PDA

View Full Version : Places where your hair simply doesn't like to go?

krustallos
September 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I have asked this question to a couple of friends and all of them dismissed it as plain craziness, so I thought here was the only place where I might get understood.

Has anyone else experienced having the hair looking really bad every time they would step into an specific place, without being able to find any reasonable explanation for that?

I'll try to clarify the question presenting my case.
I live more or less nearby a shopping centre, and I buy most of my food in the supermarket they have there. Sometimes I also go there to buy other stuff, for the computer, or books. Well, every time I pass by a mirror or go to the toilet, I see my hair frizzing completely, the baby hairs going really wild and even the locks separating in different directions.
My hair never behaves like that in any other place. I sometimes get a bit of a frizz and some polite baby hair party when it is raining or really humid around - but never anything like that.

I've built some theories around it, but none of them seem to really make sense.
First, as I usually walk over there, and it is a long walk down a hill, I catch a lot of wind in the hair - which could be responsible for the mess. But not only I'm always wearing a bonnet to protect the hair, but I've also asked a friend to drive me there in a car once just to check out. I also tried going without the bonnet.

I also thought that the intense (very intense!) electric light could be exposing problems I have normally but can't seem to notice. So I subjected my hair, in front of a mirror, to all different kinds of lightning, even looking at a light bulb through it, and it didn't look like that.

The only thing I could think without finding a direct negation is that somehow the air conditioning could make the air in the place so dry that the hair would answer immediately - but is this possible at all? I mean, if I've been like five minutes or even less at the place?

I'd also like to add that I'm really naïve with hair care. So if my question is really silly and obvious, please pardon me there. But, honestly, I feel so puzzled! Because I'm not talking of those differences of hair that you experience according to different lights, climate or even day. This is like seeing through a mirror a parallel dimension where your hair is terrible, messy and unhealthy!

chou
September 20th, 2012, 06:48 PM
I thought I was the only one!! This is how I feel at one of my part-time jobs. I have a fifteen minute walk there from my other job and it's across this long, rectangular park in an otherwise densely building covered urban area--it's a total wind tunnel. I usually put it up for the walk or try to desperately un-muss it when I get inside. But when I check out my hair in the mirror it still looks INSANE and ragamuffiny and there are baby hairs and frizz and my hair color looks so dull and awful. I've stopped looking too closely in the mirror. Instead I tell myself that it's just a combo of the wind and the worst flourescent lightbulbs in the world. Otherwise I would feel so unhappy about my appearance during my entire shift. It's also possible that the climate control in the building (it is dehumidified to protect the archival materials there) dries out my hair.

Seeshami
September 20th, 2012, 07:06 PM
The naughty mess doesn't like to go any where I want him to go. He always does the opposite of what I want.

lydiajo
September 20th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I'd also like to add that I'm really naïve with hair care. So if my question is really silly and obvious, please pardon me there. But, honestly, I feel so puzzled! Because I'm not talking of those differences of hair that you experience according to different lights, climate or even day. This is like seeing through a mirror a parallel dimension where your hair is terrible, messy and unhealthy!

Do you get any emotions from the place? Does the air or sounds seem different. My friend from university lived in an old house. It always made me feel sad even though I enjoyed the people. I also felt it was stuffy and stale even with the wind blowing thru it. My hair was shoulder length and took on a life of it's own when I was there. It wasn't just me, it was all women. We did some research and during the previous 100 yrs a lot of bad stuff happened concerning crazy women.

We did a banishing spell then a protection spell. After that, the house felt welcoming and fresh and best of all, no more crazy hair. Unless I arrived with it that way.

piffyanne
September 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM
The naughty mess doesn't like to go any where I want him to go. He always does the opposite of what I want.

:couch: I KNEW it! The Anne-hairs are in league with the NM!!!! shudder: :run:

spidermom
September 20th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I used to have a hair stylist with lighting that made my hair look dull and the exact opposite of shiny. My hair looked its worst in her shop, but she did a good job and always trimmed off the amount I asked for. (she's retired)

krustallos
September 20th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I thought I was the only one!! This is how I feel at one of my part-time jobs. I have a fifteen minute walk there from my other job and it's across this long, rectangular park in an otherwise densely building covered urban area--it's a total wind tunnel. I usually put it up for the walk or try to desperately un-muss it when I get inside. But when I check out my hair in the mirror it still looks INSANE and ragamuffiny and there are baby hairs and frizz and my hair color looks so dull and awful. I've stopped looking too closely in the mirror. Instead I tell myself that it's just a combo of the wind and the worst flourescent lightbulbs in the world. Otherwise I would feel so unhappy about my appearance during my entire shift. It's also possible that the climate control in the building (it is dehumidified to protect the archival materials there) dries out my hair.

It's really frustrating! I also never know whether is best to just leave as it is and don't think about it or at least try to make it acceptable fixing just with the fingers.
If in the case I told it is also climate control, I can't imagine why they'd put it this way in a shopping centre. Perhaps it is a conspiracy to make people feel ugly and spend more in beauty products :D

Maybe just like the cats, the hair creatures believe that just because they are pretty and we like them, they can afford to be temperamental. But the day shall come of our revenge!

