PDA

View Full Version : 2 years of growth! Surprised myself today.

coffinhert
September 20th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I haven't taken an update photo in a long time and just took one today and surprised myself! Looks just how I always wished for. I did put a lot of indigo in my ends and am hennaing only higher up, so in a few years it will be all grown out henna red. Woo! Haven't been to a hairdresser in a couple years, I micro-trim my own hair in front of a mirror twice a year, and that's made a huge difference in growing it out.

Photo 1: 2 years ago, starting point, when I realized I needed to do something with my hair and NOT cut it and dye it anymore!
Starting: shampoo, conditioner, dyed red at salon, layers cut by stylist

Photo 2: About a year ago, hennaed over all the damage, growing out, a little too much coconut oil in it for the photo but feeling better since it hasn't had box dye in it for a while. Conditioner only washing for a few months, with vinegar rinses:

Photo 3: Today, snapped this randomly and was totally amazed at how my hair looks these days! I've reached the point where I don't think about it too much. I rub coconut/castor oil on my scalp then condition it out (condition, rinse, condition, rinse) then vinegar rinse, a couple times a week, then throw it up in a claw clip when it's damp.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9362&pictureid=122054http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9362&pictureid=124031https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/417260_439222356120562_1663750658_n.jpg

akilina
September 20th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Wow it looks very pretty :)
I love the color too.
That is great that you are so happy with your hair finally. I can not wait until I can say I feel that way about my own hair.

coffinhert
September 20th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Wow it looks very pretty :)
I love the color too.
That is great that you are so happy with your hair finally. I can not wait until I can say I feel that way about my own hair.

I was really unhappy with it for a long time (about a year) growing out the bad layers. It's hard to stop worrying but worry doesn't change anything, hang in there and before you know it the time will have passed.

akilina
September 20th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I was really unhappy with it for a long time (about a year) growing out the bad layers. It's hard to stop worrying but worry doesn't change anything, hang in there and before you know it the time will have passed.
I hope that a year from now I am happy with it! I'll keep hoping :] I always have a fear that my hairs terminal length is above BSL for some reason.
What is your hair type? Like..thickness and density?

SnowyDream
September 20th, 2012, 10:26 PM
You got some pretty hair, I'm having to grow mine out from wear it was colored. I just cut four inches off the back and now its about shoulder length :( but at least theirs no more dye in it :D

coffinhert
September 20th, 2012, 10:32 PM
I hope that a year from now I am happy with it! I'll keep hoping :] I always have a fear that my hairs terminal length is above BSL for some reason.
What is your hair type? Like..thickness and density?

Hmm, I've never been hair-typed. Maybe someone can tell from the photos?

My hair is really soft to the touch and the strands are not very thick, probably medium weight. It has a distinct wave, but I encourage the wave more than it would be naturally, by finger-curling. I just measured my ponytail and it's 3.5 inches around.

Micayla47
September 20th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Wow! beautiful and what a HUGE difference! i've been on lhc for 4 months and i feel so impatient for my hair to get "there." seeing your progress pictures really helps me stay motivated :)

akilina
September 20th, 2012, 10:49 PM

My hair is really soft to the touch and the strands are not very thick, probably medium weight. It has a distinct wave, but I encourage the wave more than it would be naturally, by finger-curling. I just measured my ponytail and it's 3.5 inches around.
Oh I just meant how thick. My pony tail used to be 3.5 too..but now it is 3.25 so I lost 1/4 inch sadly. It has a lot of new growth though.
I just wondered if we were similar. If ours were the same it would be total hair inspiration! My hair is sort of fine medium. A weird mixture of both.
I have a lot of it but my ends go so thin because of layers and a good sized section of my hair is growing out from an undercut on the side of my head. Also, I am having a bad fall shed.

MORE
September 21st, 2012, 01:37 AM

I think that you sound like a 2a!

Your hair looks beautiful, good job!!:)

Accalia
September 21st, 2012, 01:52 AM
Congrats! It looks very pretty and healthy! :D

Lucky
September 21st, 2012, 01:57 AM
Looks great! I love moments like that when you realize how much progress you've made :)

Tota
September 21st, 2012, 02:13 AM
Congatulations! Your progress is amazing!

MaryO
September 21st, 2012, 02:16 AM
Your hair looks lovely! Congrats! 😊

Ambystoma
September 21st, 2012, 02:27 AM
It looks so glossy and pretty - congrats!

Avital88
September 21st, 2012, 02:31 AM
A huge impovement..Your hair looks very good, it is so much thicker and i love the glossyness/shine

rach
September 21st, 2012, 02:33 AM
looks great :)

Tisiloves
September 21st, 2012, 02:43 AM
Great growing and great condition, too.

Jorja
September 21st, 2012, 02:52 AM
Wow, it looks like completely different hair - well done your care has definitely paid off! I'm tempted by hendigo now. Only really hennaed up until now.

alyanna
September 21st, 2012, 03:00 AM
Nice!

Your progress confirms to me that often, length makes the hair looks thicker and fuller. My hair also looked thinnest when it was shoulder length, sort of like your starting shot.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 21st, 2012, 03:09 AM
Lovely hair! You are obviously looking after it well:)

Falcore
September 21st, 2012, 03:20 AM
Really good progress!

Lissandria
September 21st, 2012, 04:48 AM
:agape: Very inspiring progress and beautiful shiny hair :crush:

Mindy
September 21st, 2012, 05:51 AM
That is wonderful progress! You're hair looks so shiny and healthy now!

browneyedsusan
September 21st, 2012, 05:55 AM
Very nice! :cheese:

Good for you!

MasCat
September 21st, 2012, 06:16 AM
I like your progress :)

Great hair!

vb
September 21st, 2012, 07:03 AM
Pretty hair.

coffinhert
September 21st, 2012, 10:03 AM
Your progress confirms to me that often, length makes the hair looks thicker and fuller. My hair also looked thinnest when it was shoulder length, sort of like your starting shot.

I always thought my hair was pretty thin, but now that I've been caring for it properly I have to change my perspective. I wonder if stopping shampoo and starting to oil my scalp with coconut/castor might have made a huge difference in the thickness. My hair was falling out pretty bad and my scalp was bleeding and cracking before I switched routines. No more shampoo for me, ever! Oil and CO ftw!

Roscata
September 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM
Happy hair anniversary, coffinhert! :)
Your hair has improved so much! It looks very healthy and shinny. Congrats on your progress! :D

Cowgirl16
September 21st, 2012, 10:53 AM
Congratulations! Your hair looks beautiful :D

CurlyMopTop
September 21st, 2012, 12:05 PM
Very nice progress! I love the color too. :D

jacqueline101
September 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM
Your hair looks lovely.

shutterpillar
September 21st, 2012, 12:15 PM
it looks lovely! congrats!

lunalocks
September 21st, 2012, 12:36 PM
What an improvement from picture 1. congrats and happy growing!

sarah112786
September 21st, 2012, 12:48 PM
Looks great and much healthier now! Great progress!

lapushka
September 21st, 2012, 05:11 PM
It looks great. You've come a long way! :)