reason or another, and gave the client the address and their bag of hair just to make them happy.

theemeraldskull
September 21st, 2012, 10:48 AM
I am having much ambivalence about this.

With all the push/movement towards human rights as far as one's own body goes, how can they take the stance that "if you don't, you are bad." ?

Blood donation is a similar thing, it is among "renewable donatable things". A kidney does not fall into that category. Stem cells and blood products, as well as hair do. So does money.The money doesn't do much if no one ever donates hair. (Perhaps one day cloning technology will allow hair to be grown for such purposes.) Are we made to feel guilty if we don't? MADE to feel guilty? Can someone actually MAKE you feel guilty? Just thinking out loud here.

While a wig for a bald cancer patient can greatly help in coping for that person, it is not like they will die without a wig. So where is the guilt, exactly?

Agreed. I have never felt guilty about not donating my hair... it's just not my burden, as it were. Besides the fact that I am excessively attached emotionally to my hair, as it has taken me 10+ years to grow it to this length.

I have some friends who have donated their hair a few times over their life (mostly during their teen years), and their hair would be grown back from shoulder to hip in 2 years. My hair would never ever do that :P

So I figure... why feel guilty for something that there is no reason to feel guilty over? Even when my friends donated their hair all the time and threw guilt trips on everyone, I never felt guilty. By that time, I had a hair goal, and I loved my hair. :)

melusine963
September 21st, 2012, 12:12 PM
"No thanks, I will keep my hair. It is easier for cancer societies to use money anyway and I donate yearly, how about you?"

ETA: You don't have to say that you donate only $5 or whatever

This is a great comeback. :)

FrozenBritannia
September 21st, 2012, 12:28 PM
I seriously doubt Zooey will cut her hair. She may use a product which donates money, but chop 12 inches off the stuff that pretty much IS her image? Maybe in a few years, but not right now.

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2012, 12:49 PM
Well the minimum is 8" apparently, so not as bad as 12" and after looking around online she is actually cutting the people's hair for the donation (under supervision of a real stylist).

akilina
September 21st, 2012, 01:04 PM
Well the minimum is 8" apparently, so not as bad as 12" and after looking around online she is actually cutting the people's hair for the donation (under supervision of a real stylist).
Wow that fact sort of pisses me off!!!
Its like what...shes a celebrity so that makes her exempt from having to be a LICENSED professional???
It especially pisses me off because I worked in a salon for 8 months, and have my license in Nevada for more than a year, yet I am jumping thru HOOPS and mountains just to try to get my license here in California. I still don't have a test date. It has been 2 stinking months. Also..1800 hours of schooling yet its okay for a celebrity?
Blahrgghhh!!!! :stirpot::justy: lol. sorry.

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2012, 01:16 PM
She is not cutting the style, just chopping off the ponytail.

RELAX. lol

And if a celebrity draws more people in to donate...I don't see what it can hurt?

gonzobird
September 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
I don't think anyone thinks you're bad if you don't donate hair. I also don't think donating hair cures cancer so the whole thing is ridiculous to me. And if people do think you're bad, they are probably the same people that think a fish sandwich from McDonalds is healthy because its "fish". I doubt pantene cares much about cancer. They just want you to buy their cancer causing stuff. I wouldn't get to upset about this, or too exited. It is what it is. A commercial for pantene.

akilina
September 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM
She is not cutting the style, just chopping off the ponytail.

RELAX. lol

And if a celebrity draws more people in to donate...I don't see what it can hurt?
*deep breaths* LOL.
Even if she is only cutting the pony tail off..I wonder what state board would have to say about that one...being that they are Nazis haha.
If anything I hope that this particular organization is better than L.o.L.
If they are using most of the hair donated that makes me happy.

hermosamendoza
September 21st, 2012, 03:54 PM
I thought about washing hair at a salon for a part time job and I asked my sister if she thought it was a good idea. She (unintentionally) snoodly replied "You CANNOT touch or massage a scalp without a proper cosmotology liscence or without being in school for cosmotology."
"So I have to pay to be able to have a part time job washing hair"
"Basically"

akilina
September 21st, 2012, 04:02 PM
I thought about washing hair at a salon for a part time job and I asked my sister if she thought it was a good idea. She (unintentionally) snoodly replied "You CANNOT touch or massage a scalp without a proper cosmotology liscence or without being in school for cosmotology."
"So I have to pay to be able to have a part time job washing hair"
"Basically"
That totally sucks that she was so rude (unintentionally)to you but its the law...Theres nothing else to really say. :( And it is completely true. You cant do anything in a salon except for sweep or be a receptionist without a license. Even though washing hair is pretty simple. If state board were to come in they would get in huge trouble. Blehh...I wish I was working :(

hermosamendoza
September 21st, 2012, 04:26 PM
Lol I know. I just thought it was weird. I didn't know how strict the board was until she worked more in a salon and was telling us rules. Speaking of rules is that why on tv shows they always have a "supervising" hairstylist when the host cuts someones pony tale off?

