PDA

View Full Version : No no no no no: Fabric softener on hair. Gah!

gossamer
September 19th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I followed some link to buzzfeed earlier and when I'd finished looking at 40 pictures of cute bunnies or whatever, I saw a link to 35 Lifechanging Ways to Use Everyday Objects (http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/35-lifechanging-ways-to-use-everyday-objects).

The first eight were your standard Pinterest fodder.

Then #9 made me squeal out loud in horror.
http://x3e.xanga.com/64ef8b7530433283388341/s225993120.png (http://www.buzzfeed.com/peggy/35-lifechanging-ways-to-use-everyday-objects?sub=1569886_299592)

Click above photo to take you to the entry, I'm not sure if the photo they picked conforms to LHC community standards (undressed Barbie doll).

Using Downy as an example since it's in their picture, that fabric softener gets an F from Environmental Working Group (http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/1750-DownyUltraDownyLiquidFabricSoftenerAprilFresh), their lowest grade. Products are given an F for "potentially significant hazards to health or the environment or poor ingredient disclosure." In general, all fabric softeners get a F from EWG (http://www.ewg.org/guides/substance_groups/79).

And this seems like a great product to put on hair? The logic, where is it, I don't even...

emilia83
September 19th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I'm new here, so I'm not altogether clear on the standards for hair products. That EWG website looked like it was mostly for cleaning products, though, and I didn't see any other hair care products for comparison.

I also googled it and found an archived LHC entry here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-1960.html) ... though the verdict seems to have been that it was a terrible idea. But it seems to have once been a thing!

Some of those were legitimate tips, though, like the iPhone in the bowl thing. Yay, Buzzfeed! :)

longNred
September 19th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Maybe downy does wonders for your barbie's hair? Idk, I only use white vinegar as a fabric softener. DHB and DS are super sensitive to scented things.

Also, if your mascara has dried out to the point of needing to add saline to it, perhaps you should just buy some new mascara and save yourself the trouble.

I did like a few of them... Shoes in the shower cap is smart!

Tisiloves
September 19th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Baking soda on a grease fire doesn't seem any easier than the damp tea towel method (the damp tea towel also works if your not emptying the crumb tray has set your toaster on fire).

gossamer
September 19th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I'm new here, so I'm not altogether clear on the standards for hair products. That EWG website looked like it was mostly for cleaning products, though, and I didn't see any other hair care products for comparison.

I also googled it and found an archived LHC entry here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-1960.html) ... though the verdict seems to have been that it was a terrible idea. But it seems to have once been a thing!

Yes, I quoted the site for cleaning products because Downy is a cleaning product. EWG's site for cosmetic safety is called Skin Deep (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/). You can compare your hair products there. Cosmetic products, instead of being rated on an A - F system are graded on a 1-10 scale.

For example, Suave's Pomegranate Splash Conditioner (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/405155/Suave_Naturals_Conditioner%2C_Pomegranate_Splash/) gets a 5/10 for ingredients that some people are very allergic to, ingredients with developmental/reproductive toxicity, and other issues. My favorite conditioner, Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/445342/Garnier_Fructis_Haircare_Triple_Nutrition_Fortifyi ng_Cream_Conditioner%2C_Dry_to_Over-Dried_or_Damaged_Hair/), doesn't fare much better, getting a 4/10. Not great, I know, I should probably find a less potentially harmful one.

Dovetail
September 19th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Geh!

I will admit that I *HAVE* used dryer sheets in the winter to tame my fly-aways (I know better now) but I wouldn't ever leave a harsh cleaning chem. on my scalp @.@

runawaystarling
September 19th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Geh!

I will admit that I *HAVE* used dryer sheets in the winter to tame my fly-aways (I know better now) but I wouldn't ever leave a harsh cleaning chem. on my scalp @.@

oh god me too with the dryer sheets! lol don't know what i was thinking :p

spirals
September 19th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Well, to play devil's advocate, the conditioners that work best for me contain stearalkonium chloride, which is also commonly contained in fabric softener. I suppose concentrations mean something here' though. :hmm:

missannie
September 19th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I love love love to put dryer sheets in the heater vents though, it makes the whole house smell good!

riceball
September 19th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Maybe downy does wonders for your barbie's hair?!

