PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that like to cut their own bangs...

Kati75
August 10th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I found these two videos extremely helpful. (Yes, I confess: I used to be a coconut head! :eyebrows: This iris-to-iris thing was totally new to me. But it does look oh so much better.) Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGP3Ct1US94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWFcP_AJ79I

annarose
August 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Very interesting! I too was coconut head :silly:

I watched a few of the first ones videos, she's a little cutie and quite informative too. I like the clip on extension one.

Thanks for posting this Goldberry!

yogachic
August 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Oh this darn Dial up. I don't even bother with Youtube videos because of dial up. I really wish i could view them. *sob*

Elainehali
August 10th, 2008, 10:10 AM
hehehe. I'm currently thinking about getting bangs. I'll prolly go to great clips though. At least that way, if it looks stupid, I can blame someone else!

=P thanks for the posting.

bunnii
August 10th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I always thought cutting vertically damaged the hair? I guess you're gonna trim your fringe my regularly so it doesn't matter that much. good videos though.

Kati75
August 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Yes, I guess if you cut your length vertically, that wouldn't be good. But I trim my bangs about twice a month, so damage doesn't really have a chance to show up.

Yogachic, if you can't see them I can write an instruction for you, if you like. :writer:

Shanarana
August 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Oh this darn Dial up. I don't even bother with Youtube videos because of dial up. I really wish i could view them. *sob*

You can view them if you let it load completely....open a window and just let it load with the volume down and go back after a couple of minutes or so and when you see it loaded you should have no problem viewing them.

Elainehali
August 10th, 2008, 02:50 PM
lol I changed my mind and cut my own bangs according to the fist video.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/elainehali/08-10-08_1142.jpg

I went to walmart and the checkout lady complemented my hair. Looks like it was a nice change! She was amazed that I did it myself. yay.

bunnii
August 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM

I went to walmart and the checkout lady complemented my hair. Looks like it was a nice change! She was amazed that I did it myself. yay.

Looks nice well done doing it yourself i'm not quite so brave lol

annarose
August 10th, 2008, 02:56 PM

Oh very pretty Elaine!! Did you do the longer fringey sides also?

Kati75
August 10th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Wow, Elaine, your bangs came out perfect! Congrats!!! :cheer:

eadwine
August 11th, 2008, 01:58 AM
First video: wash, blow dry, straighten?
If I did that my bangs would look like crap :lol: I have two cowlicks in there.

Here is how I do it. Wash it, air dry, wait till next day till you come home from work. Slighty comb it so it sits in its natural way and then cut on sight in front of a mirror.

That is the ONLY way for my bangs to come out slightly reasonable ;)

tiny_teesha
August 11th, 2008, 04:34 AM
I used to trim my bangs monthly just about but now i decided to do it once a year so i get a wider variety of looks to my face, that way my style is always changing so i don't get bored (only bad thing is about 5 months of it is a transitional BAD length but once that is passed (just did this month) it is all good!)

I taught myself at the start of highschool. I just section the hair, i used to do it straight but now it is triangular slightly and then snip while it is wet about 2cm longer then i want it and it comes out perfect. I had it trimmed at nose lenght for ages. I had it really thick with longer bits on the side to my lip length- i think that style looks best on me but i want to try growing my fringe out because i haven't done so in about 10 years and i want to see how i look without it for fun i guess...lol.

The past 2 years i have also decreased the thickness in my fringe, it was too thick, now it is too thin- but i prefer the rest of my hair to look that much thicker by the hair in the fringe growing into it.

tiny_teesha
August 11th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I used to trim my bangs monthly just about but now i decided to do it once a year so i get a wider variety of looks to my face, that way my style is always changing so i don't get bored (only bad thing is about 5 months of it is a transitional BAD length but once that is passed (just did this month) it is all good!)

I taught myself at the start of highschool. I just section the hair, i used to do it straight but now it is triangular slightly and then snip while it is wet about 2cm longer then i want it and it comes out perfect. I had it trimmed at nose lenght for ages. I had it really thick with longer bits on the side to my lip length- i think that style looks best on me but i want to try growing my fringe out because i haven't done so in about 10 years and i want to see how i look without it for fun i guess...lol.

The past 2 years i have also decreased the thickness in my fringe, it was too thick, now it is too thin- but i prefer the rest of my hair to look that much thicker by the hair in the fringe growing into it.

lapushka
August 11th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I found this how to video on sideswept bangs:
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/57954_women-hair-side-swept.htm

darl_in1
August 11th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I can't see the links at the moment as I'm at work and they're blocked, but as someone who has trimmed their own bangs before, I thought I would add my word of caution.....

I am still growing back my eyelashes from last time. it's easy to trim more than you bargined for!!!:rolleyes:

chelles2kids
August 11th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I found these two videos extremely helpful. (Yes, I confess: I used to be a coconut head! :eyebrows: This iris-to-iris thing was totally new to me. But it does look oh so much better.) Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGP3Ct1US94

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWFcP_AJ79I

Thanks so much for sharing these videos!!
I've made the mistake of looking like a coconut head before too, but I love the Iris to Iris tip, I've always cut from the outer tip of the eyebrow.:p

Michelle

VanillaTresses
August 11th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Interesting- I do a shorter bang and adapted my method from how I watched the cosmetologists do it on myself and on family with a similar style. I end up with more texture rather than a blunt cut. As a finey I tend to stay away from the blunt cut look because even when clean it tends to look thin/greasy (not something I want to be aiming for)!

I do wash before cutting, comb while wet, then air dry. Once hair is dry, I again carefully separate out the bang section (don't take too much from the sides!) I like a "triangle" shaped bang rather than a crescent-shaped one so I part from a point at the top which is approximately 2" into my hairline.

I use a 45 degree angle point-cutting technique. I gather all bangs to the front and then point cut, then straight up (towards ceiling) and point cut, then to the right and left (separately) and point cut. Lastly, I let them lay naturally and make any last necessary cuts.

Arg- it is hard to explain, maybe one day I will do a tutorial! :)

Kati75
August 11th, 2008, 08:52 AM
I think that's a very good idea! Many ladies here have bangs, so how about if those that trim theirs themselves all wrote a tutorial with "after" pictures! Since everybody's bangs look a little different, it's going to be so much fun trying others' methods and getting a slightly new look every time we trim.
That's what I like best about my bangs, anyway, the option to change my look very quickly without sacrificing any "real" length. :)

Elainehali
August 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Yeah I did the side fringe too..I really liked the way it came out I look like a fairy now!!

For me it wasn't that brave cause I'm still growing out a layerd cut from years ago that had bangs. So the part up front was short and damnaged anyways.

Razor cuts are not my friend.

jeno
August 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I found this how to video on sideswept bangs:
http://www.expertvillage.com/video/57954_women-hair-side-swept.htm
Thankyou for this link! I have been searching for how to do this and I will try it out soon! I think sideswept bangs suits me, but I haven't been able to figure out the best way to cut them.

lapushka
August 14th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Thankyou for this link! I have been searching for how to do this and I will try it out soon! I think sideswept bangs suits me, but I haven't been able to figure out the best way to cut them.

You're welcome! I hope it works for you! Tried it myself a few times, and I was afraid to cut off too much each time. The shortest piece is about noselength.

Juneii
August 14th, 2008, 12:32 PM
this totally clears up everything! I'll keep this in mind if I ever go crazy and try to cut my own bangs :P thank you for sharing!