PDA

View Full Version : LHC hair fundraiser? please read

hermosamendoza
September 20th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I know this is more for the site support part but I thought more people would see this in The "Mane" forum.

I know for a really long time we haven't been able to upload pictures. And I don't know about you but one of my FAVORITE things about LHC was browsing albums and looking at the hair pictures!

From what I understand it's a techincal issue in the programming of the website and it costs money that LHC hasn't had for a year or just under a year?

I'm wondering if we could come together as a community and hold a fundraiser. We need to find out HOW MUCH IT WILL COST and HOW MANY WILL DONATE. I for one would be able to donate and there are a lot of members here I hope would be willing to donate, even if it's a dollar.

:applauseWHAT DO YOU SAY??:applause

akilina
September 20th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I like this idea. I am curious to see what other members say and maybe input from mods to see if this is an option.
I am sure there are many other members out there who would be willing to make a donation, even if small.

spidermom
September 20th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I could donate.

Ginbill
September 20th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I would donate.

shutterpillar
September 20th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I would be willing to give a bit. :) And seriously... there are THOUSANDS of people here. Imagine if everyone just donated a dollar.

The one thing I would like to be sure of is that the money would, indeed, be going to LHC and getting our favorite features working again. I have been a member here for about 6 months, but that is still new enough for me to not entirely put 100% trust in throwing my money out there. I want to make sure it will be going towards what I am told it will be going towards.

Darkessa
September 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I very much wish that I could donate...
But I will support this in every way I can!

I miss being able to upload pictures of progress!

KittyBird
September 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Sounds like a good idea, I'd love to have the album function back! I don't have that much money to spare, but I could probably donate a bit of the money intended to spend on hair toys ;)

Nightshade
September 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Count me in :)

hermosamendoza
September 20th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I would be willing to give a bit. :) And seriously... there are THOUSANDS of people here. Imagine if everyone just donated a dollar.

The one thing I would like to be sure of is that the money would, indeed, be going to LHC and getting our favorite features working again. I have been a member here for about 6 months, but that is still new enough for me to not entirely put 100% trust in throwing my money out there. I want to make sure it will be going towards what I am told it will be going towards.

I've been a member for almost 3 years and it is the most trust-worthy nicest forum I've been a member of (hair and non-hair related).

I like this idea. I am curious to see what other members say and maybe input from mods to see if this is an option.

I am sure there are many other members out there who would be willing to make a donation, even if small.

Yes I'd love the moderators input cause they're the ones who could get it done! :D

furnival
September 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Me too :beerchug:

millyaulait
September 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I'd donate if it would definitely get the problem resolved, but has it been acknowledged by the main mod/admin/etc?

Didn't it take months to get into contact with them? Even if we did get up money & it went to fixing it, wouldn't it take months longer just to get it to the main person anyway? I think I heard that it wasn't a priority for whoever it is, which is fine, but probably more time consuming.

I don't mean this in a debbie downer way! I really, really miss the photo feature. :)

hermosamendoza
September 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I'd donate if it would definitely get the problem resolved, but has it been acknowledged by the main mod/admin/etc?

Didn't it take months to get into contact with them? Even if we did get up money & it went to fixing it, wouldn't it take months longer just to get it to the main person anyway? I think I heard that it wasn't a priority for whoever it is, which is fine, but probably more time consuming.

I don't mean this in a debbie downer way! I really, really miss the photo feature. :)

Darn I didn't know that. I know on the site support there has been lots of posts about it and the mods are usually the ones who respond or I thought it was mods responding. Maybe if we all make a big fuss on site support we can get something done.

LHC doesn't seem complete without pictures...what's the point of a hair website if you can't look at updated pictures of hair???

Darkessa
September 20th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Darn I didn't know that. I know on the site support there has been lots of posts about it and the mods are usually the ones who respond or I thought it was mods responding. Maybe if we all make a big fuss on site support we can get something done.

LHC doesn't seem complete without pictures...what's the point of a hair website if you can't look at updated pictures of hair???

Im with you on that.
I want them to care enough to try to do something!
Photos are the single best feature other than support from others on this site.
We need our inspiration back!

hermosamendoza
September 20th, 2012, 02:46 PM
From what I can tell by looking at albums it was MID MARCH 2012 when the last pictures where uploaded "normally"

akilina
September 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I do miss looking at albums a lot! I loved looking at everyones photos..even if we didn't talk or were not friends on here.
I also love albums with random stuff like pets and hair toys and crafty art projects people would make and post.
It totally feels incomplete not having the picture function. Yes, I could make a blog, or upload from photo bucket but its just so much easier to access having the albums on here.
While I am not really worried about it..I also like that you have to be a member to view albums.

Nae
September 20th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Count me in, I can afford a few bucks.

shutterpillar
September 20th, 2012, 03:05 PM
While I am not really worried about it..I also like that you have to be a member to view albums.

This is the main reason I would donate. I like that only established LHC members can see my photo albums.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 20th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I would donate. :)

Lissandria
September 20th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I would donate :)

I would love to hear the mods/admin take on this as a solution too.

mzBANGBANG
September 20th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I would donate if I knew for sure it would get fixed. I'd wanna know how much it would cost so I'd know how much to contribute.

Nae
September 20th, 2012, 03:56 PM
If you want to donate you just have to click the little orange button on the top. I am sure any amount would help.

I personally couldn't care less if the albums get fixed, but there are costs for running this place and I spend a ton of time here so I figured why not?

thatcrazychick
September 20th, 2012, 04:04 PM
From what I understand it's a techincal issue in the programming of the website and it costs money that LHC hasn't had for a year or just under a year?

Programming or server space issue? Either way, I was wondering why I couldn't start an album! :(

And yeah, there's a donate button. But I don't know if you can "earmark" the money to specifically fixing the album issue. It might end up, say, upgrading server space.

Meanwhile I'll be using photobucket.

vanillabones
September 20th, 2012, 05:56 PM
I would donate too. I come on here every day and would love for the albums to work again. I wish I could work on mine.

embee
September 20th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I don't have Paypal, and have not figured out how else to donate. Long ago when I first joined I had a mailing address for the site owner and was able to send a postal money order, but now she's moved and I don't know where.

For sure this site deserves my support, I come here almost every day!

jeanniet
September 20th, 2012, 07:17 PM
If you want to donate you just have to click the little orange button on the top. I am sure any amount would help.

I personally couldn't care less if the albums get fixed, but there are costs for running this place and I spend a ton of time here so I figured why not?

This. What I'm hearing is that people want the albums and are willing to donate for that, but not for any other reason. Don't we all use the site, albums or not? Don't we all learn from it? Isn't that a reason to donate, outside of the album issue? I donated $25 about a year ago, because I figured that's not much a month for the value I get from this site. I'm about due to donate again, and I'll do it whether or not the album issue is fixed (which I think is more a time/skill issue than monetary).

kittengirl
September 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM
I could donate a few dollars!

Allychan
September 20th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Count me in. Usually when you pay with Paypal you can send a 'note' with your payment, not sure if that applies for donations though. But if it does maybe adding in the 'send a note box' we could all write a 'please fix the photo upload button' that way they'd know how keen we are to fix it

sarahbrownie
September 20th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Perhaps we can do something that Regretsy does where we can do a craft drive. That way us poor folks could help out! I can make something in exchange for someone else to buy it, however the proceeds go to LHC!

Shorty89
September 20th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I think part of the issue is that the couple people who are admins, not just mods haven't been available, or whatever to do it.

akilina
September 20th, 2012, 09:14 PM
This. What I'm hearing is that people want the albums and are willing to donate for that, but not for any other reason. Don't we all use the site, albums or not? Don't we all learn from it? Isn't that a reason to donate, outside of the album issue? I donated $25 about a year ago, because I figured that's not much a month for the value I get from this site. I'm about due to donate again, and I'll do it whether or not the album issue is fixed (which I think is more a time/skill issue than monetary).
Wow, actually, great that you pointed this little tidbit out!!
I have changed my mind...I totally agree with what you are saying.
While I am broke as a joke right now, this is completely legitimate.

Micayla47
September 20th, 2012, 09:22 PM
great idea!! count me in!

Accalia
September 21st, 2012, 03:03 AM
I think this is a great idea! I'm willing to donate :)

Avital88
September 21st, 2012, 03:09 AM
this is an amazing idea, i miss everyones updates.. it makes me visit the site less often..So its a win win situation for us and the one thats hosting this site

Milui Elenath
September 21st, 2012, 03:11 AM
I didn't even ever notice the donation button and even when it was pointed out I was looking for a moment before I saw it. Good to know. :)

MasCat
September 21st, 2012, 06:55 AM
Next month, when my money is in I'm just gona click the donate" button.

I would like this site to last, albums or not, threads or not :) Let's all like the "donate" button on top :)

hermosamendoza
September 21st, 2012, 08:25 AM
I agree...with as much money as I spend on products suggested here I could give more than for just a fundraiser. And i like the idea to add a note that says "please fix the photo upload button on the albums"

shutterpillar
September 21st, 2012, 08:38 AM

It's not that I will ONLY donate just to fix the albums issue. I guess it seems that way in my previous posts, but like I also said in my previous posts, I have only been here 6 months. While I have gathered it *IS* a wonderful and extremely helpful place to be (I even began a thread about just that in the Friendship area - about how I am spoiled by this forum), I am still not 100% about just throwing my money out blindly to support a cause when I have only been here 6 months. Most other forums I am apart of are a case where I know the admin and mods and I trust them. While I am sure this is a trustworthy place with good hearted people, I am still new and feeling my way around. I think the thought process in my last posts were that if this fundraiser actually worked and we understood the amount it would cost to fix this issue (if it is a monetary issue and not just time) and I donated a little to fix the albums and they were fixed, then it would raise my trust a little bit.
Perhaps that is the wrong way to go about it and I should just trust willingly and blindly put my money into this forum, but I have been scammed before by people I thought I trusted. I am just nervous of that ever happening again.

