PDA

View Full Version : Lush Henna, or Semi-Perm Dye + Treatment or Cassia?

boofles
September 21st, 2012, 02:57 AM
Hi again everyone!

Sorry, bit of a long post but really hope someone can offer some advice as I'm stuck between 2 ideas!

I've recently been playing with the idea of dying my hair again - I went about a year without any kind of dyes, but I just feel more "me" with darker hair.

Recently, I came accross this picture and fell in love - this is the length, style and colour I would like to have:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s8qssbffnx9sg4z/axC4kfBA6R/424906_340387265997407_1182222505_n.jpg

I've also been really liking pictures of Cheryl cole whilst she had her burgundy hair colour, but I think that might be a bit strong for me:

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/heather/salon2010/4.jpg

So - my question.

I thought at first of henna as being a good option - loads of benefits, especially as I suffer a lot with splits and have very fine hair, but I very rarely come accross a colour I like - I don't want bright, firey red or orange, and I don't want my hair to edge towards black if I get too much Indigo. I also know this is permanent, and I really hate the thought of not liking it and being stuck with it!

I was thinking of using lush, either Brun or Marron, as I read here that they are a good "starter" henna, but still permanent. Do you guys think that either of those would create the kind of colour I am after (more the first pic than the Cheryl one)? My natural hair colour is shown in these photos for ref:

FlasH
https://photos-1.dropbox.com/thumb/AACzRF66D_LtgZHADf7WPlV7CQqlH2Wac7cy0o4_1hBEVg/9/8409929/jpeg/178x178/1/1348221600/0/2/2012-03-05%2000.17.01.jpg/6WeI-RD21dQ9KqU32Kq6pPdXdCToc4CgZNjyN9TxXYo?prep_size=4 80x320%2C32bf

No flash
https://photos-3.dropbox.com/thumb/AADH-SN7TUpg6xZowS0eAffBRrCjMiV8Ocl6ntvSzvUbZQ/9/8409929/jpeg/178x178/1/1348221600/0/2/2012-06-10%2001.40.30.jpg/HQZcQxh3y88eD_qQoyQoISmlbZRBLzpaDysf4i-S5io?prep_size=480x320%2C32bf

Alternatively, considering my fear of failure with these and my fear of permanent colour (I had a bad experience with permananet colour dying my hair black before which had to be stripped out and cut a lot), I have a second plan.

I have been using loreal casting creme gloss for the last 3 months and it seems to be ok for me - no real damage or problems, so my alternative was to use a more red version of these, then get a good trim (inch or so to ensure full healthy) and immediately seal that in with something like the LUSH Jasmine and Henna defluff, which has been good to me in the past, or perhaps I could try a cassia treatment - would that be a good alternative to henna whilst still getting the benefits, and do either of them react badly with temp hair dyes?

If anyone can help with this that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance!

Avital88
September 21st, 2012, 03:06 AM
i would say go for Lush Caca Brun or Noir.. The benefits for the health of your hair are amazing.
I use also L'oreal Casting creme gloss sometimes, the color can be nice but its nothing like Lush henna.
If i didnt live with my mom at this moment i would only use Lush, but im not allowed to 'henna' in her house :S which i did very sneaky last night anyway hehe,after too many colorings my hair needed it so bad and its way better. So from there my recommendation.
Good luck

Edit: and as u can see i mix semi permanents with Lush all the time, no problems..

boofles
September 21st, 2012, 03:13 AM
Edit: and as u can see i mix semi permanents with Lush all the time, no problems..

Thanks for the reply, thats good to know that the treatment wouldn't mess with the colour! I think I'm going to try to get a sample of the henna and try a test strand - I'm so fussy about what colour comes out that I definitely need to test first lol!

I know the hair health benefits are huge, but my big concern with henna is definitely the being stuck with it side of things though. I know I'll probably want my natural hair colour back one day, and I don't want to have to do that on short hair or wait 5+ years to grow it all back out to the length I want :(

Tisiloves
September 21st, 2012, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the reply, thats good to know that the treatment wouldn't mess with the colour! I think I'm going to try to get a sample of the henna and try a test strand - I'm so fussy about what colour comes out that I definitely need to test first lol!

I know the hair health benefits are huge, but my big concern with henna is definitely the being stuck with it side of things though. I know I'll probably want my natural hair colour back one day, and I don't want to have to do that on short hair or wait 5+ years to grow it all back out to the length I want :(

If you're not 100% sure I'd semi-perm rather than henna, ask jojo about how permanent Lush henna is.

boofles
September 21st, 2012, 03:22 AM
ask jojo about how permanent Lush henna is.

I saw her posts whilst I was digging for it and spotted that about 2 years ago she was praising it, then suddenly changed her mind and said if she had known that it would keep getting darker and could not be removed, she would never do it and hopes people learn from her mistakes.

That post is actually part of the reason for this thread :)

Tisiloves
September 21st, 2012, 03:25 AM
I saw her posts whilst I was digging for it and spotted that about 2 years ago she was praising it, then suddenly changed her mind and said if she had known that it would keep getting darker and could not be removed, she would never do it and hopes people learn from her mistakes.

That post is actually part of the reason for this thread :)

Yay, learning from the mistakes of others (because it's so much easier than having to learn from your own).

boofles
September 21st, 2012, 04:07 AM
Ok, so after a bit more research, I think the risks of henna and its permanence probably outweigh the benefits for me at least - I change my mind way too often for it to be safe :p

So, my plan for now would be:

1) Dye hair using semi-permanent colour
2) Get 1inch trim
3) Seal hair colour and trim with treatment

My question now I guess is whether I should use something like the Jasmine and Henna Fluff-ease (https://www.lush.co.uk/product/239/Jasmine-and-Henna-Fluff-Eaze) which doesn't deposit colour and makes hair hair super-soft and shiney, or a Cassia treatment.

I've never done a cassia treatment before though, so I'm worried about getting the wrong thing or it reacting to the semi-permanent colour (I'll be aiming for red, so red+yellow = orange?? I wouldn't want that :()