Do you get any emotions from the place? Does the air or sounds seem different. My friend from university lived in an old house. It always made me feel sad even though I enjoyed the people. I also felt it was stuffy and stale even with the wind blowing thru it. My hair was shoulder length and took on a life of it's own when I was there. It wasn't just me, it was all women. We did some research and during the previous 100 yrs a lot of bad stuff happened concerning crazy women.

Well, you know, it is a shopping centre - if you ask me, I'd say it's the bloody temple of Leviathan! But I don't know if it could be haunted in that sense. It is a huge place, with hundreds of stores. It would have to be a true army of bogles! Is that possible?

Faux
September 20th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Anywhere where there's air pollution. I get so greasy. Yuck.

gthlvrmx
September 20th, 2012, 11:01 PM
i havent noticed as i dont wear my hair down anymore. i can only see the new hairs if i look closer in a mirror and the only place i do know my hair gets CURLY is at the beach. and it feels weird to me like theres something in it making it harder or something. it must be the water and salt in the air. i do love how curly it gets though :3 although, its only the new baby hairs on top that i see curling :p i keep my hair tucked away all the time.

Seeshami
September 20th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Maybe just like the cats, the hair creatures believe that just because they are pretty and we like them, they can afford to be temperamental. But the day shall come of our revenge!

No my cats are nicer to me then The Naughty Mess. And The Naughty Mess has been officially classified as a Hair Monster by my Sister's SO

:couch: I KNEW it! The Anne-hairs are in league with the NM!!!! shudder: :run:

The Naughty Mess says that he knows, and that the dark side has cookies and cool people.

piffyanne
September 24th, 2012, 03:56 AM
No my cats are nicer to me then The Naughty Mess. And The Naughty Mess has been officially classified as a Hair Monster by my Sister's SO

The Naughty Mess says that he knows, and that the dark side has cookies and cool people.
....Now that I think of it, I've seen Spidermom's hair typing when she wasn't looking. How many LHCers have hair with autonomy? There should be a list. :nod:

jacqueline101
September 24th, 2012, 07:24 AM
My acts the worse inside a stuffy car.

Seeshami
September 26th, 2012, 10:58 AM
....Now that I think of it, I've seen Spidermom's hair typing when she wasn't looking. How many LHCers have hair with autonomy? There should be a list. :nod:

I think all hair has it's own personality and consciousness, sometimes they just haven't become self aware yet and their "chauffeur" (as the naughty mess has decided that's my purpose) doesn't enable them.

Naughty mess said he's change his mind and chauffeur is to nice I am his slave. And that I can think about shaving him off all I want but I will look awful as my head is misshapen..

melusine963
September 28th, 2012, 01:47 PM
krustallos, I would guess it's a combination of all the things you mentioned. The harsh lighting undoubtedly shows up every stray frizzy. Also, what's your bonnet made of? In winter I wear a woolly (partly synthetic) hat, and it makes my hair stand up on end whenever I remove it. The one time you walked there without your bonnet, it probably was the wind that gave you frizzies.

papera
September 28th, 2012, 03:25 PM
My hair hates air planes and flying - it gets greasy on top, super-dry on the ends, tangly, and generally *yuck* :rolleyes:
But then I myself don't like flying at all, so maybe it's not only the change of air pressure and air conditioning in the plane, but also stress hormones that make it so bad :(

I haven't noticed changes anywhere else, but I also never paid attention to it ...

krustallos
September 28th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Thank you for the answer, melusine963!

The bonnet is felt. I don't think it has any synthetic stuff on it - it doesn't feel like it, and it was made more than eighty years ago.
I wear it always, specifically because of the wind (and dust, and whatever else fills the demonic breath of cities), but then I thought it might somehow be one of the problems, as you suggest, and tried going without it. It made no difference but a bit more of a mess because of the wind.

The thing is that I walk to almost every place go, and not rarely the wind 'plays' with me a little, or a lot. But when I go to this specific place, it's just something else: it is too much of a difference.
Last weekend, for example, I spent three or four hours standing on a windy place, and walked forty minutes or so after that. But fixing the hair every once in a while kept it civilized (or near that).
At this specific place, once I get there all is beyond remedy!

krustallos
September 28th, 2012, 03:55 PM
My hair hates air planes and flying - it gets greasy on top, super-dry on the ends, tangly, and generally *yuck* :rolleyes:
But then I myself don't like flying at all, so maybe it's not only the change of air pressure and air conditioning in the plane, but also stress hormones that make it so bad :(

I haven't noticed changes anywhere else, but I also never paid attention to it ...

Planes are terrible!
I haven't been in one ever since my hair is longer, but once I took an old book with me to read whilst traveling and the air pressure practically destroyed the book. The leaves coiled and later on even changed a bit in texture.
And, well, hair is a bit more fine and delicate than paper, isn't it?