I hope that came across ok, and that everyone kind of understands my personal thought process around this. I plan to stick around here for a while. I really do - I love this place and it is a lovely forum with good people and a wealth of information on ALL topics. But I still need time and experience to gain my trust. :)

jacqueline101
September 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM
Can you donate with out credit cards? I don't have credit cards I have a birthday in november I get money.

WaitingSoLong
September 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM
I wonder if the albums being "broken" has discouraged new members at all since they can't have an album. I know it is confusing for them, they want to know what they are doing wrong and don't realize it is a forum wide issue. I guess they wouldn't know until they join?

teal
September 21st, 2012, 11:10 AM
I would donate money or technical expertise.

jeanniet
September 21st, 2012, 11:12 AM
It's not that I will ONLY donate just to fix the albums issue. I guess it seems that way in my previous posts, but like I also said in my previous posts, I have only been here 6 months. While I have gathered it *IS* a wonderful and extremely helpful place to be (I even began a thread about just that in the Friendship area - about how I am spoiled by this forum), I am still not 100% about just throwing my money out blindly to support a cause when I have only been here 6 months. Most other forums I am apart of are a case where I know the admin and mods and I trust them. While I am sure this is a trustworthy place with good hearted people, I am still new and feeling my way around. I think the thought process in my last posts were that if this fundraiser actually worked and we understood the amount it would cost to fix this issue (if it is a monetary issue and not just time) and I donated a little to fix the albums and they were fixed, then it would raise my trust a little bit.
Perhaps that is the wrong way to go about it and I should just trust willingly and blindly put my money into this forum, but I have been scammed before by people I thought I trusted. I am just nervous of that ever happening again.

I hope that came across ok, and that everyone kind of understands my personal thought process around this. I plan to stick around here for a while. I really do - I love this place and it is a lovely forum with good people and a wealth of information on ALL topics. But I still need time and experience to gain my trust. :)
I've already gotten my money's worth, and then some, so even if it were a scam (and sites don't run themselves) it makes no difference to me. I'm willing to pay for the value of what I receive, and this site has been such a valuable research tool--if you want to find anything on hair, you can do it here, long or short--I don't quite understand the fixation on restricting donations because of the album issue (not speaking to you specifically, but generally on what I seem to be hearing). If you've learned anything of use to youi, kick a few bucks in.

hermosamendoza
September 21st, 2012, 11:22 AM
Okay so we agree the site is valuable to us.
We agree we will donate.

How do we get in touch with the right people to fix this problem? I don't remember seeing any green or pink names (which means moderators right?) in the comments.

And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the site supported by ads? don't advertisers pay big bucks to have their ads here? How much funds could be lacking to fix the problem?

Golden
September 21st, 2012, 11:24 AM
I wonder if the albums being "broken" has discouraged new members at all since they can't have an album. I know it is confusing for them, they want to know what they are doing wrong and don't realize it is a forum wide issue. I guess they wouldn't know until they join?

Yeah I had this problem! I didn't know what I was doing wrong :confused:
I would love to donate some bucks to TLHC.
I've only been member since a month but I know this site for a over a year
and I've learned a lot.

gthlvrmx
September 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM
Okay so we agree the site is valuable to us.
We agree we will donate.

How do we get in touch with the right people to fix this problem? I don't remember seeing any green or pink names (which means moderators right?) in the comments.

And correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the site supported by ads? don't advertisers pay big bucks to have their ads here? How much funds could be lacking to fix the problem?

i guess the mods/admins would know!
as for the rest, i dont know and all i can figure from what i heard is that the mods/admins are all in it to make this site work but that some do different things?? so i think there might be one person who can fix the problem but they cant at the moment, maybe the funds but who knows how much theyd need. theyd need to come and make an announcement about it.

i would love to donate but im really short on money right now. but ill donate to lhc later on! maybe in winter :p its such a good informative site :)

justgreen
September 21st, 2012, 11:46 AM
Ok lovelies! Just got this straight from the owner's fingertips. I would have said horse's mouth, but since our owner is by no means a horse and she typed it to me, well you get the drift.

An upgrade is in TLHC's future *yay* and the upgrade WILL fix the picture issue. She also said that it warms her heart to know you folks want to donate and help.

Donations are ALWAYS welcome and well appreciated. I'm on the donation band wagon, I hope those who can donate, will. :agree:

Darkessa
September 21st, 2012, 11:54 AM
Ok lovelies! Just got this straight from the owner's fingertips. I would have said horse's mouth, but since our owner is by no means a horse and she typed it to me, well you get the drift.

An upgrade is in TLHC's future *yay* and the upgrade WILL fix the picture issue. She also said that it warms her heart to know you folks want to donate and help.

Donations are ALWAYS welcome and well appreciated. I'm on the donation band wagon, I hope those who can donate, will. :agree:

WOOO!!!! That is so wonderful to hear!

Did she by chance say when?

CurlyMopTop
September 21st, 2012, 11:59 AM
I'm in. :)

shutterpillar
September 21st, 2012, 12:05 PM
I don't quite understand the fixation on restricting donations because of the album issue (not speaking to you specifically, but generally on what I seem to be hearing). If you've learned anything of use to youi, kick a few bucks in.

I agree! And I will be doing just that. :)

Justgreen - awesome news! thank you!

Shepherdess
September 21st, 2012, 12:07 PM
Oh, I really really wish I could help donate! I'm pretty much all out of money right now though. :(

melusine963
September 21st, 2012, 12:07 PM

That's great news! Thanks for spreading the word. :blossom:

Unicorn
September 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Count me in!

I've been a member of LHC for some years now. If each person donated what they think is a fair 'membership' fee or what they can afford, even just a dollar or two; between us I've no doubt enough could be raised.

I'd love the album feature to be fixed, thought the truth is, I've had so much from this site, that I'd have to recognise a donation as a token thank you with no conditions attached.

Thank you admins and S for giving us such a wonderful place to call our 'e-home'.

Unicorn

hermosamendoza
September 21st, 2012, 03:32 PM
"Originally Posted by jeanniet

I don't quite understand the fixation on restricting donations because of the album issue (not speaking to you specifically, but generally on what I seem to be hearing). If you've learned anything of use to youi, kick a few bucks in."

I never meant I (or anyone else) would be restricting donations to get the problem fixed. I've never really paid attention to the donation button until recently. And since a lot of people are bummed about the picture problem I figured it would be a good way to get everyone's attention that we can donate and help boost the site. :D

As for me I have to wait until next friday the 28th when we get paid. But I don't see why donating money once or two or three times a year would be a bad thing.

"Originally Posted by justgreen

Donations are ALWAYS welcome and well appreciated. I'm on the donation band wagon, I hope those who can donate, will. "

YAY, can't wait for the upgrade and can't wait to see how it looks and works.

justgreen you got ahold of the owner and I was wondering if you could ask for a way for those without credit cards or pay pal to send in a donation via snail mail. :D

justgreen
September 21st, 2012, 04:25 PM
In all fairness, I posted what I was able to post. The upgrade won't be anytime SOON, but it is coming. For those of us who went the better part of a year without this site back in '08, it was frustrating. So at least we are still up and running. Patience is a virtue. :agree: And yes, the owner is possibly going to have to pay to have the upgrade, so all donations would be appreciated.

As for the question about how to donate if you don't have a debit/credit card or paypal, I asked and will wait to see if there is a solution. Hope this helps. :flowers:

Unicorn
September 21st, 2012, 06:19 PM
Thank you JustGreen.

Unicorn

embee
September 21st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Justy - I would pay by snail mail too. I did once, many years ago, but then the QCB moved and that was that, I had no address. Will you post to this thread if you find out how to donate by snail mail?

AcornMystic
September 21st, 2012, 07:57 PM
I've already gotten my money's worth, and then some, so even if it were a scam (and sites don't run themselves) it makes no difference to me. I'm willing to pay for the value of what I receive, and this site has been such a valuable research tool--if you want to find anything on hair, you can do it here, long or short--I don't quite understand the fixation on restricting donations because of the album issue (not speaking to you specifically, but generally on what I seem to be hearing). If you've learned anything of use to youi, kick a few bucks in.

Because donating to a broken forum that may stay broken forever (apparently we're supposed to act as though this is permanent) sounds a little like we're not getting the full experience and our money isn't going into having a fully interactive stable site. The albums are just stuck as they are. Half-ass is not something I do often, especially if there is money involved... I would hope that others do the same. Also, I'm sure it's been said, but for a site that is focused on hair, visuals is kinda important. We need to see what is really working, as much as I'd like to take people's word for it..

ETA: I should say that I don't mean to sound ungrateful... I enjoy this site very much and I find so much inspiration here and info I had never considered.. I'm just pointing out some things that some others are willing to overlook and that if we keep up with a certain level of standards and show just how serious we are about the issue and the condition of the site maybe the administrator(s) will come up to the pitchers plate and show us how serious they are about maintaining their site.

Greenfire
September 21st, 2012, 08:12 PM
I admin a forum in which the advertisements pay for the upkeep and running of the forum. I have the option of taking donations to remove the advertisements for members, but I don't bother, just using the extra money from them to add more album space. I have adblock on myself, but do know that there are advertisements here on the board, and with it having a good deal more traffic than my forum does, I'm surprised that there isn't already enough money to purchase more album space.

