PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I can't braid in any direction but down

raingirl
September 21st, 2012, 06:41 AM
I can braid other people's hair no problem, but when I tried to braid my hair in a crown braid yesterday I got so frustrated I wanted to cut it all off!

Apparently I can't braid in any way but down (top of my head/roots and downwards). I tried to grab hair from behind my ears and braid around, but I couldn't do it! It kept getting all tangled!

That..and my hands and arms kept falling asleep and hurting. I have nerve issues in my elbows that get worse when my arms are bent or raised up.

I know it's a practice thing really, but am I missing some key points here? In theory it's easy. I've done crown braids and french braids for years on other people, and I can do a french braid on myself... but why so hard for anything else?

longNred
September 21st, 2012, 06:48 AM
It took me weeks to learn it. Until I got the hang of it, I just did the 2 side braids and pinned them around in a faux-crown braid. no one ever knew the difference, except me. just fake it till you get it! I'm just the opposite, since I learn braided styles on myself first, I have a very hard time doing them on other people.

Madora
September 21st, 2012, 06:51 AM
As far as doing a crown braid on yourself, have you tried doing it in the bent at the waist position, starting with all your hair in front of you?

It took me a month to get the "hang" of it, but it was my only alternative as crown braiding standing erect killed my arms (muscles not used to it).

As for braiding while erect, it all boils down to patience and practice...lots of it. And yes, it does take time for your arm muscles to become accustomed to being held up for an extended period of time.

There is more to braiding than just the motions...your fingers gradually become adept at judging the proper widths of the sections of hair, plus what tension to use, plus the proper angle to braid with.

I'm sorry about your nerve issues. That must making braiding a trial indeed.

Gabriel
September 21st, 2012, 06:57 AM
I can only crown braid if I section my hair. This tutorial (clicky) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78600&highlight=crown+braid) by kme81 is really great and made it possible for me to finally learn how to crown braid.

Have you tried that version?

spidermom
September 21st, 2012, 07:04 AM
I still have a hard time with that one. More often than not, I end up with a big bulge where I add the last section of hair. It's hard to keep everything smooth and even!

But every once in awhile, the stars align and it comes out perfectly.

raingirl
September 21st, 2012, 07:08 AM
I can only crown braid if I section my hair. This tutorial (clicky) (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78600&highlight=crown+braid) by kme81 is really great and made it possible for me to finally learn how to crown braid.

Have you tried that version?

I may have to try that. Not sure it would work though as my hair is insanely thin. My braid when I use all my hair is no thicker than my thumb!

raingirl
September 21st, 2012, 07:10 AM
As far as doing a crown braid on yourself, have you tried doing it in the bent at the waist position, starting with all your hair in front of you?

It took me a month to get the "hang" of it, but it was my only alternative as crown braiding standing erect killed my arms (muscles not used to it).

As for braiding while erect, it all boils down to patience and practice...lots of it. And yes, it does take time for your arm muscles to become accustomed to being held up for an extended period of time.

There is more to braiding than just the motions...your fingers gradually become adept at judging the proper widths of the sections of hair, plus what tension to use, plus the proper angle to braid with.

I'm sorry about your nerve issues. That must making braiding a trial indeed.

I tried that for a bit last night but I kept getting dizzy. LOL.

I was thinking of trying it laying on the bed with my head over the edge so my hair falls down....maybe that would work.

browneyedsusan
September 21st, 2012, 07:25 AM
Braiding comes with practice and persistence. Lots and lots of both. Keep after it. You'll get it. :)

neko_kawaii
September 21st, 2012, 08:12 AM
To combat the tangles with every addition and braid step I run my fingers through to detangle.

So sorry to hear about the nerve issues. *hug* I have to rest my arms periodically so I hold with one hand and let the other hand down and wiggle my fingers, switch, and then keep going.