You could come here and be my personal S&D hehee. it pays in love and free mexican food....sound good?

FrannyG
September 21st, 2012, 04:29 PM
In the latest "Beautiful Lengths" commercial I saw, a voiceover simply mentioned that Pantene is donating $1,000,000 to research for women's cancer. That's when Zooey says "I care", and that's what I assumed she was referring to. There is no guilting whatsoever in that commercial. I don't see what the fuss is about.

There will always be people who grow simply to donate (I know some) and I would rather see it go to Pantene's program than to Locks of Love. Their hair donation program is separate completely from the commercial.

hermosamendoza
September 21st, 2012, 04:41 PM
I only remember seeing the commercial once but wasn't paying attention enough to see what it was about.

beautifulending
September 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM
I don't get why some people are so insistent on people donating hair. I get that people with cancer want beautiful hair as much as anyone else. but well I think that treatments to help save their lives is more important then someone donating 12ins of hair.

Sorry if I offend anyone in anyway.:blossom:

floralgem
September 21st, 2012, 05:44 PM
Those ads have been popping up in my magazines. I mean, if you want to donate it, there's nothing stopping you, but if people are almost expecting you to donate it due to the fact you want to grow it......That's a different story.

jasper
September 21st, 2012, 06:13 PM
I know a lot of cancer survivors, and not one of them wanted to wear a wig when they experienced hair loss. Well, one wears a green clown wig as a joke now and then. They found hats and bandanas more comfortable. If I get pressure about donating my hair, that's what I am going to say. :shrug:

I have pointed out to people who address me on the subject in person that Locks of Love is not primarily making wigs for cancer patents. They mostly serve kids with different types of hair loss that would be more long term than hair loss from chemo. . . and anyway, I donated 12 inches of hair to them in the past. No one who makes that suggestion to me ever has donated themselves. Go figure.

vanillabones
September 21st, 2012, 06:18 PM
My hair will never be as short as it is now and I will never cut my hair shorter again. I would/will still try out this product however because the name of it is appealing to me and I like cones and I like ice shine, this could be more irrelevant to the model being Zooey but it still shows it doesn't impact me that much. Most long haireds I know in real life donate it. I think I have seen the commercial and it sounded weird to me because I thought of it as I care for my hair but I'm silly and am not always watching.

akilina
September 21st, 2012, 06:32 PM
Lol I know. I just thought it was weird. I didn't know how strict the board was until she worked more in a salon and was telling us rules. Speaking of rules is that why on tv shows they always have a "supervising" hairstylist when the host cuts someones pony tale off?

You could come here and be my personal S&D hehee. it pays in love and free mexican food....sound good?
Yes PLEASE!! I am in!!! I love mexican food!!! ahah :p
I do wish I could be the LHCs personal stylist :) Everyone would be happy :)

Elanadi
September 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM
If anyone suggests I should cut my hair off and donate it, I can tell them I have twice now grown out my hair, cut it off, and donated it. I get to keep it this time. ;) Also, I knit chemo hats for Locks of Love so that people who lose their hair to cancer can have cute hats to wear. Then I ask them what they've done to help people with cancer. ;) (Is that mean? They shouldn't be so worried about what *I* do if they aren't willing to answer the same question!)

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2012, 08:05 PM
I tried really hard to find the commercial online to see for myself what it said but couldn't find it.
I didn't even know who Zooey was until I looked her up. I know her as Trillian from Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

I have only been asked about LOL once. And it was "do you plan to donate" to which I replied no. It was not "you should". :shrug:

bluequeequeg
September 21st, 2012, 09:02 PM
In the latest "Beautiful Lengths" commercial I saw, a voiceover simply mentioned that Pantene is donating $1,000,000 to research for women's cancer. That's when Zooey says "I care", and that's what I assumed she was referring to. There is no guilting whatsoever in that commercial. I don't see what the fuss is about.