At the very least, there is always the ability to purge old albums if there really isn't any more room available, but I would guess that there is considerable money made from the ads on here.

justgreen
September 21st, 2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks, Justy - I would pay by snail mail too. I did once, many years ago, but then the QCB moved and that was that, I had no address. Will you post to this thread if you find out how to donate by snail mail?

You are quite welcome, to everyone who said thanks.:) embee, I will post just as soon as I hear something.:D

justgreen
September 21st, 2012, 10:13 PM
Because donating to a broken forum that may stay broken forever (apparently we're supposed to act as though this is permanent) sounds a little like we're not getting the full experience and our money isn't going into having a fully interactive stable site. The albums are just stuck as they are. Half-ass is not something I do often, especially if there is money involved... I would hope that others do the same. Also, I'm sure it's been said, but for a site that is focused on hair, visuals is kinda important. We need to see what is really working, as much as I'd like to take people's word for it..

ETA: I should say that I don't mean to sound ungrateful... I enjoy this site very much and I find so much inspiration here and info I had never considered.. I'm just pointing out some things that some others are willing to overlook and that if we keep up with a certain level of standards and show just how serious we are about the issue and the condition of the site maybe the administrator(s) will come up to the pitchers plate and show us how serious they are about maintaining their site.

Hi there. I'm not quite sure if you've read my postings on this thread. If not, I suggest you back up a few posts please. If you have, then I have this to say. This forum exists ONLY because the owner was willing to step up and resurrect it and make it what TLHC is known for. Knowledge and friendship. This is NOT a democracy. The only thing not working on this site, at the moment, is the photo upload. The majority of this forum has been using an offsite photo storage (photobucket, etc.) for years, and uploading that way. The ability to upload photos directly from our computers , as far as I know, has only been around a couple of years. I don't even think I've used it more than a couple of times. Anyway, I'm really sorry that some of you feel it's really a hassle. To a lot of us, it's a privilege just to be here and have a stable place to visit and blog and ask for advice/help. Not just with hair. With marriage problems, health, children, hoo-haw waxing for heaven's sake (everything under the sun).

I have trouble wording things sometimes. I take a drug that scrambles my thoughts and makes my typing dyslexic. I went to the owner this morning with questions and she was so kind and helpful , taking time out of her hectic life, to answer me and feel humbled that people were willing to help out with donations. THE UPGRADE WILL HAPPEN. Until then, we just have to be patient and make do. If you don't feel you are not getting your money's worth , if you do donate, I'm sorry.

I apologise to anyone if I've stepped on toes. :(

owlathena
September 21st, 2012, 10:53 PM
Wow...has that BRIGHT ORANGE donation button always been there? How come I've never noticed it! I'll be making a donation very soon. This site has been an amazing resource for me for every area of my life, and a few bucks here and there (a sacrifice to the hair gods!) to keep it going and improving is nothing. Glad to hear there is an (eventual) upgrade in the works!

Natalia
September 22nd, 2012, 01:19 AM
I will have to check my account but i think im out for the month next month looks good though if my cadalytic converter doesnt bust on me. Does it do it via pay pal?

DancingQueen
September 22nd, 2012, 01:59 AM
I can only donate very little, as I am on a really tight budget these days. But I will if I can.

Nae
September 22nd, 2012, 06:05 AM
I will have to check my account but i think im out for the month next month looks good though if my cadalytic converter doesnt bust on me. Does it do it via pay pal?

Yep, it takes you straight to pay pal.

hellucy
September 22nd, 2012, 06:16 AM
I hold my hands up and say ' I had never noticed the donation button before' but now that I have $5 is on its way - it's not much but it's what I can afford today, in a few months I'll send more.
It will be nice to get the albums back up again but this site has so much more to it than just the albums - We will all just have to re-direct some of that patience we use for our hair growing.

Unicorn
September 22nd, 2012, 08:28 AM
Wow, Justgreen, please don't apologise, you've been good enough to make the whole communication process pain free and uncomplicated!

AcornMystic, actually you do sound very ungrateful. There is no charge for LHC, so we actually have no right to make any demands at all, never mind 'show just how serious we are about the issue', considering no one's demanding payment for anything. We're guests here. As for standards, LHC has the highest standards of any forum I've ever known, and I've known a fair few. I'm hugely grateful that such an information source is freely available at all.

Plus
Easy to navigate board
Clearly defined forums
Amazing archive
Lots of helpful friendly members
Personalised bookmarking tools showing exactly what is unread
Personlised list of threads one has participated in
Discrete but highly effective moderation
Friendly environment
23.99 hour access

All it needs to do now is make coffee and do the dusting and I'm set. :)

Lets face it we can post pics if we wish, we just have to host them else where, as happens on most other forums. We've been wonderfully pampered and should be grateful for the time we had it, rather than petulant if we have to make a little effort for ourselves.

Unicorn

Carolyn
September 22nd, 2012, 09:56 AM
Hi there. I'm not quite sure if you've read my postings on this thread. If not, I suggest you back up a few posts please. If you have, then I have this to say. This forum exists ONLY because the owner was willing to step up and resurrect it and make it what TLHC is known for. Knowledge and friendship. This is NOT a democracy. The only thing not working on this site, at the moment, is the photo upload. The majority of this forum has been using an offsite photo storage (photobucket, etc.) for years, and uploading that way. The ability to upload photos directly from our computers , as far as I know, has only been around a couple of years. I don't even think I've used it more than a couple of times. Anyway, I'm really sorry that some of you feel it's really a hassle. To a lot of us, it's a privilege just to be here and have a stable place to visit and blog and ask for advice/help. Not just with hair. With marriage problems, health, children, hoo-haw waxing for heaven's sake (everything under the sun).

I have trouble wording things sometimes. I take a drug that scrambles my thoughts and makes my typing dyslexic. I went to the owner this morning with questions and she was so kind and helpful , taking time out of her hectic life, to answer me and feel humbled that people were willing to help out with donations. THE UPGRADE WILL HAPPEN. Until then, we just have to be patient and make do. If you don't feel you are not getting your money's worth , if you do donate, I'm sorry.

I apologise to anyone if I've stepped on toes. :(Great post, Justy! I believe we could only upload an avatar pic from our computers until LHC was resurrected after The Great Crash. That's when we went from having photo threads to the albums.

There is no reason you can't do your own photo thread now. Titled with your user name and something about pictures. You will have to host your photos in an off site place like photobucket or tinypic. There are others but those are the two that immediately come to mind. You can have a conversation about your pics in your thread. When you want to add more pics, simply find your thread and add more pics. Its very simple to find all the threads you've started. Click on your user name at the top and then statistics and find all threads started by. Easy peasey. You can also post all the pics you want in your blog. You still have to upload from a hosting site. The benefit to this is you have more control in your blog. You can allow comments or not and you can choose a private, friends only blog or an open to LHC members with enough posts for blog privileges. I've noticed there are quite a few new blogs lately and I think that's wonderful.

Also remember pictures can be put in threads too. Want to show off that nice braid? There is a braid thread. There are also "style of the month" threads. You can add to those any time, not just in the specified month. I rarely looked at an albums in the past but I've always thought there were tons of pics for inspiration in the blogs and out on the various forums.

WaitingSoLong
September 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Nice post Unicorn! ITA!

AcornMystic
September 22nd, 2012, 04:27 PM

I apologise to anyone if I've stepped on toes. :(

Wow, Justgreen, please don't apologise, you've been good enough to make the whole communication process pain free and uncomplicated!

AcornMystic, actually you do sound very ungrateful. There is no charge for LHC, so we actually have no right to make any demands at all, never mind 'show just how serious we are about the issue', considering no one's demanding payment for anything. We're guests here. As for standards, LHC has the highest standards of any forum I've ever known, and I've known a fair few. I'm hugely grateful that such an information source is freely available at all.

Plus
Easy to navigate board
Clearly defined forums
Amazing archive
Lots of helpful friendly members
Personalised bookmarking tools showing exactly what is unread
Personlised list of threads one has participated in
Discrete but highly effective moderation
Friendly environment
23.99 hour access

All it needs to do now is make coffee and do the dusting and I'm set. :)

Lets face it we can post pics if we wish, we just have to host them else where, as happens on most other forums. We've been wonderfully pampered and should be grateful for the time we had it, rather than petulant if we have to make a little effort for ourselves.

Unicorn

Justgreen, I got some posts in before I decided to make my own at the risk of sounding ungrateful, so I most likely did not reach your posts, though it doesn't seem very difficult to do that on this forum. I read your post, I'll respond below in my post to Unicorn.

Unicorn. I am well aware of the standards that LHC holds. We may not be thinking of the same set of standards though. We are guests here, yes, but a forum holds no purpose if there are no 'guests' to use it. That simply means we should give ourselves more credit than we do and not fool ourselves into thinking the forum could function well enough without all of us. Yes, I am aware of how egotistical that sounds, but I'm hoping it'll be received by some of you that understand how a symbiotic relationship works. What I mean by us guests holding standards is that it will hopefully create a mutual desire and motivation with the admins, prioritize a little, to have a fully functioning site. It is not a bother that I have to put any effort into making my pictures viewable, it is that steps aren't being taken to fix a feature that the site provided either bringing professionals in that have time and experience. It is something that is being left to float in the abyss of uncertainty with a vague idea to look at it as though it is permanent. A perpetual way of running the site like that isn't really professional.

Maybe I'm just looking at it too professionally and not "well the glass is half full so deal"... Sorry if I am coming across as a hard-a**, there must be at least a few who see where I am coming from.

WaitingSoLong
September 22nd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Acorn, I think you worded your perspective well. I love hearing different perspectives and being stopped and made to think "huh, never thought of it that way" and you did just that. Tactfully, too, tho the original posting by you was not quite as tactful, I am more accepting of it now that I have read this reply.