Yeah, I used to wash my wigs with woolite, very diluted though! haha

gossamer
September 19th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Studies like this out of University of Washington tend to make me worry about fabric softeners and dryer sheets in general. Putting it on your hair seems like it might compound the exposure.

The sweet smell of fresh laundry may contain a sour note. Widely used fragranced products – including those that claim to be “green” – give off many chemicals that are not listed on the label, including some that are classified as toxic.
A study led by the University of Washington discovered that 25 commonly used scented products emit an average of 17 chemicals each. Of the 133 different chemicals detected, nearly a quarter are classified as toxic or hazardous under at least one federal law. Only one emitted compound was listed on a product label, and only two were publicly disclosed anywhere. The article is published online today in the journal Environmental Impact Assessment Review.

Link to press release. (http://depts.washington.edu/exposure/press_release.html)

I do realize that this is a larger problem associated with many artificial fragrances, not just laundry products. Unfragranced body products are difficult to find here, but at least I can avoid using some other heavily fragranced things in my daily life.

Miss Catrina
September 20th, 2012, 12:29 AM
I came across this and was similarly horrified. Pretty sure those bottles usually say to make sure you wash it off well if you get any on you... I don't want that on my head! Seems like it would really coat the hair, too...

gthlvrmx
September 20th, 2012, 12:33 AM
what. O.O

no.

Jorja
September 20th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Ha I tried this when I was a teenager, I saw Limahl from Kajagoogoo on a Saturday childrens show and he said that's what he did. If you remember his hair, it should have been warning enough not to try it ....:o

Ticky
September 20th, 2012, 04:22 AM
^ Oh, so that's why his hair was so... Like that. :D

Speaking of fabric softener as conditioner, I used to know someone who used it for those purposes. Her hair did look nice, but... No, thank you, I'll pass. There are many conditioners to choose from.

Henrietta
September 20th, 2012, 04:43 AM
I am not even surprised. I just *sigh*.
The outside world is crazy.

millyaulait
September 20th, 2012, 04:50 AM
*clutches chest*!

If I even get a little softener on my hands while putting it in the washer.. My hand stings and itches!

I can just imagine hair screaming in horror & melting off. Perhaps an exaggeration, but still. ;)

LissaJane
September 20th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I wouldn't everververvevevevever use fabric softener on my hair... But some of these ideas look really handy and I plan on trying them.... I love the little plants in the corks as fridge magnets! So cute!

gossamer
September 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't everververvevevevever use fabric softener on my hair... But some of these ideas look really handy and I plan on trying them.... I love the little plants in the corks as fridge magnets! So cute!

Agreed, those are adorable!

The article had many other great sounding ideas - just NOT this one!

JellyBene
September 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM
So believe it or not I used to do this when I was in middle school! I diluted some fabric softener (1:1) in some water and used it in my hair in the shower then rinsed it out like a conditioner. It actually made my hair quite soft and fixed my static problems. Nowadays I wouldn't do it though

bunnylake
September 20th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Guhhh Skin Deep. I take everything on that site with a grain of salt.

Loviatar
September 20th, 2012, 09:59 AM
In a book I have, Cutting Confidential by Shaun Lockes (the pseudonym of a celebrity London hairdresser) he swears by fabric softener as the only thing that can untangle badly matted hair, usually done by an over-zealous junior piling it all up on top of the head and scrubbing, at the backwash. :shrug:

GlassWidow
September 20th, 2012, 10:08 AM
When I was posting on a pregnancy board, there was a woman in my group who had pretty severe pica. She used to DRINK fabric softener. (Or maybe she was a troll. :lol:) Bad for you under normal circumstances, but horrible when you're hosting another being!

I can't stand the smell of dryer sheets or the liquid stuff, so I don't use them in my laundry, let alone on my hair (or in my digestive system).

hermosamendoza
September 20th, 2012, 10:46 AM
My mom always used dryer sheets to calm the static electricity in my hair as a kid. ugh the smell i hated it!

Tisiloves
September 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM
When I was posting on a pregnancy board, there was a woman in my group who had pretty severe pica. She used to DRINK fabric softener. (Or maybe she was a troll. :lol:) Bad for you under normal circumstances, but horrible when you're hosting another being!

I can't stand the smell of dryer sheets or the liquid stuff, so I don't use them in my laundry, let alone on my hair (or in my digestive system).

