PDA

View Full Version : Keeping straight hair straight while asleep and drying

hairhair
September 21st, 2012, 05:33 AM
You know how some people start doing cone-free haircare and growing out and discover their hair is actually wavy? Well, I've discovered the opposite -- my hair is naturally a lot straighter than I thought it was (I used to think it was about 2a but I'd say it's 1b at the most).

The problem is, it's also quite fine, especially the canopy, and will tend to "set" the way it's dried, or how I sleep on it. I usually dry it in a scrunchie/ponytail, so it gets this massive bump. I also sleep with it in a banded ponytail, which would keep it straight, or give it nice waves, but unfortunately the band tends to slip, leading to super-weird uneven bumps (not sure how to describe this -- I wake up with a massive bulge in the banded bit). This also occurs, to a lesser extent, just sleeping in a normal ponytail.

If I could sleep in a braid, I'd get braidwaves, which would be cool (although I wouldn't want them every day) but my hair isn't long enough to get more than 2-3 "bumps", so I'd be back to bumpy awkwardness. Two braids, similar issue.

Has anyone found a satisfactory solution to this problem? I'm going to try double ponytails in scrunchies tonight, but this will probably end with some tangling. I basically want to find a secure, protective sleeping style that won't affect the natural texture of my hair.

Thanks! :)

ETA: see profile pic for example of the "double bump" effect from sleeping in banded ponytail.

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2012, 05:39 AM
A sleep stocking works for me. I haven't used anything else since I made one.
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/P1030516.jpg

TiffanieJean
September 21st, 2012, 05:46 AM
Try sleeping with cinnamon bun and no scrunchie. I pull my hair up like I’m going to do a med/high ponytail, twist it a few times and then wrap it around. Secure with a few bobby pins or sectioning clips. You don’t get any awkward bumps, and it gives you beach waves, or loose curls. Depending on how many times you twist before you wrap it around, if your hair was wet or dry, etc… Sock Bun’s are always another good option.

Madora
September 21st, 2012, 07:42 AM
A silk sleep cap? Your hair would be confined and free from anything binding it (clips or bands). There would be less opportunity for snarls/tangles.

MiaBeth
September 21st, 2012, 08:12 AM
I had the same problem -- pretty straight hair that looks terrible if I sleep on it when it's wet. I've found the perfect solution. After I shower and comb out, I wrap my hair around my head (check out YouTube -- hair wrap tutorials -- for details). Once hair is wrapped smoothly around the entire head (it looks like a beehive shape), I then tie on a silk scarf, and voilà, in the morning, I comb my hair out and it's smooth and straight, no lumps! You may look a bit odd at bedtime, but you'll be so happy in the morning!

Panth
September 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM

I made a very similar thing based on WaitingSoLong's version. It works miracles, either with loose or plaited hair - no weird bumps or kinks.

Also, now my hair is long enough to stick out the bottom when loose (though not when plaited) I have found a trick to put loose curls in the bottom foot or so. I put the stocking on and about 6" sticks out. I lift the tip of the stocking and shake it so the ends fall back inside. I then make a single overhand knot in the base of the stocking to trap the ends inside. I chuck the length of the stocking up onto the pillow so I don't lie on the knot.

The ends are curled up in the base of the stocking --> loose curls at the last 1'. The majority of the length is laying flat through the length of the stocking --> straight. The scalp region is kept flat --> no weird bumps.

However, I suspect this only works because my hair is an escape artist and doesn't tangle easily (e.g. I can do the shampoo commercial 'pile your hair on your head and scrub' thing without any tangles, no problem). Otherwise it would be a recipe for tangles and chaos.

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2012, 04:22 PM
Panth, I have just made a new sleep stocking (longer) after taking months to figure out a pattern. I made it knee length. I need to tweak it some, it wants to slip off my head and it leaves a crease mark on my forehead. I bought enough material to make another because I figured the first one would be more of a learning process. I tried it out several times on different matierals just to practice the pattern and figure out pat measurements for easy duplication. I would love to get good at it and make them to sell on Etsy but without the person's head, I don't think I can make it "sight unseen".

As it is, I have a shorter one I have no use for, it is only about hip length.
Sorry, a bit OT but still sort of relevant, right?