One thing that is hard not to do here is to reply before reading all the responses. I really try not to do it, unless there are really hundreds. Even though you are responding to the original post, perhaps, if the conversation has morphed, it can be taken out of context.

PraiseCheeses
September 22nd, 2012, 04:46 PM

Thank you, thank you for relaying information back and forth! (I've read your subsequent posts too, and think it's great that there may be options in the future for those who choose not to use Paypal.) Money's a bit tight, but I just donated - even if the upgrade takes a long time, this site has been invaluable and has certainly saved me money in the past and will no doubt continue to do so.

It'll be wonderful to have the albums back.:wethree:

spookyghost
September 22nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
This site is amazing and I just made my donation! I would love to thank the owners of this site for creating it and making what it is today. Its the best and I dont think I could live without it!:D

Unicorn
September 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Justgreen, I got some posts in before I decided to make my own at the risk of sounding ungrateful, so I most likely did not reach your posts, though it doesn't seem very difficult to do that on this forum. I read your post, I'll respond below in my post to Unicorn.

Unicorn. I am well aware of the standards that LHC holds. We may not be thinking of the same set of standards though. We are guests here, yes, but a forum holds no purpose if there are no 'guests' to use it. That simply means we should give ourselves more credit than we do and not fool ourselves into thinking the forum could function well enough without all of us. Yes, I am aware of how egotistical that sounds, but I'm hoping it'll be received by some of you that understand how a symbiotic relationship works. What I mean by us guests holding standards is that it will hopefully create a mutual desire and motivation with the admins, prioritize a little, to have a fully functioning site. It is not a bother that I have to put any effort into making my pictures viewable, it is that steps aren't being taken to fix a feature that the site provided either bringing professionals in that have time and experience. It is something that is being left to float in the abyss of uncertainty with a vague idea to look at it as though it is permanent. A perpetual way of running the site like that isn't really professional.

Maybe I'm just looking at it too professionally and not "well the glass is half full so deal"... Sorry if I am coming across as a hard-a**, there must be at least a few who see where I am coming from.
Thank you for your response, however patronising. Yes, I am fully aware of what a symbiotic relationship entails. However, in any symbiotic relationship one needs to be mindful that neither party crosses the line into becoming parasitic, thus destroying the finely balanced symbiosis.

1) LHC as a forum is demanding nothing of it's members but courtesy and civility. In turn we receive courtesy and civility.

2) LHC receives whatever ad revenue and kudos that comes from being an heavily trafficked site, we in return receive free up to the minute information and huge amounts of support on a myriad of subjects.

3) LHC receives/demands? We in turn demand that specified functions are made available.

Point 3) is where I see the weakness in your symbiotic hypothesis. Bearing in mind that the suggestion of a donations has come from a member not the adminisrators/owner of LHC, and no one is obliged to donate.

If one expects a professional response then one must be prepared to meet the obligations on other side of such a professional exchange, including but not limited to;

Very clear user requirements/specifications.
Clear SLAs
Agreed time scales
Agreed financial imbursement for services provided.

Personally I think a donation and agreeing to the conditions of membership is by far easier, cheaper and more reasonable than making demands, I have no right to make, of someone who has provided a free 'service' for thousands of people, including me, for well over a decade.

I'm sure we are thinking of different standards. My standards include not making demands of an extremely good host, to satisfy my whims and not trying to use leverage I don't have, in order to force a response from someone who has no obligation to me.

A polite request is a different thing all together.

Unicorn

justgreen
September 22nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
Thank you for your response, however patronising. Yes, I am fully aware of what a symbiotic relationship entails. However, in any symbiotic relationship one needs to be mindful that neither party crosses the line into becoming parasitic, thus destroying the finely balanced symbiosis.

1) LHC as a forum is demanding nothing of it's members but courtesy and civility. In turn we receive courtesy and civility.

2) LHC receives whatever ad revenue and kudos that comes from being an heavily trafficked site, we in return receive free up to the minute information and huge amounts of support on a myriad of subjects.

3) LHC receives/demands? We in turn demand that specified functions are made available.

Point 3) is where I see the weakness in your symbiotic hypothesis. Bearing in mind that the suggestion of a donations has come from a member not the adminisrators/owner of LHC, and no one is obliged to donate.

If one expects a professional response then one must be prepared to meet the obligations on other side of such a professional exchange, including but not limited to;

Clear SLAs
Agreed time scales

Personally I think a donation and agreeing to the conditions of membership is by far easier, cheaper and more reasonable than making demands, I have no right to make, of someone who has provided a free 'service' for thousands of people, including me, for well over a decade.

I'm sure we are thinking of different standards. My standards include not making demands of an extremely good host, to satisfy my whims and not trying to use leverage I don't have, in order to force a response from someone who has no obligation to me.

Unicorn

Bless you and thank you Unicorn. You posted what I could not put into words. What some might not know, if I have my facts straight, is that the original site morphed and the owner started charging for memberships. That is when Steph made a place for us, free of charge, and the site has just grown by leaps and bounds.

I just want to say that when the upgrade does happen, if things here go down for a while, there is a back-up board, like someone else pointed out earlier. BUT. We also have another perfectly good forum to hang out at, over at The Beauty Bottle. (http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/index.php) I'm pretty sure Carolyn and I have the bugs worked out, but if someone has trouble with joining, just drop either one of us a line and we will take care of you. While I'm sure a lot of you won't want to be posting tons of pics over there (although it is quite welcome), at least we will have a spot to nest in where everybody knows your name!:cheese:

*justy*
xoxo

Unicorn
September 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
My thanks to you Justy and of course to Stephanie. I'm really hoping that neither you nor Stephanie are offended enough to wash your hands of the whole thing. I know of several sites that started charging membership fees as soon as the site became busy enough to be really useful. LHC is at a far more 'useful' and enjoyable stage than any of those sites were when they started charging.

Yes, these sites were built up and made valuable by the members and those same members then had to pay for what they helped build. That hasn't happened here and am grateful to Stephanie that the symbiosis has been allowed to remain in play. It's something I also admire her for.

I've no doubt that the majority of members appreciate your and her efforts.

Unicorn

PixxieStix
September 22nd, 2012, 09:46 PM
Well, I just got back from a few month hiatus, and while I have made a couple $20 donations in the past, I am certainly due for another one. An upgrade down the road for the LHC sounds wonderful. Good things are worth waiting for. In the meantime, it's good to be back and hanging out with all the lovely ladies and gents here. It truly is one of my "homes" on the internet, and I'd like to see this place going and thriving for decades to come.

Dang3rousB3auty
September 23rd, 2012, 02:10 AM
Ever since i joined the upload feature hasn't worked :( I would definitely help out..even just a dollar if it could help them fix the problem.

hermosamendoza
September 23rd, 2012, 08:04 AM
In all fairness, I posted what I was able to post. The upgrade won't be anytime SOON, but it is coming. For those of us who went the better part of a year without this site back in '08, it was frustrating. So at least we are still up and running. Patience is a virtue. :agree: And yes, the owner is possibly going to have to pay to have the upgrade, so all donations would be appreciated.

As for the question about how to donate if you don't have a debit/credit card or paypal, I asked and will wait to see if there is a solution. Hope this helps. :flowers:

Hey good news that is still to come is better than no news! thanks so much for your help! :D:D:D:D

hermosamendoza
September 23rd, 2012, 08:12 AM
All it needs to do now is make coffee

ha thanks you just reminded me my coffee is in the microwave!

hermosamendoza
September 23rd, 2012, 08:16 AM
I didn't know about the big crash of '08.
That happened to be the start of over a year without internet for me. I know all sites have their glitches and I'm just happy it hasn't shut down all together :D

Like I said even my hair google questions lead me back to here so it is a great site

PolarCathy
September 23rd, 2012, 10:36 AM
I don't know guys. I have asked this question back in August (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=2276710&postcount=353): "My unorthodox question is, how much $$$ is needed to give this job to some (external) professionals/company who can fix it?" ?

I bumped it twice since. No response from anyone (I mean, mods or something).

shutterpillar
September 23rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
Bless you and thank you Unicorn. You posted what I could not put into words. What some might not know, if I have my facts straight, is that the original site morphed and the owner started charging for memberships. That is when Steph made a place for us, free of charge, and the site has just grown by leaps and bounds.

I had no idea! I am totally ready to bust out some smores and hear old LHC stories around a campfire now. That really is an awesome thing to do.

I wish I had been here years ago and watched this place develop. It seems to have a lot of really great history and stories surrounding it.

DinaAG
September 23rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
can the website owners tell us the cost that will help a lot? im in

Vanille_
September 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
I guess I hold a minority opinion. Anyone can create a forum on the internet. It's the forum members who create the community. I will donate, but not very much because I have no idea where this money is going. As someone pointed out, this site gets ad revenue. Without any updates from the mods, I have no idea where this site stands monetarily. Do the ads make more than enough to support the site? Are donations unnecessary? What is it that the ads are not covering? How much money is being donated by members? I'm not sure what expenses this site has incurred or what it needs to be updated or to get the albums back.

On top of that, we get little communication from the higher ups about the status of the albums except, people are busy and don't expect it back anytime soon. And that was only after months of asking for an update.

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for being skeptical when donating money online. Most forums who ask for donations usually give some sort of perks - like getting rid of ads. I'm not saying LHC needs to give perks. I'm just saying it would be nice to see where our money is going.

justgreen
September 23rd, 2012, 11:50 AM
Just to clarify something. I had no idea these threads existed until a couple of days ago. I sorta live in blog-land and venture out sometimes to the off topic boards. I read this thread and a few minutes later had an answer to give to you, straight from the owner's fingers. You cannot donate with a specific stipulation that your money go toward's the picture album being fixed. It cannot be fixed until the site is upgraded. I cannot put it into any simpler terms.