Yup, this is the commercial I just saw. In fact, the product the commercial espouses is supposed to "repair" splits so you don't have to cut your hair... Zooey even says Pantene dared her to skip a trim and use their product instead. "So getting longer, stronger hair... also means I care."

For anyone who wants to view the commercial themselves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQB_G8C_YVM

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2012, 09:07 PM
For anyone who wants to view the commercial themselves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQB_G8C_YVM

Ahh, I thought it was a commercial specifically for the charity, not their product. She is sayign that by using Pantene products we support the charity. No pressure to cut, actually the opposite.

But REPAIR split ends? Urgh.:mad:

thatcrazychick
September 21st, 2012, 09:24 PM
Personally, I've donated to Wigs for Kids. Honestly I've not seen it on this board yet... does anyone have any info out there?

I don't think its completely free, but its a much smaller U.S. operation than LoL. Instead of mass-producing wigs, they actually make wigs to match the kid's old hair, and make it as a prosthetic so the kid can keep it on in, say, gymnastics.

As for the peer pressure, I like the money donation response.

Wahinee
September 21st, 2012, 09:52 PM
All I got from the commercial is that pantene is donating to cancer charities. Not necessarily hair related ones.

katfemme89
September 21st, 2012, 10:09 PM
I think donating money to cancer research or, say, St. Jude Children's Hospital to actually CURE their cancer is a lot more useful than carelessly slapping a wig on someone's head.

Our society is obsessed with symbolism over substance and warm fuzzies rather than reality. But I don't buy into that crap, and I'm glad other people on LHC don't, either.

I've donated over $600 to St. Jude's so anyone who tells me I don't care about people with cancer is gonna get themselves b****slapped. Real talk.

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2012, 10:15 PM
Don't forget the importance of emotional health with physical healing. Until a cure for cancer is found, cancer patients have to cope however they need to cope and sometimes feeling "normal" with a wig can be vital to the patient's courage and endurance (emotionally). Especially kids who get harshly teased for being different in any way.

I think wigs have a place, an important place, almost like prosthetic limbs but not quite.

katfemme89
September 21st, 2012, 10:49 PM
Don't forget the importance of emotional health with physical healing. Until a cure for cancer is found, cancer patients have to cope however they need to cope and sometimes feeling "normal" with a wig can be vital to the patient's courage and endurance (emotionally). Especially kids who get harshly teased for being different in any way.

I think wigs have a place, an important place, almost like prosthetic limbs but not quite.

This is true. However, in my mind, it's like seeing someone drowning and throwing them a "get well" card instead of a life preserver.

I do have sympathy for cancer patients that lose their hair. A lot of sympathy. However, you have to admit that losing their hair is the least of their worries. My grandmother died of colon cancer and she didn't care what she looked like, she just wanted to get well... and couldn't.

But yes wigs do give a sense of normalcy that can help emotionally, which can actually help support the immune system a bit, so I totally see your POV :D

Rinna
September 22nd, 2012, 12:37 AM

That's what I got from the commercial too. Not a word about chopping your hair off. Just "I care because I buy shampoo that supports cancer research".

Tota
September 22nd, 2012, 02:05 AM
Wow, Zooey is like a goddess here in Europe, too. I watched the commercial but I don't think it says or hints anything about cutting hair for charity. She says they challenged her to skip a trim and try their product. She did and her hair got longer and healthier. Because they donate a part of their profit she's showing she cares just by using their products and has gained length and health at the same time.

Maybe I'm just stupid though. We don't have this problems here because cutting hair for charity is not (yet?) "popular" so maybe I'm just not understanding the ad. Here people say things like "you should sell your hair" more often now (because of the crisis), but never I heard anyone about donating hair. I guess I should enjoy that while it lasts :)

Mischamiu
September 22nd, 2012, 03:19 AM
I just saw the commercial and I don't think she was refering to donating hair but to the million dollars that were reversed to cancer, so promoting the actual shampoo :) but I could be wrong, I don't understand the problem because I didn't even knew you could donate your hair before joining to LHC, I just never heard of it were I live...

Maktub
September 22nd, 2012, 05:26 AM
I just saw the commercial and I don't think she was refering to donating hair but to the million dollars that were reversed to cancer, so promoting the actual shampoo

That's what I understood also from the commercial.

I don't see any incentive to donate hair in the commercial itself.

gillybeanxo3921
September 22nd, 2012, 05:50 AM
Does anybody else feel like Pantene creates ridiculous images of "healthy hair"? Nobodies hair is that glossy in real life.