I know someone who ate charcoal. Pica is a weird, weird thing.

Faux
September 20th, 2012, 11:53 AM
That's scary. I'm pretty allergic to fabric softener too. 0.o

terylenerose
September 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
This is another example of the weird world we live in. When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately got a mental picture of hair being dissolved by fabric softener. As I'm sure some of you can testify, it's not nearly that bad, but still.
As a side note, when I saw the picture accompanying "use a cereal container as a trash disposal in your car", my first thought was "that's a cereal container??"

gossamer
September 20th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Guhhh Skin Deep. I take everything on that site with a grain of salt.

Agreed, it's important to look at that part in their ingredient info about the strength of the data. If it's good or robust, I'll give it more credence than just a grade based on limited or fair data.

krustallos
September 20th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Perhaps it is because I am still a hair neophyte, but I was as much scared when I read there, 'Use dental floss to cut soft cheese and cakes' as when I read about the fabric softener.
This website should be illegal! I mean, do we really need more people doing weird, lazy stuff around?

'Use a banana to fix a DVD' :mad:

piffyanne
September 20th, 2012, 10:38 PM
This is another example of the weird world we live in. When I saw the title of this thread, I immediately got a mental picture of hair being dissolved by fabric softener. As I'm sure some of you can testify, it's not nearly that bad, but still.
As a side note, when I saw the picture accompanying "use a cereal container as a trash disposal in your car", my first thought was "that's a cereal container??"
Bold mine.

:rollin: Me too, terylenerose! You're in good company, if I can call myself "good":eyebrows:!

justgreen
September 20th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I carry the used fabric softener sheets in the pockets of my winter jackets/coats/sweaters. That way every time I pull open the door on a retail store I won't get a shock that makes me need to go find a Depends. :agree:

MandyBeth
September 21st, 2012, 02:04 AM
The mascara one is crazy. You replace mascara every three months - or should. Plus, mine are nearly always oil based, saline will just make a mess.

Fabric softener however does work better than coney serums to unpick bad tangles.

Tota
September 21st, 2012, 02:12 AM
Fabric softener on hair??? I don't even use it on my fabric anymore!

Jorja
September 21st, 2012, 03:10 AM
I carry the used fabric softener sheets in the pockets of my winter jackets/coats/sweaters. That way every time I pull open the door on a retail store I won't get a shock that makes me need to go find a Depends. :agree:

:DLOL

I'm the same on escalators, if I touch the hand rail I get a shock

Milui Elenath
September 21st, 2012, 03:21 AM
It's funny timing to see this thread. I restore dolls - recently barbies - as a hobby and I used to use fabric softener but I didn't have any since I haven't restored dolls for a while and I don't and never have used it on my clothes.

So instead of fabric softener I used conditioner because it was more environmental (the one I purchase). Funnily enough I had to buy some since I don't use it. All the while I was thanking LHC for teaching me about CO and curly hair not for myself but for the dolls hair!

You can see how it's kind of ironic to me to hear fabric softener being recommended on real hair when I have gone the opposite way on the dolls hair from fabric softener to CO. :D

RubyTuesday
September 21st, 2012, 03:28 AM
Ha I tried this when I was a teenager, I saw Limahl from Kajagoogoo on a Saturday childrens show and he said that's what he did. If you remember his hair, it should have been warning enough not to try it ....:o

But it was dead cool at the time.

Too shy shy
Hush hush, eye to eye
Too shy shy
Hush hush, eye to eye

(Dances round bedroom singing into TangleTeezer) :cheese:

MinderMutsig
September 21st, 2012, 03:45 AM
But it was dead cool at the time.

Too shy shy
Hush hush, eye to eye
Too shy shy
Hush hush, eye to eye

(Dances round bedroom singing into TangleTeezer) :cheese:
EYE TO EYE!

*Does vogue poses*

TiffanieJean
September 21st, 2012, 05:07 AM
The worst part as that there are women who will do it. UUGH...

CurlyCurves
September 21st, 2012, 12:10 PM
I have done it once *blush*

LoveSnap
September 21st, 2012, 01:32 PM
I am Oh-Kay without fabric softener in my hair. I am part of the dryer sheet club though. I would put one in my silk cap after a night of clubbing. It takes some of the smokey smell out of the hair and keeps your cap and pillowcase smoke free. lol.