The site is free. We have one Admin who usually does all the site work. She is busier than ten people combined IRL. Steph is going to look into finding out about getting someone to do the upgrade as soon as she gets into a house and has proper internet service. She is currently living in a travel trailer with two sons and a husband and she home schools.

Most of us know that Steph follows through and we are patient. I'm sorry that there are some of you who are demanding to know the cost of things when it's no one's business but the owner (singular). I can't get any clearer than this and still stay within the confines of the :knit: rule.

I'm happy to answer questions, but I will tell you straight out, some things I cannot divulge, so I report what I can. I can tell you that both sites will be upgraded, probably TBB first, so if things take a temporary nosedive here, we will have a superior landing spot to hang while we wait. Carolyn and I are Admins there, so we are always available to you. We don't mind pm's, as long as they are friendly . :agree:

Thank you, all of you who have been so understanding. :flowers: I agree with the camping out thingy, pass me a s'more please and the bug spray!

hippie girl
September 23rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Hello everybody!!

I hardly ever post to the board, but just felt like I wanted to chime in and say that I love this board just the way it is, albums or not, upgrade or not. I am an avid reader here, far more so than my posting activity may reflect, and I just couldn't stop myself from throwing in my two cents. (HAHA, get it! Donations? two cents? I know, I know, lame joke, but I am trying to keep this light!)

Anyone may be able to start an internet board, but really, do they actually make the effort to do so? It is not as easy at it seems. Gathering a following of active posters is DEFINITELY not as easy as it seems.

I, for one, think this board is the cat's meow. I totally appreciate it, album upload abilities or not. I am just as happy to use photobucket if need be! :)

The ads on this site could not be less obtrusive. Who can even complain about them?

If you choose to donate, great! I am sure that for all the years this site has been up and running, a couple dollars, (even if multiplied by a whole BUNCH of members) probably STILL only equals an hourly wage that most of us wouldn't even want to work for, once you did the math and divided by how many years this site has been around.

And you know what? Even if it turned out to make her a millionaire, good for her! That is what free enterprise is about. Rewarding good ideas and effort. She made the effort to keep the site alive in the first place, why not be rewarded for it? It was still work, wasn't it? Isn't that part of working hard, to eventually reap some type of reward for the effort?

This is a great place. We are members on a free-to-post board, and a great one at that. What can we possibly complain about? :confused:

I can't donate right now. But, I do not question weather the owner deserves a donation or not. I'm pretty sure that I've gotten way more out of this board than my zero dollars have given me so far….! :rolleyes:

Here is my logic: When I contribute (which I will plan to do on principle now, when I am able) I will be doing so to support PAST work we have all already benefitted from, not expecting it to be applied to FUTURE work on a site I don't pay a penny to even post on. I do not think that is outrageous. I think it is fair.

Upgrades, great! No upgrade? No problem! Free is still free! The board is free, folks!! :cheer: FREE!!

I hope I did not come off as too harsh and I am directing this at no one in particular. I just think we should all remember that this board could easily be pay-to-post, or not be here at all. I totally appreciate that it is free and that it exists!

And on a lighter note.. :cheese:
I like Muenster. When I was a kid I thought the orange edge was so fancy!! I think it is a most underrated cheese!

Cafe au Lait
September 23rd, 2012, 04:29 PM

Clear SLAs
Agreed time scales

Unicorn

Unicorn, I've always felt you are very articulate and appreciate your well thought-out posts.

I'll donate as soon as I get some extra cash in the bank. It's certainly worth it for what I've gotten out of these forums (and the blogs).

Unicorn
September 23rd, 2012, 05:50 PM
I second everything hippie girl said. Except I prefer brie :cheese:

Thank you Cafe au Lait :o Once my paypal funds clear I'll make a donation. Like HippyGirl I consider it a [token] thank you for the efforts I've already had the benefit of.

Thanks again for the clarifying for us Justy.

Unicorn

jeanniet
September 23rd, 2012, 07:40 PM
Thirding what hippie girl said, and what unicorn said as well. This isn't a product we're buying, or something we've commissioned. We're a part of this site, but the nuts and bolts of it doesn't belong to us, and we're certainly not involved in any of the work behind it. Asking for something to be fixed is one thing, but feeling that we're entitled to any more than what we get (for free) is something else. I really don't care where the donations go, because any donations I've made have been because I thought the site was worthwhile enough to warrant them, not because I expected something in return.

WaitingSoLong
September 24th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I guess I hold a minority opinion.

I will donate, but not very much because I have no idea where this money is going.

I am with you here but am torn. I love this site and think it is worthy of monetary support. Yet I have reservations. But, no one is holding a gun to my head. :p

Most of us know that Steph follows through and we are patient. I'm sorry that there are some of you who are demanding to know the cost of things when it's no one's business but the owner (singular). I can't get any clearer than this and still stay within the confines of the :knit: rule.

I'm happy to answer questions, but I will tell you straight out, some things I cannot divulge, so I report what I can. I agree with the camping out thingy, pass me a s'more please and the bug spray!

I am also torn on this.

The owner's personal life is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS. (ETA: her problems and financial status are her business alone. I actually think you gave out too much info already) But to say "most of us know..."...I don't think that is accurate. I did not even know her name until this thread, I have been here over 3 years.

People are people, though, and "unknowns" breed untrust and she, to "most" people here is a nameless, faceless entity that seems to have abandoned her site. I am not saying it is true, I am saying that is how it appears.

Honestly, I would love to have a link here on TLHC that tells the history of the site, something about the owners/founders (something generic, maybe a pic) and maybe a little bio about them. A lot of stuff seems purposely wrapped in mystery and people don't understand what the big secret is. If this info is already here, please direct me to it!

I am just trying to explain how it appears and why some people are guarded about donating and impatient about one of the features being down. Again, until this thread, I did not know there was a crash of 2008, I did not know the albums features was so new, how are we supposed to know such things unless we were here when it happened?

I hope this is not coming off rude, I just wanted to offer another perspective and I am not saying that is how I feel. At this time, I don't even know how I feel about all this (donations, etc). But I do know that the albums feature being down has not really affected me, so I don't see the fuss. As far as I am concerned, the feature can be turned off. Yeah, it is nice, but not really necessary IMO when we can still post pictures in threads. Plus we can link personal webpages and blogs so...?

And I am all for the campfire stories! Pass the caramel apples!

shutterpillar
September 24th, 2012, 09:16 AM
WaitingSoLong has said what I was trying to say, though she has put it much more eloquently. ;)

I agree! I would love a little LHC history lesson, and maybe even the chance to learn more about the admin and mods running this place (to the extent that they feel comfortable, of course). LHC is beginning to wedge itself into my "home forums" and I'd love to learn more about it. :)

justgreen
September 24th, 2012, 09:41 AM
I am with you here but am torn. I love this site and think it is worthy of monetary support. Yet I have reservations. But, no one is holding a gun to my head. :p

I am also torn on this.

The owner's personal life is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS. (ETA: her problems and financial status are her business alone. I actually think you gave out too much info already) But to say "most of us know..."...I don't think that is accurate. I did not even know her name until this thread, I have been here over 3 years.

People are people, though, and "unknowns" breed untrust and she, to "most" people here is a nameless, faceless entity that seems to have abandoned her site. I am not saying it is true, I am saying that is how it appears.

Honestly, I would love to have a link here on TLHC that tells the history of the site, something about the owners/founders (something generic, maybe a pic) and maybe a little bio about them. A lot of stuff seems purposely wrapped in mystery and people don't understand what the big secret is. If this info is already here, please direct me to it!

I am just trying to explain how it appears and why some people are guarded about donating and impatient about one of the features being down. Again, until this thread, I did not know there was a crash of 2008, I did not know the albums features was so new, how are we supposed to know such things unless we were here when it happened?

I hope this is not coming off rude, I just wanted to offer another perspective and I am not saying that is how I feel. At this time, I don't even know how I feel about all this (donations, etc). But I do know that the albums feature being down has not really affected me, so I don't see the fuss. As far as I am concerned, the feature can be turned off. Yeah, it is nice, but not really necessary IMO when we can still post pictures in threads. Plus we can link personal webpages and blogs so...?

And I am all for the campfire stories! Pass the caramel apples!

We are all entitled to our opinions and the only reason I gave a sliver about Steph's personal life is because so many (more than 3) were acting like she was just sitting there doing nothing. You still do not have the big picture, as there is more than I haven't gotten permission to share yet. It's one of the reasons I continue to post on this thread, to keep the rally going for a future upgrade.

When I say 'most of us', I'm talking about members prior to '08 and quite a few after '08 with whom we shared the news of the crash with. One of the main threads was how grateful we were to be back up and running, etc. As to finding out about older members, and the owner, one must simply follow the link supplied to the archived board. If you are TRULY interested in getting to know more about Stephanie, and don't want to bother with the archived site, then you'd have to become a member of TBB, which was created before she brought this site back to life. You can read a lot of her personal posts and get a glimmer of the person she is.

When the board was down , most of us started a blog on TBB and then after the site came up, we transferred the info and pics to our new blogs here. Some may not see this, but I consider starting a blog here, making it private for the photos sakes and then transferring data once the album thingy gets fixed, a temporary patch. I really can't see what the fuss is all about. Start a private blog (add friends to the mix if you want your pix ooh'd and aah'd over), and post your monthly shots on them. Don't jump on me, I know the majority of you want the pix to help record your length growth.:cool:

I'm kind of surprised this thread hasn't been reported for grousing about people running/owing the site. Continued complaints will not get this site the upgrade any faster.

