PDA

View Full Version : MP brush: my thoughts

whiteorchid
September 20th, 2012, 12:20 PM
I did a lot of research on boar bristle brushes before buying my "one," and in case there are any other people in the same situation, I thought I'd give my review of the Mason Pearson brush. It's CRAZY expensive, which is why I hesitated, but I ultimately bit the bullet. They're made in England, which explains some of the extra cost, as opposed to something made in a country where the labor is cheaper.

Before using the MP, I'd been using a round Ambassador BBB (or maybe it had nylon too; not sure), and I've also used a flat boar/nylon brush occasionally from the drugstore (don't remember the brand). I've recently switched from CO to WO, and I wanted to see if the MP would help me with my WO goals.

The biggest difference I noticed with the MP is that my hair isn't as flattened and heavy looking right after brushing. Also, instead of my hair looking like an oily helmut at the top right after brushing, the oils seemed to be distributed more evenly and further down my hair. After brushing the top, I usually then flip my hair over, brush it upside down, and then comb the top a little after I flip it back. After doing all that with the MP, my hair looked good, and after a thorough brushing the next day, even the lower half of my hair which is damaged and dry looked much better.

I don't think the MP brush will break my hair strands either, which is good. The bristles are very stiff, but feel good against my scalp--it's relaxing. It's also very easy to clean with it's own little cleaning brush.

Is it worth the extra money? I don't know if it would be for everyone. For me personally it is because I plan to have the brush for a very long, long time. I can tell it's a well-made brush, and I do see a difference in my hair. I don't know that the difference is drastic, but for me personally, I'm willing to pay an extra premium one time for a subtle positive difference that I'll enjoy for many years (fingers crossed that I never lose this brush!!). I hope all that's helpful for someone. :)

whiteorchid
September 20th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I just wanted to add one last thing (I don't see a way to edit my original post?). I saw a very noticeable difference in texture with my older daughter's hair with the MP (she's 7). It turns her hair to silk! I wish it did that to mine, but my hair is pretty badly damaged. I'll take less dry for now, lol! :) My younger daughter had done an impromptu rinse earlier with water that I suspect had some toothpaste mixed in (she's 5), so the MP hasn't had a fair chance yet with her hair. But I was really surprised at the difference in my older daughter's hair. To be fair, we've also all switched to WO, and I'm sure that's added to my older daughter's texture. But, I'd used the Ambassador brush just that morning, and there was a definite difference in the silkiness of her hair after using the MP last night.

IndigoOptimist
September 20th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Sounds like it's doing great things to your hair! I personally couldn't bring myself to spend that amount of money on a hair brush - I don't have that kind of disposable income, rent/bills come first :p - but I'm glad that you think it was worth that money ;)

katfemme89
September 20th, 2012, 03:04 PM
I just checked the price of these brushes, thinking that "high priced" would be like 20 or 30 bucks..... Boy, was I mistaken! HOLY CRAPBALLS THAT'S EXPENSIVE! :faints:

Katleen
September 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I got mine as a christmas present about 20 years ago somewhere. It still looks as good as new, honestly. And I keep it in my handbag all the time, so it's not always treated gently :-)
Even if I had to pay for it (which I couldn't afford in those days, I was still in school), it would soo be worth the money...

Syaoransbear
September 20th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I had one, didn't like it, and sold it. The bristles were way too stiff for my hair and a lot of the bristles had split ends that snagged on my hair or got lint trapped in them. Now I'm a devoted tangle teaser fan!

I'm always tempted to buy another one in case my brush just happened to be dud, though, because everyone else seems to love them!