Anabell
September 22nd, 2012, 07:53 AM
I am feel guilty. I know it isn't reasonable, and I have the right on my body, but I rally sensitive. I'm not from US, and hair donation not so common in my country like in US- there a lot of long hair girls here- waist length and hip it's pretty common. But since the idea came to my mind (this was the first time someone suggest that, and I have long hair a several years now) I can let it go!!
I feel i'm a selfish person just because I want to keep it. It bother me so much because I really care, in the one side, and I really attached for my hair in the other side....
I always has this problem then in one side I non conformist, and don't listen to the mainstream, and in the other side I really concern about what people think about me (of course my close friends like me just the way I am... it just all the others that bother me...). This is really stupid transition state....

katfemme89
September 22nd, 2012, 01:42 PM
I am feel guilty. I know it isn't reasonable, and I have the right on my body, but I rally sensitive. I'm not from US, and hair donation not so common in my country like in US- there a lot of long hair girls here- waist length and hip it's pretty common. But since the idea came to my mind (this was the first time someone suggest that, and I have long hair a several years now) I can let it go!!
I feel i'm a selfish person just because I want to keep it. It bother me so much because I really care, in the one side, and I really attached for my hair in the other side....
I always has this problem then in one side I non conformist, and don't listen to the mainstream, and in the other side I really concern about what people think about me (of course my close friends like me just the way I am... it just all the others that bother me...). This is really stupid transition state....

Don't donate it. If you feel guilty for not helping, donate money. It does much more good than hair.

Tia2010
September 22nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
I like Zooey, I don't like Pantene ... and I honestly don't care what either of them have to say. :p but I didn't see anything bad about the commercial.

As for donations, no one has ever made me feel guilty about not donating it, but if someone did imply I was being selfish for not donating MY hair.. then I would tell them they are being selfish for not growing out their hair to donate!

Sarahlabyrinth
September 22nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
Does anybody else feel like Pantene creates ridiculous images of "healthy hair"? Nobodies hair is that glossy in real life.

I think all shampoo commercials do this though. I know it works on me to get me to try their products:)

Shiranshoku
September 22nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
It's pretty late and I can't sleep, so I'm sorry if I come across as overly harsh.

But imho, there's nothing wrong with the ad. Or even with people mildly pushing you to donate your hair. If you don't want to, you can easily say that you... Don't want to?

I can't imagine it happening that often that you need to devise ways to get rid off the angry hair donating mob constantly nagging you to donate your hair.

Ligeia_13
September 23rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
WAIT WHAT??

It's pronounced "Pan-teen"? Ever since I can remember myself, I've pronounced it "Pan-ten" because that's how its said in our Greek commercials. My life is a lie!

Anyway, I didn't hear any mention of hair cutting and donating in the ad so I will say nay on the offence.

I have to say though, her hair looks ridiculous. Nobody's hair looks like that, even with Pantene. Also, split ends? Ha, I wish my ends looked like that :p

jacqueline101
September 23rd, 2012, 12:15 PM
All commercials are the same to get you to see the world their way. Another words its okay for us to donate but not her. She's got to keep her locks.

Shiranshoku
September 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
WAIT WHAT??

It's pronounced "Pan-teen"? Ever since I can remember myself, I've pronounced it "Pan-ten" because that's how its said in our Greek commercials. My life is a lie!

We pronounce it almost like it's French, Pantène :)

longforthis
September 23rd, 2012, 01:13 PM
I know this one is obviously for donation, LOL. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMRXWQymnsk

I didn't get a feel to cut it in the Zoey commercial.

Lize
September 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM
This is true. However, in my mind, it's like seeing someone drowning and throwing them a "get well" card instead of a life preserver.

I do have sympathy for cancer patients that lose their hair. A lot of sympathy. However, you have to admit that losing their hair is the least of their worries. My grandmother died of colon cancer and she didn't care what she looked like, she just wanted to get well... and couldn't.

But yes wigs do give a sense of normalcy that can help emotionally, which can actually help support the immune system a bit, so I totally see your POV :D

This. :agree:

This whole "hair donation" thing is totally weird for me as a European. It just does not exist over here.

maborosi
September 23rd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Beautiful Lengths is, IIRC, much more reputable than Locks of Love, which is nice. I don't really see anything objectionable in that ad.

Plus, they make freaking Ice Shine.

My favorite conditioner ever.

I can't hate Pantene. :D

~maborosi~

henné
September 23rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
I don't see any offense or a push to donate hair (or you're a bad person!) in that commercial ...