Back to the campfire! I can't do caramel apples and cheese is off my eating list, but toasted marshallows and hot dogs make me drool!:eyebrows:

Dovetail
September 24th, 2012, 10:04 AM
This thread has been very enlightening. Normally, if I stick around a site for a year I start to do yearly donations in what I can afford and think would be a fair "membership fee" like you would for getting a magazine monthly or the like.

I am very low on cash as of now, but I'm glad to hear about the forthcoming upgrade and would be happy to donate "specific" funds to aid in the effort. Sites cost A LOT to run, and it's no easy feat.

I do like the idea of a "donation rally" though to support the site as a whole, maybe people could get a cute signature graphic saying " I joined the great donation rally of 2012" or something and the color gold silver bronze could be added based on the "tier" which the person donated in? Hm. The donate button is kinda inconspicuous way up there *squints and waves at the donate button* but I'm also glad it isn't over bearing.

justgreen
September 24th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I'm still in favor of the donations being kept private. There are MANY who cannot donate and some will never be able to. I'd hate to have that thrown in my face all the time. I know on a different hair site they have gold donated buttons under their member names. That makes me mad, for the reasons stated above.

WaitingSoLong
September 24th, 2012, 10:20 AM
The "about us" link on th TLHC home page just says that feature is "coming soon". I am not really interested in Steph's personal life unless SHE wants to share it with us. Just the site history and something about the people involved (like why the forum was made, etc.). Even then, though, it is more curiosity than "if I don't find out I'll be mad" or whatever. I was simply offering another perspective, since you seem to know so much more that we do, perhaps you didn't realize how may appear to the rest of us.

No, I know I don't have the big picture, and I never will. Neither do half the other people here. And I don't see why we have to be so in-the-know. I actually thought the albums question was answered already before this thread. But then, I was content without the albums or the info/answers other are wanting. Yeah it would be nice...but in the end...no big deal.

Maybe I am blind but I don't see anything hateful going on in this thread or any reason it would be locked or something due to the tone. I thought it was civil, but then, people read things with their own tone inflections in mind.

Gee, does that make it me? lol

piffyanne
September 24th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I do miss looking at albums a lot! I loved looking at everyones photos..even if we didn't talk or were not friends on here.
I also love albums with random stuff like pets and hair toys and crafty art projects people would make and post.
It totally feels incomplete not having the picture function. Yes, I could make a blog, or upload from photo bucket but its just so much easier to access having the albums on here.
THIS.:cool:

itdontmatter48
September 24th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I am willing to help out in any way1

justgreen
September 24th, 2012, 11:05 AM
The "about us" link on th TLHC home page just says that feature is "coming soon". I am not really interested in Steph's personal life unless SHE wants to share it with us. Just the site history and something about the people involved (like why the forum was made, etc.). Even then, though, it is more curiosity than "if I don't find out I'll be mad" or whatever. I was simply offering another perspective, since you seem to know so much more that we do, perhaps you didn't realize how may appear to the rest of us.

No, I know I don't have the big picture, and I never will. Neither do half the other people here. And I don't see why we have to be so in-the-know. I actually thought the albums question was answered already before this thread. But then, I was content without the albums or the info/answers other are wanting. Yeah it would be nice...but in the end...no big deal.

Maybe I am blind but I don't see anything hateful going on in this thread or any reason it would be locked or something due to the tone. I thought it was civil, but then, people read things with their own tone inflections in mind.

Gee, does that make it me? lol

I think you are more of a 'half glass full' type of person, the best in my book. But there are some who are never happy, even when you give them good news. Because you cannot wiggle your nose and make their problem disappear , you will not be the bearer of good tidings in their eyes. **I think you are very civil!!** :flower:

A lot of the knowledge that most of us have about each other, might be personal stuff, written in journals/blogs, that you only might learn if you are friended. So, there is another good thing about blogs. I know most of us don't want our personal stuff easily accessable, so we blog about it and have the blog private. Still, even those of us who have public journals wouldn't want someone else 'sharing' stuff from our blogs. That is a big no-no. Even to come here and ask publicly about someone's health, after reading about it on FB, is not kosher. So, to me, it kinda rolls back around to the dreaded blogs. :p Some folks just hate them. To them, the album picture thingy will be a thorn until the upgrade. I'm so sorry. It is what it is.

Vanille_
September 24th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I don't see any complaining. I see people discussing. WSL did a good job articulating what I was thinking as well. Shutting this thread down because some people aren't praising LHC enough seems rather fishy to me.

I guess my wariness is connected to something similar that happened in my past. One guy made an Amazing game. Hundreds and hundreds played it. One day, the game goes down out of nowhere. Creator says he will get to it but is busy. This was around ten years ago. From time to time he would update and let someone close to him know something big was coming. It's been ten years and there is still a forum of people waiting. The best thing the creator ever did was release the games code (limited functionality though) to ssome trusted players so they could at least play on a shell of the game. He only released it years later.

So when I see a forum struggling and hear it's because of a creator who has more imports things to do, this is what I think of. And that game creator took donations for something that never happened. This is different because most people donate for what they have got in this past. But then, he didn't get any ad revenue. So, fine. Keep us financially in the dark. But Im just saying some might donate more if we knew there was a specific problem.

As for money. I don't know if you were intentionally implying she was poor or down on her luck, but she could make so much money here. She has the audience. She could offer upgraded memberships. She could get creative and sell hair related items or LHC pride gear like shirts and whatnot.

WaitingSoLong
September 24th, 2012, 11:14 AM
I know a lot of people would buy LHC gear...shirts, stickers, wallets, etc. It hsa been discussed several times.

I also would be willing to pay for membership, but am afraid of the beast that might create.

I don't blog, never have, and cannot seem to get into reading other people's blogs. I do journal at home but no one ever reads it but me. I also burnt he journals after awhile. LOL. I am paranoid.

Pixie0763
September 24th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Count me in for a small contribution too.

justgreen
September 24th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I've read each entry posted here and no one has said anything about the thread being closed. I'm not worried about it.

The site will always be free, no payment required for membership. The original site went that way and lasted about a year. Like I said before, there is no democracy here. Come and play and make friends and grow hair, learn things about everything under the sun. The album will be fixed in the next upgrade. I'm done. I'm glad I was able to help out a bit. Those of you who are still unhappy, again sorry about that, carry on. :pumpkin:

Unicorn
September 24th, 2012, 02:00 PM
WaitingSoLong, Just a quick note on the notion/perception that the owner abandoning the site. I guess it a case of perception. I work in I.T. so from my perspective I'm aware that no abandoned site continues to function so well for any length of time.

Good maintenance is usually invisible, efforts are only visible when something goes wrong for long enough for a significant numbers of users to notice, (ask me how I know.... ) as this thread testifies. So from a professional perspective, I've have huge admiration for how unobtrusively the owner and mods manage to maintain such a great environment as well the technicalities of keeping the site up and running, particularly with such a large community.

Unicorn

akilina
September 24th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Gosh this thread got big quick.
Reading all the other replies..I just hope that I never sounded ungrateful at all. I don't think I did.
I love this site! It was also so helpful to read all the replies from you, justgreen.
Pictures are fun, but not crucial.
This forum is honestly..probably the best. I am not a member of any other hair forum..or any other forum for that matter. I have came across others and they are NOWHERE near as great as this site. Not one bit. I hope that we get to continue to enjoy this site and that it always stays up and running :)

justgreen
September 24th, 2012, 03:12 PM
WaitingSoLong, Just a quick note on the notion/perception that the owner abandoning the site. I guess it a case of perception. I work in I.T. so from my perspective I'm aware that no abandoned site continues to function so well for any length of time.

Good maintenance is usually invisible, efforts are only visible when something goes wrong for long enough for a significant numbers of users to notice, (ask me how I know.... ) as this thread testifies. So from a professional perspective, I've have huge admiration for how unobtrusively the owner and mods manage to maintain such a great environment as well the technicalities of keeping the site up and running, particularly with such a large community.

Unicorn

As usual, your post is both enlightening and well received. Thank you Unicorn! :flower:

Gosh this thread got big quick.
Reading all the other replies..I just hope that I never sounded ungrateful at all. I don't think I did.
I love this site! It was also so helpful to read all the replies from you, justgreen.
Pictures are fun, but not crucial.
This forum is honestly..probably the best. I am not a member of any other hair forum..or any other forum for that matter. I have came across others and they are NOWHERE near as great as this site. Not one bit. I hope that we get to continue to enjoy this site and that it always stays up and running :)

Thank you akilina. No, I don't think you sounded ungrateful at all.:)

Vanille_
September 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Unicorn

That was very insightful. Thanks for posting that.

Mrsbaybeegurl
September 24th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Here's how I see it, from my perspective donating money for a cause with an anticipated result should only be done if you know enough about the breakdown of where that money goes and exactly how it's used (most churches do this, stating what is used for the building, employees, discretionary fund, and events) This makes it so if you see THEY are not handling their funds in a way that you believe is responsible then you aren't "duped" into donating more and more.

NOW, I am in no way shape or form saying do not donate to LHC or anywhere else you may feel led to give, I'm just stressing IF your money is solely for a+b to happen, don't do it unless you know a+b will be done promptly when the needed funds are raised.

If you want to donate to LHC because you think this site rocks and want to show support then I am sure your donation means the world to the owner of the site and would be well appreciated and even well deserved!! But no where did the owner say some specific amount that was needed to get albums up and running, so don't sigh when thousands have been raised and 6 months come and go and we still don't have albums! If the one who owns this site hasn't specifically stated your donations will all be set aside for that purpose only then she can use it however she deems necessary, including paying her on bills, buying something extra nice, upgrading her own computer and so on....AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!!!

