PDA

View Full Version : My hair is falling out! Help me figure out WHY?

TiffanieJean
September 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM
I did a hair mask the other week and I had a huge hair ball by the time I was done washing the oil out. I normally shed more than normal when I do a hair mask, but this time it was different. I counted out 100 hairs from the ball and it was only about 1/3 of the total amount! I did a hair mask again a little over a week later, and it was almost the same. Only a slight improvement.

I wash my hair as gently as possible. Then when I condition, it’s like chunks come out…. Too much oil? The only thing I have changed in the last month is adding Avocado and Rosemary Oil to my hair masks. Could I possibly be having a reaction to the Avocado Oil? Has anyone else had a reaction to any oils?

I also started sleeping with my hair up this year. It’s helped to reduce split ends and tangling, but I have had to try a few different methods because my hair is so slippery that it pulls to one side or the other during the night - pulling out the side with tension… Could wearing my hair up while sleeping cause extra shedding? I know that if I leave my hair up all day and then take it out, I will have quite a few hairs that would have fallen out during the day come out at once.

I just bough Mill Creek’s Biotin Shampoo and Avalon’s Biotin Conditioner and used them last night. I have been EXTRA careful while brushing and have kept my hair up. The shedding wasn’t horrible during that shower.

Anyone know why we shed more during the fall? The 1st time I had hair loss it happened at the beginning of fall… I lost about 1/3 of my hair after I had my son and all of it has been growing back for almost 2 years. It looks normal again, but now I can tell the top /crown is thinning. I’m worried that everything I have changed in my routine was for nothing and I have some kind of underlying problem…

TiffanieJean
September 21st, 2012, 07:05 AM
BUMP?678910

Madora
September 21st, 2012, 07:12 AM
Sounds like something is affecting your scalp.

Here's an article by Ktani about shedding that might help:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=121

TiffanieJean
September 21st, 2012, 07:26 AM
Sounds like something is affecting your scalp.

Here's an article by Ktani about shedding that might help:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=121 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=121)

Thank you Madora. I’m leaning toward the same conclusion.

I use an all natural/gentle shampoo and conditioner (Giovanni‘s Root 66) and clarify once a month. Very little heat and only 1 product occasionally which is also all natural and gentle (Giovanni’s Blow Out mist for detangling and a little heat protection for when I blowdry - on warm).
All of those products have been in my routine for quite a while, so that only leaves either avocado or rosemary oil as the culprit… :(

hermosamendoza
September 21st, 2012, 08:43 AM
Maybe you shrubbed your scalp to vigorously while trying to get the mask out? I've heard some people shed more when their scalp is stimulated too much.
But also remember what time of year it is. September always means dry skin, lips, scalp, and hair for me. I suddenly find myself needing to up my water and brush or comb out my hair twice a day to help with shedding. Otherwise if I only finger "brush" it looks like I lose a lot more hair the next time I take a shower.

DinaAG
September 21st, 2012, 08:45 AM
sounds like an allergy from a special product?

virgo75
September 21st, 2012, 08:46 AM
You say that after you condition, your hair sheds?

My scalp H.A.T.E.S. getting conditioner on it and I will shed like a beast if I do. I tried CO-washing and lost tons of hair. :( Sometimes even a super moisturizing shampoo will do the same thing. My scalp sheds the least with a clear shampoo - no color, not creamy or pearly.

Maybe try avoiding your scalp when you condition your hair? I shampoo my scalp regularly but only put conditioner on my hair from about the ears down and try really hard to keep it away from my scalp.

Edited to add: after reading about the oils - avocado & rosemary - my scalp doesn't like oils on it too much either. lol And some people are especially sensitive to rosemary oil. Your scalp my just like simple, basic care - shampoo when needed.

Madora
September 21st, 2012, 10:09 AM
TiffanieJean, you also might try diluting your conditioner with a bit of water.

Personally, I'd use diluted shampoo and diluted conditioner...and nothing else...and see if the shedding decreased. The acid mantle of the scalp can be thrown out of kilter if it doesn't agree with what you're using.

TiffanieJean
September 21st, 2012, 12:31 PM
I don't normally put the conditioner on my scalp. The only conditioner I use on my scalp is the new Avalon Biotin one. It's PH balanced, so hopefully it will help to fix the problem. I'm going to leave out the rosemary and avocado oils for my next hair mask and just stick with the Jojoba, Apricot Kernel and maybe Castor oil. I have to do oils in the fall because my scalp is very dry.

Thank you ladies for the replies. It has helped a lot. It's just alarming to all of a sudden see a massive amount of hair come out

gonzobird
September 21st, 2012, 01:26 PM
I've been shedding a bunch too lately. And I'm pretty sure its because I've been conditioning my scalp, which I've never ever done before. For fun i only conditioned my length this morning, and i shed at least half of what i normally would.

I kinda wanna smack myself. :)

KatiSasha
September 21st, 2012, 01:35 PM
Rosemary oil made me shed like crazy, since I've stopped using it and switched to folicure shampoo (it has sulfites, but cleared up my scalp) my shedding was reduced dramatically. I'm pregnant now, so I'm not shedding at all, but before getting pregnant my shedding went from about a hundred each shower and 50 or so during combing to maybe 20-40 a day all together.