PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Cassia and Henna

henné
September 20th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Hello everyone!

I've been considering going back to henna ... again ... after only 5-6 months of hennabstinence. However, I'm kinda sorta over the deep mahogany I get from henna and want something much much lighter and subtler as I feel the deep rich color 'washes me out' a bit. I don't want to go red or orange, I want to go more 'strawberry blonde' or just have reddish highlights, etc - still reap the benefits of henna while not having as much color deposition and as little as possible 'brassiness' that I had for the first two weeks after hennaing my hair.

Therefore, I've been considering mixing cassia and henna, however, I have no idea how does one properly mix those before applying it. I'm thinking about doing about 70-80% cassia and 30-20% henna. Or perhaps you have better recipe/idea? :)

Does anyone here have any experience with this? How do you do it and what results do you get? I would love to get some detailed descriptions and perhaps even pictures of the finished 'product'? :o

My natural hair color is dark blonde ... mousy light brown ... I guess.

These are the best pictures of my natural hair color (the roots) I've taken recently ...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8307/7995417797_8759997272_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8295/7995381311_ce2a6e12a7_c.jpg

Thank you!!! :flower:

Amber_Maiden
September 20th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Mix up your henna. When the henna is ready, mix it with the cassia (which you prepare seperately. That's how I do it for my hair. I think going with 15-20% henna should work, and if the colour is too light, you can slowly build it up.

henné
September 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks Amber_Maiden!

bunnylake
September 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM
I thought you could not lighten henna or use henna to lighten hair at all, and that cassia will only effect the coloring of blondes. Maybe someone else knows better than me, though!
Maybe you could try honey lightening and then a mix of mostly cassia with just a little henna?
I hope it works out for you. You have lovely hair!

henné
September 20th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Bunnylake ... Yeah, I know one can't lighten henna except with using honey, etc., I'm talking mostly about my new uncolored growth and a new hair color I'd like to have as my hair grows out ... the length will just stay whatever color it is, even though it has washed out a lot thanks to my two honey lightening sessions and deep oiling. I'm trying to find a good mix without having to experiment too much (it's rather expensive and lengthy).

Anyone else? :)

auburntressed
September 20th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Your hair is beautiful. I second Amber Maiden's advice. You might also try leaving mix on for a shorter period of time at first, like no more than 2-3 hours. If the color is not deep enough, you can always leave it on longer the next time around. :) Good luck.

henné
September 20th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks! I think I'm going to go with Amber's suggestion :)

I was kind of hoping for some pictures :o