With the time and energy that the owner puts in, that's her call, this is her business so to speak so if you just want to show LHC some love, click the donate button and give as you see fit if you can afford to, just know your money may or may not speed anything up in regards to the photo albums, instead your giving as a sign of appreciation for this forum with no anticipated result of anything changing from the way it is as we speak :)

jackie75
September 26th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm more than willing to donate for such an important feature (Important to me anyway).

Thank you for sharing so much history about the site. Again, I will donate, as long as we as donors know for sure where the money is going and we can see for ourselves the upgrades, and it gives us the features we want. :) I have learned so much here...and I'm more than happy to contribute...as long as I'm not being suckered into giving away my hard earned money because someone is trying to screw me. I don't know personally who owns this site, I don't even know the moderators...but I know how a lot of people can be so evil and screw others for their own needs. Sorry if that sounds so pessimistic...but, I had more bad experiences with people than good...and people own/run this site....:o

As long as I am assured donations will be spent wisely and with the utmost respect and honestly...totally count me in.

LissaJane
September 28th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I don't have any cards or way to pay online (paypal doesn't work where I live). I'd be happy to post a donation, but it'd be in a strange currency and I'd worry about it not being received.

If anyone can come up with a way for me to donate and support this cause I'd be happy to. I really miss the albums.

AineMuirne
September 28th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Sounds like the donate button needs to be bigger! ;) I noticed it right off the bat, but I can't afford to give away a penny until early next year after I start my career. Poor college student! I'd basically be paying with my mother's money since all deficits in money are paid by her and my bills by themselves put me in a deficit.

As far as generating revenue, if there are ads on this site I wouldn't know, since I use Adblock. I've been on maaaaaany forums and the community here is by far one of the friendliest (tied with the betta fish forum I frequent). The members here make an easy job for moderators. I've seen forums offer upgraded features for continuing donators (people who donate a minimum amount every month), like a private donator forum, more album space, colored/customizable user names on forum posts, a special "donator" designator under username (with different ranks according to amount of money donated per month), and no ads (if this site has ads). The cost of implementing these features must be offset by the minimum donation amount to attain these features, of course. I've seen it anywhere from $5-50 required per month.

Also, a bar that is automatically updated through online donations that shows the approximate amount needed to operate the website per month filled up by how much has been donated for the month would help people know how much to donate and when the site needs it the most.

And, for the record, I am willing to donate my services if I can help in any way. I know a whole heck of a lot about programming (although my web experience is limited, web languages are similar to my fluent languages and I am currently working on a massive web development project with a group of 8 people) and I can figure out anything computer-related that I don't already know. Being a computer engineering student, I also have access to tons of free resources (until graduation in December). Based on the error when you try to upload, it seems like it's a server space issue, as the link to the database to create new files has been removed. If there is enough server space, it's just a database link issue.

cathair
September 28th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I am new here, but I thought I would add my penny's worth. You have 3 problems as far as I can tell.

1) The forum code is massively outdated, it needs upgrading.
2) You can't add pictures
3) Your web hosting isn't coping at all. You have too many users for the bandwidth you have and the forum is being overloaded daily.

So your main problem in my opinion is that you need new hosting. This would fix problems 2 and 3.

New forum code can be downloaded for free, you just need a few technical people to set it up. I am sure there must be some of them here, Unicorn seems to be one I am another, you probably have enough people in the forum for a team.

I don't have a lot of money to donate, but I wouldn't mind helping set up or testing an upgraded forum, I was a php web developer for a long time.

WaitingSoLong
September 28th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Wow I am glad someone seems to understand.

Am I the only one who couldn't access the forums yesterday?

AineMuirne
September 28th, 2012, 05:53 AM

No, I couldn't, either. It certainly lends itself to the issue being server space and that's really the best explanation for why the database isn't linked anymore and new files cannot be created.

I think the donation system needs a re-vamp with a record of how much has been donated vs. how much is needed. More people would be inclined to donate if there were a direct price tag and as a result of donations, a better host can be purchased. If the owner needs staff to work on this, it's apparent there are at least two people here willing to donate (as in FREE) their time.

WaitingSoLong
September 28th, 2012, 05:57 AM
I would definitely donate my time if I knew what I was doing, which I don't.

alyanna
September 28th, 2012, 07:54 AM

I couldn't either, which makes this thread so timely.

Yesterday, I just shut down my computer and resorted to watching X-Factor U.S. because I was at a loss with what to do with my time. I felt like there was a big black hole where the LHC used to be :o

I would love to contribute anything that would improve the site, even though I do think it is pretty fantastic as it is. I have rarely encountered such an informative, friendly, civil, online forum. Add to the fact that it's a huge community and that you can come on here and talk about anything, and that I've already made some great friends (better than some of my real-life friends).

Madora
September 28th, 2012, 07:55 AM

Same here. I tried from 6:30 AM to 10:00 PM. Same message "Server is busy".

That has been happening every day (at different periods)..sometimes swallowing my responses.

Maybe yesterday maintenance was being addressed?

MrsGuther
September 28th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I couldn't access the forums all day yesterday. :(

WaitingSoLong
September 28th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I was hoping it was some maintenance thing, too. Only because I have been getting a lot of error messages lately.

justgreen
September 28th, 2012, 09:36 AM
No, I couldn't, either. It certainly lends itself to the issue being server space and that's really the best explanation for why the database isn't linked anymore and new files cannot be created.

I think the donation system needs a re-vamp with a record of how much has been donated vs. how much is needed. More people would be inclined to donate if there were a direct price tag and as a result of donations, a better host can be purchased. If the owner needs staff to work on this, it's apparent there are at least two people here willing to donate (as in FREE) their time.

Before more people jump on the bandwagon to change the way donating is done here, let me again, state that the forum is NOT a democracy. The owner has chosen to do it this way. She does appreciate donations. She knows the problems, believe me, inside and out and will handle them. Who knows , maybe yesterday is the start of something new and wonderful. If the owner decides the donation system needs re-vamping, she will most likely do it without asking for money from us. ;)

shutterpillar
September 28th, 2012, 10:03 AM

I couldn't, either. I tried to log on around midnight and still could not get on last night when I went to bed around 11.

Glad it's working this morning, though!

justgreen
September 28th, 2012, 10:06 AM
A lot of us hung out on Facebook and The Beauty Bottle and had a good time. It's nice to have a place to go to.

Maybe
September 28th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Before more people jump on the bandwagon to change the way donating is done here, let me again, state that the forum is NOT a democracy. The owner has chosen to do it this way. She does appreciate donations. She knows the problems, believe me, inside and out and will handle them. Who knows , maybe yesterday is the start of something new and wonderful. If the owner decides the donation system needs re-vamping, she will most likely do it without asking for money from us. ;)

So Justy, I get what you are saying above.

I think though people are more saying, "if the owner is interested in upgrading the server, I would be willing to chip in for that". Especially if we knew it was going to take X number of people donating X dollars each kind of thing.....

People are more likely to act on specific information.

justgreen
September 28th, 2012, 10:45 AM
So Justy, I get what you are saying above.

I think though people are more saying, "if the owner is interested in upgrading the server, I would be willing to chip in for that". Especially if we knew it was going to take X number of people donating X dollars each kind of thing.....

People are more likely to act on specific information.

Thank you for posting. :flower:

I have already posted that the owner needs time, to either do it herself or have it done by someone of her choosing. Truly people, donate if you will, for what you have learned here, what LHC has taught you, and for the friends you have made on your journey to healthy hair/long hair. The site will be fixed, that is a given. It won't get fixed FAST if a bunch of us donate all at once. Also, there is no way to funnel funds into having the album feature fixed . It's all general.:pumpkin:

I think the title of this thread is kind of confusing. People click on it expecting to be able to donate to a non-existent fund, finding out the problems and then wanting to honestly try and help. It's greatly appreciated but we are just beating that poor old horse.

WaitingSoLong
September 28th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I couldn't, either. I tried to log on around midnight and still could not get on last night when I went to bed around 11.

Glad it's working this morning, though!

I was actually surprised it was working.

I am also surprised this thread is still active. LOL

Maybe
September 28th, 2012, 01:48 PM

I have already posted that the owner needs time, to either do it herself or have it done by someone of her choosing. Truly people, donate if you will, for what you have learned here, what LHC has taught you, and for the friends you have made on your journey to healthy hair/long hair. The site will be fixed, that is a given. It won't get fixed FAST if a bunch of us donate all at once. Also, there is no way to funnel funds into having the album feature fixed . It's all general.:pumpkin:

I think the title of this thread is kind of confusing. People click on it expecting to be able to donate to a non-existent fund, finding out the problems and then wanting to honestly try and help. It's greatly appreciated but we are just beating that poor old horse.

Fair enough. I went ahead and donated.

hermosamendoza
September 28th, 2012, 02:52 PM

I didn't mean for it to be confusing. That's why I put the question mark and stated I was looking for information. If moderators think the title should be changed then that's okay by me.

AineMuirne
September 28th, 2012, 02:55 PM

This has nothing to do with types of government- it's good business to listen to your consumers. Honestly, even if I had the money, I wouldn't be inclined to donate without a specification of how much is needed vs. how much has been donated and a breakdown of fees assessed. Obviously the site is not asking for money, so it's kind of a non-issue, but given the errors it seems like the site needs money, which is the point of this thread. Members are reaching out to figure out what they can do to help fix the issues and offer monetary support. And, based on these responses from you, it seems like there is no interest in acquiring member help to fix the issues. So, I guess this is all a moot point.