Salmonberry
September 21st, 2012, 04:29 PM
Showering/rinsing my hair in the morning is really the only solution for me. No matter how I sleep my hair gets all bent out of shape, even if it's completely dry. Water will "reset" it. I love nighttime showers, but I try to avoid soaking my hair at night.

Messyhair
September 21st, 2012, 04:38 PM
I recommend a sleep cap, too. You can do a loose cinnamon bun or something to hold the hair up just long enough to put the cap on, then you're good to go. It will tend to slip off in the night, though, especially if you put the elastic band back on your hair rather than your forehead. If you choose to put the band down on your forehead, beware the morning dent in your skin that does not like to go away quickly. :p

Have you tried sleeping with your hair loose over a satin/silk pillowcase? This may also be an option. I know my hair was more forgiving of this sleep method when it was APL like yours.

hermosamendoza
September 21st, 2012, 04:44 PM
I can't sleep with wet hair or it gets a funky wave to it that isn't natural. see sept 2012 pic in siggy. The only thing i can do is make sure I shower a few hours before i sleep to make sure it stays straight

spirals
September 22nd, 2012, 01:34 AM
Sleep in whatever style works for you and if it looks bad in the morning, correct with a spray bottle. Mist very lightly and comb through. It should dry rather quickly if you don't spray too heavily.

cheryl888
September 22nd, 2012, 03:02 AM
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/P1030516.jpg (http://http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/Poetry4me75/P1030516.jpg)

ooohh i love this, wish i could figure out how to make one thats genius, i currently sleep with a silk sleeping cap , but i always wake up with awkward waves when i wear it, but its better then knots i guess.

cfreya
September 22nd, 2012, 04:35 AM
I have very straight fine hair that gets marks from hair bands and scrunchies the only way to put my hair up without getting a mark is using a scrunchy like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12pcs-Cute-Hairy-Ball-Style-Girl-Scrunchies-Women-Hair-Accessories-/110747105403
And if I put my hair up like a top pony right above my head it can give some volume once intake it out as well

Panth
September 22nd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Panth, I have just made a new sleep stocking (longer) after taking months to figure out a pattern. I made it knee length. I need to tweak it some, it wants to slip off my head and it leaves a crease mark on my forehead. I bought enough material to make another because I figured the first one would be more of a learning process. I tried it out several times on different matierals just to practice the pattern and figure out pat measurements for easy duplication. I would love to get good at it and make them to sell on Etsy but without the person's head, I don't think I can make it "sight unseen".

As it is, I have a shorter one I have no use for, it is only about hip length.
Sorry, a bit OT but still sort of relevant, right?

ooohh i love this, wish i could figure out how to make one thats genius, i currently sleep with a silk sleeping cap , but i always wake up with awkward waves when i wear it, but its better then knots i guess.

This is how I (should have) made mine:

1) Bought silk satin (length = circumference of my head where a headband sits, plus a few inches, width = at least 45")
2) Bought a reasonably tight, stretchy headband (about 2.5" wide, made of knit fabric)
3) Sewed silk satin into a tube. I left selvedge at either end and used a french seam to reduce fraying.
4) Sewed one end of the tube to the headband.
5) Folded the headband back against the tube, so that it sits over fabric rather than directly touching my hair/forehead.

(Well, actually that is the simple version. What I actually did was bought 1/2 meter of fabric, which was a tiny bit too short. So I had to do a bit of a bodge to remedy that problem.)

It is about classic length, so a tad short on me now if my hair is loose. But, as I said, I can shake the tips back in, knot it and that gives me loose curls so I'm not worried.

It does slip off a bit. Mostly when it is in need of washing - I think because the elastic of the headband stretches with time and gets mostly re-set when washed. It doesn't leave any crease marks on my forehead because the silk satin is so thin and fine and the tube is only a tiny bit bigger than my head (enough to get on) so there aren't really any wrinkles.

WaitingSoLong
September 22nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
Panth, how does it contour around your head? I had issues with folding and creases and it just didn't sit right if I did not make it contoured.

Panth
September 26th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Panth, how does it contour around your head? I had issues with folding and creases and it just didn't sit right if I did not make it contoured.