Too much ado about nothing, imo.

terylenerose
September 23rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
I actually had no idea Zooey Deschanel (which the spellchecker doesn't even think is a real name, btw! :)) was that popular or influential. And if she is, then whatever.

My main problem with "donate your hair to cancer patients" in general is that cancer patients don't need to lose their hair. If you don't believe me, then please do your own research. If you still don't believe me, then always remember that chemotherapy is a tried and false method of treating cancer.

Beckstar
September 23rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
I think sometimes we read too much into something or overanalyze it. But these 'charities' should be more upfront on how they fund their operations. Profit, non-profit, or earn enough profit to keep running.

piffyanne
September 23rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
I think the commercial looks fine, although I'd really like to know how they make these people's hair look so utterly perfect.

I'd like hair like that, if only for ONE day. In the meantime, I'll keep comparing my hair to the unrealistic expectations these commercials foster and try to reassure myself that mine looks "real." :shrug:

Carolyn
September 23rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
I just saw the commercial and I don't think she is saying "chop off your hair for cancer patients". I think she is promoting the products and saying by buying the Pantene products you will be helping. I think Pantene Beautiful Lengths is the program that gives women who have lost their hair to chemo a free wig. A friend of mine got one of the free wigs when she went through chemo a few years ago. It wasn't the nicest wig and looked nothing like her real hair. She made a comment about only having so much to choose from. I didn't ask more about it as I didn't think it was any of my business and I didn't want her to think I thought her wig looked bad. If it was me I would have preferred to purchase my own wig and get one that was more similar to my real hair.

I read somewhere that the actors in the commercials are required to use the products on the day of the shoot. They don't have to use them all the time. I also read that the shine comes from the lighting. I can't remember if they said anything about oil or some kind of a shine product on the hair. Remember it only has to look great while they are shooting the commercial and they do lots of takes and use only the best footage and digitally enhance it. We are supposed to want to run out and buy the products :D That is what good advertizing is all about.

Angel Barchild
September 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM
Let me get this straight, Zooey Deschanel is in an advertisement for a company that is donating a million dollars to the American Cancer Society, and that's a bad thing. It's a bad thing because they also take hair donations. The hair donations are then given to the American Cancer Society, who gives the wigs made from them to cancer patients, for free.

I have read on this board, 10 page rants about the stylist cutting off an inch more than wanted, and people in fits of tears over the loss of length. How can the people on this board not understand an emotional attachment to hair? If all yours fell out today how would you react?

I watched my Aunt go through cancer treatment, held her hand when she did chemo, and held her hand again when her beautiful waist length copper hair fell out in chunks. I also saw the joy in her face when her sisters presented her with a wig they pooled their money to buy (nice ones are not cheap). Maybe the loss of hair wouldn't bother some people, but it destroyed her. The psychological damage done when people lose hair to chemo is well documented, it does happen and it's terrible.

Donating hair won't cure cancer, but the million dollars Pantene is donating sure will help. I don't believe for one second that doing a little thing isn't worth it just because there is a bigger problem. There will always be a bigger problem. That's not going to stop me from helping in little ways.

Like any other charity, if you don't like it don't donate. If someone gives you a hard time, find your stainless steel spine and walk away, just like you would if you were hassled about anything else. No one is making you do or feel anything. Worst case scenario with this is Zooey Deschanel gets a bunch of people to donate hair and money to cancer patients, it doesn't effect you in any way.

maborosi
September 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Let me get this straight, Zooey Deschanel is in an advertisement for a company that is donating a million dollars to the American Cancer Society, and that's a bad thing. It's a bad thing because they also take hair donations. The hair donations are then given to the American Cancer Society, who gives the wigs made from them to cancer patients, for free.

I have read on this board, 10 page rants about the stylist cutting off an inch more than wanted, and people in fits of tears over the loss of length. How can the people on this board not understand an emotional attachment to hair? If all yours fell out today how would you react?

I watched my Aunt go through cancer treatment, held her hand when she did chemo, and held her hand again when her beautiful waist length copper hair fell out in chunks. I also saw the joy in her face when her sisters presented her with a wig they pooled their money to buy (nice ones are not cheap). Maybe the loss of hair wouldn't bother some people, but it destroyed her. The psychological damage done when people lose hair to chemo is well documented, it does happen and it's terrible.