PetuniaBlossom
September 28th, 2012, 04:05 PM
My day sucked yesterday because I couldn't get onto LHC. Wow, that was a shock!
I just want to say I love this site. I've learned so much and my hair is being transformed. And it's all been FREE! I mean, really, it doesn't get any better than that.
So if, as someone has suggested, there's a move afoot to sell LHC merchandise (mugs, T-shirts, bumper stickers, etc.) I think it would be a win-win. The site would get some needed revenue, it would be totally voluntary, it would create some free advertising for LHC in the real world, and people would get something tangible in addition to the intangible benefits we get from this site. What could be bad?
As far as the owner is concerned, I say bless her for all she's done so far. And ditto for the Admin, and ditto for the Mods.
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

rowie
September 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I think i've said this in another similar thread, but i'm willing to pay for space to have albums, and also to by pass the 1000+ and 365 day requirement in order to have animated gifs for avatars and a user title. Having a user title is more important for me to have because if I want to go on an "LHC sabbatical or break" I can just say so on my user title, that way people will know i'm on leave for certain amount of time.

justgreen
September 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I didn't mean for it to be confusing. That's why I put the question mark and stated I was looking for information. If moderators think the title should be changed then that's okay by me.

You've done nothing wrong! Please don't feel bad. It's my opinion, this thread is kind of an information wagon.:)

justgreen
September 28th, 2012, 05:59 PM
My day sucked yesterday because I couldn't get onto LHC. Wow, that was a shock!
I just want to say I love this site. I've learned so much and my hair is being transformed. And it's all been FREE! I mean, really, it doesn't get any better than that.
So if, as someone has suggested, there's a move afoot to sell LHC merchandise (mugs, T-shirts, bumper stickers, etc.) I think it would be a win-win. The site would get some needed revenue, it would be totally voluntary, it would create some free advertising for LHC in the real world, and people would get something tangible in addition to the intangible benefits we get from this site. What could be bad?
As far as the owner is concerned, I say bless her for all she's done so far. And ditto for the Admin, and ditto for the Mods.
:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

I know at one time there were several of us who had t-shirts made at Cafepress (http://www.cafepress.com/?aid=45302871&sa=l&ai=CAeVCHwccUNegOqXGsQKc_IGQBdPWkawCk6nsozLDtNODBw gAEAEgtlRQhsTErAZgyb6GjeSkwBOgAYOp1P4DyAEBqgQST9AP bUIzRqG14u02sFMzJIM8gAWQTg&ggladgrp=11783639861033636729&gglcreat=2042211413345537860&sig=AOD64_2KktqUVpQqxSTGU8pPonP2rNpABA&ved=0CHUQ0Qw&adurl=http://www.cafepress.com/%3Fcmp%3Dknc--g--us--pri--cp_brnd--e--cafe_press%26pid%3D3607873%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26ut m_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_campaign%3Dpri--cafepress_brand%2B-%2Bus%26utm_content%3Dsearch-e%26utm_term%3Dpersonalized%2Bgifts&rct=j&q=personalized+gifts). We also have had our own personal little 'business' cards made, advertising TLHC, along with the website and our user name on them. I still have a lot of mine and every now I then when I'm out, I'll see a person with gorgeous hair and I'll pass them a card, telling them how pretty their hair is.

Group orders have been banned here (although we still have them over at TBB) for good reasons. If you were interested in a fund raiser I'd suggest you PM a mod. I'm sure they'll be able to tell you why it's not feasible or whether it's a great idea!:)

WaitingSoLong
September 28th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I really like the idea of LHC merchandise. I would even be willing to do the actual making of some products.

I have made little business cards like Justy said but I have yet to give one out. I had intended them for people who ask me about my hair. I am too introverted to approach people.

MeowScat
September 29th, 2012, 04:08 AM
I really like the idea of LHC merchandise. I would even be willing to do the actual making of some products.

I have made little business cards like Justy said but I have yet to give one out. I had intended them for people who ask me about my hair. I am too introverted to approach people.

I have been hoping that one day you would make and sell your hair "tube" sleep stocking. It is exactly what I've been looking for. I love my sleepcap, but I'd rather not have to sleep on my bunched up length at my nape.

What other products would you make / sell?

End hijack!

I would donate to LHC, I love this place so much. I need to look into opening a PayPal account.

FrannyG
September 29th, 2012, 09:05 AM
I've been a member here for over six years. I've seen LHC when it was a smaller (but still large) group, and I see it now.

A lot of people seem to think that the ads support this site fully. Perhaps there was a time when it did many years ago, but today, a lot of people have ad blindness or use AdBlock and don't even see the ads, let alone click on them. Most of the ads here require that they be clicked on order for them to generate any money.

Yes, there are problems with this site technically right now. Clearly there is not enough bandwidth for the throngs of members and guests that are posting at any given time. Yes, it's frustrating not to have photo galleries, for some people.

On the other hand, there is no other website that I know of on which I have ever felt such a bond with members. I have made so many real friends here, and those friendships have gone far beyond the bounds of LHC.

The reason for that? It all goes back to how Stephanie set this site up in the first place. The motto on the old, archived board was "Helping you to achieve your goals through friendship and knowledge". That means whatever your goal is. And the friendship aspect has always been important here. You may notice that a lot of LHC members who have cut their hair shorter are still members here. It is because of the people here whom they care about.

I know Stephanie outside of this board and I trust her without question. I am certain beyond doubt that every penny donated goes to maintaining this board in one way or another. There are so many unseen aspects to maintaining a board this size.

So, I do donate when I can, and I have ever since August of 2006. I'm not looking for any magic fixes ASAP when I do so. I donate because of the many gifts this site has given me.

As to why you won't see mods or admins on this thread, well, it's because they are not allowed to solicit donations, or give the appearance of it. It's as simple as that.

I hope that some of you will rethink your positions on the matter.

Vanilla Mint
September 29th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I'd donate.

Lark
September 29th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Donation done, with as much "server busy" notes I have been getting lately it seems a good time to make one!
I would like to hear more about these business cards you all have been using, I am thinking of ordering some next time I order them for the shop. What all do you put on them?

justgreen
September 29th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Donation done, with as much "server busy" notes I have been getting lately it seems a good time to make one!
I would like to hear more about these business cards you all have been using, I am thinking of ordering some next time I order them for the shop. What all do you put on them?

Most of mine are simple. I'll put my username in the left hand corner, then the name and address of the site as the main part of the card (middle) . Then I usually put my email address down at the bottom, just in case they have problems. I don't put any of my real info on there, other than my email.

Lark
September 29th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Great idea JustGreen Thanks!

MasCat
October 1st, 2012, 09:19 AM
Do you think putting "I donated to LHC and it felt good" in my signature would be considered as boasting?

Because I just did it and it did feel good ;) I'm almost sure that my hair grew a milimeter from that :D

:cheese:

PrincessBob
October 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM
On another forum about a year ago one member made an awesome hair-relate item and sold it , then donated the proceeds. Everything was dealt with on the site (swap-board style) and it was awesome.
I am wondering, because I am not monetarily endowed. However, I make me some nifty hair-related crochet ;) If I were to start an Ebay auction with the proceeds (minus shipping) to benefit LHC, do people think that would be appropriate/ how many people would be interested?

PeacenQuietGal
October 1st, 2012, 01:30 PM
I confess i haven't read this whole thread, but I will definately contribute once there is a paypal button to click on or whatnot.

justgreen
October 1st, 2012, 02:06 PM
I confess i haven't read this whole thread, but I will definately contribute once there is a paypal button to click on or whatnot.

Paypal is accepted. Just click on that orange 'Donate' button on the top right of the page and it will take you to the forms of payment.

WaitingSoLong
October 1st, 2012, 08:04 PM
PrincessBob, I thought selling self-made items was prohibited on TLHC?

Lovely idea, though.

PrincessBob
October 4th, 2012, 05:38 PM
PrincessBob, I thought selling self-made items was prohibited on TLHC?

Lovely idea, though.

That a good point. This is why I was asking for thoughts and opinions. I knew It wouldn't work out for the swap board rules, so I thought about doing it on Ebay, then donating the proceeds.
Perhaps I will look into other avenues of fundraising for LHC.

justgreen
October 19th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I might have to go back and re-read this thread, so there might be some ETA's added on before I'm finished. LOL

I'm going to attempt to try and explain some things. One of them is why a fundraiser for LHC is not feasible. 1. Nothing like this would happen without mods/Admins to help. 2. Mods/Admins cannot help, it is a major rule that they are not allowed to do any fundraising of any kind for LHC/TTBB.

I've recently learned how much it takes to run ONE site for a month and I'm floored, really. And Steph runs TWO of them. Also got a gander at the cost of the upgrade for LHC. Shock is putting it mildly. So what I'm about to say is for the good of the sites AND all the members.

Donating is so simple. All it entails is for you to travel up this page to the right corner where the BIG orange button is and click on it. It will take you directly to the paypal site for this forum. I know that some of you cannot donate simply because you don't have a credit/debit card or a paypal account. A snail mail thing is being mulled over. You haven't been forgotten in this. :) The donations are used for both sites since they are both owned by Stephanie and she is in charge of the monies. Yes she makes some revenue from the ads that run on the banner at the top of the page, but donations would be greatly appreciated and welcomed. It is not possible for you to 'dog ear' your donation to go to a specific board function . So if you feel you've learned valuable lessons, or this site has helped you save your hair, that you've made good friends, etc., then please follow through.

Another thing. Please let's not come on this thread, or any other thread that might get started, telling that we've donated. This should be a private matter and the small glow that you get knowing that you've donated should be enough. I say this because I feel bad for the people that CANNOT donate, having to read that everyone is jumping on here saying they've donated. I know it seems impossible in this day and age, but there are still folks that do not have internet capabilities in their homes. I know that some people access this site through the computers at Libraries.

If I've learned ONE thing in the past two weeks, it's that a LOT of you seem addicted to this site.....weird huh?