It is only very slightly larger than my head - just enough to get it on, but not enough to make any major wrinkles or creases. Also, the fabric is very fine (think similar to a light-weight slip, but silk not synthetic) so that helps with creases and bulk too.

There is gathering at the base of my neck, but the fabric is so fine it isn't uncomfortable (to me at least).

Part of why it works so well might be the "bought slightly too little fabric, so bodged a bit" part that I glossed over before. Basically, I made it tapered and used the fabric I cut off to make the head end big enough to fit over my head:

1) Fold the long rectangle in half, as if to make a long tube, leaving selvedges at ends of tube.
2) Calculate the difference between the tube circumference and the circumference needed to get it on your head (in my case, about 3-4")
3) Cut a right-angle triangle with a base of this measurement (e.g. 4") off the end of the folded tube (this makes the tube tapered at its tip and gives you two right-angle triangle pieces)
4) Take one of these triangles and sew it as a gore into the long seam at the other end of the tube, widening that end.
5) Sew headband on as before

This turns the tube from being a simple rectangle into being somewhat tapered. It may be the reason my one works so nicely, although it was completely unplanned! I haven't tried a second one with enough fabric to skip the tapering step, so I don't know.

If you were really lacking in fabric, you could sew the two right angle triangle pieces back-to-back to make an equilateral triangle, then use that as a gore.

Angel Barchild
September 28th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I have this same problem, it's why wet set rollers work so well for me. My hair will stay in whatever shape it dries in, and every kind of hair band leaves a terrible dent in it. Everyone suggest not combing my hair when it's wet, but if I don't my hair looks horrible. I just wash (or spray with water, at minimum) in the morning. It just works better for me.

Maybe
September 28th, 2012, 10:29 AM
The hair wrapping technique mentioned upthread (tutoials on Youtube) worked great for me when I was straightening my hair and wanted it to last overnight.

On the days that you wouldn't mind braidwaves you could french braid your hair into two braids *with parandi* to sleep.

That is how I sleep every night now. My hair is not that long but french braiding starting at the top of my head and using a paranda means I get plenty of turns in, plus you get braidwaves from the top of your hair to the very bottom.

In the morning I just take out my braids (and straighten my bangs), finger comb and go.

itdontmatter48
September 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I just bought a "Silky the Cap" I think it's called. Have had it for about 2 weeks now and it is working well. Has not slipped off my head once. I just tuck my hair in, and sleep. In the morning when I take it off I have the same hairdo I went to bed with.

Eriu
October 22nd, 2016, 12:19 AM
Just made myself one, thank you!

Flipgirl24
October 22nd, 2016, 05:21 AM
You know how some people start doing cone-free haircare and growing out and discover their hair is actually wavy? Well, I've discovered the opposite -- my hair is naturally a lot straighter than I thought it was (I used to think it was about 2a but I'd say it's 1b at the most).

The problem is, it's also quite fine, especially the canopy, and will tend to "set" the way it's dried, or how I sleep on it. I usually dry it in a scrunchie/ponytail, so it gets this massive bump. I also sleep with it in a banded ponytail, which would keep it straight, or give it nice waves, but unfortunately the band tends to slip, leading to super-weird uneven bumps (not sure how to describe this -- I wake up with a massive bulge in the banded bit). This also occurs, to a lesser extent, just sleeping in a normal ponytail.

If I could sleep in a braid, I'd get braidwaves, which would be cool (although I wouldn't want them every day) but my hair isn't long enough to get more than 2-3 "bumps", so I'd be back to bumpy awkwardness. Two braids, similar issue.

Has anyone found a satisfactory solution to this problem? I'm going to try double ponytails in scrunchies tonight, but this will probably end with some tangling. I basically want to find a secure, protective sleeping style that won't affect the natural texture of my hair.

Thanks! :)

ETA: see profile pic for example of the "double bump" effect from sleeping in banded ponytail.

You could twist sections of your hair. Twist a small section all the way to the ends. It will give you e waves but not curly waves if that makes sense. Or a hair net?

ravenheather
October 22nd, 2016, 05:29 AM
I make an unsecured low cinnabun and stuff it in a sleep cap.