Donating hair won't cure cancer, but the million dollars Pantene is donating sure will help. I don't believe for one second that doing a little thing isn't worth it just because there is a bigger problem. There will always be a bigger problem. That's not going to stop me from helping in little ways.

Like any other charity, if you don't like it don't donate. If someone gives you a hard time, find your stainless steel spine and walk away, just like you would if you were hassled about anything else. No one is making you do or feel anything. Worst case scenario with this is Zooey Deschanel gets a bunch of people to donate hair and money to cancer patients, it doesn't effect you in any way.

This is actually a really good post. I know it might stir up some ill feelings in some people, but I completely agree with you. Though I personally don't want to donate my hair (I don't think it's really the right type to make wigs out of- it's too fine and processed) if someone does it, and as long as the organization is reputable, then it's all fine.

~maborosi~

piffyanne
September 24th, 2012, 12:50 AM

Ok, you melted MY heart.

(I'm NOT being sarcastic) I'm usually a nice girl, but the repetition hardened my heart, apparently :rant:. I feel bad now, I really needed this perspective, I think. I won't get annoyed when people ask about me donating my hair anymore.

And the piffyanne's heart grew three sizes that day. :heartbeat

Thanks! :blossom:

Mesmerise
September 24th, 2012, 01:01 AM
There are people who grow their hair to donate, and that's great! I also think it's great if you get sick of your long hair and want to cut it, to then donate your cut hair.

I don't think it's cool to ask people to donate their hair though... just as you wouldn't walk up to a random stranger and ask for a kidney. Hair takes YEARS to grow. It's not like donating blood or something, which replenishes fairly quickly!

Now, I haven't seen the ad, not being in the US, I guess. So I can't judge what the ad is or isn't about. It's good that people KNOW there's somewhere they can donate their hair, if they choose to do so.

It just bugs me that random strangers will walk up to women in the street and ask them to donate their hair. I find it incredibly rude and horrible!

Angel Barchild
September 24th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Ok, you melted MY heart.

(I'm NOT being sarcastic) I'm usually a nice girl, but the repetition hardened my heart, apparently :rant:. I feel bad now, I really needed this perspective, I think. I won't get annoyed when people ask about me donating my hair anymore.

:grouphug: Hugs for you. It is rude when people harass others for any kind of charity, it annoys people and makes them resent the charity, even if it's a good cause. I'm sorry if people have been bothersome about donations. It is not acceptable behavior.

On bright side my Aunt has been in remission for 7 years now, and everything looks good. Her hair grew back, a bit thinner, but she says she's fine with it, because it's normal thickness now instead of the crazy thick she had before.

WaitingSoLong
September 24th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Beautiful Lengths is, IIRC, much more reputable than Locks of Love

What is IIRC?

Ok, you melted MY heart.

Oh Imade the mistake of YouTubing haircut for donation videos and all these girls/women telling stories about their friends or whatever with cancer and watching them get their hair cut and, well, I cried!

I also think it's great if you get sick of your long hair and want to cut it, to then donate your cut hair.

My first encounter with LoL was when I took my son with MBL hair to get his hair cut and they said we could get the cut for free if he donated his ponytail to LoL. Well, we said SURE! (I mean, free haircut, right?). I hadn't leared about them yet. Not that I would have said no to a free haircut anyway, but Beautiful Lengths is a better charity, so next time I will be informed and choose. Although I have no idea if there is a salong that does donations to BL instead of LoL.

If I ever cut 10" or more from my hair, I intend to donate it. Even if I have to mail it in myself.

neko_kawaii
September 24th, 2012, 08:46 AM
What is IIRC?

If I Remember Correctly.

Angel Barchild, very well said. Thank you!

Fethenwen
September 24th, 2012, 08:52 AM
This is just so weird :confused:

In my country, people get a wig from their healthcare and only pay a small sum of the whole. It's not made into a big deal.

I think the whole reason for this "donate your hair thing" gotten out of hand in the states, is because it has been made commercial. You guys think Pantene is having this campaign only because of well meant charity? Of course not, they use their charity program as a marketing tool.

WaitingSoLong
September 24th, 2012, 09:37 AM
This is just so weird :confused:

In my country, people get a wig from their healthcare and only pay a small sum of the whole. It's not made into a big deal.

Are they real hair wigs? If so, where does the hair come from?

Fethenwen
September 24th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Are they real hair wigs? If so, where does the hair come from?
Most of them are synthetics, the more expensive ones that have real hair (meant for people with terminal hair loss) I'm not so sure about, but I guess that hair comes from India :shrug: